I eat cats

Bought Cygolite Mitycross 480 on sale, keep it?

I was at REI the other night looking around and had some gift cards to use. I saw a Cygolite Mitycross 480 on sale for $160 when it was originally $250 so I bought it knowing I could return it if I wanted to after doing research (it was the last one and it came with the helmet and bar mount). I know it was on sale because they have since come out with the Mitycross 800 to replace the 480 but I am wondering if I should take the deal I got or return it and just buy the 800 for probably $70 more since I want the bar and helmet mount? The beam seems bright enough on the 480 and I was probably going to order a cheap light from China off ebay or amazon as a 2nd light. Is an 800 going to make a huge difference? I am new to night trail riding and want a decent light to start. Paying the difference for the full priced 800 isn't an issue but saving $ is always better than spending it!

Or.. should I look for a better light/brand in that price range? Only reason I went with REI is the gift cards but I can use them for other items and buy a light elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    For the price of the 800 you now can be looking at lights like the Gemini Duo, or the Gloworm X2. Both are very similar in output aprox 1100 measured lumens which would be a very noticable upgrade over your 480 and have a good following because of their value and quality for the $$$. Also the lamp heads are much smaller and lighter than the 480's.

Don't get me wrong as i'm not dissing the Cygolite brand, my Triden X was one of my all time favorite systems, but in my opinion the Gloworm/Gemini offer much more for that price point. The Gloworm X2 and the X1 for the helmet is getting great feed back right now and would be all you would need for a high quality, high output combo. The Gemini combo would be their duo and the Xera for the helmet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Take it back and try a Jetlites F-U2. 825 lumens that you can wear on your head and has field replaceable batteries for as much run time as you want. Plus it's fairly cheap at $200 with two batteries (for over 3 hours run time) and there's no cable to deal with. It comes with a helmet mount. Helmet lights are better.