Ex-Clydesdale

Blast from the past - Cateye Daylites

These are so old, I should probably post in the vintage and retro forum instead.

This is my first set of lights, bought them back in... uhhhh... 1995 I think. They were pretty sweet back then, one light for flood, throw the switch for "high beams" that would turn on the spot in addition. Good ol' halogen bulbs in these babies. The upside to the dual bulb setup was not being left in the dark when (not "if") a bulb would blow. Anyway, thought the old school crowd might get some nostalgia, and the n00bs can see what lights were used before LED, HID, and Lith-Ion batteries. Heck, if I had a 6V battery I could do some beamshots, I think that 17 year old sealed lead acid battery wouldn't power a wristwatch at this point.

I figure with GloWorm and Gemini coming out with their dual beam headlights, my old Cateye might give them some competition. (or yell at them and tell them to get off the lawn)

Size comparison: Daylites, a cheapo backup light in the middle, and my XML-T6 commuter light on the right..
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

Light freak
    Very cool

Thanks for sharing.

Ex-Clydesdale
    Now that I'm thinking about it... I think I have a couple of new 6V batteries laying around that I bought for an APC UPS that ended up having a bad controller. I'll have to check when I get home...
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

Light freak
    You can also overvolt them with about 8.4-9V's.

dumb ass
    this was my first light setup. pretty pimp at the time. not so much now...
    Baby seal walks into a club.

mtbr member
    ah, the memories! My first light was a Vistalite periscope light pimped out with a 10W bulb and a 6V motorbike battery. I used to have so many crashes using that thing, especially following the older guys with their hot shot Lumicycle twin halogens

You should fire it up if only just for nostalgia, then do some comparison beam shots

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    ah, the memories! My first light was a Vistalite periscope light pimped out with a 10W bulb and a 6V motorbike battery. I used to have so many crashes using that thing, especially following the older guys with their hot shot Lumicycle twin halogens

You should fire it up if only just for nostalgia, then do some comparison beam shots
    HA! I had the same one as my first light! I had forgotten what brand it was but when you said, "periscope", that jogged my memory. I still have the old Vistalite battery bag kicking around somewhere. As I recall it had a real nice spot pattern. I think I got one season out of it because the old NiCad battery just lost it's umph and would only run about 30 min before dimming.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Those weren't my first good lights (Vistalight VL400s have that honour), but mine did still work and I actually sold them a couple weeks ago, all they needed was a replacement gelcell. I sold them and a Nitehawk Digital Emitter E2 light as a package deal for $60.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Great, thanks! I had those lights! Traded up to Niterider Classics after these. Not the Classics with the remote switch but the originals with the switch on the lighthead.

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight View Post
    Those weren't my first good lights (Vistalight VL400s have that honour), but mine did still work and I actually sold them a couple weeks ago, all they needed was a replacement gelcell. I sold them and a Nitehawk Digital Emitter E2 light as a package deal for $60.
    I started with the VL430's. I thought they were pretty sweet at the time! What a pitiful setup compared to modern lights... 20w of crappy yellow light and I was lucky if the battery lasted for 1.5 hours.
    baker

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Mine were the 430s too. 6v-5ah sla battery and a pair of 10w halogen bulbs. The adjustable focus was the best thing about them. I used to mount them to my fork legs just below the crown.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread