Web Director

BikeRayUSA Ray IV Water Proof Test

Last edited by BikeRayUSA-Michael; 04-27-2012 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Changed Video URL

mtbr member
    Was there any water ingress? Some of these boards will happily run when wet but corrosion will kill them over time.

Could you run it for 5 minutes, then turn it off and put it in the water too.

Cat is fond of showering with his lights but we don't want to see that on Video.
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

Web Director
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit View Post
    Was there any water ingress? Some of these boards will happily run when wet but corrosion will kill them over time.

There was no water ingress. There definitely would be seepage under a greater amount of water pressure - say like below 5 feet.

That would be quite the test in terms of thermal shock. We will test that out and post a video.

Cat is fond of showering with his lights but we don't want to see that on Video.
    We had this one customer shower himself off after night rides with our Ray II. He told us he would jump into the shower with the helmet and light head - which is not completely waterproof - almost everyday for a year. Finally it went on him. We gave him a new one - because we were so impressed with how long our weatherproof only lighthead is. We also advised him to stop doing that

Web Director
    BikeRayUSA Ray IV Thermal Shock Test

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    This may be a silly question, but its something I have noticed a bit lately, where a manufacturer sticks their light in a bucket of water for a while and says "hey, our lights are waterproof!", in order for this claim to be made, should the product (lights, battery, whatever) be tested and certified by an independant testing facility? Is this testing actually done, or is the cost of doing such tests prohibitive in this end of the market and the bucket test is considered to be good enough?
    Last edited by tb123; 04-30-2012 at 10:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The BR IV has been independently tested... by people who bought one. It failed rather miserably. You are right to take that company propaganda with a grain of salt.

Web Director
    Propaganda?...lol..It's just a fun video I put together.

My golf shoes say thay are 100% waterproof. Would my toes stay dry if I went swimming with them ?

But Rider445 is right - you should take everything you find on the forums with a grain of salt.

@tb123 - I'm not sure if there is an industry standard or independent testing - I'm not the light tech dude. But I'll ask about that and get back to you ASAP.

We stand behind our products 100% with our 1 year FULL warranty. If there is water damage - we will repair or replace your light for free.
    Last edited by BikeRayUSA-Michael; 05-01-2012 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Typo

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeRayUSA-Michael View Post

@tb123 - I'm not sure if there is an industry standard or independent testing - I'm not the light tech dude. But I'll ask about that and get back to you ASAP.
    There are standards, such as Liquid Ingress Protection (Waterproof).
    I have a torch that meets IPX-8 for instance, not sure how or if it needs to relate to bicycle lights though

IP Code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for some further info

wasnt having a go at Bike Ray in particular, it's something I have noticed while hanging around these forums.
    Most products I have dealt with in my personal and professional career are designed and tested to meet certain standards, however the bicycle light industry appears to be a little "fast and loose" when it comes to various claims of lumen output and waterproofing for example, so thought I would ask the question

Web Director
    Quote Originally Posted by tb123 View Post
    There are standards, such as Liquid Ingress Protection (Waterproof).
    I have a torch that meets IPX-8 for instance, not sure how or if it needs to relate to bicycle lights though

IP Code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for some further info

wasnt having a go at Bike Ray in particular, it's something I have noticed while hanging around these forums.
    Most products I have dealt with in my personal and professional career are designed and tested to meet certain standards, however the bicycle light industry appears to be a little "fast and loose" when it comes to various claims of lumen output and waterproofing for example, so thought I would ask the question
    I think there is an IP Code thread someone on this forum, but I can't find it right now. Something about deciphering exactly what the Chinese mean by IP IV and/or IP VI.