Albany West Oz

Bike ray III help

I have a bike ray III working perfectly but there is something loose rattling around inside, sounds pretty solid. Took the lens off but what next? How do I get in to have a look?

Cheers dave

big legs, small brains
    Before you tear it down and void your warranty, give your local Bike Ray dealer a call. Our shop does instant warranties on all Bike Ray products purchased from us and will contact BikeRayUSA about any other problems.

Good Luck
    Kyle

Albany West Oz
    Thanks Kyle, I live in Western Australia so it is often simpler to fix things myself than do the shipping thing.

Just wanted to check it out before a 12hr I've got coming up.

Albany West Oz

Self Help

Okay, given the overwhelming response and now that the light has stopped working completely I will strip it down as best I can. So for others who may need to fix one of these here is what I found...

Do not remove lens and LEDs, no access this way!

Remove plastic switch cover, use some circlip pliers to slip into the two small notches and unscrew the back of the light.

Pull out the circuit board, by holding the sides of the switch and pulling firmly.

You have now disassembled the light and completely voided your warranty.

Congratulations, you are well on the way to being Australian, if you threw the instructions away without reading them you could probably apply for citizenship.

Anyhow... it is clear that the heat sink thingo was the rattle and now that it has broken off, no light. In the next installment I will try to solder it back on with a screwdriver heated up in the fire. I will then triumphantly use it for the 12hr next weekend.

Pics below for those who skipped school and can't read. Red lines show where the heat sink was connected.

Cheers.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Freediver View Post
    Okay, given the overwhelming response and now that the light has stopped working completely I will strip it down as best I can. So for others who may need to fix one of these here is what I found...

Do not remove lens and LEDs, no access this way!

Remove plastic switch cover, use some circlip pliers to slip into the two small notches and unscrew the back of the light.

Pull out the circuit board, by holding the sides of the switch and pulling firmly.

You have now disassembled the light and completely voided your warranty.

Congratulations, you are well on the way to being Australian, if you threw the instructions away without reading them you could probably apply for citizenship.

Anyhow... it is clear that the heat sink thingo was the rattle and now that it has broken off, no light. In the next installment I will try to solder it back on with a screwdriver heated up in the fire. I will then triumphantly use it for the 12hr next weekend.

Pics below for those who skipped school and can't read. Red lines show where the heat sink was connected.

Cheers.
    I'm a little confused, are you calling the inductor a heat sink? ( the circle thingy with copper wire wound around it ). Anyway if you are, just to let you know that is part of the actual circuit. If that came off you have a big problem. If you can reattach it the way it came hopefully it will work. Cross your fingers.

Personally I think you would of been better off sending it back to Bikeray because the light head is guaranteed for life. My bet would of been that you would have gotten a new one for free and had it shipped and delivered before the annual Drop Bear migration begins at the end of the month.

Albany West Oz
    Inductor (thanks for the heads up on the nomenclature) is now re-soldered to circuit board and behold, there is light.

Whilst I respect the commitment that a lifetime warranty represents, (I do own two Cannondales) you just can't beat a bit of impromptu shed time with no clue and a soldering iron.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Freediver View Post
    Inductor (thanks for the heads up on the nomenclature) is now re-soldered to circuit board and behold, there is light.

Whilst I respect the commitment that a lifetime warranty represents, (I do own two Cannondales) you just can't beat a bit of impromptu shed time with no clue and a soldering iron.

Cheers.
    Ace!....always good when things work out.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    If the inductor is only attached by the soldered wires, it will break off again. It is commonplace to attach an inductor to the PCB with neutral cure silicone, epoxy (be sure it is non-conductive), hot glue, etc.

Albany West Oz
    Vancbiker - done, excellent idea. Yet another use for liquid nails!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Good work and thanks for the photos.