Thread: Bike Ray III

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Bike Ray III

I want another light for another bike...

I have seen the 3 x XPG Bike Ray III

So do I get that or another P7 MS type light?

Will the 3 x XPG be more powerful?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 9speed
    More lumens, probably. Depends on what bin they use and how hard they are driven. Better beam quality, who knows?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Check out the Light and Go thread. Good reviews from MTBR shootout. They have both XPG and P7 lights.

GeoMan
    The Bike Ray III is really nice, lightweight, has a 20 degree lens for nice flood on the bars. Triple XPG provides longer burntime on the same battery as a P7.

I want another light for another bike...

I have seen the 3 x XPG Bike Ray III

So do I get that or another P7 MS type light?

GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GEOMAN
    The Bike Ray III is really nice, lightweight, has a 20 degree lens for nice flood on the bars. Triple XPG provides longer burntime on the same battery as a P7.
    ok, now you are being nice and helpful and I feel bad lol

GeoMan
    No worries 9speed. The Bike Ray III lighthead is 130 grams and runs really nicely on the bars with a P7 on the helmet, we have been impressed with this lighthead.

ok, now you are being nice and helpful and I feel bad lol
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    No worries 9speed. The Bike Ray III lighthead is 130 grams and runs really nicely on the bars with a P7 on the helmet, we have been impressed with this lighthead.
    well sorry I have been so stinky.. just playing devils advocate as per usual...

GeoMan
    No worries at all, everyone is entitled to voice their opinions. We understand that many folks are disappointed that this process is taking so long. We take safety very seriously and our position has always been to address issues as they arise and after investigating the battery quality issues we have opted to perform a voluntary recall for the safety of all consumers. Bottomline, it is taking longer than we wanted but it will be a quality product that will be safe and reliable.

well sorry I have been so stinky.. just playing devils advocate as per usual...
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

aha

aha
    Last edited by Ray Light 2008; 02-18-2011 at 09:16 AM. Reason: update

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Nice. When?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Last edited by Ray Light 2008; 02-18-2011 at 09:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I hope it doesn't look like Mickey mouse...

mtbr member
    I hope it doesn't look like Mickey mouse...
    me too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks GeoMan, we will do better for you and for all our customers!

Klydesdale
    Feb 2005

Is this a sign of things to come?

GeoMan
    Wow that looks like a 130 gram triple XP-G paired with a 5.8 Ah German made Open-Light battery, if I had to guess I think run-time on high would be just over 4 hrs 20 mins.

Quote Originally Posted by klydesdale
    Is this a sign of things to come?

GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Is there somewhere in the US these can be purchased? Bike Ray USA doesn't have them listed yet.

GeoMan
    What's your timeframe, do you need it tomorrow, next week or is 2-3 weeks ok?

Quote Originally Posted by joraff
    Is there somewhere in the US these can be purchased? Bike Ray USA doesn't have them listed yet.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Run time: Boost 1280 lumens 4.4 hours

Low 600 lumens 14.4 hours

Flash 200 lumens 150hours

No kidding 14 hrs and 600 lumens about how much are you going to ask for these Geoman
    Defiantly got to get one of these
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Geoman, SINCE you asked, there's actually a 12 hr race Saturday that I'm doing but, they'll have light rentals.

Otherwise, no rush. Sounds like you're expecting some soon :P

GeoMan
    Hey Raku

We think those manufacturers numbers are a little inflated as usual, we have been testing this lightset for quite sometime. We replaced the 5.0 Ah Chinese battery pack with a 5.8 Ah German Battery Pack (4 very high capacity Panasonic cells ). Our runtime on high was right around 4.5 hours but we think the output is probably closer to 950-1000 lumens. Beam pattern with the stock 20 degree lens is wide and floody, we suggested an easily swapped out 15 degree lens to BikeRay for helmet use, they are very proactive and have a great product. Pricing is yet to be determined but is just around the corner

Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman

No kidding 14 hrs and 600 lumens about how much are you going to ask for these Geoman
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

GeoMan
    Nice, the 12 hour format is excellent, especially in winter. Best of luck and I hope the weather warms up for you. We'll have these available on the site really soon, excellent for barmounting with the stock 20 degree lens.

Quote Originally Posted by joraff
    Geoman, SINCE you asked, there's actually a 12 hr race Saturday that I'm doing but, they'll have light rentals.

Otherwise, no rush. Sounds like you're expecting some soon :P
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    @Geoman, correct me if I am wrong - do you intend on carrying BikeRay lights? or were you referring to the new battery pack replacements for Magicshine lights?

@Bike ray, do you have complete stats for the IV version coming out in March 2011? Will you offer purchase options for "Light Head Only" WITHOUT battery packs?

mtbr member
    Hey Raku

We think those manufacturers numbers are a little inflated as usual, we have been testing this lightset for quite sometime. We replaced the 5.0 Ah Chinese battery pack with a 5.8 Ah German Battery Pack (4 very high capacity Panasonic cells ). Our runtime on high was right around 4.5 hours but we think the output is probably closer to 950-1000 lumens. Beam pattern with the stock 20 degree lens is wide and floody, we suggested an easily swapped out 15 degree lens to BikeRay for helmet use, they are very proactive and have a great product. Pricing is yet to be determined but is just around the corner :thumbsup:
    I can't wait to see what one of these will do with a 15 degree lens. It will still be floody but 15 degrees is better than 20. Geoman if you start selling these please make an announcement when you have them on your website.

GeoMan
    Hi Chromag, yes we have been working with BikeRay on the Ray III and Ray IV for several months. We have been testing Ray III units since late November.

Quote Originally Posted by Chromagftw
    @Geoman, correct me if I am wrong - do you intend on carrying BikeRay lights? or were you referring to the new battery pack replacements for Magicshine lights?

@Bike ray, do you have complete stats for the IV version coming out in March 2011? Will you offer purchase options for "Light Head Only" WITHOUT battery packs?
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

GeoMan
    Absolutely Cat, we think that the triple with a 15 degree lens on the helmet and the quad with a 20 degree lens on the bars might work really nicely and still be affordable enough for everyone to enjoy. We will make an announcement as soon as we are ready to go live. The 20 degree beam pattern is one big bright halo, there is no hotspot.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    I can't wait to see what one of these will do with a 15 degree lens. It will still be floody but 15 degrees is better than 20. Geoman if you start selling these please make an announcement when you have them on your website.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The bikeray lll is a cool light. The beam is similar to hope Vision 4, only brighter. Smaller light head too.

ride for fun
    Hi Chromag, yes we have been working with BikeRay on the Ray III and Ray IV for several months. We have been testing Ray III units since late November.
    GM would you consider giving someone who has two recall ms lights some kind of trade in or upgrade deal? my ms lights are still running strong -er i mean sitting in a ceramic bowl on the concrete pad beside my house - but this looks like a nice upgrade...
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    I understand that engineering has value in and of itself. But in the end, it's still just a pile of aluminum tubes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman

The light I have looks ok for 1200 lumens on High.
    Low looks more like 300 Lumens.
    Flash looks the same as High

GeoMan
    Hi Nick, unfortnately we are bound by some very strict CPSC guidelines when it comes to any of the recall issues and remedies, they must be uniform for everyone. We have been working hard in the background, expect to see some really cool products coming to GeoManGear this year.

Quote Originally Posted by nick d
    GM would you consider giving someone who has two recall ms lights some kind of trade in or upgrade deal? my ms lights are still running strong -er i mean sitting in a ceramic bowl on the concrete pad beside my house - but this looks like a nice upgrade...
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

GeoMan
    Hey Cat, we just listed the RayIII with two different battery options on the site

http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?...dex&cPath=4_33

GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

GeoMan
    Agreed, we think low is more like 300 lumens too. Runtime is really amazing in low mode, the XP-Gs are extremely efficient when they are driven in the low mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Inigo_Questa
    The light I have looks ok for 1200 lumens on High.
    Low looks more like 300 Lumens.
    Flash looks the same as High
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this light. I've tried to order the foride from lightandgo on a few occasions but the website seems to have it's problems. I'm hoping this light is close in comparison although it sounds like from the information I've read there's about a 400 lumen difference. For the simple fact that Geoman is involved in these threads and has a great reputation I've got to go with the BikeRay. I rarely post, but I have to say what Geoman is doing is pretty cool.
    "Ride it Like You Stole it"!

GeoMan
    Thanks DH, we'll take care of you when you are ready, the Ray III is very impressive when comparing output/price/weight

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt_hog
    I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this light. I've tried to order the foride from lightandgo on a few occasions but the website seems to have it's problems. I'm hoping this light is close in comparison although it sounds like from the information I've read there's about a 400 lumen difference. For the simple fact that Geoman is involved in these threads and has a great reputation I've got to go with the BikeRay. I rarely post, but I have to say what Geoman is doing is pretty cool.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Hi Geoman,

This light does look impressive. One question though. Your website lists it with a 100mm extension cable. Surely it must be a typo and it should read 100cm?

Arek

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Geoman...do these have the 20 or 15 degree lens? And will the other lens be available?

GeoMan
    Yes thanks, it was a typo, have edited it to read 100cm. We think output is approx 950-1000 on high and 300-350 lumens on low, have discussed with Manufacturer about their listing of 1280 on high and 600 on low as it seemed inaccurate. Runtime on low is insane it seems to burn forever. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Arek
    Hi Geoman,

This light does look impressive. One question though. Your website lists it with a 100mm extension cable. Surely it must be a typo and it should read 100cm?

Arek
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Agreed, we think low is more like 300 lumens too. Runtime is really amazing in low mode, the XP-Gs are extremely efficient when they are driven in the low mode.
    What about the high mode? The 1280 lumens is manufacturer's rating as stated by you. What's the realistic output? Can we count on honest 1000 lumens on the trails?

Thanks,

Arek

GeoMan
    These have the 20 degree flood lens, we are waiting for Bikeray to develop a tighter beam pattern so it will be a perfect helmet mounted lighthead as well. Right now it works brilliantly on the bars and is a decent single lighthead for the helmet as it provides enough spot and flood for riding at 75% daylight speed. For full daylight speed nightriding it works perfectly on the bars with a 900 on the helmet. Bikeray is keen to work on product enhancement especially now we are up and running with their products.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr
    Geoman...do these have the 20 or 15 degree lens? And will the other lens be available?
    Last edited by GEOMAN; 02-15-2011 at 07:19 AM.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

GeoMan
    It's very close to 1000, the hotspot with the 20 degree lens is larger than the Magicshine 900 halo. If we had to guess we would think it's generating approx 50% more than the P7 emitters that the 900s use. Definitely more efficient as the burntime is slightly better than a P7 on the same battery on high, it's a win-win situation, more light, similar weight and better burntime and a 1 year warranty.

What about the high mode? The 1280 lumens is manufacturer's rating as stated by you. What's the realistic output? Can we count on honest 1000 lumens on the trails?

Thanks,

Arek
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

GeoMan
    Bikeray just gave us the ok to use the following ratings: High 1000 lumens and Low 300 lumens, we think it's fairly close to actual. High could be 950-1050 lumens and low could be 300-350 lumens

It's very close to 1000, the hotspot with the 20 degree lens is larger than the Magicshine 900 halo. If we had to guess we would think it's generating approx 50% more than the P7 emitters that the 900s use. Definitely more efficient as the burntime is slightly better than a P7 on the same battery on high, it's a win-win situation, more light, similar weight and better burntime and a 1 year warranty.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Right now it works brilliantly on the bars and is a decent single lighthead for the helmet as it provides enough spot and flood for riding at 75% daylight speed.
    I'm looking at this light as my helmet light. Considering I've been riding and racing with a Niterider Firestorm for 4-5 seasons now as my only light, and it being what - ~500 lumens or so? - I don't see how Bike Ray III would be anything but an improvement, even if it's floodier than the spot beam of my Firestorm. Or am I missing something here?.. Perhaps not as much range due to the flood vs. spot?

Roughly double the lumens, about the same runtime (4hrs.), definitely lighter and smaller(both light and battery), and attractive price. I think I may have found my next light.

GeoMan
    The N/R Firestorm had decent throw but that 700 gram NiMh battery pack would stretch my jerseys when put in the pocket. We have been testing the Ray III for several months and have found it to be a great lightset. Bikeray discussed producing a drop in lens with a tighter beam pattern for GeoManGear as soon as we suggested it, this would be an improvement for helmet mounting option.

I'm looking at this light as my helmet light. Considering I've been riding and racing with a Niterider Firestorm for 4-5 seasons now as my only light, and it being what - ~500 lumens or so? - I don't see how Bike Ray III would be anything but an improvement, even if it's floodier than the spot beam of my Firestorm. Or am I missing something here?.. Perhaps not as much range due to the flood vs. spot?

Roughly double the lumens, about the same runtime (4hrs.), definitely lighter and smaller(both light and battery), and attractive price. I think I may have found my next light.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    The N/R Firestorm had decent throw but that 700 gram NiMh battery pack would stretch my jerseys when put in the pocket. We have been testing the Ray III for several months and have found it to be a great lightset. Bikeray discussed producing a drop in lens with a tighter beam pattern for GeoManGear as soon as we suggested it, this would be an improvement for helmet mounting option.
    Yeah, the Firestorm battery is long and it's an achor too, for sure! But that's exactly how I've been using it - in the back jersey pocket. Uncomfortable, but it's worked so far...

Geoman, just to go back to my previous post, can you address my question there directly? Would Bike Ray III, even with the flood lens have better range/throw than my NR Fs?
    Also, any timeline for that optional lens? Would I be able to buy it separately later and drop it in myself?

GeoMan
    I gave my N/R Firestorm to an MTBR member last year so I don't have one to compare with but I would say the throw with the 20 degree lens is similar but the Ray III flood is far greater and lights up a much larger area. Providing Bikeray produces the lens as we suggested, it is a 5 second drop in for the consumer. That silver bezel unscrews easily and the lens plugs in without any tools. If Bikeray does produce the lens it would be available quite soon, their development team is extremely responsive. We wanted to get some of these out there and combine MTBR feedback with our own with regard to tightening the beam pattern and then go back to Bikeray with a suggested lens degree for development, we think somewhere between 10 and 15 degrees might be perfect.

Yeah, the Firestorm battery is long and it's an achor too, for sure! But that's exactly how I've been using it - in the back jersey pocket. Uncomfortable, but it's worked so far...

Geoman, just to go back to my previous post, can you address my question there directly? Would Bike Ray III, even with the flood lens have better range/throw than my NR Fs?
    Also, any timeline for that optional lens? Would I be able to buy it separately later and drop it in myself?
    Last edited by GEOMAN; 02-14-2011 at 10:45 AM.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Thanks Geoman.
    If by "quite soon" you mean a few weeks rather than months, than I'll probably hold tight and wait for it before ordering.

GeoMan
    Since we don't have a prototype and it would be produced in China you can expect it to be several months.

Thanks Geoman.
    If by "quite soon" you mean a few weeks rather than months, than I'll probably hold tight and wait for it before ordering.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    GEOMAN, great to see things starting to take shape again.

A couple of questions:

Would current owners of the old recalled Magicshine batteries be given credit towards the newer German battery packs and remit the difference as far as price points go?

Are there any plans to have the German packs waterproofed (perhaps with the liquid rubber dip?) I know they don't sell the waterproofing compound here where I reside, otherwise I'd do it myself.

Cheers!

GeoMan
    Open-Light has advised that their packs are waterproofed, take a look at one of their ads on uTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP-EnvdZs5E

The packs are triple shrinkwrapped like their Lupine compatible packs.

Unfortunately we can't do any deals with regard to those MS recall packs that are out there, every customer must receive the identical remedy. The guidelines for recalls are very strict and the GeoManGear pack is underway for the recall and we have to follow the rulings of the CPSC. We even had the Open-Light battery pack tested independantly and by the CPSC to make sure we had followed all of the rules.

GEOMAN, great to see things starting to take shape again.

A couple of questions:

Would current owners of the old recalled Magicshine batteries be given credit towards the newer German battery packs and remit the difference as far as price points go?

Are there any plans to have the German packs waterproofed (perhaps with the liquid rubber dip?) I know they don't sell the waterproofing compound here where I reside, otherwise I'd do it myself.

Cheers!
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    GEOMAN, yup i see that from the link you shared. 3 days submerged in a pond. Thanks for that.

What about the MS replacement batteries - Any confirmation on type waterproofing? Rubber dip or triple shrink wrap? All of mine came with the metal canister enclosure (I doubt you'll be replacing these housings but rather the sole contents alone). Am I correct in my assumption?

GeoMan
    The GeoManGear recall replacements will come encased in a tooled plastic housing with a velcrow strap to attach them to stem, post and downtube. It is a really nice design, we hope everyone gets 2-3 years of good use from them. The GeoManGear pack will be more compact, easier to mount and more lightweight than the Magicshine Series II pack that you have currently. It will be as waterproof as the manufacturer is able to make it, we don't recommend going diving with it but it should standup well with normal mountainbiking use including rain and splashing from puddles etc.

GEOMAN, yup i see that from the link you shared. 3 days submerged in a pond. Thanks for that.

What about the MS replacement batteries - Any confirmation on waterproofing? All of mine came with the metal canister enclosure (I doubt you'll be replicating housings) but rather the contents alone. Am I correct in my assumption?
    Last edited by GEOMAN; 02-15-2011 at 07:18 AM.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

magicshine batteries

Geoman,

On Ebay I noticed someone selling a MagicShine with new and improved battery made by LG Chem. How does that differ from the battery that you are supplying? Is MagicShine using two different companies?

I also noticed someone on ebay selling a new and improved battery for $38. I'm guessing that is the LG Chem battery.

How do these differ from the replacement you are selling on your site?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kjackson82
    Geoman,

On Ebay I noticed someone selling a MagicShine with new and improved battery made by LG Chem. How does that differ from the battery that you are supplying? Is MagicShine using two different companies?

I also noticed someone on ebay selling a new and improved battery for $38. I'm guessing that is the LG Chem battery.

I have one of these batteries first time out the protection circuit cut off power and I had no helmet light 30 minutes into the ride, had to recharge to reset the circuit. after about 10 rides now it is showing blue 20 minutes into a ride and when my other battery's are still showing green.
    I am not impressed just another cheap Chinese battery

GeoMan
    Yes we took a look at those battery packs as soon as Magicshine started supplying them, we were already looking for a quality replacement for the existing packs and were discussing our options with a number of US battery manufacturers. We chose not to use those new Magicshine battery packs for our customers. The Open-Light Systems battery packs and the new GeoManGear battery packs are produced using high quality Panasonic cells from Japan and feature custom PCB's (protection boards) to further reduce the chance of malfunction or performance related issues.

Quote Originally Posted by kjackson82
    Geoman,

GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member

BikeRay-III Updates

After long and hard work, tests after tests on remodifications from current prototype Ray-III model sold by other(s), BikeRay USA finally got everything together on Ray-III, and will be available by end of this month.
    Take a visit to www.bikerayusa.com where you can see the pics, changes, specs beam shots, etc.
    Also offering pre-order discount.
    many parts & accessories are there to purchase along a new "Y" connector that can connect 2 batteries into one light to give 7+ hrs on High mode or 30+ hrs on Low mode.
    No more prototypes~!
    Excellent battery safety and life, Safety featured Charger, but without high price tag.
    Team BikeRay USA
    LED Bike Lights

mtbr member
    There seems to be some confusion about the Bikeray Ray III. Geoman was trying to get a newer version that would include some switchable optics. Now I have read on the other thread that BikeRayUSA will be the only vendor for the newly upgraded BR III .

Since most of the dialog about improvements came through Geoman it seems only fitting he should be able to sell the upgrade as well. What's the deal here? I see the new version but I'm not seeing the upgraded optic ( even though it is mentioned ).Am I missing something here ??.

GeoMan
    Hey Cat
    We believe the 15 degree lens will be available on the newly produced prototype Bikeray Ray IV based on the feedback we have received. We have no confirmation whether the 15 degree optic will be produced for the Bikeray Ray III. We have requested samples of both the new BR III and BR IV prototype so we'll let you guys know what we think after initial field tests.

There seems to be some confusion about the Bikeray Ray III. Geoman was trying to get a newer version that would include some switchable optics. Now I have read on the other thread that BikeRayUSA will be the only vendor for the newly upgraded BR III .

Since most of the dialog about improvements came through Geoman it seems only fitting he should be able to sell the upgrade as well. What's the deal here? I see the new version but I'm not seeing the upgraded optic ( even though it is mentioned ).Am I missing something here ??.
    Last edited by GEOMAN; 04-06-2011 at 08:16 PM.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

Old Fart at Play
    BikeRay might be using one of these lenses: http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut861 Part # 10508 would be my guess. Hard to tell from the photos and specs provided.
    "... displays the social skills of a barrel cactus." - TNC

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus Maximus
    BikeRay might be using one of these lenses: http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut861 Part # 10508 would be my guess. Hard to tell from the photos and specs provided.
    Sorry, Wrong~!
    Team BikeRay USA
    LED Bike Lights

mtbr member

We were on this project long before anyone. Just never talked about it here mtbr.
    Because BikeRay USA rejected the original version of Ray-III, manufacture had to sell out premade Ray-IIIs to many other countries and other buyers who were desperate.

Who started BikeRay here in USA~?
    Who holds the contract with manufacture for USA~?
    Who got involved with engineering from very begining~?
    Who is providing waranty, refunds, parts, service, etc~?
    We already got moulds made for 15degree lens for Ray-III. It is in final stage to be in the production.
    This new moulding for 15degree lens costed us $$$$. Did anyone other than us paid for it or got involved with engineering~?

New Ray-IV~? prototypes are made and they are coming by end of this month to do field test with our sponsored racers. It will/may need to go through some adjustments but basics are done and ready to be tested by us here in USA.

It is far beyond than just pile of aluminum pipes~!

BikeRay USA will not tolerate anymore, anyone trying to step in with false statements and confusing people with wrong ideas.
    Are you interested to test it and give us its feedbacks~?
    Let us know~!
    Team BikeRay USA
    LED Bike Lights

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerayusa
    We were on this project long before anyone. Just never talked about it here mtbr.
    Because BikeRay USA rejected the original version of Ray-III, manufacture had to sell out premade Ray-IIIs to many other countries and other buyers who were desperate.....

...BikeRay USA will not tolerate anymore, anyone trying to step in with false statements and confusing people with wrong ideas.
    Are you interested to test it and give us its feedbacks~?
    Let us know~!
    Mr. BikeRay, I don't think anyone is going to argue that you were the first to sell Bikeray because most of us really wouldn't have any way to know otherwise. However you weren't the first vendor to take point with selling Bikeray on MTBR ( as far back as I can recollect ). Matter of fact, I really don't know who the first person was because when MagicShine first came out there was a flurry of clones that came out not too long after. Regardless, most of us lightheads on MTBR just have questions about the product as it is getting good reviews. I'm not really interested in getting into a "who's first " argument. Since more than one vendor has offered to sell the product most of us just want to know who is going to sell what and when it will be available.

I'm glad to see that you have offered some clarification about the optic issue. If you can bring the new and improved Ray III to market first you will have a big advantage over any other vendor. Just remember being first only takes you so far. Customer service and track record are important too. Also keep in mind that when the new Ray III's start to sell the battery will be the first thing to undergo scrutiny. If your new battery holds up and the new optics are better you will have a win-win situation. Just treat your customers fairly and be nice when the nay-sayers start up. Besides, no one really likes a pi**ing war.

mtbr member
    Mr. BikeRay, I don't think anyone is going to argue that you were the first to sell Bikeray because most of us really wouldn't have any way to know otherwise. However you weren't the first vendor to take point with selling Bikeray on MTBR ( as far back as I can recollect ). Matter of fact, I really don't know who the first person was because when MagicShine first came out there was a flurry of clones that came out not too long after. Regardless, most of us lightheads on MTBR just have questions about the product as it is getting good reviews. I'm not really interested in getting into a "who's first " argument. Since more than one vendor has offered to sell the product most of us just want to know who is going to sell what and when it will be available.

I'm glad to see that you have offered some clarification about the optic issue. If you can bring the new and improved Ray III to market first you will have a big advantage over any other vendor. Just remember being first only takes you so far. Customer service and track record are important too. Also keep in mind that when the new Ray III's start to sell the battery will be the first thing to undergo scrutiny. If your new battery holds up and the new optics are better you will have a win-win situation. Just treat your customers fairly and be nice when the nay-sayers start up. Besides, no one really likes a pi**ing war.
    Cat;
    Okey. Lets just get that "who" thing aside for now.
    I am sorry touching some of sensitive issues here. I guess I got somewhat upset because I was getting some serious attacks here, and over reacted.

I will try my best to not go on that direction again.

And thank you for the advises you gave us here. And thank God that we are in right track~!
    Team BikeRay USA
    LED Bike Lights

mtbr member
    Forgot~!
    What will be your reaction if, that someone runs out of Ray lights~?
    Where customers are going to ask for parts, services, etc~?
    Cat;
    Have you heard or met anyone complaining about our service or lights~?
    If so, let me know.
    Our door is wide open to anyone who is willing to see inside of it.
    Team BikeRay USA
    LED Bike Lights

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks Geoman ordering my Ray III with 8.7ah battery in a few minutes!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for answering all my emails I know I had a lot!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I had a chance to test my Bikeray III for the first time last night for about an hour and a half. I'm riding in a 24hr team event this weekend, and wanted to give my new light a try beforehand. I bought my light on Ebay from the official UK supplier for £90, or just under $150. My initial impressions are generally positive. The light is very bright, and as others have noted, the beam is more flood than spot. I was riding with my brother-in-law, who had a Magicshine on his bars, and a Hope 2 on his helmet. I ran the Bikeray on my helmet. When comparing the beams, as expected the Bikeray put out the most light, though the spot from both his lights was brighter in the center. I could ride behind him while he was running both, and he could still see his shadow. I didn't have a problem riding with just flood of my light, which I ran on high the whole time.

There are a couple of design issues that I don't care for. First, and most significantly, is that the helmet mount plate doesn't offer any sort of tilt adjustment. The lighthead slides and clips onto the plate, which is not in any way adjustable. The only method you have to adjust the aim of the beam is to slide the plate and its velcro straps fore/aft on your helmet, which may or may not work for you depending on the shape/position of your helmet vents. You also can't adjust the tilt on the fly. I stopped shortly into my ride to completely remove and restrap the plate to get a better position. I had to run the light very high on my helmet to get good aiming, and this caused me to clip a few low-hanging branches quite forcefully. I guess I'll just have to adapt to that. I also had a bit of discomfort from the overlapping velcro run inside my helmet, but I got used to it, and also ran the straps inside my helmet pads, which helped. I think I've seen a "New" Bikeray III, which uses an O-ring style attachment, which I now know I would've preferred.

The second design issue (for me at least) is the way the velcro is wrapped around the battery bag. You're supposed to use this to strap the battery to your bike, but if you run the light on your helmet, you'll put the battery in your jersey, or in you pack. I like to put my battery in the top phone/ipod pocket of my pack, which is felt/microfiber lined. I tried putting the battery in there, and the velcro stuck to it and was difficult to get out.

I previously owned a Magicshine (from Geoman), which I was generally happy with. My battery did fail, which of course I was a bit upset about. I know they have been recalled, and I may or may not decide to get a replacement. The battery failed just before I moved last autumn, and due to negligence on my part, the glass on the Magicshine lighthead got broken when I put the light in with the rest of my bike tools and parts. If I buy a new lighthead, I'll get the battery replaced. I definitely preferred the mounting system on the MS, and I think the MS lighthead was lighter weight than the Bikeray, or the Bikeray + mounting plate and straps. I was able to mount the MS to my helmet with just the O-ring, no other mount needed.

It's too early to say which light I prefer, or whether the Bikeray is well-built or not. I think I remember seeing concerns about waterproofness when I was researching before purchase a month ago, but there just doesn't seem to be enough of these out there yet to know if it's an issue.

If my impressions change for the better or worse after race this weekend I'll post an update.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I received a PM asking for an update, so here it is.

I used my light for about 2.5hrs in my 24hour team event. I used it off and on during my dusk lap, and then for 2 hours straight during a double lap from 3-5am. It performed well the entire time. The battery life indicator was still on the highest setting, even though I ran it on high the whole time. I didn't notice any of the discomfort from the mounting as I indicated above, either because I've gotten used to it, or because I was too focused on trying to ride fast while dead tired in the middle of the night.

We did have some rain, but I only had to ride in a few light showers, so still didn't test the water resistance. I've decided that I would definitely prefer a more "spot" pattern on my helmet, and run the BRIII on my bars. The amount of light put out is great, but IMO a spot pattern allows you to focus on the singletrack in front of you while not illuminating the surroundings with wasted light. I think the throw was enough, but I noticed a few lights on course that had longer throw. I'm a reasonably quick descender, and didn't have any issues with the throw being too short, but there was only one pretty high speed descent on the course, and it was straight and predictable.

Final verdict: Solid all around performance and great value, but maybe not the light to have if you only have one light, due to beam pattern and mounting limitations.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Waterproof?

I'm looking at buying a new light for the upcoming winter.
    Have been looking at this BikeRay III and it looks nice. Has someone here used it alot in rain? How waterproof is it? I need something that I can bring out in pouring rain or heavy snowfall and similar without hesitation.
    I was looking at the MS 872, but have heard that the MS lights were not so good on the waterproofing, but I've developed the feeling that the BikeRay is abit better quality, but I might be totally wrong here?

Or should I choose something different, give up on the cheaper lights and go for Hope for example, to get good waterproofing?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Degree Lens - Geoman?

Can anyone verify the lens that's shipped out with the Bike Ray III from Geoman? I know there was talk about a 10 or 15 degree in an earlier post. I'm looking at the following setup: BikeRay - RayIII - Cree-XPG 1000* Lumens 6.0Ah

Would also like to know if I would be able to run the MJ splitter off the 6.0Ah battery to a BRIII up front and a MJ-818 tail in the rear? I would assume the connections are the same?

Thanks much! My flashlight bike light isn't cutting it anymore... NEED MORE LIGHT!!!

-Ryan

GeoMan
    That model has the 20 degree optic, best used for bar mounting, yes the y-cable and MJ-818 configuration will work for you. Thanks for the support

Quote Originally Posted by e46junkie View Post
    Can anyone verify the lens that's shipped out with the Bike Ray III from Geoman? I know there was talk about a 10 or 15 degree in an earlier post. I'm looking at the following setup: BikeRay - RayIII - Cree-XPG 1000* Lumens 6.0Ah

Would also like to know if I would be able to run the MJ splitter off the 6.0Ah battery to a BRIII up front and a MJ-818 tail in the rear? I would assume the connections are the same?

Thanks much! My flashlight bike light isn't cutting it anymore... NEED MORE LIGHT!!!

-Ryan
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stefan. View Post
    I'm looking at buying a new light for the upcoming winter.
    Have been looking at this BikeRay III and it looks nice. Has someone here used it alot in rain? How waterproof is it? I need something that I can bring out in pouring rain or heavy snowfall and similar without hesitation.
    I was looking at the MS 872, but have heard that the MS lights were not so good on the waterproofing, but I've developed the feeling that the BikeRay is abit better quality, but I might be totally wrong here?

Or should I choose something different, give up on the cheaper lights and go for Hope for example, to get good waterproofing?
    I have not had long term use in wet weather, but the first rest ride I did with it I got caught in a downpour and rode for an hour to get time in on the light and then I used it in the 24hrs of Pats Peak on a relay team. It rained the whole 24hrs and my night lap gave no issues for the light. Now that night riding time is here again I should get some more use out of it and get a better long term feel for how it works.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by offrhodes42 View Post
    I have not had long term use in wet weather, but the first rest ride I did with it I got caught in a downpour and rode for an hour to get time in on the light and then I used it in the 24hrs of Pats Peak on a relay team. It rained the whole 24hrs and my night lap gave no issues for the light. Now that night riding time is here again I should get some more use out of it and get a better long term feel for how it works.
    The NEW BikeRay-III in a cup of water.
    As I mentioned on BikeRay-IV, please don't try this at home. It's for demo purpose only. Entire concept of waterproofing is to withstand any accidental falls, rain, etc. Not to be use under water nor to taken apart. These upgrades are made from BikeRay USA and we can not guarranty if it will be available from other country's supplier.

Bike Ray III-imag0520.jpg
    THIS IS THE NEW BIKERAY-III. NOT THE OLD, LONG VERSION WITH HARD MOUNT.Bike Ray III-bikeray3.jpg
    Last edited by bikerayusa; 09-22-2011 at 12:29 PM.
    Team BikeRay USA
    LED Bike Lights

mtbr member
    I was just on GEOMAN sight and I don't see the BR III or any bike ray light on there? what happen?
    2012 FatBack with BFL tires
    2010 Specialized StumpJumper FSR Expert
    2006 Specialized RockHopper

GeoMan
    We are currently using the new Quad XP-G MJ-872 as our primary recommended bar mounted lightset.

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyM14 View Post
    I was just on GEOMAN sight and I don't see the BR III or any bike ray light on there? what happen?
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

{~~~~~}
    Oct 2007

Bikeray lights

GEOMAN,

I also noticed that there aren't any Bikeray lights listed on your site anymore. I really liked the mounting system of the Bikeray and was a bit bummed that they disappeared. Can you elaborate on the change...Will they (and their mounting system) be coming back? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by GEOMAN View Post
    We are currently using the new Quad XP-G MJ-872 as our primary recommended bar mounted lightset.

GeoMan
    We liked the MJ-872 from the very beginning when we received the prototype lighthead back in February but the diffused optic was not what we had discussed with Magicshine so we had the Bikeray III as our primary bar mounted lighthead. Magicshine made the necessary optic change and we now stock the MJ-872 instead of the BRIII. Headsup we are currently testing a locking mount similar to the BRIII that is able to be screwed onto the base of the MJ-808 and MJ-808E, it also has a lightweight helmet mount option with tilt ability and the same locking mechanism. We have some samples that we are trail-testing at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeypod21 View Post
    GEOMAN,

I also noticed that there aren't any Bikeray lights listed on your site anymore. I really liked the mounting system of the Bikeray and was a bit bummed that they disappeared. Can you elaborate on the change...Will they (and their mounting system) be coming back? Thank you.

GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

{~~~~~}
    Oct 2007
    Thanks for the explanation and the headsup. Much appreciated!

mtbr member
    ....Headsup we are currently testing a locking mount similar to the BRIII that is able to be screwed onto the base of the MJ-808 and MJ-808E, it also has a lightweight helmet mount option with tilt ability and the same locking mechanism. We have some samples that we are trail-testing at the moment.
    GM...Please...would you kindly post some photos of the mount you are speaking of. I assume you are also planning to offer this mount as a separate item on your web site. (??)

GeoMan
    Sure Cat, we'll post a few images later today, we have been looking for a solution like this for a long time. We are still testing and hope to be able to offer this as an aftermarket option for existing MJ-808 and MJ-808E owners. We should have a spare sample, would you like to try one? Email us on geoman@geomangear.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    GM...Please...would you kindly post some photos of the mount you are speaking of. I assume you are also planning to offer this mount as a separate item on your web site. (??)
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Sure Cat, we'll post a few images later today, we have been looking for a solution like this for a long time. We are still testing and hope to be able to offer this as an aftermarket option for existing MJ-808 and MJ-808E owners. We should have a spare sample, would you like to try one? Email us on geoman@geomangear.com
    Sure...sounds like a plan. FWIW I also test Lupine Betty's as well. ..

GeoMan
    Nice try, it's racing season so my Betty is getting plenty of use, we'll get some pics of the mount uploaded today.

Sure...sounds like a plan. FWIW I also test Lupine Betty's as well. ..
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

GeoMan
    Had to use iPhone hopefully images are ok

Nice try, it's racing season so my Betty is getting plenty of use, we'll get some pics of the mount uploaded today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bike Ray III-mount1.jpg  

Bike Ray III-mount2.jpg  

GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Those look pretty sweet GEO going to have to give them a try the helmet mount is especially.nice!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman View Post
    Those look pretty sweet GEO going to have to give them a try the helmet mount is especially.nice!
    x 2 !! This is what makes Geoman special. He gets the basic stuff that people want. Even something as simple as a decent helmet ( or bar ) mount for the MS stuff. It may seem like a little thing but he will sell 10's of thousands of these simply because no one else sells them. Other vendors could learn a thing or two from him for sure.

I'll be buying at least one of each for sure when they come out.

GeoMan
    Hey Rakuman, here's a couple of shots of the helmet mount, it's approx half the weight of the stock helmet mount and much smaller, it has a lot of tilt so choices of placement position on helmet are endless. So far it's testing well

Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman View Post
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bike Ray III-ml-hm1.jpg  

Bike Ray III-ml-hm2.jpg  

GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

banned
    Sep 2011
    excuse the dumb question but will these mounts (both bar and helmet) work decently for the majority of magicshine lights
    I tried to search some of the forums here, but a lot of scattered
    maybe some modding of the mount needed
    I have the three light ms and it moves around like crazy on fast bumpy descents, i dont think tape will help, its relatively heavy and needs a more firm mount (I have flat bars)

I just ordered bar and helmet from geomangear

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have a bikeray 3, but I find fluxient 4xR5 is more brighter, R5 looks is XPG too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

which is the top bright bicycle light?

is there any friend can tell which bicycle light the top one in the world now ? I want to have it on my bicycle light

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Wink

x 2 !! This is what makes Geoman special. He gets the basic stuff that people want. Even something as simple as a decent helmet ( or bar ) mount for the MS stuff. It may seem like a little thing but he will sell 10's of thousands of these simply because no one else sells them. Other vendors could learn a thing or two from him for sure.

I'll be buying at least one of each for sure when they come out.
    I have that bicycle mount too , do you need some ? I can sent to you for free, you only pay for postage will be ok, or maybe when I sent goods to my USA customer , I can packing some in it ,then my customer sent it to you will save the postage.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Alwin.Wu View Post
    is there any friend can tell which bicycle light the top one in the world now ? I want to have it on my bicycle light
    Not sure about the top one in the world, but I must sat that I do really like my RAY III, I run it with 8.7amp battery on full power 1300 lumens for 2,5 hours and the battery indication light is still showing , green, so I still have 50% power left, now this for me is great!!!!:
    The only minor negative point is the bar mounting, ie elastic band, I do have to readjust the light level several time on my rides as the light do gradually move, but apart from this, I do love it.
    SR59

Members who have read this thread: 0