Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bike Ray III

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Bike Ray III

I want another light for another bike...

I have seen the 3 x XPG Bike Ray III

So do I get that or another P7 MS type light?

Will the 3 x XPG be more powerful?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 9speed
    More lumens, probably. Depends on what bin they use and how hard they are driven. Better beam quality, who knows?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Check out the Light and Go thread. Good reviews from MTBR shootout. They have both XPG and P7 lights.

GeoMan
    The Bike Ray III is really nice, lightweight, has a 20 degree lens for nice flood on the bars. Triple XPG provides longer burntime on the same battery as a P7.

I want another light for another bike...

I have seen the 3 x XPG Bike Ray III

So do I get that or another P7 MS type light?

GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GEOMAN
    The Bike Ray III is really nice, lightweight, has a 20 degree lens for nice flood on the bars. Triple XPG provides longer burntime on the same battery as a P7.
    ok, now you are being nice and helpful and I feel bad lol

GeoMan
    No worries 9speed. The Bike Ray III lighthead is 130 grams and runs really nicely on the bars with a P7 on the helmet, we have been impressed with this lighthead.

ok, now you are being nice and helpful and I feel bad lol
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    No worries 9speed. The Bike Ray III lighthead is 130 grams and runs really nicely on the bars with a P7 on the helmet, we have been impressed with this lighthead.
    well sorry I have been so stinky.. just playing devils advocate as per usual...

GeoMan
    No worries at all, everyone is entitled to voice their opinions. We understand that many folks are disappointed that this process is taking so long. We take safety very seriously and our position has always been to address issues as they arise and after investigating the battery quality issues we have opted to perform a voluntary recall for the safety of all consumers. Bottomline, it is taking longer than we wanted but it will be a quality product that will be safe and reliable.

well sorry I have been so stinky.. just playing devils advocate as per usual...
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

aha

aha
    Last edited by Ray Light 2008; 02-18-2011 at 09:16 AM. Reason: update

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Nice. When?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Last edited by Ray Light 2008; 02-18-2011 at 09:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I hope it doesn't look like Mickey mouse...

mtbr member
    I hope it doesn't look like Mickey mouse...
    me too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks GeoMan, we will do better for you and for all our customers!

Klydesdale
    Feb 2005

Is this a sign of things to come?

GeoMan
    Wow that looks like a 130 gram triple XP-G paired with a 5.8 Ah German made Open-Light battery, if I had to guess I think run-time on high would be just over 4 hrs 20 mins.

Quote Originally Posted by klydesdale
    Is this a sign of things to come?

GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Is there somewhere in the US these can be purchased? Bike Ray USA doesn't have them listed yet.

GeoMan
    What's your timeframe, do you need it tomorrow, next week or is 2-3 weeks ok?

Quote Originally Posted by joraff
    Is there somewhere in the US these can be purchased? Bike Ray USA doesn't have them listed yet.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Run time: Boost 1280 lumens 4.4 hours

Low 600 lumens 14.4 hours

Flash 200 lumens 150hours

No kidding 14 hrs and 600 lumens about how much are you going to ask for these Geoman
    Defiantly got to get one of these
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Geoman, SINCE you asked, there's actually a 12 hr race Saturday that I'm doing but, they'll have light rentals.

Otherwise, no rush. Sounds like you're expecting some soon :P

GeoMan
    Hey Raku

We think those manufacturers numbers are a little inflated as usual, we have been testing this lightset for quite sometime. We replaced the 5.0 Ah Chinese battery pack with a 5.8 Ah German Battery Pack (4 very high capacity Panasonic cells ). Our runtime on high was right around 4.5 hours but we think the output is probably closer to 950-1000 lumens. Beam pattern with the stock 20 degree lens is wide and floody, we suggested an easily swapped out 15 degree lens to BikeRay for helmet use, they are very proactive and have a great product. Pricing is yet to be determined but is just around the corner

Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman

No kidding 14 hrs and 600 lumens about how much are you going to ask for these Geoman
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

GeoMan
    Nice, the 12 hour format is excellent, especially in winter. Best of luck and I hope the weather warms up for you. We'll have these available on the site really soon, excellent for barmounting with the stock 20 degree lens.

Quote Originally Posted by joraff
    Geoman, SINCE you asked, there's actually a 12 hr race Saturday that I'm doing but, they'll have light rentals.

Otherwise, no rush. Sounds like you're expecting some soon :P
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    @Geoman, correct me if I am wrong - do you intend on carrying BikeRay lights? or were you referring to the new battery pack replacements for Magicshine lights?

@Bike ray, do you have complete stats for the IV version coming out in March 2011? Will you offer purchase options for "Light Head Only" WITHOUT battery packs?

mtbr member
    Hey Raku

We think those manufacturers numbers are a little inflated as usual, we have been testing this lightset for quite sometime. We replaced the 5.0 Ah Chinese battery pack with a 5.8 Ah German Battery Pack (4 very high capacity Panasonic cells ). Our runtime on high was right around 4.5 hours but we think the output is probably closer to 950-1000 lumens. Beam pattern with the stock 20 degree lens is wide and floody, we suggested an easily swapped out 15 degree lens to BikeRay for helmet use, they are very proactive and have a great product. Pricing is yet to be determined but is just around the corner :thumbsup:
    I can't wait to see what one of these will do with a 15 degree lens. It will still be floody but 15 degrees is better than 20. Geoman if you start selling these please make an announcement when you have them on your website.

GeoMan
    Hi Chromag, yes we have been working with BikeRay on the Ray III and Ray IV for several months. We have been testing Ray III units since late November.

Quote Originally Posted by Chromagftw
    @Geoman, correct me if I am wrong - do you intend on carrying BikeRay lights? or were you referring to the new battery pack replacements for Magicshine lights?

@Bike ray, do you have complete stats for the IV version coming out in March 2011? Will you offer purchase options for "Light Head Only" WITHOUT battery packs?
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

GeoMan
    Absolutely Cat, we think that the triple with a 15 degree lens on the helmet and the quad with a 20 degree lens on the bars might work really nicely and still be affordable enough for everyone to enjoy. We will make an announcement as soon as we are ready to go live. The 20 degree beam pattern is one big bright halo, there is no hotspot.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    I can't wait to see what one of these will do with a 15 degree lens. It will still be floody but 15 degrees is better than 20. Geoman if you start selling these please make an announcement when you have them on your website.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The bikeray lll is a cool light. The beam is similar to hope Vision 4, only brighter. Smaller light head too.

www.airbornemtb.org
    Hi Chromag, yes we have been working with BikeRay on the Ray III and Ray IV for several months. We have been testing Ray III units since late November.
    GM would you consider giving someone who has two recall ms lights some kind of trade in or upgrade deal? my ms lights are still running strong -er i mean sitting in a ceramic bowl on the concrete pad beside my house - but this looks like a nice upgrade...
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    I understand that engineering has value in and of itself. But in the end, it's still just a pile of aluminum tubes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman

The light I have looks ok for 1200 lumens on High.
    Low looks more like 300 Lumens.
    Flash looks the same as High

GeoMan
    Hi Nick, unfortnately we are bound by some very strict CPSC guidelines when it comes to any of the recall issues and remedies, they must be uniform for everyone. We have been working hard in the background, expect to see some really cool products coming to GeoManGear this year.

Quote Originally Posted by nick d
    GM would you consider giving someone who has two recall ms lights some kind of trade in or upgrade deal? my ms lights are still running strong -er i mean sitting in a ceramic bowl on the concrete pad beside my house - but this looks like a nice upgrade...
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

GeoMan
    Hey Cat, we just listed the RayIII with two different battery options on the site

http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?...dex&cPath=4_33

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

GeoMan
    Agreed, we think low is more like 300 lumens too. Runtime is really amazing in low mode, the XP-Gs are extremely efficient when they are driven in the low mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Inigo_Questa
    The light I have looks ok for 1200 lumens on High.
    Low looks more like 300 Lumens.
    Flash looks the same as High
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this light. I've tried to order the foride from lightandgo on a few occasions but the website seems to have it's problems. I'm hoping this light is close in comparison although it sounds like from the information I've read there's about a 400 lumen difference. For the simple fact that Geoman is involved in these threads and has a great reputation I've got to go with the BikeRay. I rarely post, but I have to say what Geoman is doing is pretty cool.
    "Ride it Like You Stole it"!

GeoMan
    Thanks DH, we'll take care of you when you are ready, the Ray III is very impressive when comparing output/price/weight

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt_hog
    I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this light. I've tried to order the foride from lightandgo on a few occasions but the website seems to have it's problems. I'm hoping this light is close in comparison although it sounds like from the information I've read there's about a 400 lumen difference. For the simple fact that Geoman is involved in these threads and has a great reputation I've got to go with the BikeRay. I rarely post, but I have to say what Geoman is doing is pretty cool.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Hi Geoman,

This light does look impressive. One question though. Your website lists it with a 100mm extension cable. Surely it must be a typo and it should read 100cm?

Arek

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Geoman...do these have the 20 or 15 degree lens? And will the other lens be available?

GeoMan
    Yes thanks, it was a typo, have edited it to read 100cm. We think output is approx 950-1000 on high and 300-350 lumens on low, have discussed with Manufacturer about their listing of 1280 on high and 600 on low as it seemed inaccurate. Runtime on low is insane it seems to burn forever. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Arek
    Hi Geoman,

This light does look impressive. One question though. Your website lists it with a 100mm extension cable. Surely it must be a typo and it should read 100cm?

Arek
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Agreed, we think low is more like 300 lumens too. Runtime is really amazing in low mode, the XP-Gs are extremely efficient when they are driven in the low mode.
    What about the high mode? The 1280 lumens is manufacturer's rating as stated by you. What's the realistic output? Can we count on honest 1000 lumens on the trails?

Thanks,

Arek

GeoMan
    These have the 20 degree flood lens, we are waiting for Bikeray to develop a tighter beam pattern so it will be a perfect helmet mounted lighthead as well. Right now it works brilliantly on the bars and is a decent single lighthead for the helmet as it provides enough spot and flood for riding at 75% daylight speed. For full daylight speed nightriding it works perfectly on the bars with a 900 on the helmet. Bikeray is keen to work on product enhancement especially now we are up and running with their products.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr
    Geoman...do these have the 20 or 15 degree lens? And will the other lens be available?
    Last edited by GEOMAN; 02-15-2011 at 07:19 AM.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

GeoMan
    It's very close to 1000, the hotspot with the 20 degree lens is larger than the Magicshine 900 halo. If we had to guess we would think it's generating approx 50% more than the P7 emitters that the 900s use. Definitely more efficient as the burntime is slightly better than a P7 on the same battery on high, it's a win-win situation, more light, similar weight and better burntime and a 1 year warranty.

What about the high mode? The 1280 lumens is manufacturer's rating as stated by you. What's the realistic output? Can we count on honest 1000 lumens on the trails?

Thanks,

Arek
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

GeoMan
    Bikeray just gave us the ok to use the following ratings: High 1000 lumens and Low 300 lumens, we think it's fairly close to actual. High could be 950-1050 lumens and low could be 300-350 lumens

It's very close to 1000, the hotspot with the 20 degree lens is larger than the Magicshine 900 halo. If we had to guess we would think it's generating approx 50% more than the P7 emitters that the 900s use. Definitely more efficient as the burntime is slightly better than a P7 on the same battery on high, it's a win-win situation, more light, similar weight and better burntime and a 1 year warranty.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Right now it works brilliantly on the bars and is a decent single lighthead for the helmet as it provides enough spot and flood for riding at 75% daylight speed.
    I'm looking at this light as my helmet light. Considering I've been riding and racing with a Niterider Firestorm for 4-5 seasons now as my only light, and it being what - ~500 lumens or so? - I don't see how Bike Ray III would be anything but an improvement, even if it's floodier than the spot beam of my Firestorm. Or am I missing something here?.. Perhaps not as much range due to the flood vs. spot?

Roughly double the lumens, about the same runtime (4hrs.), definitely lighter and smaller(both light and battery), and attractive price. I think I may have found my next light.

GeoMan
    The N/R Firestorm had decent throw but that 700 gram NiMh battery pack would stretch my jerseys when put in the pocket. We have been testing the Ray III for several months and have found it to be a great lightset. Bikeray discussed producing a drop in lens with a tighter beam pattern for GeoManGear as soon as we suggested it, this would be an improvement for helmet mounting option.

I'm looking at this light as my helmet light. Considering I've been riding and racing with a Niterider Firestorm for 4-5 seasons now as my only light, and it being what - ~500 lumens or so? - I don't see how Bike Ray III would be anything but an improvement, even if it's floodier than the spot beam of my Firestorm. Or am I missing something here?.. Perhaps not as much range due to the flood vs. spot?

Roughly double the lumens, about the same runtime (4hrs.), definitely lighter and smaller(both light and battery), and attractive price. I think I may have found my next light.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    The N/R Firestorm had decent throw but that 700 gram NiMh battery pack would stretch my jerseys when put in the pocket. We have been testing the Ray III for several months and have found it to be a great lightset. Bikeray discussed producing a drop in lens with a tighter beam pattern for GeoManGear as soon as we suggested it, this would be an improvement for helmet mounting option.
    Yeah, the Firestorm battery is long and it's an achor too, for sure! But that's exactly how I've been using it - in the back jersey pocket. Uncomfortable, but it's worked so far...

Geoman, just to go back to my previous post, can you address my question there directly? Would Bike Ray III, even with the flood lens have better range/throw than my NR Fs?
    Also, any timeline for that optional lens? Would I be able to buy it separately later and drop it in myself?

GeoMan
    I gave my N/R Firestorm to an MTBR member last year so I don't have one to compare with but I would say the throw with the 20 degree lens is similar but the Ray III flood is far greater and lights up a much larger area. Providing Bikeray produces the lens as we suggested, it is a 5 second drop in for the consumer. That silver bezel unscrews easily and the lens plugs in without any tools. If Bikeray does produce the lens it would be available quite soon, their development team is extremely responsive. We wanted to get some of these out there and combine MTBR feedback with our own with regard to tightening the beam pattern and then go back to Bikeray with a suggested lens degree for development, we think somewhere between 10 and 15 degrees might be perfect.

Yeah, the Firestorm battery is long and it's an achor too, for sure! But that's exactly how I've been using it - in the back jersey pocket. Uncomfortable, but it's worked so far...

Geoman, just to go back to my previous post, can you address my question there directly? Would Bike Ray III, even with the flood lens have better range/throw than my NR Fs?
    Also, any timeline for that optional lens? Would I be able to buy it separately later and drop it in myself?
    Last edited by GEOMAN; 02-14-2011 at 10:45 AM.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Thanks Geoman.
    If by "quite soon" you mean a few weeks rather than months, than I'll probably hold tight and wait for it before ordering.

GeoMan
    Since we don't have a prototype and it would be produced in China you can expect it to be several months.

Thanks Geoman.
    If by "quite soon" you mean a few weeks rather than months, than I'll probably hold tight and wait for it before ordering.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    GEOMAN, great to see things starting to take shape again.

A couple of questions:

Would current owners of the old recalled Magicshine batteries be given credit towards the newer German battery packs and remit the difference as far as price points go?

Are there any plans to have the German packs waterproofed (perhaps with the liquid rubber dip?) I know they don't sell the waterproofing compound here where I reside, otherwise I'd do it myself.

Cheers!

GeoMan
    Open-Light has advised that their packs are waterproofed, take a look at one of their ads on uTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP-EnvdZs5E

The packs are triple shrinkwrapped like their Lupine compatible packs.

Unfortunately we can't do any deals with regard to those MS recall packs that are out there, every customer must receive the identical remedy. The guidelines for recalls are very strict and the GeoManGear pack is underway for the recall and we have to follow the rulings of the CPSC. We even had the Open-Light battery pack tested independantly and by the CPSC to make sure we had followed all of the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Chromagftw
    GEOMAN, great to see things starting to take shape again.

A couple of questions:

Would current owners of the old recalled Magicshine batteries be given credit towards the newer German battery packs and remit the difference as far as price points go?

Are there any plans to have the German packs waterproofed (perhaps with the liquid rubber dip?) I know they don't sell the waterproofing compound here where I reside, otherwise I'd do it myself.

Cheers!
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    GEOMAN, yup i see that from the link you shared. 3 days submerged in a pond. Thanks for that.

What about the MS replacement batteries - Any confirmation on type waterproofing? Rubber dip or triple shrink wrap? All of mine came with the metal canister enclosure (I doubt you'll be replacing these housings but rather the sole contents alone). Am I correct in my assumption?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast