mtbr member
    Jul 2012

bike light pricing

i have the MJ-808E and the GLOWORM X2 on my AMAZON CART right now but im still torn whether to go ahead with the purchase.

from your guys' experience with buying bike lights, does the pricing affect what season it is? like, since its winter time, will it be any cheaper? will it get cheaper? will i get better pricing if i wait come next year?

only reason im on the fence right now whether to get it now or later is because i still see a lot of biking opportunities ahead and i may need to have my own light.

this will be my first lights btw.

thank you in advance for your inputs.
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

Ex-Clydesdale
    Prices go down, not because of season, but because the technology is constantly improving. There will always be something better out in three months, so if you're always waiting for the next best thing, you'll never buy anything. I like to buy things that aren't on the cutting edge, maybe a generation old, that seems to be the best "value" for me for price and performance, so I don't spend 50% more for a 10% better product.
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

mtbr member
    I would get the MagicShine for the bars and then get another light for my helmet. Would still be less $ than i'm seeing the Glowworm x2 selling for.

I run the MJ-816E and its been great. Even with its est. 900-1100lm on full, i still find a helmet light is required when rolling quick singletrack in the dark. You might want to consider that in the equation.

mtbr member
    Agree that the pricing drops as new technology comes online. Did you check action-led-lights.com? They have the 808 20% off right now.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Agree that the pricing drops as new technology comes online. Did you check action-led-lights.com? They have the 808 20% off right now.
    whoah... decided to get the lights last night from ACTION LED's amazon store.. did not notice if i got the sale price.. ..might work checking out.

darnit its $10 less at their website than what i paid for in amazon..what's up with that.
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE