mtbr member

Bigger Battery for MJ-872

I currently have a MJ-872 with the Geomangear 6.0Ah battery. It's good for about 1.5 hours on high, but due to the overly safe cutoff on the battery pack it leaves quite a bit of power in the pack. I'm looking for a good battery pack that gives me closer to 2 hours of run time on high.

So far I've found the giant, probably overkill 7800mah Gemini battery, and the 6600mah MJ-880 battery, which will work with an adapter cable. Any input on these batteries, or any other options I should consider?
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    I currently have a MJ-872 with the Geomangear 6.0Ah battery. It's good for about 1.5 hours on high, but due to the overly safe cutoff on the battery pack it leaves quite a bit of power in the pack. I'm looking for a good battery pack that gives me closer to 2 hours of run time on high.

So far I've found the giant, probably overkill 7800mah Gemini battery, and the 6600mah MJ-880 battery, which will work with an adapter cable. Any input on these batteries, or any other options I should consider?
    A new 4400mAh BAK equipped battery pack like Magicshine MJ-6002 or Xeccon's 4400mAh should give you about 2 hours 15 mins - 2 hours 30 mins average. The MJ-872 has a very high draw hence the lower runtimes and heat.These batteries are about 250 grams with the pouch.

You can probably get 3 hours 45mins with a BAK equipped packs like the MJ-6036 and Xeccon's 6600mAh battery. We have not tested them with the 872 but with the MJ-880U we are still able to get 3 hours 30 mins @ 2.8A from the Xeccon battery. You should get the same results from the MJ-6038 which is 399 grams compared to 339grams for the Xeccon. Lighter and cheaper but not as waterproof as Magicshine's.

Connectors are standard except for the MJ-6038 as you noted but you can get a 6 inch MJ-6070 adaptor cable to convert back to round.

Can't comment on the Gemini but with those ratings, there is little doubt you'd have a longer runtime. If you want top rate quality, check out Open Light Systems' 8700mAh Panasonic cells equipped packs. They are German made and expensive.

Leonard
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

Green Developer
    Nov 2012
    Sorry for posting here, but I'm new to the forums and don't have the right to create new threads; this thread seams fairly compatible with my question, though (I think so, at least).

I got MagicShine MJ-872 recently and necessity to disconnect light head from battery when the bike is idle or I'm riding in the day is killing me already, that's not good for the connection either (eventually it'll loosen). So is there some option to fix this? For example cable with a switch on it, so that I could switch it off and stop battery indicator on the light head from draining battery, albeit slow, it's noticeably shortens the time interval between recharges. I use the light only when commuting 2-3 km from work to home in the evening.
    Go green! Ride a bike!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCzar View Post
    Sorry for posting here, but I'm new to the forums and don't have the right to create new threads; this thread seams fairly compatible with my question, though (I think so, at least).

I got MagicShine MJ-872 recently and necessity to disconnect light head from battery when the bike is idle or I'm riding in the day is killing me already, that's not good for the connection either (eventually it'll loosen). So is there some option to fix this? For example cable with a switch on it, so that I could switch it off and stop battery indicator on the light head from draining battery, albeit slow, it's noticeably shortens the time interval between recharges. I use the light only when commuting 2-3 km from work to home in the evening.
    Hi Alex, welcome to you, new member. We have thought of this product for a while now. Just a short module with a switch with a male and female connector in each end. We will look into it further. My problem with such a switch on MTB rides is, it flopping around and accidentally switching off the light when you are bombing down a rock garden. That would be bad. To press 2 times to disconnect is good but will be a bit of a design challenge.

Look, the standby drain is minimal when the battery and light is connected while not in use. For now, physical disconnection is the best way. It should be fine just as long as you hold the plugs to disconnect and not pull the cables instead.

Keep watching for updates, we may have one if we find it's popular enough. We have people making their own switches but burning out the rear light instead. You can make one yourself if your soldering skills are good.

We will have a new product to charge your USB device using the Li-ion battery via a Y cable. Great for smart phones, GoPro and Garmin GPS units. Prototype is done, just doing some test now.

Leonard
    mtbRevolution.com

Green Developer
    Nov 2012
    Thank you for your reply, Xeccon.
    I'm not afraid of soldering, but I don't like tinkering with cables myself when there are alternative routes.
    My problem with such a switch on MTB rides is, it flopping around and accidentally switching off the light when you are bombing down a rock garden.
    Well, you can lock the switch in place with something - that will eliminate the problem.
    Go green! Ride a bike!

mtbr member
    I've decided to go with the 6600mah MJ-6038 battery since it's waterproof. It's more spendy than the Xeccon, but in the end I like the security of knowing it's waterproof and in a hard case. I frequently ride in the wet/mud during the winter and am not that safe of a rider .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCzar View Post

I'll confirm what Leonard has said, that the power draw of that small LED is negligible. I used to leave my light plugged in on my commuter for 2-3 days with no problem. I can't remember where, but someone did a draw test and on a full battery it would theoretically last over 2 weeks with the light off.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeccon View Post
    You can probably get 3 hours 45mins with a BAK equipped packs like the MJ-6036 and Xeccon's 6600mAh battery.
    Do you have any other photos of this, of the actual battery? And how does that bag work, does it have straps to strap it to a frame?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut View Post
    Do you have any other photos of this, of the actual battery? And how does that bag work, does it have straps to strap it to a frame?
    Hi fightnut, here are some requested pics. Excuse the wiring mess - I run four Y cables. The pouch is made of neoprene so that part is waterproof but there's an opening for the battery to fit in. I would get another piece of neoprene or similar material and use silicone to seal it to make it 100% waterproof.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    I've decided to go with the 6600mah MJ-6038 battery since it's waterproof. It's more spendy than the Xeccon, but in the end I like the security of knowing it's waterproof and in a hard case. I frequently ride in the wet/mud during the winter and am not that safe of a rider .
    Good choice for your needs. Just a note: the MJ-6036 is the 6600mAh and MJ-6038 is 4400mAh. Include a pic of what one of my customer did. He used his factory's 5-Axis CNC milling machine to make a mount just for the 6038. Talk about night riding dedication.

Leonard
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bigger Battery for MJ-872-xeccon-6600-mah-shrink-packed.jpg  

Bigger Battery for MJ-872-xeccon-neoprene-6600mah-battery-2.jpg  

Bigger Battery for MJ-872-xeccon-battery-bike.jpg  

Bigger Battery for MJ-872-xeccon-battery-cannondale-bike.jpg  

Bigger Battery for MJ-872-aerospec.jpg  

mtbRevolution.com