View Poll Results: betty or Wilma / Piko Combo?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Betty 26 Degree

2 8.33%
  • Wilma / Piko Combo

22 91.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Betty or Wilma + Piko?? Help!!

I'm looking to purchase a new light system and could use some advice. Would I be better off with just a Betty, or a Wilma / Piko combo? They appear to be within 10% to 15% total cost of each other. Due to kids and work schedule, most of my riding / training is done in the dark. I typically take two types of rides: 1) 13 mile pre-dawn commutes to work, 90% of which is on a dedicated bike path and 2) trail riding on tight single track with frequent short / steep climbs and descents. I race, but only short races and none are in the dark.

My plan is to use what ever system I choose for a long time, which is part of the reason I like Lupine (upgrades / great long term support). I don't do any high speed descents on the trails so I don't think far throw is as critical. I'm currently outrunning my old Jet 13 watt halogen so I'm assuming both options would be much brighter.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Roch, a bar and helmet combo would definitely be more advantageous over a single bar light. Just to name a few reasons why:

1. Redundancy in case 1 fails
    2. Dual lighting angles will enhance topography viewability
    3. Safer visibility by others when commuting

Now going with the Lupines, you're covered as far as product quality, support and upgrades go. There are cheaper alternatives for sure but just like any other component goes, get the best you can afford. The term 'best' being subjective of course.

I'd recommend the widest optic for the Wilma (26 degrees) with your Piko. You might not be needing all that light but when you do (and at some point you will!) you know you'll be covered for pretty much any trail and weather condition given. As far as the Wilma's option of xpg and/or xml emitters go, its a personal preference really. Used in conjunction with a helmet light though, ideally it would be best to experience how the beam patterns and color complement each other in a real life application, not a beam pattern wall test.

If your heart isn't 100% set on the Lupine for the bars, you might want to also take a look at the Baja Designs (Double Stryk) and Dinotte (1200L Plus) models. Everyone is raving about the Gemini Xeras (2nd generation coming out very soon) also as far as a lid light goes but no personal experience there. I'm an avid fan of the NON o-ring low profile front mounted Piko 3 and Dinotte 400L Plus. This has always been and remains a huge selling point for me as far as lid lights go.
    Last edited by Chromagftw; 10-30-2011 at 10:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I am looking for lights and it seems to make sense to have both bar and helmet lights for the reasons mentioned.

With all of the experience Francis has with these lights I am paying close attention to his words in addition to the great advice on these forums. In the shootout video Francis seemed to really like the Lupine Piko and Lupine Piko TL Max combination. He mentioned he had one of his best rides with the Lupine Piko on the helmet and the Piko TL Max on the bars. He said that they were balanced and that the equipment disappeared when he was riding. Also he seems to like another self contained light - Exposure Diablo for the helmet. Looking forward to his review of the Gemini Xeras. Althought not self contained seems like a pretty compact design or form.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    There are a lot of high quality options out there for sure as mentioned. But in the choice of a Betty, or a Wilma/Piko combo with out a doubt i would go for the Wilma 26degree/Piko combo. With tight technical single track it would be a great set up as a helmet light would be a must. Coulor rendition with all leds been XML's would match and great customer service from Bill and Dan at Gretna. Go for it!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    It sounds like money is not the limiting factor so I agree with indebt and others above, get the 2 light option. I think a lot of us would go Lupine if we had spare change, but my wife would think me crazy for dropping a grand on lights.

mtbr member
    Wilma + Piko.

IMO Betty 26 alone on the bars doesn't have enough spread.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    I voted for the combo as well. And, good for you, Lupine is right up there with the cream of the crop. You'll never want for better looking, higher quality lights/batteries/chargers/mounts, etc.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Oh,,,,, and forgot to mention, Gretna now has the SmartCore Battery's to go with your new purchases.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by roch485 View Post
    I'm looking to purchase a new light system and could use some advice. Would I be better off with just a Betty, or a Wilma / Piko combo? They appear to be within 10% to 15% total cost of each other. Due to kids and work schedule, most of my riding / training is done in the dark. I typically take two types of rides: 1) 13 mile pre-dawn commutes to work, 90% of which is on a dedicated bike path and 2) trail riding on tight single track with frequent short / steep climbs and descents. I race, but only short races and none are in the dark.

My plan is to use what ever system I choose for a long time, which is part of the reason I like Lupine (upgrades / great long term support). I don't do any high speed descents on the trails so I don't think far throw is as critical. I'm currently outrunning my old Jet 13 watt halogen so I'm assuming both options would be much brighter.
    I have the wilma/piko combination. It's hard to beat and 2250 lumens is a lot of light. Definitely get the widest Wilma 1500/26 degrees. With the combination, descending at 30+mph is not an issue. A car headlight is 1300 lumens so this is considerably brighter than that. The Wilma, fooling around with it tonight, will throw a beam out 100 meters or so although it's a wide beam.

I'd go for the two lights simply because of the redundancy factor. It doesn't have to be just the light, it can be the batteries too. A couple of times I've gone out with a battery that didn't make it the whole ride (I don't charge them after every ride) and wound up down with one light. I learned the lesson of one light long ago on a dark moonless night a long way from home....

The Piko 3 22 degree beam fits nicely inside the Wilma beam. When you are looking forward, you see one large bright area - like a single light, not some little light bouncing around inside of it. When you look to the side, you have a lot of light lighting up corners etc... The combination will light up about 3/4 the width of a standard rural highway with spill enough to see ditch to ditch (albeit dim on the edges). They really work well together.

The Piko would also work well with a Betty. And a Wilma on the helmet with the battery in a back pocket (they give you a long cord) also works well. The Wilma at 112g is really light. The Piko with the battery in the back is undetectable on the helmet (55 grams). Also the PIko helmet mount is a thing of beauty - very small, very svelte.

I'd also recommend getting the head strap accessory for the Wilma. Just used mine tonight with the Piko battery to grill after dark. Worked extremely well!

J.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    I'd also recommend getting the head strap accessory for the Wilma. Just used mine tonight with the Piko battery to grill after dark. Worked extremely well!

J.
    Did you even need to turn on the grill
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    LOL. But I could turn it down so my carbon footprint was less.

You know, we grill a lot and all kinds of food. This time of year when it's dark, it's really hard to do. Most lights change the color of the food so it's hard to assess doneness etc... The uber bright and relatively neutral light of the Wilma made a huge difference.

J.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    LOL. But I could turn it down so my carbon footprint was less.

You know, we grill a lot and all kinds of food. This time of year when it's dark, it's really hard to do. Most lights change the color of the food so it's hard to assess doneness etc... The uber bright and relatively neutral light of the Wilma made a huge difference.

J.
    It's no Wilma but I bought this and a decent light for grilling.

http://www.amazon.com/Fulcrum-Clip--...0075031&sr=8-1
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Yeah, but that's not totally over the top. The Wilma definitely is.

J.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Yeah, but that's not totally over the top. The Wilma definitely is.

J.

BBW
    mtbr member
    For all the reasons stated.... you will enjoy that combo
    I just took mine camping and the Piko with the headband was awesome (I also use it for grilling, cleaning, etc) -although I took all the Lupine family with me
    Cheers
    BBW. MS, RD

mtbr member
    I voted Piko Wilma.

I just picked up a Piko, and plan to do a wilma for bar mount this fall when I have a new season of night riding ahead of me.

The piko is the ultimate helmet light. The battery and light head are small enough and lite enough you will not notice them on the helmet and no wires running up and down your back.

I uploaded some pictures of the piko to our facebook page with an object to give scale, the light and battery are tiny! Link https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-M...65309936904986
    Pro Mountain Outfitters
    www.promountainoutfitters.com

Like us on FaceBook