Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Betty Vs Wilma

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Idea! Betty Vs Wilma

During my last night ride at a local DTD I "lost" another MS pack. It got extremely hot when it was plugged into the charger and it was still hot after few hours, like it had a life of its own.
    So I have decided to spend my money on a real brand and I'm considering the Lupine.
    The two candidates for the bar are the Wilma or the Betty 2 (22 deg). For most rides 1100 Lum is enough light for the bar, what I'm not sure of is, how the beam will look like
    with the Betty set on medium (1180 Lum) with the 22 degree lens compared to the Wilma set on high (1100 Lum) which is 15 degree lens.

Any idea?

BTW, I will be happy to get more ideas for good lights...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    you could have 2 dinotte 1200l plus for less than one betty.........the 1200L is the brightest light in the world on a 4 cell battery.....i prefer dual spot lenses on it, rather than the default spot and flood..it is efficient and relatively cool.....betty is bright as hell but also generates more heat.....

piko though, is by far the best helmet light in the world......a generous 550 lumen, small and light.......

this combo balancing cost/weight/lumens i think cant be beat.......

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Do U know what is the burn time for the 1200 in high?

My rides are mostly about 2-3 hours but from time to time I do 6-7 hours...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by eranpeled View Post
    During my last night ride at a local DTD I "lost" another MS pack. It got extremely hot when it was plugged into the charger and it was still hot after few hours, like it had a life of its own.
    So I have decided to spend my money on a real brand and I'm considering the Lupine.
    The two candidates for the bar are the Wilma or the Betty 2 (22 deg). For most rides 1100 Lum is enough light for the bar, what I'm not sure of is, how the beam will look like
    with the Betty set on medium (1180 Lum) with the 22 degree lens compared to the Wilma set on high (1100 Lum) which is 15 degree lens.

Any idea?

BTW, I will be happy to get more ideas for good lights...
    Are you going to be using a helmet light as well?? If so the Dinotte 1200L + is a smoking light for the bars with lots of flood.If your only going to ride with one light (should have two) the new Trailled Darkstar is now pumping out 1600 lumens and has had no price increase.Same price as the Dinotte, probably brighter, and longer run times.Also very small and light enough to use as a helmet light as well, which i think the 1200L+ would be bar only light.
    As for the Lupines,for your bars the Betty22 degree all the way.The beam will have more spill than the spot type beam the Wilma has,much more usable light,and more throw than the Dinotte.The six cell battery that comes with the Betty 7 will give you 5 hours run time i think, on the med setting. The Wilma though a good candidate for the bars, is better suited for road riding or single track without switchbacks,but really shines as a helmet light.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I too tried the MS at first and had battery issues, so now I have the Betty II (both lens/ preferred the 22 degree). I just recently tried the Dinotte 1200l+.for a 2nd light, so have some experience with both Lupine,Dinotte and MS.

First Lupine: Suggest if you go the Lupine direction get the Betty over the Wilma, if you can afford it. The Betty at the 1100 lumen position is more efficient than the Wilma and you have the extra light, if you need it. The Betty is really a nice light, very programmable, lot of feedback on run-time, trouble free and the battery charger ONE is equivalent to a hobby charger with the readouts and charging options with voltage,current and AH used- nice. . The lamp head even gives you the battery voltage.

On the Dinotte light, I had a defective unit, so sent it back. Otherwise it seemed a very reasonable light, but too much flood for my riding style. The Betty definitely has more throw. Probably great for slow, switchback trails with a helmet light for throw. It has limited feedback on lamp real time feedback as compared to the Wilma/Betty - i.e. just normal or low battery indicator (mine never gave the low battery warning and just ran to battery shut-off). The Betty definitely out throws it even with the 22 degree lens at both full power and 1/2 power.

The 1200L+ was just a bit brighter on the ceiling bounce test over the Betty 1/2 power 1100 lumen position, so the Dinotte is around 1200-1300 lumen.as rated. This is good. At fully power, the Betty smoked it, but it runs hotter. The Dinotte 1200L is very similar in its 8 XPG LEDs as the 7 for the Betty. At max output, the 1200L+ runs in a very sweet efficient spot (essential the Betty's 1/2 power position) and I suspect if you don't get a defective unit, it will have good lifetime reliability. Just will not be blindingly bright, since Dinotte does not drive the 8 LEDs hard. Not really a bad engineering trade-off and matches the relatively low power 4 cells 4.4AH battery capacity too. The Wilma at 4 LEDs for it 1100 lumen is driven much harder then either the Dinotte or Betty at 1/2 power and the reason I preferred the Betty.

I wish the 1200L+ had the option for two spot lens as it might offset the flood issue. But flood vs throw in a lamp head is not a quality issue, but just a design trade-off. I think Dinotte is too much flood. Lupine runs a little too hot in the center with even the 22 degree, but overall I will take the Lupine choice, when my speedometer shows over 38+ at night down a hill

And the comment you can buy 2 Dinotte 1200L+ vs one Betty is a little misleading, since the Betty has a much larger battery, nice carrying case and a much more expensive charge supplied with it. The Dinotte largest battery is only around 4.4AH,, a typicall 1 LED wall wart smart charger and only the cardboard shipping box.

Overall I think both Dinotte and Lupine are fair values (more so, if you can get a good discount on the Lupine). Your pay more the the Lupine, but you do get more features/'options. All bike lights today pretty much have hit a commodity level at the LED and driver level. The differentiation today is features and battery technology/quality.

The Dinotte just tries to hit a sweet spot and they hope you like their choices, since they don't really have any options on battery size, chargers or any customization of the lamp head. They have a pretty much take it or leave it approach on the discussion I have had with them. I find them frustrating to work with, since they seem a little dogmatic, but on the other hand get so much right too. I suspect this helps keep their cost down, but for picky folks like me ( that think they know what they want),they either just buy the Lupine or might be tempted to make their own light unless Dinotte just happen to hit your sweet spot. Lupine, on the other hand, perhaps because of their higher cost have a bigger design budget and just by sheer overkill cover a lot of bases with their LED upgrades, more lamp indicators, programming options, lens choices, battery sizes, and charger options.
    Last edited by skoor; 05-29-2011 at 05:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks so much for the detailed review...now I got a bigger headache.
    :-)

mtbr member
    Thanks so much for the detailed review...now I got a bigger headache.
    :-)
    The Betty with the 22 degree is AWESOME.

If you haven't done a search yet here's a few more links to turn your headache into a migraine.

Is Lupine worth my hard earned dollar???

2 Lupine Bettys

Lupine Wilma Vs Exposure Diablo
    Last edited by woody.1; 05-29-2011 at 09:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by woody.1 View Post
    The Betty with the 22 degree is AWESOME.

If you haven't done a search yet here's a few more links to turn your headache into a migraine.

Is Lupine worth my hard earned dollar???

2 Lupine Bettys

Lupine Wilma Vs Exposure Diablo
    Thanks...!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by skoor View Post
    I too tried the MS at first and had battery issues, so now I have the Betty II (both lens/ preferred the 22 degree). I just recently tried the Dinotte 1200l+.for a 2nd light, so have some experience with both Lupine,Dinotte and MS.

First Lupine: Suggest if you go the Lupine direction get the Betty over the Wilma, if you can afford it. The Betty at the 1100 lumen position is more efficient than the Wilma and you have the extra light, if you need it. The Betty is really a nice light, very programmable, lot of feedback on run-time, trouble free and the battery charger ONE is equivalent to a hobby charger with the readouts and charging options with voltage,current and AH used- nice. . The lamp head even gives you the battery voltage.

On the Dinotte light, I had a defective unit, so sent it back. Otherwise it seemed a very reasonable light, but too much flood for my riding style. The Betty definitely has more throw. Probably great for slow, switchback trails with a helmet light for throw. It has limited feedback on lamp real time feedback as compared to the Wilma/Betty - i.e. just normal or low battery indicator (mine never gave the low battery warning and just ran to battery shut-off). The Betty definitely out throws it even with the 22 degree lens at both full power and 1/2 power.

The 1200L+ was just a bit brighter on the ceiling bounce test over the Betty 1/2 power 1100 lumen position, so the Dinotte is around 1200-1300 lumen.as rated. This is good. At fully power, the Betty smoked it, but it runs hotter. The Dinotte 1200L is very similar in its 8 XPG LEDs as the 7 for the Betty. At max output, the 1200L+ runs in a very sweet efficient spot (essential the Betty's 1/2 power position) and I suspect if you don't get a defective unit, it will have good lifetime reliability. Just will not be blindingly bright, since Dinotte does not drive the 8 LEDs hard. Not really a bad engineering trade-off and matches the relatively low power 4 cells 4.4AH battery capacity too. The Wilma at 4 LEDs for it 1100 lumen is driven much harder then either the Dinotte or Betty at 1/2 power and the reason I preferred the Betty.

I wish the 1200L+ had the option for two spot lens as it might offset the flood issue. But flood vs throw in a lamp head is not a quality issue, but just a design trade-off. I think Dinotte is too much flood. Lupine runs a little too hot in the center with even the 22 degree, but overall I will take the Lupine choice, when my speedometer shows over 38+ at night down a hill

And the comment you can buy 2 Dinotte 1200L+ vs one Betty is a little misleading, since the Betty has a much larger battery, nice carrying case and a much more expensive charge supplied with it. The Dinotte largest battery is only around 4.4AH,, a typicall 1 LED wall wart smart charger and only the cardboard shipping box.

Overall I think both Dinotte and Lupine are fair values (more so, if you can get a good discount on the Lupine). Your pay more the the Lupine, but you do get more features/'options. All bike lights today pretty much have hit a commodity level at the LED and driver level. The differentiation today is features and battery technology/quality.

The Dinotte just tries to hit a sweet spot and they hope you like their choices, since they don't really have any options on battery size, chargers or any customization of the lamp head. They have a pretty much take it or leave it approach on the discussion I have had with them. I find them frustrating to work with, since they seem a little dogmatic, but on the other hand get so much right too. I suspect this helps keep their cost down, but for picky folks like me ( that think they know what they want),they either just buy the Lupine or might be tempted to make their own light unless Dinotte just happen to hit your sweet spot. Lupine, on the other hand, perhaps because of their higher cost have a bigger design budget and just by sheer overkill cover a lot of bases with their LED upgrades, more lamp indicators, programming options, lens choices, battery sizes, and charger options.
    as stated earlier, i converted my dinotte to have 2 spots, just call and ask for the spot lens and do it yourself or they will do it for you, if ordering, just ask for it to be 2 spot lenses, way way better in my opinion.....and 2 1200L+ for less than one betty is not misleading....ok you don't get a fancy case, but a non issue for me.....and you don't get a fancy charger with voltage readouts and such, but who cares, just plug it in and it gets charged...and if you ask dinotte might give you a little break for buying 2 1200L.....

2 1200L+ = max 840 bucks, 2 lights, 2 batteries, 2 chargers, approx 2600 lumens that doesn't get very hot.....

930 bucks - one very bright betty 1850 lumens, gets a little hot so drops lumens to control heat, nice case and pretty charger.....

one 1200L+ and a piko = 1850 lumens, all offroad night riding should include a helmet light - 419 + 320 = 739......so same lumens, appropriately distributed, and save almost 200 bucks........hmmmmm.....plus spare 4c battery, 810 bucks, but 5 hours of run time on high for the bar light....

although i really don't think anybody needs 2 dinotte, again one 1200l+ with double spot lenses, plus the lupine piko is very very very good light..if you are a super lumaholic then one 1200L+ with spot/flood and one all spot would be some serious punch and spread of 2600 lumens.......dinotte batteries are cheap i think a 4 cell is 70 bucks, so very easy to have one 1200L+ and throw a spare battery 4c in your jersey pocket for longer rides....
    Last edited by suvowner; 05-29-2011 at 11:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have the Dinotte 1200L (not the plus) and it throws a ton of light. I use it for road biking in the fall. Most of the time it's on medium (~800 lumens or so). I only put it on high for descents. I also ride with a headlight, but it need to be light. Last year i used the light and motion vis 360. Didn't need it for the light, but I do aim it at drivers at intersections to make sure they see me. It's other purpose is backup if my battery dies or if I have a problem and lose my lighting. I will probably trade the Vis 360 for a Piko this fall - same application.

The Dinotte is a quality light. The 1200L (not plus) is not too much flood and it does have considerable throw. When you get to the 1000 lumens range there generally is a lot of spill since you just have so much light to start with.

J.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Now I have a migraine....:-)

I'm looking for some nice beam shots of the 1200+ or the 1200 (btw - what is the deference between them?) , but not from the manufactures sites...

mtbr member
    I knew you would get a migraine.

I have a Betty with 22 degree, 1100 Lumen Wilma, and the Piko. The Betty is the newest light for me and I had the Wilma for 2+ years before I got the Piko in the fall of 2010. When I purchased the Wilma it was 920 Lumens and I upgraded it last year to 1100. That is a really nice plus with the Lupines that all lights are upgradeable.
    I ride most mornings on mostly paved trails and the Wilma on the bars is great, but when you hit the trail for night riding it is very nice to have a helmet light as well. This spring I got the Betty for the bars and my morning rides I use the Piko on the helmet, but for the twisty tight singletrack at night I really like the Wilma on the helmet and Betty on the bars.

Rule the Night,
    Woody

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

I just found a nice discussion

regarding the 1200 Vs 1200+

here

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    regarding the 1200 Vs 1200+

here
    if considering these 2, get the 1200+ it is an absolute no brainer.....brighter/lighter/more efficient.........

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    thanks for the link on the 1200 and the 1200+. Hadn't seen that before.

Some comments:

1. Beamshots at this level of light are not all that helpful. They are so bright that the cameras cannot even begin to accurately show the quality of the beam, especially in the spill., They will all show it dropping off to dark much faster than it actually does. They also show the center pretty much blown out. A camera can only represent 5-6 f-stops (doublings) of light whereas the human eye sees about 20 or an additional 14 doublings of light. I would take beamshots with a large grain of salt. They are most accurate when you look at throw as opposed to spill.

2. I'm a bit concerned about the artifacts in the spill of the 1200+ beam though,. There are those two wings out on the edge that are pretty dramatic. At this level of light one should expect a nice smooth transition. I'm wondering if that is a brake cable or something in the light.

3. At the 1200, the 1200L+, the Wilma or the Betty I would think that you would pretty much be not riding at full power unless you are descending. It really does get to be too much and wipes out your peripheral vision at night if you run it full out 100% of the time. I think I'd be more looking to make sure that I really liked the medium setting (800 lumens seems about right) as opposed to being worried about the "high beams." You need the high when you need it and it's hard to have too much, but my guess is you will spend the bulk of riding time not on the high setting.

Of these four lights - 1200, 1200+, Wilma and Betty - it would be impossible to make a wrong choice. They are all excellent.

Do spend some time looking at the battery issue. The lights will last pretty much forever, but the batteries will only last 3 years or so at or near full capacity - it's a characteristic of the chemistry of Li-ion batteries. They just die of old age at a pretty young age. Dinotte batteries are inexpensive so it makes sense to have extras. The Lupine batteries are really pricey but the lights are somewhat better.

J.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The batteries price is something in which I did not think about...thanks for lighting this point out.

Eran.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Wilma alone (handlebar) is enough to rule my regular night ride (on fire roads)...it's just so white, you'll feel bad for the hikers when you pass them. Woody helped me a lot for my decision.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I think JohnJ summarized it well. You can not really make a bad decision on the Lupine or Dinotte.

Just did some checking on the prices using the discount that I got on the Betty last year. Using the same discount and just looking at lamp heads the difference in cost between the Betty and Wilma is $116. For me, it was worth the difference for the reasons I stated.

And just looking at lamp head and using the same discount, the premium for the Betty over the Dinotte 1200+ is 34%.using Dinotte web prices. Definitely a premium, but as stated I think I got fair value.

The battery cost are a big consideration. Thanks to Geoman even for the Lupine, the cost is much more reasonable now.

What is gong to be interesting is if Dinotte and Lupine can compete with the Chinese made lights using the same LEDs or even the new XM-l. My guess is that Dinotte is more a risk, since they are basically just offering a higher quality, USA made lights except for their taillights, which are unique in the market even today. Lupine has the Germany cachet and does have some unique features/'options.

Time will tell, but I do like, if possible, to buy from American small speciality businesses. I took a chance on ordering online only the 1UPUSA bike rack and have just amazed at the quality and design even if it cost $300 for one bike and $500 for two.

Glad we still have some Made in USA options around. And if you follow some of the economics forums, China is getting so expensive, they think some manufacturing might come back here. That would be a new twist. LOL.
    Last edited by skoor; 05-31-2011 at 07:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    So far, the Chinese lights have not come close. Lots of greatly inflated lumens rating vs true lumens out the front and significant reliability issues. That probably won't change anytime soon either. They seem to be concentrating on the low end where there is higher volume.

I've had an instance in my early days of night riding when I rode with only a single light. That light failed and I was stuck in a rural wooded areas on a moonless night in the dark. That's an experience I don't want to replicate ever again. Riding with two lights, or having a backup light is necessary as well as having good, reliable gear. That goes for road or mtb riding.

J.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Mostly I ride single tracks in our local forest and from time to time in remote desert trails.

mtbr member
    The batteries price is something in which I did not think about...thanks for lighting this point out.

Eran.
    Geoman is selling a battery for Lupines made by a different German company, which is less expensive than Lupine with longer run time. The company is called "Open Light Systems" and I bought the 8.7 for the Betty and it works great. The 8.7 fits in the same softcase as the 7.5 Lupine.
    I got my from OLS direct and that's because Geoman didn't have the paperwork worked out with OLS.

Here's the link to OLS' website: http://www.open-light.de/en/Batteries%20for%20Lupine/

Here's the specs of the 8.7: http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?...roducts_id=270

Woody

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bashtee View Post
    Wilma alone (handlebar) is enough to rule my regular night ride (on fire roads)...it's just so white, you'll feel bad for the hikers when you pass them. Woody helped me a lot for my decision.
    Hey Bashtee,
    Glad I could help and I hope you are enjoying you choice.

Woody

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by woody.1 View Post
    Geoman is selling a battery for Lupines made by a different German company, which is less expensive than Lupine with longer run time. The company is called "Open Light Systems" and I bought the 8.7 for the Betty and it works great. The 8.7 fits in the same softcase as the 7.5 Lupine.
    I got my from OLS direct and that's because Geoman didn't have the paperwork worked out with OLS.

Here's the link to OLS' website: http://www.open-light.de/en/Batteries%20for%20Lupine/

Here's the specs of the 8.7: http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?...roducts_id=270

Woody
    Interesting. I wonder how long before Lupine and Geomangear are discussing this.

J.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks Woody, I will look into it as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast