mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Better to be identifiable or not?

As a long-time night rider (road and trail), I've always wondered if it is better to be identifiable as a bike by motorists or not.

I used to think that you wanted drivers to know you where a bike, but now I'm not so sure.

I almost think keeping the drivers confused until to the very last second is the best strategy now. Lights that strapped on your legs used to very popular. The up and down motion of the lights made your very recognizable as a bike.

In this day and age, I think you want drivers to perceive you as a possible threat to them. Once a person knows you are a bike, they will relax and they become a threat to you. I use a dinotte 300R and I'm pretty sure that confuses them real good.

Interested to know what the schools of thought on this are....

mtbr member
    I don't like looking like a bicycle. I would prefer to look like a motorcycle so they don't start 100 yards back to lead foot around me. Having a very bright rear that doesn't blink, and a proper front light is good enough for me. A full face helmet and large jacket also helps.
    owner, Holmes Bikes

mtbr member
    I wear giant wings and a helmet with a mohawk, drivers think I am the mothman and dont mess with me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lamb
    I wear giant wings and a helmet with a mohawk, drivers think I am the mothman and dont mess with me.
    LOL!

As a driver I'd say I'd want to know you are a cyclist so I can judge your speed and how you are going to interact with other traffic but that's me and I'm also a cyclist so...
    I can see why you might want to be mistaken for a motorbike though, drivers who don't respect cyclists are a lot less likely to try a stupid-close pass if the think you are motorized.