mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Better Deal for Higher Output Light Than Magicshine MJ906 for $110?

I ordered one of these from AliExpress for my wife, and have only used it a couple of times, but really impressed by it. I know it isn't anywhere near 5000 lumens, but still impressed by the build quality and the light output. This is the 4th MS light I have bought (sold the 1st one), but the other two are alive and work well for friends or my kids when night riding.

I have seen that people say this is closer to 3000 lumens and with the included FRED and a decent box/case to hold everything together, I think it was an incredible deal for roughly $110 shipped (using cashback sites). I wouldn't mind a little bit more light, and was just wanting to see if there is something a little better for only a little bit more.

Thanks - BS

mtbr member
    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by BullSCit View Post
    I ordered one of these from AliExpress for my wife, and have only used it a couple of times, but really impressed by it. I know it isn't anywhere near 5000 lumens, but still impressed by the build quality and the light output. This is the 4th MS light I have bought (sold the 1st one), but the other two are alive and work well for friends or my kids when night riding.

I have seen that people say this is closer to 3000 lumens and with the included FRED and a decent box/case to hold everything together, I think it was an incredible deal for roughly $110 shipped (using cashback sites). I wouldn't mind a little bit more light, and was just wanting to see if there is something a little better for only a little bit more.

Thanks
    Lumens per dollar you probably won't find a better deal. That particular light has a very floody/wide beam and not a lot of reach for the amount of light produced. If your looking for increased distance vision you might look at a refurbished Gloworm XS @ Action-LED-Lights. It has similar power but throws the light beam considerably further out than the MS 906. Here's a link plus you would need to also get a battery as the refurbish deal is for the light-head only.
    Still should be able to get this for under $150.

https://www.action-led-lights.com/co...umen-light-set

If your happy with the 906 something else to consider is what happens if you have any problems with the MS 906. Action-LED-Lights has all Magicshine lights on sale now for 20% off which would be $128 delivered but they also provide warranty and service for what they sell.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    MRMOLE,

I was probably going to buy this one from Gary, as I started reading more about this lamp and many had nothing but good to say about him.

But one question on the XS vs 906. It looks like they both have the same LEDs (XM-L2s), with the 906 having 5 vs the XS having only 3. Would the total output still be similar? Is there anything that I can do to the lens or anything else to make the light less floody? I was planning on using it as a helmet mount, and a little extra throw would be a good thing.

Thanks again,

Scit

mtbr member
    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by BullSCit View Post
    MRMOLE,

I was probably going to buy this one from Gary, as I started reading more about this lamp and many had nothing but good to say about him.

But one question on the XS vs 906. It looks like they both have the same LEDs (XM-L2s), with the 906 having 5 vs the XS having only 3. Would the total output still be similar? Is there anything that I can do to the lens or anything else to make the light less floody? I was planning on using it as a helmet mount, and a little extra throw would be a good thing.

Thanks again,

Scit
    Light output depends on current supplied to each LED and efficiency of optics. My guess is the emitters of the 906 are driven less hard + less efficient optics somewhat equalize the two lights output. Gloworm XS is rated @ 2500 lumens and all my GW lights produce more that what they're rated at. At these power levels 300 to 400 lumens are barely noticeable (unless compared side by side) but beam pattern will make the lights look considerable different. Gloworm will be a narrower much more intense light and the difference in throw will be considerable. Light construction of Gloworm (separate optics) will also allow you to alter the beam shape. Unfortunately with the 906 there's nothing you can do to extend throw. Floody beam pattern is unadjustable. The GW XS is also a much smaller light with far better mounts and will work much better as a helmet light.
    Mole
    Last edited by MRMOLE; 07-28-2017 at 09:14 PM.