Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    rmi
    rmi is offline
    Still using dork disk.
    Reputation: rmi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    316

    Best way to "store" battery til next season?

    Hey all:

    So, after a good winter of using my Gemini light, daylight hours are again lengthening and I doubt I will be using my light very much until next winter.

    What's the best way to store the battery? Fully charged? Fully discharged? In the freezer (seriously)? I know the best thing to do would be to use it regularly, but if I can't do that......?

    Thanks for any advice- Ryan

  2. #2
    Its got what plants crave
    Reputation: Jim311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,936
    Don't store it in the freezer. Just keep it somewhere cool, and store it at about 60% charge.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Baja Designs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    579
    I have had a lot of batteries come and go and never managed to "storage kill" one, so take what I say for what it's worth. Personally I top off my batteries once every couple of months (more often with NiMH) and just keep them in a regular old closet inside my house where it doesn't get too warm or too cold.

    One thing you could do is look up "Long Term Storage of LiPo Batteries" in Google or something along those lines.

  4. #4
    rmi
    rmi is offline
    Still using dork disk.
    Reputation: rmi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    316
    Thanks for the responses. Hopefully, I get out a few nights here and there to beat the summer heat.

    Ryan

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Baja Designs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    579
    That's another way to do it Ryan, just get out and night ride a few times though out the summer and you won't need to worry about it. I always have various 12/24hr events that we go support/race so no matter what my stuff typically get used one way or another.

    Shannon

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MaximusHQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    583
    Quote Originally Posted by rmi
    Thanks for the responses. Hopefully, I get out a few nights here and there to beat the summer heat.

    Ryan

    Summertime means almost always night riding for me. Hate the heat and it's much more fun riding at night! I keep my batteries stored in the basement where the temp is not hot or cold and they recommend 40-50% charge for long storage of Li-ion batteries. I use my Lupines year round either riding or with a headband and have a super bright headlamp.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,651
    Quote Originally Posted by rmi
    Hey all:

    So, after a good winter of using my Gemini light, daylight hours are again lengthening and I doubt I will be using my light very much until next winter.

    What's the best way to store the battery? Fully charged? Fully discharged? In the freezer (seriously)? I know the best thing to do would be to use it regularly, but if I can't do that......?

    Thanks for any advice- Ryan
    I'm like most others, for me Spring, Summer and fall are the riding seasons. Anyway, for long term storage; a 60% charge sounds about right. Ideally, a temperature of about 50 degrees F. would be perfect. Some people store in their refrigerators. I suppose that would work but I just don't like the idea of putting it in a place with my food. The basement idea sounds good. Just don't leave your batteries in a hot car. Now if I did the refrigerator thing I would try to find a small metal or tin box, line the bottom with paper towels ( to absorb excess moisture ) then put the box ( with batteries inside ) on one of the uppermost shelves. Just be sure that when you finally take out the batteries that you allow them to come to room temperature before you charge.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    129
    This topic came up back in December.

    I took Cat-man-do's advice and store my batteries in the veggie bin in the fridge. I double wrap them in sealed freezer bags with a dessicant chip. I ran both of the batteries down to about 40-45% of charge (nothing scientific, just estimated based on total run time). I'm taking them out every 2 months, letting them sit on the counter overnight to warm up, recharge, see how they work, then run them down and re-store them. Note I am only doing this when I know I won't be using them for extended periods. These procedures were also recommended by some other sites I looked at. Only time will tell if it really helps extend battery life in any meaningful way.

  9. #9
    GeoMan
    Reputation: GEOMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,707
    Great advice, letting the batteries return to normal temperature prior to charging is absolutely vital. We have some Lupine battery packs that are in their 3rd useful year and still holding up well because of good care.

    Quote Originally Posted by betweenrides
    This topic came up back in December.

    I took Cat-man-do's advice and store my batteries in the veggie bin in the fridge. I double wrap them in sealed freezer bags with a dessicant chip. I ran both of the batteries down to about 40-45% of charge (nothing scientific, just estimated based on total run time). I'm taking them out every 2 months, letting them sit on the counter overnight to warm up, recharge, see how they work, then run them down and re-store them. Note I am only doing this when I know I won't be using them for extended periods. These procedures were also recommended by some other sites I looked at. Only time will tell if it really helps extend battery life in any meaningful way.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: heatstroke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,006
    3.7-3.9V per cell. most Lipo chargers will have a "storage" charge option.

    And in the Fridge, above freezing

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by GEOMAN
    Great advice, letting the batteries return to normal temperature prior to charging is absolutely vital. We have some Lupine battery packs that are in their 3rd useful year and still holding up well because of good care.

    Hey... I bought my Magicshine from you Geoman and I think I bought one of the first batches so they are fairly old. My battery is still going strong after more then 350+ charges! Well not 100% strong, but I still get 1hr 45 minutes- 2 hours of burn time on High and I am more then happy. And that is on a battery that you call a "recall". Yes I still use mine because I have dont have much choice. I cant afford to dump more money into another battery as of yet. I store and charge in an old military ammo can. I promise I have gotten my moneys worth out of my Magicshine!

    Wish I could afford a Lupine, but I can't.

  12. #12
    GeoMan
    Reputation: GEOMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,707
    Wow, 350 cycles in less than 2 years, you must be a commuter or a very keen night rider. The great news here is the Panasonic cells that are being used in the new GeoManGear battery pack and the Open-Light Systems pack on paper should be producing over 80% capacity at the 350 cycle mark, which means if cared for your recall replacement (4.5Ah) with 350 cycles should still produce 2.5 hours on high.

    http://geomangear.com/pdf/OL4.5Data.pdf

    Quote Originally Posted by MOMtbiker
    Hey... I bought my Magicshine from you Geoman and I think I bought one of the first batches so they are fairly old. My battery is still going strong after more then 350+ charges! Well not 100% strong, but I still get 1hr 45 minutes- 2 hours of burn time on High and I am more then happy. And that is on a battery that you call a "recall". Yes I still use mine because I have dont have much choice. I cant afford to dump more money into another battery as of yet. I store and charge in an old military ammo can. I promise I have gotten my moneys worth out of my Magicshine!

    Wish I could afford a Lupine, but I can't.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rakuman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    717
    Quote Originally Posted by GEOMAN
    Wow, 350 cycles in less than 2 years, you must be a commuter or a very keen night rider. The great news here is the Panasonic cells that are being used in the new GeoManGear battery pack and the Open-Light Systems pack on paper should be producing over 80% capacity at the 350 cycle mark, which means if cared for your recall replacement (4.5Ah) with 350 cycles should still produce 2.5 hours on high.

    http://geomangear.com/pdf/OL4.5Data.pdf
    Sweet sounds like they will be worth the wait
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking


  14. #14
    GeoMan
    Reputation: GEOMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,707
    It sure looks like it Rakuman, we have been testing production samples and getting over 3.25 hours on high consistently with the Bikeray III lighthead.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman
    Sweet sounds like they will be worth the wait
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •