Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Best under-$50 light at the moment?

I'm looking to buy a pair of lights for my girlfriend and I to go night riding together. I've done tons of research and found several options... the one linked below seems to be the most popular. Any other opinions on the best light under $50 for the time being?

LED Bicycle Bike Headlight Lamp Flashlight Light Headlamp 1000 Lumen CREE XML T6 | eBay

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by polar8 View Post
    I'm looking to buy a pair of lights for my girlfriend and I to go night riding together. I've done tons of research and found several options... the one linked below seems to be the most popular. Any other opinions on the best light under $50 for the time being?

LED Bicycle Bike Headlight Lamp Flashlight Light Headlamp 1000 Lumen CREE XML T6 | eBay
    37$, can't go wrong.
    Dammit I paid 45 for mine
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Cool, guess I'll give it a shot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Check out the new customer $10 discount w/ that vendor. That's now $29 provided there's no catch which there probably is.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Where are you seeing a $10 new customer discount?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mb323323 View Post
    Check out the new customer $10 discount w/ that vendor. That's now $29 provided there's no catch which there probably is.
    Looks like the catch is that it's a headlight and battery but no handlebar mount or helmet mount. Still a good deal.

Whats the new customer discount?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit View Post
    37$, can't go wrong.
    Dammit I paid 45 for mine
    You can get them cheaper than that now if you're willing to wait for shipping from China. That said, I'm a big fan of instant gratification so fast shipping from the US has some value too.

Edit: Also, the $10 discount appears to be for Bill Me Later, not from the seller.
    2011 Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disc 29
    Nukeproof Proton Pedals
    Ergon GP2 Grips
    Avid BB7 Brakes

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I just posted about these the other day. I had mentioned that this particular light had several advantages over other similar XML T6 lights on ebay.

Copied & pasted from my other post:

There are a lot of XML T6 bike lights on ebay, but I thought I'd share a link to what I think is one of the better deals going at the moment.

There are several things about this particular light that make it better as far as I'm concerned.

1. US shipper, fast shipping.

2. Rubber encased battery (as opposed to the plastic shrink wrapped ones on most of these Chinese bike lights).

3. Two strap battery bag. The straps are also longer then the single strap bags, so they actually fit around modern, fatter frames.

4. Orange Peel reflector.

5. Cable connectors are threaded and have a little o-ring in them making them more waterproof.

Now I can't confirm my #6, but I believe the lighthead will be lighter then some others on the market. I have another XML T6 light that has what appears to be the same lighthead, and it weighs less then my Magicshine 808 (P7). By about 15 grams if I remember correctly.

So there you have it, at least 5 (and maybe 6) things that are better then many similar XML T6 lights on ebay.
    Even though I don't need another light, I may just have to get one of these.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Just below the price.

BillMeLater New customers get $10 back on 1st purchase
    Subject to credit approval.See terms

As Neme said, looks like not from seller. May have to apply for a credit card or something.

Still cheap tho.

B.Ike
    can a light like this left on while charging/plugged in.,

mtbr member
    Is there really any difference between this listing and the MJ808E available on Action-LED-Lights?
    Action-LED-Lights — MJ-808E, 4 mode 1000* lumen bike light

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by elwoodturner View Post
    can a light like this left on while charging/plugged in.,
    No, there is only one plug on the battery, so either the charger is plugged into the battery, or the light is plugged into the battery, can't do both.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    Is there really any difference between this listing and the MJ808E available on Action-LED-Lights?
    Action-LED-Lights — MJ-808E, 4 mode 1000* lumen bike light
    About $40 difference. And I can't tell if Action LED's cables connecters are threaded, but it doesn't appear so.

With that said, Action LED has been around for a while, and is known to have great customer service. That's something that the first time light buyer should take into account.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I just received the light that fightnut references. Was delivered in 3 days. I do not have the Magicshine to compare it to but it seems to be of reasonable quality. I'll report back once I mount it to the bike and go on a ride.
    Airborne Guardian

mtbr member
    I just ordered one as well, getting it in three days is pretty killer. Also ordered a wide lens from Action LED Lights since it's going to be on the handlebars.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by polar8 View Post

[LED Bicycle Bike Headlight Lamp Flashlight Light Headlamp 1000 Lumen CREE XML T6 | eBay[/url]
    Decent light, cheaper components than the magic shine, spoke grenade, lumintrek (all around 90-100$) and my friend's battery would not hold a charge longer than 10 minutes after only 4-5 rides so he returned it and got a magic shine. i have the lumintrek tb-1000 and have no complaints

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Chezowan View Post
    and my friend's battery would not hold a charge longer than 10 minutes after only 4-5 rides so he returned it and got a magic shine.
    Your friend has that exact light from that seller, or he has one "like" it?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    can't post links because i'm less than 10 posts

amazon.com/Bicycle-HeadLight-headLamp-improved-battery/dp/B005WPXNQ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352658264&sr=8-1&keywords=cree+t6+1000+lumen

might be slightly different? seems basically identical though

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks for the suggestion and link.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Chezowan View Post
    can't post links because i'm less than 10 posts

amazon.com/Bicycle-HeadLight-headLamp-improved-battery/dp/B005WPXNQ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352658264&sr=8-1&keywords=cree+t6+1000+lumen

might be slightly different? seems basically identical though
    Not identical. The battery appears to be different (not rubber encased like the one in the link from the original post).

Hell, the photos in that Amazon ad show different lightheads, and different battery bags. Which one are they actually sending out??

And therein lies the problem, there are so many lights that look similar, and most don't have a name brand, or a particular sku#, or model# , etc.

So some people think they're all the same, some are even calling them "Magicshines" when they aren't.

It creates a lot of confusion when people don't notice the small differences, or they don't think the small differences are worth noting.

A rubber encased battery is a step up from a shrink wrapped battery in my opinion (and most people would agree).
    A light that has connectors that are threaded so it won't come apart is a step up from one where the cables can too easily be pulled apart.
    A battery bag that has one short strap on it is almost useless when you need to secure it to your oversized frame. So a bag with two longer straps is a step up.
    And so on and so on.

So when people say "well, they're basically identical", and they get a light they aren't happy with, it's on them. Unfortunately they will come on here and bash all "similar" lights then.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    does anyone know if they offer the ebay light with the 3LEDs, with the threaded connector + rubber connector + orange peel reflector?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut View Post
    There are several things about this particular light that make it better as far as I'm concerned.

1. US shipper, fast shipping.
    Received the light four days after purchase

2. Rubber encased battery (as opposed to the plastic shrink wrapped ones on most of these Chinese bike lights).
    Nicely sealed up battery

3. Two strap battery bag. The straps are also longer then the single strap bags, so they actually fit around modern, fatter frames.
    Can confirm that the straps are long enough to fit around my fat-tubed 29er, very long cables from the battery to the connector and lighthead to it's connector. Long enough to mount the battery on the frame and have plenty of loose cable for handlebar rotation.

4. Orange Peel reflector.
    Guessing you mean that the reflector is dimpled rather than smooth, I can confirm this

5. Cable connectors are threaded and have a little o-ring in them making them more waterproof.
    Confirmed as well. The connectors have an O-ring and then a threaded plastic nut that locks the connection together

Now I can't confirm my #6, but I believe the lighthead will be lighter then some others on the market. I have another XML T6 light that has what appears to be the same lighthead, and it weighs less then my Magicshine 808 (P7). By about 15 grams if I remember correctly.
    I forgot to weigh it last night when I unpacked it but I can do so tonight and post back up

So there you have it, at least 5 (and maybe 6) things that are better then many similar XML T6 lights on ebay.
    Even though I don't need another light, I may just have to get one of these.
    I'm very impressed with it, just playing around at the house. Has five modes that I can tell, high, medium, low, blinking 2x a second, and slow blinking ~1x per second.

Only gripe and not sure if any competitors are any better, but I'd like to see some confirmation on the charger or the battery that it is fully charged rather than just waiting 5-6 hours and knowing that's how long it takes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Rode 7.5 miles last night with 2 of these lights (one helmet, one handlebar with wide angle lens). More than enough light. Only used Medium setting. No need for high. Everything stayed mounted going over rocky technical stuff. Very impressed. Once I get the legit charger from Action Led I will be all set.
    Airborne Guardian

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    Only gripe and not sure if any competitors are any better, but I'd like to see some confirmation on the charger or the battery that it is fully charged rather than just waiting 5-6 hours and knowing that's how long it takes.
    Mine (from one of the China sellers) did come with a charger that indicates when it's done charging. Also has the OP reflector, but none of the rest of the stuff on the list (although I haven't noticed any problems with the single strap bag on my bike).

Thing is, there's a lot of variation among the China sellers, so depending on who you go with (tomtop for me) you may get different stuff.
    2011 Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disc 29
    Nukeproof Proton Pedals
    Ergon GP2 Grips
    Avid BB7 Brakes

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by comphynum View Post
    Rode 7.5 miles last night with 2 of these lights (one helmet, one handlebar with wide angle lens). More than enough light. Only used Medium setting. No need for high. Everything stayed mounted going over rocky technical stuff. Very impressed. Once I get the legit charger from Action Led I will be all set.
    Hi,

which charger from Action LED are you going to order to go with this?
    thanks
    My training BLOG

training BLOG for a regular joe Married w/ children, Full time Job, No Genetic talent, wanna-be mountain bike racer

Morris Training Primer

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast