Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Can you replace the stock orange peel with the Xera spot reflector from Action LED
    Can you replace the lens with the Action LED wide angle lens? for the MJ880?

The reason I ask is to be able to fully customize this for dedicated spot or flood as I'd purchase two of them and customize one with smooth reflector and one with orange peel and wide lens.

thanks
    My training BLOG

training BLOG for a regular joe Married w/ children, Full time Job, No Genetic talent, wanna-be mountain bike racer

Morris Training Primer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ashwinearl View Post
    Can you replace the lens with the Action LED wide angle lens? for the MJ880?
    I already installed this wide lens from Action LED:
    Action-LED-Lights — Wide Angle Lens

Fit perfectly and it's mounted on the bike for my commute home tonight.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Posting now so I can find this thread tomorrow and buy the same light! :thumbup:
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    A final advantage to add to fightnut's points, this one has a 1 year warranty. Most of the other ones shipped from China have 1 month warranties. This is a different one I purchased in September:
    New CREE XML XM L T6 1800Lm LED Bicycle Bike Head Light Lamp | eBay
    it worked great for about 3-4 rides then crapped out in the middle of the woods about a week ago. I emailed the vendor hoping to get it replaced but I already left positive feedback so they couldn't care less. If this U.S. based vendor actually makes good on the 1 year warranty, it's a huge advantage IMO.

Blanco
    Nov 2004
    The same eBay light in the OP appears to be available from Amazon here, for the same price ($40).

At least it claims the same specs (4-mode H-M-L-strobe), uses the exact same pictures (rubberized battery case, OP reflector), and the pictures are all apparently of the same version of the light.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by El Caballo View Post
    The same eBay light in the OP appears to be available from Amazon here, for the same price ($40).

At least it claims the same specs (4-mode H-M-L-strobe), uses the exact same pictures (rubberized battery case, OP reflector), and the pictures are all apparently of the same version of the light.
    It's the same seller from ebay. I had contacted the ebay seller, and their reply had the same company name as the Amazon seller (ATC LLC).

mtbr member
    Comes with a different charger than pictured and I'm kinda bummed out that there isnt any warning that the light is about to go out according to one of the reviews on Amazon.

I havent run mine completely dry yet but have topped it off after a few nights of riding just to make sure.

No notification on the charger that the battery is full and no notification on the lighthead that the battery charge is dropping. Big reasons why this light is so much cheaper than a Magicshine 808. If I had to do it again I might spend a little more for the security of knowing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have one of the ebay xm-l clones. It is labeled as sanguan on the light but not on the box or in the ad.
    I believe i paid 43 dollars. Comes with lighthead, o rings, battery, charger, and helmet mount. It had the OP reflector. Light has a greenish tint to it that none of my other t6 lights have but its tolerable. Beam was ok but is very good now with actions wide angle lens. Runtime on hi is about 3 hours, battery connection isnt a firm, positive one but it works. Also it never seems to register low battery and just kick out at random so be careful and carry backup

That being said i have a few magicshines and geminis so i rarely use it but as a backup its quite good. sometimes if im riding on a busy holiday weekend i will throw it on as a strobe to be safe

Considering that you can get 2 of these for under a hundred dollars and a wide angle lens its not bad. Probably a good alternative to the magicshines if that is you maximum budget, as this way you dont get stranded in the woods with a single light that doesnt work, you always have a backup

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    Comes with a different charger than pictured .
    What did the seller say when you notified them about this?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut View Post
    What did the seller say when you notified them about this?
    Honestly I hadnt but I just messaged them to see whats up.

Blanco
    Nov 2004
    Update for the ATC version of the light, sold on ebay and on Amazon:

Mine arrived in three business days, since ATC is a US seller. The light and accessories came in a plain white box with a short instruction sheet/warranty card.

On the bad side, the light no longer has mode memory: it always comes on in High, and you have to cycle through Hi->Med->Lo->Flash->SOS to turn it off. The O-rings don't have the little pull tab. And the charger still has no LED to indicate charging status.

On the good side, the battery indicator is now functional! The button turns red when the battery is almost gone, and it's relative to the mode: if it goes red on high beam, turn it to medium or low and it'll be green for a while longer.

Also on the good side, the battery case is still the good kind, with two straps; the battery itself is encased in rubber, not just shrinkwrapped; the connectors have the screw-on shield and O-ring so they won't pull out when riding; the reflector is still OP; and the combination of the light cord and the battery cord is long enough to reach all the way to your jersey's back pocket or a lumbar pack.

I got about 3:30 out of a fully-charged battery pack on high, with an ambient temperature of 65 degrees, which exceeds the claim of 3 hours. There is a perceptible difference between Hi->Med->Lo. The light head gets very hot in high mode, like "too hot to hold".

The LED tint is pretty good: it's cool white, but not outrageously so, with no blatant bluish cast or massive green rings. I put a very slight amber filter on it to make it more neutral, but it's much better than most cheap LED flashlights.

Verdict: This seems to be one of the better versions of this light. It worked fine out of the box, the battery exceeded claimed run time (though it'll decrease in cold conditions), and a US seller with a (claimed) one-year warranty is a bonus.

mtbr member
    Mine was 28$ with shipping costs. Here: 1200 Lumen CREE XML T6 LED Bike Bicycle Outdoor Sports Light Headlight Headlamp | eBay

It has an OP reflector, but the battery case is not so great: it is not rubberized like many others, so not so much waterproof and it has only one velcro strap. The charger does have one led indicating charging (red) and green (charged.
    Will put it out on test tonight to see how much i can pull out of this battery on high...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Update for the ATC version of the light, sold

On the bad side, the light no longer has mode memory: it always comes on in High, and you have to cycle through Hi->Med->Lo->Flash->SOS to turn it off. The O-rings don't have the little pull tab. And the charger still has no LED to indicate charging status.
    I was thinking of getting this light from this exact seller, but I can't stand having to cycle through 2 flash modes. It would be a second light for me, the first being a Magishine 808e with a remote button, but that UI is terrible.

A charger with no LED on a lithium based battery scares me. Do you know if it has the same connectors as the magicshine, I could always use that charger.

mtbr member
    Yeah i forgot to mention how is the UI of my clone (main reason why i chose this one, perharps):
    1 click to cycle through HI - MED - LOW - OFF
    3 sec holding = flashing

Its a good thing not to have to cycle through the flashing.
    Last edited by PedroDank; 12-06-2012 at 02:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Update for the ATC version of the light, sold on ebay and on Amazon:

Mine arrived in three business days, since ATC is a US seller. The light and accessories came in a plain white box with a short instruction sheet/warranty card.

On the good side, the battery indicator is now functional! The button turns red when the battery is almost gone, and it's relative to the mode: if it goes red on high beam, turn it to medium or low and it'll be green for a while longer.

Also on the good side, the battery case is still the good kind, with two straps; the battery itself is encased in rubber, not just shrinkwrapped; the connectors have the screw-on shield and O-ring so they won't pull out when riding; the reflector is still OP; and the combination of the light cord and the battery cord is long enough to reach all the way to your jersey's back pocket or a lumbar pack.

I got about 3:30 out of a fully-charged battery pack on high, with an ambient temperature of 65 degrees, which exceeds the claim of 3 hours. There is a perceptible difference between Hi->Med->Lo. The light head gets very hot in high mode, like "too hot to hold".

The LED tint is pretty good: it's cool white, but not outrageously so, with no blatant bluish cast or massive green rings. I put a very slight amber filter on it to make it more neutral, but it's much better than most cheap LED flashlights.

Verdict: This seems to be one of the better versions of this light. It worked fine out of the box, the battery exceeded claimed run time (though it'll decrease in cold conditions), and a US seller with a (claimed) one-year warranty is a bonus.
    Thanks for the info.

Which light is the best out the one you posted and these on Ebay?
    3X CREE XM L T6 LED 3800Lm LED Headlight Headlamp Bicycle Bike Light | eBay

New CREE XML XM L T6 1800Lm LED Bicycle Bike Head Light Lamp | eBay

There seems to be so many choices in the under $50 lights. I just don't want to buy some complete POS.
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 3
    http://tincup69.blogspot.com/

Rides the Desert
    Does anyone know about how long the lights from China will take to arrive?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    It would depend on which seller you order from. Generally speaking anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks.
    Most stuff I've ever ordered from China (lights and more) was in the 3 week range.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroDank View Post
    Yeah i forgot to mention how is the UI of my clone (main reason why i chose this one, perharps):
    1 click to cycle through HI - MED - LOW - OFF
    3 sec holding = flashing

Its a good thing not to have to cycle through the flashing.
    Yeah, that's a much better UI. Too bad that there isn't an US based seller that has the good UI and good battery. It just takes so long to get stuff from China. I've waited three or four weeks just like fightnut, and it's too long for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    Yeah, that's a much better UI. Too bad that there isn't an US based seller that has the good UI and good battery. It just takes so long to get stuff from China. I've waited three or four weeks just like fightnut, and it's too long for me.
    You can shop e-bay for lights but you always have to check where the item is being mailed from. When in doubt you have to ask the seller.

Here is one the fits the 3-mode ( H-M-L ) ( flash, hold and press ) that is offered on Amazon. As far as I know it is shipped from inside the USA. >
    Masione Waterproof CREE T6 LED 4-Mode 1000-Lumen White LED Bike Light Headlamp with Battery Pack Set
    by Atc

Expect 3-4 days shipping and maybe $7 or so for shipping. If they run out of stock don't blame me. It's the Christmas season, things sell out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    You can shop e-bay for lights but you always have to check where the item is being mailed from. When in doubt you have to ask the seller.

Here is one the fits the 3-mode ( H-M-L ) ( flash, hold and press ) that is offered on Amazon. As far as I know it is shipped from inside the USA. >
    Masione Waterproof CREE T6 LED 4-Mode 1000-Lumen White LED Bike Light Headlamp with Battery Pack Set
    by Atc

Expect 3-4 days shipping and maybe $7 or so for shipping. If they run out of stock don't blame me. It's the Christmas season, things sell out.

It says free shipping.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Thanks for the link Cat-man-do, but it appears to be the standard high low flashing UI. It doesn't say anything about 3 second hold to get to the flash mode. The seller is route66. That's the problem with amazon though, it will give you a different seller depending on who currently has stock and the lowest price.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    Thanks for the link Cat-man-do, but it appears to be the standard high low flashing UI. It doesn't say anything about 3 second hold to get to the flash mode. The seller is route66. That's the problem with amazon though, it will give you a different seller depending on who currently has stock and the lowest price.
    Sorry about that. Looks like the title ad had it listed as 4-mode but in the product description they change it to 3-mode. Sorry, that got by me. At least it was a USA vendor.

Here's an e-bay link> LED Bicycle Bike Headlight Lamp Flashlight Light Headlamp 1000 Lumen CREE XML T6 | eBay
    Hopefully what you are looking for. Still, the seller is shipping from same area of USA as the Amazon vendor. Check with the vendor first before ordering to make sure this is the ( H-M-L-flash ) version. My CAt guts are telling me this could be the same vendor. Buyer beware.

Blanco
    Nov 2004
    Here's an e-bay link> Hopefully what you are looking for.
    That's the same ebay listing I purchased mine from, so odds are good it'll be exactly as I described, including the 5-mode (but also including the working low battery indicator).

mtbr member
    That's the same ebay listing I purchased mine from, so odds are good it'll be exactly as I described, including the 5-mode (but also including the working low battery indicator).
    Sounds good. Win, win!

mtbr member
    You might want to know that there are ~30$ U2 LED lights available now on eBay. Just search for "xml led u2 headlight" and you will see, or just check one other thread: A new light xml U2 light (review)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast