Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    May be time to pull the trigger on a couple if these. My old magicshine only lasted 1:45 on high last night.

How.much run time are you guys getting on high?
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    You might just want to build or buy a new battery.

The batteries in this thread look interesting.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I think you pasted the wrong thread. It takes me to a thread about a shock.

I bought two of those lights before you mentioned battery and I was like "crap!" Didn't even think about replacing. Ah well. I'll probably give my.magicshine to my buddy for xmas and just keep the two lights.
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Thats weird. When I click on it it brings me to the battery thread.

Try searching

26650 battery pack

in this forum

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ah, It works on my laptop. For some reason tapatalk app on my android directs me to the random thread.

For $10 more you get a new battery, light, and mounts from the ebay link.

I would buy them if they were $15-$20.

mtbr member
    Yeah, but they should have more stored energy and last longer on a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    Ah, It works on my laptop. For some reason tapatalk app on my android directs me to the random thread.

For $10 more you get a new battery, light, and mounts from the ebay link.

I would buy them if they were $15-$20.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    ah. I'll research that thread a a bit. I should look into that at a later time then.

I like rigid MTB.

I bought one of this in Ebay and shipped to my door for US$53 !!!

I bought one of this in Ebay and shipped to my door for US$53 !!! I heard nothing but excellent feedbacks so far.

3X CREE LED XM L T6 LED 4000Lm Bicycle Light Bike Lamp Headlight Headlamp R1 3T6 | eBay

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Man, I just can't bring myself to have some thing delivered from China. If its made on China, brought here, then sold to me and delivered from a US distributor, hell yea. I just don't want to order something and wait month with the chance it never gets here and I have to go through a hassle to get my money back.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ok, I just just recieved my light. Totally buying a 2nd (after tomorrows test of course). It feels very well built. The body weighs less than my magicshine 808e. It's a little more of a spotlight than I wanted but i plan to order a 2nd and a wider lens. Any recommendations on a lens?

I hope to night ride with a buddy tomorrow to test duration on high.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Kikoraa, there is really only one lens to get. It's from Action LED.
    Use the lens on your bar light, and the stock lens on your helmet light.
    The combo works great.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    is this the lens you are talking about?

Action-LED-Lights — Wide Angle Lens

Also has anyone tried using this smooth reflector to concentrate the beam and minimize throw?

Action-LED-Lights — XERA Spot Optic

I know there was a poster talking about it earlier but never heard feedback.
    Last edited by kikoraa; 12-20-2012 at 06:23 PM.

mtbr member
    If you're using an exact copy of MS's 808, you have other lenses too from mtbl.robs-x.com
    I have the one linked above this post from Action Led's too and it works great.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    a question...
    I ordered the xera spot optic from action LED to use with the ebay light but i dont really know how to install it. Does it replace the OP refector? If thats the case its not the same size... Am i supposed to dismantle the light to find what i need to replace?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Anyone have experience with this light or any similar lights from AMAZON (I have ~$80 in gift cards)

Would Action LED's wide angle lens work with this?

Amazon.com: 3X CREE XM-L T6 LED 3800Lm LED Headlight Headlamp and Bicycle Light: Sports & Outdoors

I know it's more than $50, but this just seems to be the right place to ask.

Merendon Junkie

1200 xml t6 burn time test

This cheap light has not behaved badly at all. I filmed a burn test a few nights ago and got some impressive burn time with no noticeable dimming(it turns off in one go). I shined brightly for almost 4 hours!!!! I had to run in two parts as it was getting late and I had to go to bed. I do not trust it enough to leave it unattended. I didnt want to wake up to a house on fire. Amazon.com: 4 Mode 1200 Lumen CREE XML T6 Bulb LED Bicycle bike HeadLight Lamp Flashlight Light Headlamp: Sports & Outdoors

I also did a burn time test on my expilion 350 on "boost" mode.

Cheers
    Last edited by abelfonseca; 01-10-2013 at 06:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryank930 View Post
    Anyone have experience with this light or any similar lights from AMAZON (I have ~$80 in gift cards)

Would Action LED's wide angle lens work with this?

Amazon.com: 3X CREE XM-L T6 LED 3800Lm LED Headlight Headlamp and Bicycle Light: Sports & Outdoors

I know it's more than $50, but this just seems to be the right place to ask.
    I have one coming also....
    A giant thread on it right here:
    New clone 3 x XML T-6 49.88 shipped

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by polar8 View Post
    I'm looking to buy a pair of lights for my girlfriend and I to go night riding together. I've done tons of research and found several options... the one linked below seems to be the most popular. Any other opinions on the best light under $50 for the time being?
    polar, can you give us an update on this light? Is it still working, is the battery life the same etc.

I like rigid MTB.

There is a discussion about LED light for night ride in Pink Bike...

Please follow link...

Night Riding - Page 2 - Pinkbike Forum

I bought one of this light from this Ebay seller and I'm very impressed with the light.

3X CREE LED XM L T6 LED 4000Lm Bicycle Light Bike Lamp Headlight Headlamp R1 3T6 | eBay

I just came back from my Tuesday 10pm night ride and I'm trying my new 'Chinese LED light'. I'm very impressed ! It was very very bright. I used the low level setting only and it is bright enough for my night trail run. The session lasted for 2 hrs and 20mins. and it still going very strong. I didn't even had the need to use Mid or High power setting. I'm impressed !!!

mtbr member
    If you already have a good battery, this could be great too. I would get that myself if my 808 cloned failed on me.

I like rigid MTB.

Smart looking unit but not as brighter as mine. :)

Quote Originally Posted by PedroDank View Post
    If you already have a good battery, this could be great too. I would get that myself if my 808 cloned failed on me.

Smart looking unit but not as brighter as mine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

My current favorite light under $50

I bought this and have been really pleased with it. It has even survived some bad spills without a problem.

Decent run time with external battery pack...

dx.com/p/p7-water-resistant-ssc-p7-3-mode-1200-lumen-white-led-bike-light-with-battery-pack-set-82734?rt=1&p=0&m=0&r=3&k=1&t=1&s=82510&u=82734]P7 Water Resistant SSC-P7 3-Mode 900~1200-Lumen White LED Bike Light with Battery Pack Set - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    Is there really any difference between this listing and the MJ808E available on Action-LED-Lights?
    Action-LED-Lights — MJ-808E, 4 mode 1000* lumen bike light
    Ok, You got my attention now.
    No, these certainly are not the same as the Magicshine lights we are selling. There are dozens of little companies in China that, seeing the success of Magicshine, decided to make one "like" it and get in on the market. (there's almost no intellectual property protection in China)
    I've had a lot of customers that started out with knockoffs and them came to us when they had problems. From conversations with them these are the common problem seen.

Batteries - this is the big one. For most light companies the Li-ion battery is about half the cost of the light set. Clone builders use second grade batteries that are rejects from laptop makers. If your lucky you get a pack that last awhile but most don't seem to make it past 6 months and many less.

Wires - A wire that has to flex all the time needed to be made from finely stranded copper to not fatigue and crack. I've had a lot of reports of wires breaking at the connectors or were they enter the battery or light.

Connectors - A lot of the connectors fail after a short time.

Chargers - Many chargers seem to be very low quality. I had one customer buying a new charger after his literally blew apart when he plugged it in.

Reflectors - Many come with a smooth reflector that makes a tight spot with almost no spill. I sell a lot of orange peal reflectors and wide angle lenses to fix these up

All these clone companies tell you that their using XM-L-T6 LED's. But then they also tell you there putting out 1600 or up to 2200 lumens too. According to CREE, 1000 is all that's possible with the best of the best T6's. I'd say the odds that your really getting T6 bin is pretty low. The lower bins are lower cost.

Magicshine has been at it for about 4 years now and has made many improvements along the way. They had most of these issues at the beginning but they have continually worked to improve their lights and have kept the cost pretty reasonable. All things considered it's pretty hard to find a better value.
    Last edited by Action LED Lights; 01-27-2013 at 10:11 AM.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

mtbr member
    Action Led

I have to agree w you. I have an old Jet lites with threaded connectors so I like the details.
    Anyhow I just charged a new cree xml t6 I received from Amazon today ~$40 . Like the lighthead but as soon as I connected the connectors I felt a lot of play not positive feeling . The charger was fine as it does not move but the light battery connection was even worse . Connected not connected with the slightest of movements. Too bad because it was really bright .Anyway UPS should be coming tomorrow to return it to Amazon. CREE XML XM-L T6 LED Bike Bicycle Light HeadLight HeadLamp 1200LM Red

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    So I bought 2 of these. Realized I only need one and a second one kind of annoys me. If anyone is wanting to pick up the ebay one pm me first.

VChuck
    Nov 2009
    Action Led,
    Thank you,sir for your post

rj2
    mtbr member
    How many LEDs flash in strobe mode?
    We take care of your technology needs so you can focus on what's important.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    just wondering, how can you ride with a bike light that has a hotspot??

mtbr member
    See here
    Focus very cheap vs focus Magicshine II
    lucespotentesparatubici: Foco muy barato vs Foco Magicshine II
    Looking for power lights?, see here

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by epic-gamer View Post
    There's still light outside the hotspot, which is still bright enough to see what you are doing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by epic-gamer View Post
    Not as hard as you may think. While it is preferable to have a wider beam for the bars ANY good/bright light source will work in a pinch.

When I do rides that start in the day and end with a hour or so of darkness, I usually just bring two torches...one for the bars one for the helmet. Both are XM-L emitter torches and both have hot spots. Works very well.

Action LED Lights

Buyer Beware

Everyone here should be sure and read this other thread "Exploding Battery pack - CREE XM-LT6 LED Bicycle Light "
    For $30 or so you should know what your getting and the risk you are taking.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

Dirt Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Action LED Lights View Post
    Everyone here should be sure and read this other thread "Exploding Battery pack - CREE XM-LT6 LED Bicycle Light "
    For $30 or so you should know what your getting and the risk you are taking.
    In my opinion, a lot of product and minimal risk.

Mr Harger, I like your company and have purchased products from you and have recommended you to others. In my opinion, if you want to grow your business and enhance your reputation, you need to present the advantages of your company and products, not just try to hype fear of your compeditors. Your above post cheapens your company's message. Maybe if you would site specific examples or studies of your own products failure or non-failure rates, if you have that information. Like I noted in the "exploding battery" thread, from what I understand, Lithium Ion batteries can be fairly volitile as witnessed by Boeing's and GM's well publicized battery failures. At this point, it seems to be the nature of the beast, but I don't know if this one example (from the linked thread) constitutes a trend. This last example, along with the one exploding battery shown on this website years ago with one of your product lines, Magic Shine, are the only 2 exploding failures that I'm aware of, though I'm sure there are more. This does not make a "sky is falling" moment for me.

Once again, just my opinion.

Rock
    Last edited by Rock; 02-10-2013 at 05:40 AM.
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock View Post
    Like I noted in the "exploding battery" thread, from what I understand, Lithium Ion batteries can be fairly volitile as witnessed by Boeing's and GM's well publicized battery failures.
    I should point out that the only GM battery failures I'm aware of were due to damaged batteries from crash testing that were improperly handled. Not the same thing as a battery exploding during normal operation.
    2011 Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disc 29
    Nukeproof Proton Pedals
    Ergon GP2 Grips
    Avid BB7 Brakes

Dirt Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by nemebean View Post
    I should point out that the only GM battery failures I'm aware of were due to damaged batteries from crash testing that were improperly handled. Not the same thing as a battery exploding during normal operation.
    Good point. Good thing nobody ever crashes on a mountain bike........

Don't get me wrong. I fully support these inexpensive lights, I've been buying them for years. My point is, accidents happen and there's no reason to freak out over something that happens once, or twice.

Rock

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Good point. Good thing nobody ever crashes on a mountain bike........
    I suspect that if you were ever subjected to a NHTSA crash test on your bike, an exploding battery would be the least of your worries.

To be clear, I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you. I had to have a laptop battery replaced a few years ago because they found a flaw in a batch of the ones they were using. And this was from a major manufacturer who, in theory, knows what they're doing. There's always going to be some risk when you're dealing with the type of chemicals that go into batteries.
    2011 Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disc 29
    Nukeproof Proton Pedals
    Ergon GP2 Grips
    Avid BB7 Brakes

I like rigid MTB.

It is a great idea to put the battery into a metal container when charging...

It is a great idea to put the battery into a metal container when charging. I think we should apply this method to all devices with Lithium Ion batteries.
    Last edited by edle; 02-10-2013 at 04:24 AM. Reason: add detail

Action LED Lights
    In my opinion, a lot of product and minimal risk.

Mr Harger, I like your company and have purchased products from you and have recommended you to others. In my opinion, if you want to grow your business and enhance your reputation, you need to present the advantages of your company and products, not just try to hype fear of your compeditors. Your above post cheapens your company's message. Maybe if you would site specific examples or studies of your own products failure or non-failure rates, if you have that information. Like I noted in the "exploding battery" thread, from what I understand, Lithium Ion batteries can be fairly volitile as witnessed by Boeing's and GM's well publicized battery failures. At this point, it seems to be the nature of the beast, but I don't know if this one example (from the linked thread) constitutes a trend. This last example, along with the one exploding battery shown on this website years ago with one of your product lines, Magic Shine, are the only 2 exploding failures that I'm aware of, though I'm sure there are more. This does not make a "sky is falling" moment for me.

Once again, just my opinion.

Rock
    Rock, I accept your criticism that I should have provided more information with my post. I was not trying to scare people, just caution them to use safe practices when charging.

I response to some of your other comments,
    I do not consider these $30 knockoffs to be competitors. They are in a whole other league from the lights I sell. I do consider them to be of questionable value when their reliability is factored in.
    Cells from reputable manufacturers undergo extensive testing that includes crushing and even driving a nail into the cell. They are allowed to vent hot gas, even flame, but not explode.
    The failed Magicshine batteries were in their first years when they were using no-name batteries probably similar to what the knockoffs are now using. In response they switched to BAK and Panasonic cells and ate the increased cost. I haven't heard of any issues with MS batteries since then.

As long as we're talking battery safety I will mention what I always stress this time of year. NEVER charge your battery when it (the battery) is below freezing. Bring it inside and allow it to warm up before plugging it in. Charging below 35F can cause shorts to develop in the cells.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

Dirt Junkie
    Mr. Harger,

Good info. Thanks for providing.

A nail? Seriously? I will heed your warning and not recharge below 35 degrees.

Rock

mtbr member
    May 2012
    in light of the exploding battery thread and the other reports of batteries on these chinese lights going out prematurely.. i ordered a Dinotte XML-3 light.. I consider the MagicShines in the same category as the cheap ebay lights.. I would not trust those either...

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by boogman View Post
    in light of the exploding battery thread and the other reports of batteries on these chinese lights going out prematurely.. i ordered a Dinotte XML-3 light.. I consider the MagicShines in the same category as the cheap ebay lights.. I would not trust those either...
    I would say there is probably about a million Magicshine owners out there that would disagree with you. They had a few issues in there first year of production, but they put in the effort to work through those and in the past 5 years I would say we've had a less than 1% failure rate with Magicshine lights and I know a lot of riders that have been using theirs steadily for all that time. (with a new battery along the way)
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks good to know.. 1 million really? The market is that big for these bike lights?

Action LED Lights
    Based on what I know has sold in this country from Geomangear and ourselves I'd say 1 mil world wide is not out of the question.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I have founf this new MJ 880 Clone for sale at KD, CNQG and at DX for as low as $49. Its fancy and uses XML U2 leds, check it out the SolarStorm X2:

www .cnqualitygoods.com/goods.php?id=1883

Another interesting light at the same price point it the RUSTU at DX. Its a mix MJ 816 and MJ 880.

RUSTU XM-L T6 + 2 x XP-G R5 1400lm 5-Mode White Bicycle Light - Black (4 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Wich on you do you think would have the most powerfull output and the most usefull beam patern? I know Catman was aiting for a MJ 880 clone. Think this is worth a try?

Trail Addict
    Looks like a good light. But it's HUGE.

To the OP, hows it working for you now? I got caught up in the arguments in this thread lol.
    #JdubGriff
    KHS Comp St Hybrid

mtbr member
    May 2006

cheap option

A few mates and I have been buying these over the past 6 or so months, (I think we've purchased about 8 between us). Quick delivery. Seem well made. And no issues yet. Orange peel reflectors. One for bars, one for helmet. Cut elastic strap off helmet mount and ziptie to helmet. Red flashy back light as a bonus. Decent run time.

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2