Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Best Self-contained Tail Light

I use a Cateye and it's very nice and bright and has a lot of different patterns. But the other day I was riding with a buddy with a Serfas taillight that was incredibly bright and had a blink that could not possibly be missed by anyone who's not blind. It was literally almost too bright, if such a thing is possible.

I believe in being seen from a very long way off and having drivers avoid me at night. There is no way to avoid all risk, but cutting it down as far as possible is very nice.

That said, is there a consensus on what might be the 'Best' taillight? That Serfas was amazing. The Dinotte gets great reviews. I am not afraid of the cost but it must be recognized that it is not cheap, so for the money I want it to be 'better', whatever that means.

For the moment, I will continue to use my Cateyes, but I know that LED technology has improved and this one is a bit bulky, etc.

Suggestions? Discuss the best rear light you folks know of. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    The Dinotte, to answer your question.

However.

I own a Dinotte 140L and I cannot use it while other people are riding behind me. To cars it's not a problem (I've tested it). But to other bikers it's blinding - I rode with it for a while and after 3 different people complained I realized the problem is the light. And that's on low - that's another disadvantage of the light the last time I checked, no good "no, seriously put it on low power" setting.

If you ride regularly with your friends or other people I would definitely get something that is not as bright.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugano View Post
    That said, is there a consensus on what might be the 'Best' taillight? That Serfas was amazing. The Dinotte gets great reviews. I am not afraid of the cost but it must be recognized that it is not cheap, so for the money I want it to be 'better', whatever that means.....Suggestions? Discuss the best rear light you folks know of. Thanks!
    As far as self contained go I suspect you can't beat the Niteflux Redzone 4. I can't compare it to the Dinotte but I can tell you that it's super bright, super convenient and super visible. Beautifully made too. And there's now a matching front white light...

Savvas.

Church of the Wheel
    The best tail-light that I have found is the Light & Motion Vis 180. It's approximately 10 times brighter than the Planet Bike Superflashes and NR Cherry Bombs, etc., so very, very visible. Not as bright as things in the Dinotte category, but definitely bright enough so cars WILL see you, and a long long ways off at that.

It's a bit more expensive than lesser lights, but for good reasons. It uses power hungry high output LEDs, so to avoid burning through tons of disposable batteries, L&M built a rechargeable Li-ion pack into the light. This also allowed them to provide excellent weather sealing without having a big opening for a battery compartment. Battery recharges off a USB cable.

Besides no batteries to replace, and Super Brightness, the one other feature that I really love about this light is the mount. Whereas most clip-on flashers rely on a simple friction clip, this thing has a locking clip that securely attaches either to the bike mount or to a webbing loop or whatever. I've lost many other flashers because they popped off. This one is secure.

It's a beautiful self contained unit, well thought out and executed, as all L&M products tend to be. Highly recommended.
    "I thought you'd never love me without my Mojo." -Austin Powers

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Awesome ideas! Thanks! I have a L&M Seca 1400 and like it. I'll look at all the suggestions here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    The RSP Astrum is brilliant, I believe it is the same as the Serfas tl-200 in the US. It's got 2 very bright half watt LEDS and runs off 2 AAA batteries, seems well made too.

Got a suspension fork
    I guess it depends on whether you ride solo or not. I tend to do my road riding with other people, and the Planet Bike Super Flash lights are dang bright when you're 3 feet behind one. Too bright in fact.

The really crazy bright tail lights would be great when you ride alone, but I certainly could draft anybody with that sort of rear light output.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    May 2011
    In group rides anything more than 0.5watts is too bright. It's no fun riding behind someone that has a light scorching your eyes.

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    Quote Originally Posted by anekin007 View Post
    In group rides anything more than 0.5watts is too bright. It's no fun riding behind someone that has a light scorching your eyes.
    One of the things I like about my Vis180 is that one of its modes is to turn off the main big power LED, which just leaves the yellow LED blinking out the sides (and a bit out the back). It is still visibile, but doesn't hurt the eyes of my riding buddy at 6:30 in the morning. When you need to have the power, though, it is there!

Lots of good tail lights out there, though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb143 View Post
    The best tail-light that I have found is the Light & Motion Vis 180. It's approximately 10 times brighter than the Planet Bike Superflashes and NR Cherry Bombs, etc., so very, very visible. Not as bright as things in the Dinotte category, but definitely bright enough so cars WILL see you, and a long long ways off at that.
    That's a heck of a claim. I'm intrigued. If this light is 10x brighter than a PBSF I want one! One problem....there is a lack of "Good" comparative video to demonstrate this claim. The only video I see on You tube really doesn't show the actual output ( although the mounting system is top-notch ) One guy did compare one using a wall to demonstrate beam pattern but it was not view head-on or compared to a SF.

I just bought a new commuting bike so I'm in the market right now for a rear light that will totally rock and yet stay under $100. I prefer self-contained but I want something that will draw notable attention for day-time use. I'm seriously considering the DiNotte 140R. I'd like the 300R but OH! the money.

Anyone know of a good video comparing the new 1 watt PBSF Turbo vs the Vis 180 ??
    Anyone know what LED is being used to power the Vis 180 main led??

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    That's a heck of a claim. I'm intrigued. If this light is 10x brighter than a PBSF I want one!

Anyone know of a good video comparing the new 1 watt PBSF Turbo vs the Vis 180 ??
    Anyone know what LED is being used to power the Vis 180 main led??
    Sorry, don't have a video of the Vis180 vs. the superflash, but i can give you my anecdotal comparison....

Straight back, you won't see much of a difference, but as soon as you get a couple degrees off angle, the vis180 stays really bright, while the SF drops off a LOT. The SF basically has a super tight beam so that punch of light is only a very narrow cone. The whole plastic lens does light up pretty brightly, but it isn't remotely as intense as the center beam.

The Vis180, however, is super bright for a very wide range... about 90* (+\- 45*). After that, the secondary yellow light becomes visible on the sides from about 45* to 90* (straight out the side). It has a lot more lumens spread out over a much larger area - more chances to be seen.

The flash for the PB SF is pretty harsh (some people may prefer that), while the Vis180 pulses more (the yellow side lights flash).

The yellow side lights on the 180 make it more car like and help grab a drivers attention as they pass from the pulsing red behind you, to the flashing yellow as they get close to overtaking you... I think it is a pretty good attention getter.

Is it worth it? That is definitely a subjective call. The Vis180 is a much higher quality light, pretty much in every respect. It does cost 4 or 5 times as much, though.

As for the LED, the Vis180 uses a a full 1W red emitter and a 1/4W for the yellow side lights. The SF uses, IIRC, a 1/2W red and a couple high flux (meaning a lower class emitter) secondary red LEDs. Also, the SF is direct drive, so as the battery goes dead, the light gets dimmer, while the Vis180 is regulated so you get full output. You do need to recharge it more often, though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hi All,

I'll mention the Niteflux RedZone 4 again because I think it's mainly sold via mailorder and may not be as well known as it deserves to be. The RZ4 has 2 XP-? leds with a full range of programming options. I haven't bothered to explore all of the options on mine but I believe that it can be programmed to be very group-ride friendly on low while also being downright nasty on the highest setting. It uses no secondary lense so doesn't have the very focused narrow beam of the pbsf. In fact its beam seems pretty much evenly distributed across 180 deg. or maybe more! Mounted on the seat post it is very visible from 2-300 metres away at driver height and from every rear angle as well as casting a great puddle of redlight on the road and roadside. The flash (or the particular mode that comes set as 'standard' anyway) is a rapid 3 or 4 flash-then-pause sequence similar to a police or ambulance vehicle - very attention getting and not quite as annoying (IMHO) as a rapid, steady flash.

See: Red Zone 4

I haven't had the opportunity to examine a L&M 180 - they seem hard to find in Australia. While I don't doubt the L&M is a fine and worthy light, I would encourage prospective buyers of uber-bright rear lights to consider all contenders. The RZ4 has the advantages of fantastic quality, small(ish) size, superb materials and ruggedness, high battery capacity, twin super bright LEDS, wide visibility and great versatility as well as a very competitive price (as well as the WZ5 matching front light). And if you want more there's also the step up to the AftaBlaasta, DesignShine and Dinotte(s)...

Savvas

Edit: 11/10/2011 as per Cat-man-do's advice
    Last edited by savvas; 10-10-2011 at 02:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by savvas View Post
    Hi All,

I'll mention the Niteflux RedZone 4 again because I think it's mainly sold via mailorder and may be as well known as it deserves to be. The RZ4 has 2 XP-G leds with a full range of programming options. I haven't bothered to explore all of the options on mine but I believe that it can be programmed to be very group-ride friendly on low while also being downright nasty on the highest setting. It uses no secondary lense so doesn't have the very focused narrow beam of the pbsf. In fact its beam seems pretty much evenly distributed across 180 deg. or maybe more! Mounted on the seat post it is very visible from 2-300 metres away at driver height and from every rear angle as well as casting a great puddle of redlight on the road and roadside. The flash (or the particular mode that comes set as 'standard' anyway) is a rapid 3 or 4 flash-then-pause sequence similar to a police or ambulance vehicle - very attention getting and not quite as annoying (IMHO) as a rapid, steady flash.

See: Red Zone 4
    I'm very impressed with this RedZone 4. I will note though that there are no red XP-G's. Since the light is using two led's it could be using two XP-E's or XP-C's. That would give it the claimed 200 lumen output on max.

I like the RZ4 because it also has a full selection of intensity AND flash modes. It is also programmable, giving you the option to omit unwanted levels. Totally self-contained. I think the only thing I don't like is the Velcro seat post mount but I could likely work around that without too much problem.

I like the Vis 180 as well but regardless of what others say I like the bright strobe action of the PBSF's ( and the RZ4 with strobe option ). It is very attention getting. The very bright slow-pulsing light of the Vis 180 is not bad but if L&M had included a slow-flash function ( or slow strobe ) I would of probably bought one without hesitation. For the moment the RedZone4 is on my wish list.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    I'm very impressed with this RedZone 4. I will note though that there are no red XP-G's. Since the light is using two led's it could be using two XP-E's or XP-C's. That would give it the claimed 200 lumen output on max.
    Thanks and apologies for that! I believe that the correct information is cited at the Red Zone thread somewhere. When I first got my RZ4 I was momentarily confused by the lack of focused 'dazzle' that I'd become used to in my stand-back-and-stare approach to evaluating tail lights. I'd been impressed (like everyone) by the beams coming out of the pbsf and then a Tioga 'twin eye' which uses similar lenses. Based on these experiences the RZ4 seemed bright but ever so slightly 'tamer' than I had anticipated. Then I started to walk around it a bit, try it on an angle etc. I realised that not only was it still super bright but it remained very bright all the way out to 90 degrees (more or less).

My conclusion is that it's designed to work in the real 3-D world rather than just impress at the shop counter display. It costs a bit more than the pbsf of course but you do get high capacity rechargeable batteries built in, the programming mentioned and rugged, water proof build. I think the pbsf sets the bar for mid-range self contained lights. Like the much admired Dinottes (which I've never seen) I suspect the RZ4 may be a benchmark for the next step up in 'wireless' lights.
    Savvas.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugano View Post
    I use a Cateye and it's very nice and bright and has a lot of different patterns. But the other day I was riding with a buddy with a Serfas taillight that was incredibly bright and had a blink that could not possibly be missed by anyone who's not blind. It was literally almost too bright, if such a thing is possible.

I believe in being seen from a very long way off and having drivers avoid me at night. There is no way to avoid all risk, but cutting it down as far as possible is very nice.

That said, is there a consensus on what might be the 'Best' taillight? That Serfas was amazing. The Dinotte gets great reviews. I am not afraid of the cost but it must be recognized that it is not cheap, so for the money I want it to be 'better', whatever that means.

For the moment, I will continue to use my Cateyes, but I know that LED technology has improved and this one is a bit bulky, etc.

Suggestions? Discuss the best rear light you folks know of. Thanks!
    "Best" implies that money isn't an object. If so, without a doubt, in order are:

1. Dinotte 400R
    2. Dinotte 300R
    3. Dinotte 140R

If you want just Self contained, the the Dinotte 300R. It's not only self contained, it's also the second brightest taillight on the planet. Only the 400R is brighter.

I have used Dinotte taillights for years. I just got the 300R and moved the 400R to my son. These things are so bright, you get incredible respect from cars. They slow down and usually move to the opposite lane to pass. These things are so bright, you don't look like a bike anymore, you look like a big red bloom to the driver.

They are so bright, I even notice the 'slow down and move a lane over' behavior when I use them during daylight. I did that today - I ride in a rural area and the Sunday drivers were all over gawking at the fall color. This had a noticeable impact on driver behavior DURING THE DAY!

Incredible lights. Highly recommended. If you ride at night on the road, these ought to be standard equipment.

J.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    You are correct. Cost is no object.

The only thing is that different opinions are also good and I do ride with other riders and so need to be mindful of their needs. But the opinion on the 300R is quite welcome. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    "Best" implies that money isn't an object. If so, without a doubt, in order are:

1. Dinotte 400R
    2. Dinotte 300R
    3. Dinotte 140R

If you want just Self contained, the the Dinotte 300R. It's not only self contained, it's also the second brightest taillight on the planet. Only the 400R is brighter.

I have used Dinotte taillights for years. I just got the 300R and moved the 400R to my son. These things are so bright, you get incredible respect from cars. They slow down and usually move to the opposite lane to pass. These things are so bright, you don't look like a bike anymore, you look like a big red bloom to the driver.

They are so bright, I even notice the 'slow down and move a lane over' behavior when I use them during daylight. I did that today - I ride in a rural area and the Sunday drivers were all over gawking at the fall color. This had a noticeable impact on driver behavior DURING THE DAY!

Incredible lights. Highly recommended. If you ride at night on the road, these ought to be standard equipment.

J.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The Dinotte has two modes - a constant mode with High, Med and Lo. That works best in a group and it helps to tip it down a bit. The other mode is the blinker mode with 3 or 4 different blinker modes. These tend to be annoying to other riders. The thing is easy to turn on and off while riding. I do it all the time.

Here's the thing, if it isn't annoying to riders behind you, then it probably isn't bright enough to be worth anything. Generally what works the best is to have the back guy have the taillight on and those in the middle to not have it one on. Either that, or aim then down a bit to put a big red bloom on the ground.

I'm a huge fan of the the Dinotte tail lights. The completely changed the riding at night thing for me. They totally change the dynamic between cyclists at night and cars. I still chuckle every time a car goes by. It's really funny. You know how you hear a car coming from a long way back? well with this, when they get about 100' back, you can hear them slow down, get super cautious and then carefully go by you at slow speed in the opposing lane. It's super funny.

One time I had a total jerk come tearing up on me, then slow down go way around (I think he thought I was a cop or something). Then he stops up the road ahead of me and starts yelling at me about my super bright tail light and the fact that it's blinking. I just had to laugh, it's clear that he didn't know what I was, probably had a really bad problem with the police or something and that scared him (pays to have a clear conscience).

I've had my son ride my bike and I come up behind in the car - if you have any dirt at all on your windshield, it makes the cyclists disappear into a large red bloom. That means that the reflex of staying away from red flashing lights kick in. They don't even know you are a cyclist.

J.

turtles make me hot
    I was looking at some little red light called the Flea as a marker for my dog during night rides. My wife squashed the whole thing by not allowing the dog in the woods at night, but I remember the light being tiny and having like 5 different flash modes.
    Last edited by NYrr496; 10-10-2011 at 10:23 AM.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    The Dinotte has two modes - a constant mode with High, Med and Lo. That works best in a group and it helps to tip it down a bit. The other mode is the blinker mode with 3 or 4 different blinker modes. These tend to be annoying to other riders. The thing is easy to turn on and off while riding. I do it all the time.

Here's the thing, if it isn't annoying to riders behind you, then it probably isn't bright enough to be worth anything. Generally what works the best is to have the back guy have the taillight on and those in the middle to not have it one on. Either that, or aim then down a bit to put a big red bloom on the ground.

I'm a huge fan of the the Dinotte tail lights. The completely changed the riding at night thing for me. They totally change the dynamic between cyclists at night and cars. I still chuckle every time a car goes by. It's really funny. You know how you hear a car coming from a long way back? well with this, when they get about 100' back, you can hear them slow down, get super cautious and then carefully go by you at slow speed in the opposing lane. It's super funny.

One time I had a total jerk come tearing up on me, then slow down go way around (I think he thought I was a cop or something). Then he stops up the road ahead of me and starts yelling at me about my super bright tail light and the fact that it's blinking. I just had to laugh, it's clear that he didn't know what I was, probably had a really bad problem with the police or something and that scared him (pays to have a clear conscience).

I've had my son ride my bike and I come up behind in the car - if you have any dirt at all on your windshield, it makes the cyclists disappear into a large red bloom. That means that the reflex of staying away from red flashing lights kick in. They don't even know you are a cyclist.

J.
    Hey John, the subject was best "self contained" rear light. That being the case then the Dinotte 300R is probably the top of the list. Still this RZ4 is likely to run a close second and looks to be a little more versatile ( menu wise ) Not to mention, it is also $100 cheaper.

What you said about the bright rear lights being annoying on group rides is true. The RZ4 has a really low, low setting that should be good for group rides. I don't do night group rides but if I did I would buy a simple 1-2 led flasher and use that when people are behind me on group rides.

I could see the guy getting mad at you if you were at a traffic light and he was stuck behind you ( with the 400R on high ). That would be quite annoying. However if he was just passing you he had no real reason to complain. Time and time again I get behind those new cars with the bright Led rear lights. Getting stuck behind one of those in slow moving ( stop and go traffic ) can make you want to pull your hair out.

I did a road ride last night with my PBSF on the seat post. I too had a lot of cars give wide berth when approaching ( and I was on a busy road ). Regardless, there are still the jerks who feel it is their mission in life to pass you as close as possible.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    ...If you want just Self contained, the the Dinotte 300R. It's not only self contained, it's also the second brightest taillight on the planet. Only the 400R is brighter...J.
    Mmmm - big statement there. I've never seen or used a Dinotte of any persuasion unfortunately. They certainly look like great lights. And beyond a certain point I suspect that increasing 'power' encounters the laws of diminishing returns anyway.

Just to put a few numbers to this discussion I note (quoting manufacturer's posted info):

Self contained tail lights:
    Dinotte 300R - 300 lumens
    Niteflux Red Zone 4 - 200 lumen (5 levels down to 10 lumen)
    Exposure Flare - 75 lumens
    L&M Vis 180 - 35 lumens
    PBSF Turbo - 37 lumens

Battery/wired tail lights:
    DesignShine - 500 lumens (5 levels down to 70)
    Dinotte 400R - 240 lumens
    Hope District 3 - 84 lumens
    Exposure Red Eye - 80 lumens

Now I don't really know what all these numbers mean - if the 'lumen counts' were all done in the same way, if flash or steady was used etc etc. However, in terms of 'the brightest taillight on the planet' competition, there may be some argument with claims made for the 400Rs supremacy at least.

But I wonder if other factors should not be taken into account rather than simply assume that 'brightest' also equals 'best'? The RZ4 for instance is water proof, not restricted so much (by virtue of its case and mount design) to bike-use only and has at least 180 degrees visibility (the L&L seems to have this last feature as well). The Exposure Flare (in my experience, 'plenty bright') is also absolutely tiny which may be an important consideration for some. And of course there's the MagicShine tail light as well. Personally I think the MS is great but I have no idea what the manufacturer claims as its 'power' and I wonder how accurate any claims might be anyway.

Different manufacturers also obviously build for different markets and uses. I suspect that from a manufacturer's p.o.v, the world is not quite as 'globalised' as consumers presume it is. The RZ4 - for instance - would be (IMHO) ideal for an active person into multiple sporting activities requiring safety lights. It's also made in Australia and I suspect the manufacturer might be flat-out just meeting local demand. Dinotte and DS are probably in similar situations in their local markets and also may be pitched more to those cycling under particularly hazardous visibility conditions (early morning training, wet weather etc).

There are multiple features to be considered - not just level of light output - in considering which light is 'best'.

My 2 cents anyway...
    Savvas

Edit: 11/10/2011 as per Pethelman's advice post #32
    Last edited by savvas; 10-10-2011 at 02:49 PM.

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    Self contained tail lights:
    Dinotte 300R - 300 lumens
    Niteflux Red Zone 4 - 200 lumen (5 levels down to 10 lumen)
    Exposure Flare - 75 lumens
    L&M Vis 180 - 35 lumens
    PBSF Turbo - 37 lumens

Battery/wired tail lights:
    DesignShine - 500 lumens (5 levels down to 70)
    Dinotte 400R - 400 lumens
    Hope District 3 - 84 lumens
    Exposure Red Eye - 80 lumens
    As someone who has specified high power red LEDs before, I would caution you to take a lot of those numbers with a BIG grain of salt. The brightest conventional red LEDS (made by Osram, Cree, and Lumileds), all max out at around 80 lumens. Now once you take into account thermal losses (30%) and optical losses (15%) you can see that some of these claims are ridiculous. That puts a very high end and expensive LED at around 45 lumens.

Just take that into consideration when you are looking at some of these (outlandish) claims.

-Damon

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GMF View Post
    As someone who has specified high power red LEDs before, I would caution you to take a lot of those numbers with a BIG grain of salt. The brightest conventional red LEDS (made by Osram, Cree, and Lumileds), all max out at around 80 lumens. Now once you take into account thermal losses (30%) and optical losses (15%) you can see that some of these claims are ridiculous. That puts a very high end and expensive LED at around 45 lumens.

Just take that into consideration when you are looking at some of these (outlandish) claims.

-Damon
    Yep - fully agree. The numbers above were taken from manufacturer's website info with little if any further information being provided. Not only is power not everything (which was probably the main point I was making), but the numbers themselves need critical consideration. I believe that some of these lights will feature in the new mtbr lighting shootout using a single and consistent testing method (Lezyne's integrating sphere). It will be interesting to review the results!
    Savvas.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Dinotte screws up on the following points with the 300R:
    - no low level setting (heck, even the 140L's lowest setting is way too bright for city bike lanes and for riding in a group in the dark)
    - the mount is crap, why couldn't they use the simple rubber mount they had with the 140L/200L, in fact they could have put the LiIon cell inside the 140L body and remove the cable. Misssion accomplished.
    - also quite expensive, but that is debatable. But tell me, why is the XML-1 cheaper than the 300R?

So I second the original question: show me a tail light that is:
    - bright (140L brightness is OK)
    - can be dimmed (if I want to - down to regular blinker level)
    - self contained
    - mounts quickly and tool-free (and no consoles - I have a couple of bikes that I want to use the light with)
    - has LiIon built-in, no messing around with AAs
    - can be USB charged
    - can also be mounted on the helmet (tool free again), and on my clothes/bags
    - is as small as possible.
    +1: and weatherproof, of course.

And all this shouldn't (in fact: mustn't) cost more than the L&M Urban 300 that I just purchased for commuting. That is a 100 bucks, and it shares most of the traits listed above (and also has a reflector to tune the beam pattern - which is absolutely not necessary for a rear light).

I just can't understand what's so difficult in the list above that cannot be done by any manufacturer - or maybe I just missed it?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by radirpok View Post
    ...So I second the original question: show me a tail light that is:
    - bright (140L brightness is OK)
    - can be dimmed (if I want to - down to regular blinker level)
    - self contained
    - mounts quickly and tool-free (and no consoles - I have a couple of bikes that I want to use the light with)
    - has LiIon built-in, no messing around with AAs
    - can be USB charged
    - can also be mounted on the helmet (tool free again), and on my clothes/bags
    - is as small as possible.
    +1: and weatherproof, of course.

And all this shouldn't (in fact: mustn't) cost more than the L&M Urban 300 that I just purchased for commuting. That is a 100 bucks, and it shares most of the traits listed above (and also has a reflector to tune the beam pattern - which is absolutely not necessary for a rear light). I just can't understand what's so difficult in the list above that cannot be done by any manufacturer - or maybe I just missed it?
    Well there's at least one contender...

http://www.niteflux.com/Products_RedZone4.aspx

Red Zone 4

* Daylight visible; for young and old, day or night.
    * Perfect for mounting up high on helmet, bags and clothing. Remains seen as you twist and move.
    * Universal strap for mounting to seatpost of any size or shape
    * Neat and simple to use, with no cables or external batteries
    * A range of power settings and flash modes for night and day, solo and group riding
    * Constant brightness for the entire battery charge
    * Integrated Li-Ion battery recharges from any USB port or MP3 player charger
    * Rugged construction, with extended warranty options up to 3 years

Flash: 4 Watt, 2.4 Watt, 1.2 Watt, 0.6 Watt, 0.15 Watt
    Solid: 1.2 Watt, 0.6 Watt, 0.3 Watt,
    Charge Time: 6 hours from USB

Cost: Au$99.99.

Savvas

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Well there's at least one contender...

Red Zone 4

Red Zone 4

* Daylight visible; for young and old, day or night.
    * Perfect for mounting up high on helmet, bags and clothing. Remains seen as you twist and move.
    * Universal strap for mounting to seatpost of any size or shape
    * Neat and simple to use, with no cables or external batteries
    * A range of power settings and flash modes for night and day, solo and group riding
    * Constant brightness for the entire battery charge
    * Integrated Li-Ion battery recharges from any USB port or MP3 player charger
    * Rugged construction, with extended warranty options up to 3 years

Flash: 4 Watt, 2.4 Watt, 1.2 Watt, 0.6 Watt, 0.15 Watt
    Solid: 1.2 Watt, 0.6 Watt, 0.3 Watt,
    Charge Time: 6 hours from USB

Cost: Au$99.99.

Savvas
    Wow. Thanks for the link. I didn't know about the existence of this product.

Only question is: how do I get one from Europe? Do they ship to the other side of the world?....

...and the answer is: FREE shipping. Wow again. Now only the import duty charges remain. I have no more excuses ;-)

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast