Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mechBgon View Post
    ....Hey CMD, can you post beamshots of the Moon Shield and Hotshot? I'm curious to see the relative spread of the beams, since that's one of the Hotshot's shortcomings (needs precise aiming).
    I'll see what I can do tomorrow. Camera batteries are freshly charged. I might take a couple photos using my hallway which can help illustrate the difference in beam width.
    Then, weather permitting, an outside shot at distance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Catman, I think we might have a rare case here of a light manufacturer (a Chinese one at that!) actually under quoting/estimating the lumen output of their product.
    My second brightest tail lights are my Exposure Flares' (for those who don't know, are a great little tail light from England rated at 75 lumens) and with fresh high quality disposable CR-123 batteries, they can't even touch the output of the Shield which is rated at 60 lumens and costs about half the price.
    Maybe someone let on to the Chinese that a little integrity in the marketplace can go a long way.

mtbr member
    Okay, nice to see the website is back on-line.

Luckily I was able to get some outside shots just before it started to rain. During the photos session I took note of some things so I'll add a bit to what I said earlier after you look at the photos.

First, you can view the shoot out on my Photobucket account by clicking here.

The set-up was as follows: The lamps are about as high as a typical road bike seat post and are on steady mode at their maximum output. The camera was mounted on my car roof so about as high as your typical VW Passat. My camera is a simply but reliable Sony Cypershot 2.1 with only one night setting. The distance photos were taken about 200 ft. away and are viewed directly head-on. In real world application you would not get this angle most of the time so this angle favors the Cygolite HotShot. Not surprising, the HotShot and Moon Shield appear about the same intensity. I may have underestimated the Hotshot. At distance it does very well. As you can see from the photos the PBSF although not bad is not in the same league.

Next comes the Off-set photos. Here I placed the lamps at about 60 ft. out and about 10 ft. off to the side to simulate someone riding on the side of the road. The photos speak for themselves. Here the Moon Shield is the obvious winner. The closer you get the more it excels.

While doing the tests I noticed that the flash modes on the HotShot do vary in intensity on certain modes. I noticed that because behind where my car was parked there was a small sign a good 75 ft. away that was reflecting the flashing. The third mode from steady seemed to be a bit more intense than the other flashing modes. FWIW, the HotShot is a nice little light. I still favor the Shield but I will use both and be very happy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Mate, those photos are great, thanks for posting them.
    You can definately see the Hot Shot is just that little bit brighter than the Moon Shield when viewed from directly behind, plus you've done a good job showing how well the Shield does when viewed off angle.
    But what is really obvious is what a huge leap in performance both have made over what was one of the brightest, most highly rated self contained tail lights made in recent years - the PBSF 0.5 watt.
    Even if you had of the 1 watt Superflash Turbo in this comparison, I believe it too would have been left for dead!
    These two lights are in my view closing the gap between the Dinotte range of tail lights and the cheap "blinkies". And if you use 2 or more ( I use 3 ) you'll have a set up that is nearly as bright and have spent less money.

Cheers,

Digger.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    By the way Catman, how are you going to mount your two new lights?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldAusDigger View Post
    By the way Catman, how are you going to mount your two new lights?
    Right now on my road set-up I have the Shield on back of the seat bag that carries my road kit. The HotShot I clip to the back of my helmet.

Today I did a road ride just before dusk. I set the Shield to it's 2nd lowest non-flash setting and set the HotShot to "Bright to fade to Bright" with the timing adjusted to be about one flash per sec. Having these lights really does inspire confidence.

Towards the end of the ride when I was only about three miles from my home I stopped to activate the Rimfires. These things really do draw attention. The funny thing was shortly after as I was going down a rather nice hill I got a car behind me just as I was approaching a stop sign. Well...you know how it is. If there's no traffic around I basically blow through especially if I'm making a right turn ( which I was ). So because the car was behind me I decide to signal right turn and come to a standing ( track stand ) dead stop. Then I make my turn and start up a slow hill. Moments later the car passes me. it turns out to be a Police car. John Law sighting # two with my Rimfires going. At the top of the hill an SUV exits a complex and starts passing me. Apparently all young people. One guy winds his window down and as they're passing yells out, "Dude, your bike is so cool". I think it's fair to say at this stage of the game that I'm starting to get noticed.

mtbr member
    Awesome pics cat-man-do. That moonshield really seems like a better beam over the hotshot even though the hotshot is more intense straight on, there is a huge advantage to the moonshield once you go off center. I might pick up a moonshield later on. Still My poor superflash lights will be seriously outgunned once I receive the hotshot that I ordered. Thank you cat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks for the photos! Daytime photos would also be interesting. I use my lights to get noticed from longer range on the highway in the daytime, as well as in arterial traffic in the city. Trying to cross an off-ramp on a high-speed highway when half the traffic wants to use the off-ramp... >1km of advance warning really helps there, IMO.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mechBgon View Post
    Thanks for the photos! Daytime photos would also be interesting. I use my lights to get noticed from longer range on the highway in the daytime, as well as in arterial traffic in the city. Trying to cross an off-ramp on a high-speed highway when half the traffic wants to use the off-ramp... >1km of advance warning really helps there, IMO.
    I'm off tomorrow so I'll see what I can do about daytime shots. No promises though, it might rain tomorrow. Not sure how much more safe you are going to be running one of these in full sunlight. Cloudy or low light conditions though should make a good difference.

When I left my house today the sun was near setting. When I got to a particular busy road I decided it was time for the rear light although it was still day light and not quite dusk. I set the Shield to it's one good flashing mode and the HotShot to Flash to fade. I know it's hard to judge these things but I swear it felt like traffic passing me from behind was giving me more room.

Looking ahead, for those people still waiting for something else to arrive on the scene there are other options ( mentioned earlier ). I have a feeling that the Planet Bike people will not be sitting idly on their hands watching their consumer base evaporate. They made a boat-load of money on the SF products so my bet is that they will quickly up the ante. If they ( or someone else ) comes along and develops a small self-contained rear light that ONE: Has the same ( or better ) output as the Shield...TWO: mimics the same beam pattern as the Shield and THREE: Has the same adjustable flash patterns as the Hotshot, THEY will have one GREAT product there. X2 if it has even more output than the Shield. . . . . . Make it and they shall buy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Looking ahead, for those people still waiting for something else to arrive on the scene there are other options ( mentioned earlier ). I have a feeling that the Planet Bike people will not be sitting idly on their hands watching their consumer base evaporate. They made a boat-load of money on the SF products so my bet is that they will quickly up the ante. If they ( or someone else ) comes along and develops a small self-contained rear light that ONE: Has the same ( or better ) output as the Shield...TWO: mimics the same beam pattern as the Shield and THREE: Has the same adjustable flash patterns as the Hotshot, THEY will have one GREAT product there. X2 if it has even more output than the Shield. . . . . . Make it and they shall buy.
    Pethelman, if you are reading this, a self-contained DS-500 would be a very nice addition to your line up.
    Any thoughts on this?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    First Post Yaaa!
    Hey Cat-Man-Do been lookin for a Moon Shield in States with no results!!
    Is this the same thing on E-Bay? Serfas USL-TL60 USB Rechargable Tail Light??
    Looks the same!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonecracker View Post
    First Post Yaaa!
    Hey Cat-Man-Do been lookin for a Moon Shield in States with no results!!
    Is this the same thing on E-Bay? Serfas USL-TL60 USB Rechargable Tail Light??
    Looks the same!!
    The only thing I can say is that I bought mine on Ebay from a U.K. vendor. I had the light in about 5 working days.

I took a quick look at the Serfas USL-TL60. I have to agree, it looks just like the Moon Shield. The TL60 only has 4 modes though but is listed at 60 lumens ( just like the Shield ). Dang it. Why couldn't you have posted this yesterday. I have to get to work, no time to research it.

edit: I quickly checked You tube but sadly the one video that was reviewing it cut out before the guy could go through the modes. I would just like to know what the two flash modes are like on the TL60, I do know that one of the modes is like the Shield. Now if the other flash mode is the same only with less output that would be nice.

Now the $50 question: Is the Serfas USL-TL60 using the same optic as the Moon Shield and is it as bright. If I can find a TL60 locally I will try to do a comparison.
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 04-05-2012 at 03:31 PM.

mtbr member

Now the $50 question: Is the Serfas USL-TL60 using the same optic as the Moon Shield and is it as bright. If I can find a TL60 locally I will try to do a comparison.
    I love a good mystery. I might check my LBS and see if they have the serfas model. They usually carry a lot of serfas stuff.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm almost 100% sure that all of Moons bike lights can be found being marketed under the Serfas brand. It just depends what country you're in I think.
    Apart from labling they're exactly the same.

Serfas USL-TL60 Rechargeable USB 60 Lumen Bike Tail Light

All of the lights in the link are the same as Moon. That TSL-500 for eg, is the same as the Moon X-Power 500 lumen you can find in the mtbr lights shootout.

mtbr member
    I'm almost 100% sure that all of Moons bike lights can be found being marketed under the Serfas brand. It just depends what country you're in I think.
    Apart from labling they're exactly the same.

Serfas USL-TL60 Rechargeable USB 60 Lumen Bike Tail Light

All of the lights in the link are the same as Moon. That TSL-500 for eg, is the same as the Moon X-Power 500 lumen you can find in the mtbr lights shootout.
    Now you tell me.

Yep, looks like there's a Serfas 1500 too ( vs. the Moon 1500 ) There are small differences though. For one, I like the look of the Moon 1500 over the Serfas counter part. Not to mention I could get the Moon for less. The Serfas TL60 is 4 mode vs. the Shield 5 mode ( although one of the modes on the Shield I consider useless ).
    New movie title needed here. How 'bout "Return of the Clones" or perhaps "Clone of a Clone"...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Guy's I tried to post the link from E-bay and MTR Forum would not let me since I am a rookie! Still leaning toward the Dinotte 300R for my road bike as I prefer the shock effect on traffic going over 40 mph!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonecracker View Post
    Guy's I tried to post the link from E-bay and MTR Forum would not let me since I am a rookie! Still leaning toward the Dinotte 300R for my road bike as I prefer the shock effect on traffic going over 40 mph!
    Hey, whatever works for you.

Perhaps in the future bikes and motorcycles will have built-in transponders and cars and trucks will have ( manufacturers installed ) proximity detectors. When a car/truck gets within 200 ft. of a bike/M.C. the alarm will give the driver a "heads up" warning. I can just hear the voice warning now....e.g. the classic GPS women's voice...."You have a bicycle ahead on your right". Now wouldn't that just be the sweetest thing?

Got a suspension fork
    Hey, whatever works for you.

Perhaps in the future bikes and motorcycles will have built-in transponders and cars and trucks will have ( manufacturers installed ) proximity detectors. When a car/truck gets within 200 ft. of a bike/M.C. the alarm will give the driver a "heads up" warning. I can just hear the voice warning now....e.g. the classic GPS women's voice...."You have a bicycle ahead on your right". Now wouldn't that just be the sweetest thing?
    The Motorcycles in the Dakar race have this sort of system, it beeps loudly to warm them when one of the cars in the race is approaching them.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Tonight I did a MTB ride with the Moon Shield mounted on the seat post ( for the short road ride to the trail head ) ( Cygolite HotShot on back of the helmet ). I couldn't help but notice how slow people were passing me on an otherwise briskly moving road. On the return trip back to the car I also couldn't help but notice the gigantic red plume that the Shield was laying down on the road behind me. Not to mention I was only using the middle steady setting.
    I have to say, having a good rear light DOES inspire confidence when you can see the improved response by the motorists.

I'm toying with idea of returning the Cygolite HotShot and trying out a Serfas USL-TL60.
    Decisions, decisions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I wish I knew how to post photos. I'd love to show you how well 3 Shields work when you get them all working together. Then maybe I'd have a chance to convince you to keep the Cygolite for helmet duties, and when you buy your Serfas "Shield clone" find a way to mount it next to your existing one.
    To my eye the the visual effect of this is more than just cumulative. It's doesn't really make sense I know, but it seems to have an exponential effect.
    With my set up it's sort of like 1+1+1 = 10 when it should only = 3!
    Possibly in hindsight I would've been better off waiting until I'd saved a bit more money & bought a DesignShine or a Dinotte. But even taking into account the American products quality, there is possibly some benefit or advantage in having approx 180 lumens coming out of 3 small independant lights which looks like one big single light source. If one fails you've still got the other two.
    Anyway Cat, if by some chance you do end up with a second Sheild, see if you can get some photos with all three right next to each other and see what you and others think.

Digger.

mtbr member
    I received my cygolite hotshot today. I just tested it in the house against a pb superflash and the hotshot definitely kills the superflash in output, but it really is lacking in side visibility just like the superflash. I think the moonshield/serfas tl60 light is going to be hard to beat overall in this price range. I really like the usb charging and the hotshot seems made well, although the switches can be a little tough to operate. Overall it is a big upgrade from the superflash.

I found this comparison in case it hasn't been posted yet.
    Light Comparison Test | See side by side test of the most popular lights of 2012 | The Bicycle Repair Shop

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusHQ View Post
    I received my cygolite hotshot today. I just tested it in the house against a pb superflash and the hotshot definitely kills the superflash in output, but it really is lacking in side visibility just like the superflash. I think the moonshield/serfas tl60 light is going to be hard to beat overall in this price range. I really like the usb charging and the hotshot seems made well, although the switches can be a little tough to operate. Overall it is a big upgrade from the superflash.

I found this comparison in case it hasn't been posted yet.
    Light Comparison Test | See side by side test of the most popular lights of 2012 | The Bicycle Repair Shop
    No, the Hotshot doesn't have the side visibility of the Shield but still it ain't bad. Just the other night I think I had a Hotshot sighting. I was sitting at a light in my work car when a guy riding a bike crosses in front of me from the left. The guy had no front light so I didn't see him until he passed in front of my headlights. As he passes I notice that he has a rather bright rear light. That's when I noticed the slow "High to fade" setting that is tell-tale of the Hotshot. Even though the angle was bad it still looked very bright at about 200ft. plus. Then again I suppose it's possible that another brand might use the same flash pattern. Who's to say.

More than likely I will return the Hotshot as soon as I find time to pick-up a Serfas TL60.
    The LBS sells Serfas products so hopefully they will have one.

On a side note I've been experimenting with a metal clip on back of my helmet to help in the aiming of whatever rear light I want to use. I haven't worked all the kinks out of it yet but when adjusted correctly the rear light will point downward when my head is tilted down in normal riding position. Currently the mounting position on the back of my helmet makes the light point more upward. Because of that at least half of the output is lost. The helmet clip will bring a big improvement in visibility once I get it adjusted right.

mtbr member
    Pethelman, if you are reading this, a self-contained DS-500 would be a very nice addition to your line up.
    Any thoughts on this?
    Hey OldAusDigger!

Would be nice indeed, but given that it's really the full 10 Watts of red fury coming out of this thing that sets it apart from anything else in the daytime, it would dispense with a small battery pretty quickly. It's a small miracle that I'm able to build these things at all, given that I do it "on-the-side," so I don't envision doing any more new designs for quite some time. I think for those looking for decent self-contained taillight for low-light and night time conditions, there are ample choices... the DS-500 is really for those looking for that all-day protection on a century ride, or the commuter who needs some serious ammo during the week throughout all different times of day without frequent recharges.

night riding enthusiast
    Pethelman,

Do you still have any DS-500s left in stock?

(as an aside do u still have any DS-1300s?)
    Click the thumbs up button if you have a thumb...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GraXXoR View Post
    Pethelman,

Do you still have any DS-500s left in stock?

(as an aside do u still have any DS-1300s?)
    DS-500... build #2 completely out. Reserve list is already getting pretty long for build #3 (which is still a bit up in the air until machine shop repairs are complete).

DS-1300... still have just a couple from build #2. The number of additional 1300s coming out of build #3 is somewhat dependent on what kind of early reserves I get on the taillight. I only have enough components to build 50 more lights in build #3, but the ratio of head/tail is somewhat flexible, until metal starts being cut.

Thx

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast