Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Best Self-contained Tail Light

56K views 201 replies 51 participants last post by  Cat-man-do 
#1 ·
I use a Cateye and it's very nice and bright and has a lot of different patterns. But the other day I was riding with a buddy with a Serfas taillight that was incredibly bright and had a blink that could not possibly be missed by anyone who's not blind. It was literally almost too bright, if such a thing is possible.

I believe in being seen from a very long way off and having drivers avoid me at night. There is no way to avoid all risk, but cutting it down as far as possible is very nice.

That said, is there a consensus on what might be the 'Best' taillight? That Serfas was amazing. The Dinotte gets great reviews. I am not afraid of the cost but it must be recognized that it is not cheap, so for the money I want it to be 'better', whatever that means.

For the moment, I will continue to use my Cateyes, but I know that LED technology has improved and this one is a bit bulky, etc.

Suggestions? Discuss the best rear light you folks know of. Thanks!

#107 ·
Awesome pics cat-man-do. That moonshield really seems like a better beam over the hotshot even though the hotshot is more intense straight on, there is a huge advantage to the moonshield once you go off center. I might pick up a moonshield later on. Still My poor superflash lights will be seriously outgunned once I receive the hotshot that I ordered. Thank you cat.

#108 ·
Thanks for the photos! Daytime photos would also be interesting. I use my lights to get noticed from longer range on the highway in the daytime, as well as in arterial traffic in the city. Trying to cross an off-ramp on a high-speed highway when half the traffic wants to use the off-ramp... >1km of advance warning really helps there, IMO.

#109 ·
I'm off tomorrow so I'll see what I can do about daytime shots. No promises though, it might rain tomorrow. Not sure how much more safe you are going to be running one of these in full sunlight. Cloudy or low light conditions though should make a good difference.

When I left my house today the sun was near setting. When I got to a particular busy road I decided it was time for the rear light although it was still day light and not quite dusk. I set the Shield to it's one good flashing mode and the HotShot to Flash to fade. I know it's hard to judge these things but I swear it felt like traffic passing me from behind was giving me more room.

Looking ahead, for those people still waiting for something else to arrive on the scene there are other options ( mentioned earlier ). I have a feeling that the Planet Bike people will not be sitting idly on their hands watching their consumer base evaporate. They made a boat-load of money on the SF products so my bet is that they will quickly up the ante. If they ( or someone else ) comes along and develops a small self-contained rear light that ONE: Has the same ( or better ) output as the Shield...TWO: mimics the same beam pattern as the Shield and THREE: Has the same adjustable flash patterns as the Hotshot, THEY will have one GREAT product there. X2 if it has even more output than the Shield. . . . . . Make it and they shall buy. ;)

#112 · (Edited)
The only thing I can say is that I bought mine on Ebay from a U.K. vendor. I had the light in about 5 working days.

I took a quick look at the Serfas USL-TL60. I have to agree, it looks just like the Moon Shield. The TL60 only has 4 modes though but is listed at 60 lumens ( just like the Shield ). Dang it. Why couldn't you have posted this yesterday. I have to get to work, no time to research it.

edit: I quickly checked You tube but sadly the one video that was reviewing it cut out before the guy could go through the modes. :mad: I would just like to know what the two flash modes are like on the TL60, I do know that one of the modes is like the Shield. Now if the other flash mode is the same only with less output that would be nice.

Now the $50 question: Is the Serfas USL-TL60 using the same optic as the Moon Shield and is it as bright. If I can find a TL60 locally I will try to do a comparison.

#114 ·
I'm almost 100% sure that all of Moons bike lights can be found being marketed under the Serfas brand. It just depends what country you're in I think.
Apart from labling they're exactly the same.

Serfas USL-TL60 Rechargeable USB 60 Lumen Bike Tail Light

All of the lights in the link are the same as Moon. That TSL-500 for eg, is the same as the Moon X-Power 500 lumen you can find in the mtbr lights shootout.

#115 ·
Now you tell me. ;)

Yep, looks like there's a Serfas 1500 too ( vs. the Moon 1500 ) There are small differences though. For one, I like the look of the Moon 1500 over the Serfas counter part. Not to mention I could get the Moon for less. The Serfas TL60 is 4 mode vs. the Shield 5 mode ( although one of the modes on the Shield I consider useless ).
New movie title needed here. How 'bout "Return of the Clones" or perhaps "Clone of a Clone"...:crazy:

#117 ·
Hey, whatever works for you. :)

Perhaps in the future bikes and motorcycles will have built-in transponders and cars and trucks will have ( manufacturers installed ) proximity detectors. When a car/truck gets within 200 ft. of a bike/M.C. the alarm will give the driver a "heads up" warning. I can just hear the voice warning now....e.g. the classic GPS women's voice...."You have a bicycle ahead on your right". Now wouldn't that just be the sweetest thing? :D

#119 ·
Tonight I did a MTB ride with the Moon Shield mounted on the seat post ( for the short road ride to the trail head ) ( Cygolite HotShot on back of the helmet ). I couldn't help but notice how slow people were passing me on an otherwise briskly moving road. On the return trip back to the car I also couldn't help but notice the gigantic red plume that the Shield was laying down on the road behind me. Not to mention I was only using the middle steady setting.
I have to say, having a good rear light DOES inspire confidence when you can see the improved response by the motorists.

I'm toying with idea of returning the Cygolite HotShot and trying out a Serfas USL-TL60.
Decisions, decisions.

#193 ·
Tonight I did a MTB ride with the Moon Shield mounted on the seat post ( for the short road ride to the trail head ) ( Cygolite HotShot on back of the helmet ). I couldn't help but notice how slow people were passing me on an otherwise briskly moving road. On the return trip back to the car I also couldn't help but notice the gigantic red plume that the Shield was laying down on the road behind me. Not to mention I was only using the middle steady setting.
I have to say, having a good rear light DOES inspire confidence when you can see the improved response by the motorists.

I'm toying with idea of returning the Cygolite HotShot and trying out a Serfas USL-TL60.
Decisions, decisions.
I know this is old. Yesterday I finally bought the Serfas USL-TL80 . 80 lumen .I have owned some lights in my more than 15 years commuting in the Number 1 state for cyclists death, Florida. The best I had was the PBSF . I Then bought 2 Dinotte 140R and was very happy. Until the unthinkable.My bike was stolen in my own carport! I lost it all. Started fresh and bought a new bike and a PBSF until I could save For Dinotte rear lights again. Then I came across Pethelman and went to his site and bada bing I went on the waiting list. So Yes I am extremely happy wiht the DS-500 and the DS1200 headlight. Two years now and still strong. No one has a video on Youtube for the 80 lumen only the 60. The box says it has 3 steady mods

#120 ·
I wish I knew how to post photos. I'd love to show you how well 3 Shields work when you get them all working together. Then maybe I'd have a chance to convince you to keep the Cygolite for helmet duties, and when you buy your Serfas "Shield clone" find a way to mount it next to your existing one.
To my eye the the visual effect of this is more than just cumulative. It's doesn't really make sense I know, but it seems to have an exponential effect.
With my set up it's sort of like 1+1+1 = 10 when it should only = 3!
Possibly in hindsight I would've been better off waiting until I'd saved a bit more money & bought a DesignShine or a Dinotte. But even taking into account the American products quality, there is possibly some benefit or advantage in having approx 180 lumens coming out of 3 small independant lights which looks like one big single light source. If one fails you've still got the other two.
Anyway Cat, if by some chance you do end up with a second Sheild, see if you can get some photos with all three right next to each other and see what you and others think.

Digger.

#121 ·
I received my cygolite hotshot today. I just tested it in the house against a pb superflash and the hotshot definitely kills the superflash in output, but it really is lacking in side visibility just like the superflash. I think the moonshield/serfas tl60 light is going to be hard to beat overall in this price range. I really like the usb charging and the hotshot seems made well, although the switches can be a little tough to operate. Overall it is a big upgrade from the superflash.

I found this comparison in case it hasn't been posted yet.
Light Comparison Test | See side by side test of the most popular lights of 2012 | The Bicycle Repair Shop

#122 ·
No, the Hotshot doesn't have the side visibility of the Shield but still it ain't bad. Just the other night I think I had a Hotshot sighting. I was sitting at a light in my work car when a guy riding a bike crosses in front of me from the left. The guy had no front light so I didn't see him until he passed in front of my headlights. As he passes I notice that he has a rather bright rear light. That's when I noticed the slow "High to fade" setting that is tell-tale of the Hotshot. Even though the angle was bad it still looked very bright at about 200ft. plus. Then again I suppose it's possible that another brand might use the same flash pattern. Who's to say.

More than likely I will return the Hotshot as soon as I find time to pick-up a Serfas TL60.
The LBS sells Serfas products so hopefully they will have one.

On a side note I've been experimenting with a metal clip on back of my helmet to help in the aiming of whatever rear light I want to use. I haven't worked all the kinks out of it yet but when adjusted correctly the rear light will point downward when my head is tilted down in normal riding position. Currently the mounting position on the back of my helmet makes the light point more upward. Because of that at least half of the output is lost. The helmet clip will bring a big improvement in visibility once I get it adjusted right.

#125 ·
DS-500... build #2 completely out. Reserve list is already getting pretty long for build #3 (which is still a bit up in the air until machine shop repairs are complete).

DS-1300... still have just a couple from build #2. The number of additional 1300s coming out of build #3 is somewhat dependent on what kind of early reserves I get on the taillight. I only have enough components to build 50 more lights in build #3, but the ratio of head/tail is somewhat flexible, until metal starts being cut.

Thx

#126 ·
got a red zone 4 from niteflux in the mail yesterday after seeing it posted earlier in this thread...wow, amazing light
about as robust as youll find, programmable (so many options!), bright as hell, and great range of
visibility...dont think there is a better taillight out there after my searching concluded

anyone runnning the white zone 5 too? is it more practical as a be seen light since there isnt a focused beam? or is it decent for lighting the ground as well (commuter wise, not offroad)?

#127 ·
Glad to see this thread is still alive and well! I haven't yet bought one (my current ones are pretty good and my night rides have been extremely limited this year, unfortunately) but the one that catches my eye is the Light and Motion one. I like the side lights and I like that fact that it pulses instead of flashing. Seems highly visible without being annoying and even potentially hazardous. I expect I will get one of these. I did get the Vis 500 for a portable, compact headlamp, it's an excellent supplement to my helmet light.

#128 ·
Light and Motion..... I like the side lights and I like that fact that it pulses instead of flashing. Seems highly visible without being annoying and even potentially hazardous. I expect I will get one of these. I did get the Vis 500 for a portable, compact headlamp, it's an excellent supplement to my helmet light.
So far this year I've come across many cyclist using the newer rear lights. I love the brighter light! These new rear lights are much better than the previous offerings and are great for rider safety. I've yet to see one ( on the road ) that I would consider hazardous or annoying ( to passing cars ).

#129 ·
I am really loving the cygolite hotshot more and more. Cars are definitely giving me more room as the pass. As already stated, you need to get it set level though to get the best effect. I used it on steady at night mounted below my seat with the 1/2 watt superflash in flash mode on my pack. Best 30 bucks ive spent in a while.

#131 ·
After using the 300R, the 140R, the Nova BULL emergency-vehicle strobe and the Hotshot, I can state there is no lack of respect with a properly-aimed Hotshot. It has noticably higher centerline intensity than the 300R or even the 400R, as you'll see if you aim them both at a wall... you can see the Hotshot's beam core quite easily superimposed over the 300R's floodlight-style beam. Aim that where it counts, and now you're cookin' with gas... and for about 90% less money and about 1/3 the weight :thumbsup:

In practice, when I'm riding on the divided highway, a large proportion of the 60mph overtaking traffic will divert to the left lane at considerable range, even when I'm at the edge of a 10-foot-wide shoulder. Day or night. The Hotshot is a great value.

#134 ·
Actually, I don't care what everyone else buys - I know what I need and want to be safe. That means a lot of lumens put out on a wide path and flashing. The Dinotte has a nice diffuser to make it work just fine and to create a nice large and intense bloom of red light. The only person who has complained was a drunk but that is after he pulled over because he didn't know what I was - only that he knew he didn't want to be near it.

So far, I haven't seen any of the other self contained blinky lights that do it - and that includes the "bright" ones like the vis180. 200 lumens is probably on the low end of workable, IMO.

J.

#135 ·
I agree with John here.

I have amassed 1/2 dozen or so different so called "higher end budget" blinkies. When being a sole rider on a lonley unlit road, even the faintest rear blinkie will get you noticed. Its not the case when dealing with busy roads however, city or surburban.

Do like my Dinotte 400L? Definitely.

Is it inconvenient being a non self contained unit? Yes

Is the trade off worth it? My life and limbs are.

Now folks that claim the 300L light output is not noticeably different than the 400L? I call BS. I have pretty bad eye sight and I can eyeball the difference.

Anyway I have a Hotshot along the way merely based the positive feedback about it here. I'll do my own comparison test.

#136 ·
I have both the 400 and the 300R. I'd say that to the eye, it's about a 10% difference - which is not insignificant. Riding in an urban setting, I'd pick the 400R. Rural, 300R.

I will say this though, the driver behavior between the 300R and the 400R is identical. Dropping lower to the 140R (which I also have), there is a difference in driver behavior - less respectful of cyclists and more intrusive of the cyclist's "space". I think there is sort of a nonlinear driver response to tail light lumens - once you get over about 200 lumens, the behavior starts to change dramatically in favor of the cyclist.

The 140R is way better than any of the blinkies - even the ones like the vis180 from L&M but the response to lumens up to my 140R seems to be pretty linear.

Blinkies? No respect at all from drivers. They know you're there but they give you little room you wouldn't get during the day. And at night, you need more room for unseen hazards etc... With the 140R they give me some additional space. WIth the 300 and 400R they go way around, often going into the opposite lane (if no traffic) and slowing way down in all cases. The 300-400 lumen lights generate a LOT of cyclist respect simply because they are so bright that the cyclist is all but lost in a bright red bloom. Drivers are trained to give large red blooms a lot of margin and to slow down.

J.

#138 ·
The 300-400 lumen lights generate a LOT of cyclist respect simply because they are so bright that the cyclist is all but lost in a bright red bloom.

Drivers are trained to give large red blooms a lot of margin and to slow down.

J.
Excellent points, especially the latter. This is why I continue to use my 400R exclusively, and will eventually acquire a 300R as well. Dinotte's quality is an important factor, and I like the simplicity of sticking with a reliable brand.

#137 ·
On my last 2 hour night right about half of it was on the road and half on the bike path. I encountered less than a dozen vehicles on the road which is about the norm for my rides. I don't have much background lighting to compete with at all so for me the Hotshot paired with a Superflash will get the job done well. I never have seen another bicyclist using more than a 1/2 watt superflash around here and most of them use nothing. As far as I have seen, I am running the brightest tail light combo around here by a long shot and I usually have 3,000 lumens of front lighting with me, even if I don't use it, so I think I am good there. A couple cyclists that I have come across on a regular basis seem to be running a single Superflash in back and maybe 100 lumens out front and I still notice them right away on the street. If I lived or rode in a different area where I had a whole lot more light sources to compete with then I would happily pony up the money for a big boy light such as the Dinotte 300r or equivalent. But for now, I am good in the lighting category.

#142 ·
I tried to follow all the links from this thread and re-read posts but still have a question about what mounts come with the Moon Shield 60/Serfas version and Cygolite HotShot. Do both only come with a seat post mount? Will either work on a smaller diameter seat stay tube if I want to mount the light lower than seat height? Thanks.

#143 ·
Hot shot has a standard seat post mount that is adjustable ( looks a lot like the PBSF mount ) The Moon shield mount uses a adjustable rubber mount. Not as aim-able ( not as many increments to the adjustment ) as standard mounting but it works and is easier to put on or take off.

#149 ·
For now, I can remark that when I was out on the highways last night with the RZ4 and the Hotshot, it was the Hotshot's flash pattern that I saw coming back to me in my helmet mirror from reflective road signs at long range. The RZ4 does produce a lot of "ground effect" lighting right behind the bike, particularly since I clipped it to the rear of my trunk bag where it's at the rear of the bike. Rifle versus shotgun (or perhaps rifle versus hand grenade!).

I'll probably be going out again tonight, maybe I'll haul the camera along and shoot some video. An interesting possible use for the RZ4, would be to clip it to my jersey pocket UNDERNEATH my neon-lime jacket, resulting in an illuminated jacket. That would be trippy :D

#150 ·
Tonight while finishing up a ride at one of the local parks I stopped on one of the pitch-black park roads to check the plume output on the Moon Shield. With no cars in sight I turned the Shield on and went through the three steady modes. ( seat post mounted ) On high the ground plume stretches for almost *30-35ft with what looks to be close to a 60° angle of projection.. ( *or ~ 10.6M ) The lower modes aren't bad either. For a small self-contained tail light, VERY IMPRESSIVE. :)

#151 ·
Mechbgon, if you do the light under the jacket please post a picture of it. :-D. I would have picked up a moonshield/serfas light if they were in the same price range as the hotshot, but where I have checked they are almost double the price so I will hold off for now after just purchasing the hotshot. Down the road I wouldn't mind having a wider beam tail light to go along with it though. Something to hang off my pack that can be seen at wider angles. I might be talking myself into another light even as I post this. It's terrible having an obsession with lights. Hmm the redzone 4 does a great job at very wide angles too. Must resist!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.