Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Best Mountain Bike Light

I need a real good light for some night riding and single track. All off road. No real budget constraints. I want some thing really good. Prefer handle bar mounted.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    There is no best. It's all a compromise. You already screwed up, "best" by wanting only a bar mount light. Welcome to the world of lights. There is as much to know about lights as there is about the rest of the MTB industry.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Magically Delicious
    If I only had one light, it's going on the helmet. My additional light is for the bars. It sux moving fast while trying to see around turns with only a handlebar mounted light.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

Happy Trails

Best Mountain Bike Light

Exposure Toro on the bar and Diablo on the helmet. No compromises. Well made. Same charger. $250 +$350. And I can use as a flashlight on my dog trail walks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post
    Exposure Toro on the bar and Diablo on the helmet. No compromises. Well made. Same charger. $250 +$350. And I can use as a flashlight on my dog trail walks.

That's about as good as it gets.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Magically Delicious
    I have tried several and I'm liking the DiNotte XML-3's. One for the helmet and one on the bars.

Best Mountain Bike Light-img_6565.jpg

Best Mountain Bike Light-img_6561.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    I have tried several and I'm liking the DiNotte XML-3's. One for the helmet and one on the bars.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6565.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	874470

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6561.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	874471
    That looks like a killer set up. Dinotte makes some high quality lights. Would you have any night shots??

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharddog03 View Post
    That looks like a killer set up. Dinotte makes some high quality lights. Would you have any night shots??
    Interesting that you should say that cause I was just thinkin' about getting some night shots. I'll try and get some.

I can't say enough good things about DiNotte and these lights. 3000 lumens pretty much sets the stage for a fast night ride. With the exception of blind curves and drop-offs, you can't out ride these lights. On high beam, I can get 2.5 hours of serious light from one charge.

mtbr member
    Outstanding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Ok can I play too?

NEW 3800lm 3x Cree Xm-l T6 Led Outdoor Headlight Headlamp Bicycle / Bike Light - Amazon.com

This is a $30 Amazon special light with the Wide Angle lens on the bars and the regular spot lens on the helmet. I adapted these to GoPro mounts thanks to VancBiker and his custom mounts. I am considering getting another bar mount and attaching a spot beam to it as well.

LET THERE BE LIGHT I SAY!

Attachment 874521Attachment 874522Best Mountain Bike Light-img_20140305_101149.jpgBest Mountain Bike Light-img_20140305_101201.jpgBest Mountain Bike Light-img_20140305_093314.jpgBest Mountain Bike Light-img_20140305_093327.jpg

I'll try and get some night shots of these, but they are bright that's for sure.

-=Jason=-

Magically Delicious
    ^^^^ I must say that the price is right!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    ^^^^ I must say that the price is right!
    all in all my total is as follows:
    Code:

$30 light x 2 = $60
    $5 Wide Angle Lens
    $13 Bar mount
    $6 blue thumb screw for helmet
    $12 VancBiker Mount x 2 = $24
    Total invested: $108
    for the money this combo is almost untouchable. yeah You can get away without the gopro stuff and save some cash there, but I didn't like those cheap rubber bands these lights come with. I'd like to get side by side with someone who has one of those $150 plus lights and see how well my setup compares.

-=Jason=-

mtbr member
    Yeah, spending $100 for $1000 worth of lumens seems like a good idea, till something goes wrong with those cheap lights. Iv'e done a lot of reading about them, and it's just not worth the possible trouble.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Got posted twice somehow.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Yeah, spending $100 for $1000 worth of lumens seems like a good idea, till something goes wrong with those cheap lights. Iv'e done a lot of reading about them, and it's just not worth the possible trouble.
    Perhaps that's true, but at those prices you could carry an extra one in your pocket.

mtbr member
    Perhaps that's true, but at those prices you could carry an extra one in your pocket.
    Right after you end up in a ditch with a mind full of $ bills because one of your lights failed. And before your house burns down because your batteries caught on file while charging them, because at $30 a light the factory in China had to cut some corners.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yeah, from someone who has both cheap and expensive, the cheap is hard to beat.

However, over the last 3 seasons I've been using the Dinotte XML-3 dual. And several cheap lights. For some reason I can't quit buying those cheap lights. They're such a good deal until I look back and see that every ride I never leave home w/o the Dinottes. There's always something w/ the cheap lights. Batteries don't last as long anymore, wire frayed and shorting light out, light head just quit working one day and the connectors are VERY spotty as far as actually connecting and staying together. Yet they keep sucking me in. Dammit!!

Bottom line is I never ride w/o the Dinottes.

mtbr member
    Besides, the OP said, "No real budget constraints". So, why would people lead him down the road of cheap lights? Just doesn't make any sense. That would be like looking at BMWs and the dealer starts showing you Kia's cars
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    I've only had one of the cheap flashlights give me trouble, and fixed it by resoldering a cold joint. They still use questionably thin amounts of aluminum and cheap wires, but I still haven't managed to crossthread or crack a housing, and no wires have started to go, leaving my box of wiring unscathed.

I do not use cheap batteries, ever. Protected batteries pulled from US equipment only.

I am enjoying the Gloworm XS I purchased two weeks ago. Ultralight, hella bright, great UI with no annoying fluff. Crazy cheap if you by the head only, yet still comes with a full mounting kit. Nice, wide beam, great color.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Besides, the OP said, "No real budget constraints". So, why would people lead him down the road of cheap lights? Just doesn't make any sense. That would be like looking at BMWs and the dealer starts showing you Kia's cars

I read the title and didn't read the OP's post my bad. I am running lights within my budget at the moment and for now they work great. should these cheap lights fail me i'll look into something different.

-=jason=-

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I am looking for a light like the OP. I know where to buy all the low cost lights. Can you guys list out some of the shops for the Higher quality lights. The only one I know is Action-LED. What other shops are there?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for the link.
    Budget is a very dangerous question since I collect flashlights, lol. I would like to keep it under $300. I was considering just getting just the light head and use the many 18650 batteries that I have already along with one of these holders.
    Water Resistant 4 x 18650 Battery Pack Case House Cover for Bike Lamp | eBay

mtbr member
    I was contemplating purchasing the Dinotte 3xml but I already own a pair of Gemini Olympias. I decided to purchase the gloworm XS lighthead ($220) from Jim at action Led due to the true 2200 lumen output and great reviews with gloworm products.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast