mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Best lights in 20-30$ price range?

It was discussed here over and over again which lights are best. That is fair. But now i have to buy lights for all my family, and i'm not ready to spend hundreds of dollars for that. So my question is: what lights you can recommend? Maybe you bought something surprisingly good on Alibaba, or you know really decent low cost lights from major brand?

What i'm looking for is:
    * ability to run on regular AA, AAA (and maybe, but not ideally CR123) batteries - you can buy them anywhere
    * light good enough to ride in the night (i'm not expecting miracles)
    * possibility to use as helmet light (with flashlight form-factor i can probably find good adapters)
    * preferably light and small so i can just put it in saddle bag

Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rekrutacja
    It was discussed here over and over again which lights are best. That is fair. But now i have to buy lights for all my family, and i'm not ready to spend hundreds of dollars for that. So my question is: what lights you can recommend? Maybe you bought something surprisingly good on Alibaba, or you know really decent low cost lights from major brand?

What i'm looking for is:
    * ability to run on regular AA, AAA (and maybe, but not ideally CR123) batteries - you can buy them anywhere
    * light good enough to ride in the night (i'm not expecting miracles)
    * possibility to use as helmet light (with flashlight form-factor i can probably find good adapters)
    * preferably light and small so i can just put it in saddle bag

Any ideas?
    Some people like the 3-AAA adjustable flood to throw torches sold by D/X. This is one such torch. It also has a translucent ring allowing you to be visible from the side, very nice extra if you commute. It is also a 3-mode, high/mid/strobe. Check out the Youtube link listed on the reviews. The only down side is that you might have a hard time finding a torch bar holder for something this size. One of the two-fish holders might work though.

Next, something lighter/smaller for the helmet. Perhaps something like this.

These are just examples. Keep in mind the more brighter the emitter, the more the power drain. Run times will not be long using AAA or AA's. The ones I linked to have lower power modes which can help conserve battery life. With a set-up like this ( two torches ) expect only to ride things like roads and paved bike trails. Carry extra batteries because you are going to need them. When using torches ALWAYS use at least two ( in case one goes out ). Expect that anything using three batteries may be problematic.

Just to note, I've never used any of the torches I'm recommending here. These are just the one's I might use if I decided I needed to use torches that use AA or AAA.
    Link to D/X's AA torch page > link

Link to D/X's Triple A torch page > Link

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I just picked up a 3 pack of tactical 150 lumen lights with a low setting (120 lumens i think) for $19 at costco and they came with 9 aaa duracell's (3 each) used one a few weeks ago on my commute and i prob. would not do any high speed mtb but is fine for general use and definitely good back up to keep in bag.

Also note custom handlebar mount made from old reflector mounts i had sitting around.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best lights in 20-30$ price range?-2.1jpg.jpg  

mtbr member
    That was pretty slick with the old reflector mounts, very nice! I saw those same lights at a Costco down here and wondered how they'd work, I would imagine they would make a descent commuter light. Ride safe out there!

Shannon