Thread: best light?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

best light?

which are the best lights for a mountain bike that will light up the way but are also not too expensive? obviously been on a mountain bike they also need to be hard wearing

mtbr member
    Really please do some research. There is a sticky on the top of this forum for the light shootout. There is a lot of information.

Whats not too expensive. It depends on the person.

You are not going to get the longest lasting and brightest light for a cheap price.

Ya want a good light get a Lupine Betty. They cost around a grand.

You want a cheap light that should get the job done, make sure to carry 2. I guarantee you that nobody, but you knows what you need in a light.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jessball View Post
    which are the best lights for a mountain bike that will light up the way but are also not too expensive? obviously been on a mountain bike they also need to be hard wearing
    Do you want the best light or the light that isn't too expensive?

J.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    You can get what I use for $11

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Jessball, an idea of your budget would help us on recommendations. Looking for bar and helmet?? or just one light? Two would be much smarter so as to have a backup if one fails an hour into your ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    You can get a T6 bike light on Ebay only around $29/set, you can also get NiteFighter BT40 for $119/set,but, before you buy, you need to do below consideration:
    1. The lumens must test by ANSI standard;
    2. BAK and Sansung battery would be better;
    3. Lightweight;
    4. Wide angle;
    5. Reasonable price.

Andy

mtbr member

Re: best light?

I'm in the market for a light and battery combination. Check out Xeccon. They seem to have the best batteries and good lights at a decent price. Plus they offer a warranty.

mtbr member
    Which brand battery does Xeccon use? BAK or Sansung? What's the price for Xeccon 4400mAh battery ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Waldens View Post
    Which brand battery does Xeccon use? BAK or Sansung? What's the price for Xeccon 4400mAh battery ?
    Check out the review of their batteries here:

Xeccon 6600 hard case battery review....and what I've learned about cheap lights

mtbr member
    hey guys Im new in here

mtbr member

best light?

Quote Originally Posted by luigiestrada View Post
    hey guys Im new in here
    welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.airbornemtb.org
    expensive is relative, and "best" could depend on many factors such as the type of trails you ride.

that said, based on my personal observation the brightest of the "inexpensive" lights i have seen would be the bikeray v. Ray V (Fi) | BikeRayUSA I had a chance to demo one at last weeks fat tire fest and it was insanely bright! had a perfect beam (for my taste) nice and wide, no noticeable hot spot, still plenty of throw. It appeared much brighter than any "clone" light ive seen so far.

It did have a big battery, and at $299 that might not be your idea of cheap, but i have to say its the "best" light i have put my hands on.

Im currently using one of the lights listed in this thread on my bars: New clone 3 x XML T-6 49.88 shipped and one of these on the helmet: UltraFire D99 a promising new 2x light? Im very happy with that setup for now on twisty singletrack where spread is more important to me than distance.
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    I understand that engineering has value in and of itself. But in the end, it's still just a pile of aluminum tubes.

29er
    Apr 2010
    cheap, bright, durable.....pick two

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Best light is Lupine

Hey, I think the best light maker is the Lupine brand. It is awesome and that is what I use. I got a great deal at www.austinstrail.com and most of the time they will give you free shipping with Lupine lights. I have bought many lights and light accessories from them over the years. As far as the light I bought it was the Piko 3/ Smartcore. It is a powerhouse for its size and has 900 Lumens! Here is the direct link for the light: Lupine Lighting Systems - Piko 3 / Smartcore

Just my 2 cents
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nick d View Post
    expensive is relative, and "best" could depend on many factors such as the type of trails you ride.

that said, based on my personal observation the brightest of the "inexpensive" lights i have seen would be the bikeray v. Ray V (Fi) | BikeRayUSA I had a chance to demo one at last weeks fat tire fest and it was insanely bright! had a perfect beam (for my taste) nice and wide, no noticeable hot spot, still plenty of throw. It appeared much brighter than any "clone" light ive seen so far.

It did have a big battery, and at $299 that might not be your idea of cheap, but i have to say its the "best" light i have put my hands on.

Im currently using one of the lights listed in this thread on my bars: New clone 3 x XML T-6 49.88 shipped and one of these on the helmet: UltraFire D99 a promising new 2x light? Im very happy with that setup for now on twisty singletrack where spread is more important to me than distance.
    Nick I have to question just how many lights you've seen if you're saying the Bikeray V is a "best light" candidate. Just looking at the lamp head it is obvious that the lamp is using a triple molded optic. This is the same type of optical setup as the prior versions of the the other Bikeray lights that ( judging by today's standards ) are really not that bright. One of things I like about the cheap Tri-clone lamps is the triple reflector that they use. It does a great job of getting the light out in front of the bike and has very good throw and decent side spill.

Since I own two different versions of the Bikeray lamps ( III and IV ) I was sad to see that no effort has been made on behalf of Bikeray to upgrade the mode set-ups of the lamp driver. The Bikeray V is only listed to have two modes ( H-L ). That, to say the least is not a good thing. Sadly the website listing has the BR V as using 3-Cree XP-G LED's when most likely it is using XM-L's. Not good if the website is claiming 3000 lumen output. Added to that they are listing the battery as 17 volts... This makes no sense since as they are using 8 x 18650 cells. Run time on high is 3hrs, not good for a lamp using 8 cells. Now if these sold for somewhere around $100 maybe it might be worth the expense...but $300!..

Nick I'm not questioning your call on how bright it is. It may indeed be quite bright. I haven't seen one myself to be able to say otherwise. I'm just saying it would surprise me if it indeed it could out-throw one of the ( WAY-cheaper ) tri-clones. Regardless, it still wouldn't be worth $300.

www.airbornemtb.org
    first for the record I want to say that i dont own anything given to me by bikeray. Ive never been given anything by them to "test" or anything shady like that. I did purchase a ray2 a couple years ago at full price, but thats it.

compared to my 3x clone, it was noticeably brighter(not just by me but by everyone on the night ride), and i actually liked the beam better. it also felt like a better quality product than my ebay special. based on those factors, and after owning a bunch of different magicshines and clones, i have to say its the best light i have used.

im not going to get into defending or explaining its inner workings. i can answer those questions and IMO that's the job of the person selling them

like i mentioned, im using a 3x clone myself and a d99 on the helmet and im quite happy with the combo, and the price i paid for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Nick I have to question just how many lights you've seen if you're saying the Bikeray V is a "best light" candidate. Just looking at the lamp head it is obvious that the lamp is using a triple molded optic. This is the same type of optical setup as the prior versions of the the other Bikeray lights that ( judging by today's standards ) are really not that bright. One of things I like about the cheap Tri-clone lamps is the triple reflector that they use. It does a great job of getting the light out in front of the bike and has very good throw and decent side spill.

Since I own two different versions of the Bikeray lamps ( III and IV ) I was sad to see that no effort has been made on behalf of Bikeray to upgrade the mode set-ups of the lamp driver. The Bikeray V is only listed to have two modes ( H-L ). That, to say the least is not a good thing. Sadly the website listing has the BR V as using 3-Cree XP-G LED's when most likely it is using XM-L's. Not good if the website is claiming 3000 lumen output. Added to that they are listing the battery as 17 volts... This makes no sense since as they are using 8 x 18650 cells. Run time on high is 3hrs, not good for a lamp using 8 cells. Now if these sold for somewhere around $100 maybe it might be worth the expense...but $300!..

Nick I'm not questioning your call on how bright it is. It may indeed be quite bright. I haven't seen one myself to be able to say otherwise. I'm just saying it would surprise me if it indeed it could out-throw one of the ( WAY-cheaper ) tri-clones. Regardless, it still wouldn't be worth $300.
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    I understand that engineering has value in and of itself. But in the end, it's still just a pile of aluminum tubes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by diamondtorches View Post
    Price doesn't matter.
    It must be spot and must be give a high bright range.
    Lupine Wilma!! 2800 measured lumens and very good range,, not cheap though. You can purchase at Gretnabikes.com. Cheers!!

mtbr member
    OK

there are thousands of options. here is my take.

budget for lights: unlimited really, I have paid mad dollars for lights. I learned
    cheap chinese lights do the same damn thing, so I stopped

years riding hard > 30

what I use today:
    shadow bl21 (cheap chinese, surprisingly well made),
    zebralight h600w mkII (expensive US spec/china made),
    yinding 2xml (cheap chinese light, well made light, battery blows)

cost for what I use today: 200 bucks

-------------
    you said price does not matter, then you need Lupine. they are over-engineered and are king-of-the-hill basically.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by diamondtorches View Post
    Price doesn't matter.
    It must be spot and must be give a high bright range.
    Forgot to mention,,,, (Amoeba) lights made by Scar are also a good way to go as he will talk to you and custom build a set up to exactly what your looking for, in your case brightness and range of which he can use smaller die led's and custom optics to give you the range your looking for. You will find a great following on this forum of satisfied customers!! Cheers!!

Light freak

SPAM Alert!

indebt - I truly do appreciate your mentioning me. I just get very suspicious of someone whose first posts just happen to be about bike lights here lately as this forum is being flooded by SPAM dealers who see that the "clone factories" are doing pretty good at taking peoples money in this forum. I like to see if they ever post in any of the other forums about bikes or riding bikes.

diamondtorches - Is this really as creative you can get? First off, you use your company name as your screen name.

I need some suggestions for lighting product. I am going to camping in recent days, m planning for flashlight (led torch) and i have come through this light: Taiba 1 Watt Rechargeable Led Flashlight .
    You are asking for a suggestion for a lighting product that you sell?? Then you link to a flashlight that your company sells.

Let's check your profile for giggles.

Country - India. Hmmm, Diamond torches is based out of India.

Favorite type of riding - Freeride, Downhill, Road. Wow, that is quite a variety.

Bike set-up - Pulsar 150 .Googled this as I have never heard of this bike. It is a motorcycle manufactured in, guess where? India

Here is a link to the responses you made within one hour in other threads, all having to do with lights. http://forums.mtbr.com/search.php?searchid=516259

Nice try (even tho you did get a few people to respond to you)

jessball and anybody else interested in a bike light that is built by a fellow cyclist who has no problems standing behind his product for years, then shoot me an email and I can forward you some information.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scar View Post
    indebt - I truly do appreciate your mentioning me. I just get very suspicious of someone whose first posts just happen to be about bike lights here lately as this forum is being flooded by SPAM dealers who see that the "clone factories" are doing pretty good at taking peoples money in this forum. I like to see if they ever post in any of the other forums about bikes or riding bikes.

diamondtorches - Is this really as creative you can get? First off, you use your company name as your screen name.

You are asking for a suggestion for a lighting product that you sell?? Then you link to a flashlight that your company sells.

Let's check your profile for giggles.

Country - India. Hmmm, Diamond torches is based out of India.

Favorite type of riding - Freeride, Downhill, Road. Wow, that is quite a variety.

Bike set-up - Pulsar 150 .Googled this as I have never heard of this bike. It is a motorcycle manufactured in, guess where? India

Here is a link to the responses you made within one hour in other threads, all having to do with lights. http://forums.mtbr.com/search.php?searchid=516259

Nice try (even tho you did get a few people to respond to you)

jessball and anybody else interested in a bike light that is built by a fellow cyclist who has no problems standing behind his product for years, then shoot me an email and I can forward you some information.

Guess I got sucked in. May be time to ignore new posts for a while as I don't feel like playing detective with all the spam. Thanx for the heads up Scar.Cheers!!

mtbr member
    I am using a 1500 Gemini Duo on my helmet and a 1400 on the bar with a headlight mount (that, by the way, made a surprisingly big difference in lighting quality, a $6.95 gudget at action-led-lights, that is probably worth a few hundred lumens).

Close to 3000 combined they work spectacularly. I can use the bar at 50% and it makes little difference unless I am going fast downhill, hei ... both at 50% are still great. Running both with the Gemini hard case waterproof duo cells they weight way less than a pound combined (the lights itself are 55 grams each!), and they last 1.5 to 3h at half power. They are reliable, cheap, given the quality, and ... more than enough.

Look at them as a benchmark: 3000 lumens are a lot. And the point is that they are by no means unique on the market (although they are tough to beat price/quality/weight wise).

Anything else that gives you 2000-3500 lumens on the trail with similar features will work as well.

Name:  MT-201P_grande.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  27.0 KB