mtbr member
    May 2014

best homemade bike light

I need a good light for my bikes for night riding but don't want to spend what a lot of those things are selling for. Has anyone tried using a mini mag light pro that has 270 lumens of candlepower strapped to their stem? I thought about this and my stem has 2 little ears where the bar clamp is that the light would cradle in nicely then I could rubber band it on.

I also seen this BIKE LIGHT 500 Lumen "Mt.Bike" for under 10 bucks NOW W/ LED TECHNOLOGY by Veggiecycle : RCA male/female

but it looks as if the wattage would melt the pvc. I don't mind spending 40-50 bucks but don't want to spend 30 bucks on a flashlight to find out it doesn't work as well as I thought it would. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. FWIW on our last night ride I used a LED hat light strapped to my helmet and it worked really well but it wasn't as bright as I would have preferred.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I would get a Yinding kit (with a battery/charger/etc) from Gearbest, or a Solarstorm X2. Those are cheapest good option and they are very bright. Forget that link that you posted.

Cool white Yinding
    Yinding 900LM CREE XM L2 2 LEDs 4 Modes Cool White Headlight Lamp Set ( 4 x 18650 Battery US Plug )-39.88 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com
    Neutral white
    Yinding 900Lm CREE XM L2 2 LEDs 4 Modes Headlight Lamp Set ( 4 x 18650 Battery Neutral White US Plug )-40.82 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com

There's also a coupon code. I believe it's YINDING.

All the bike lights used be be cool white, but one of our members (GJHS) negotiated special orders that include the neutral whites. Many people prefer the neutral white but it's really a personal preference. There are pictures in the main Yinding thread.

The main Yinding thread is here:
    Original/Real Yinding YD 2xU2 found

People also starting buying the Nitefighter lights recently, but they are more expensive. So nothing is really known about long term reliability, but it's thought that they will be good. People that have bought them have been happy with them. The BT21 are just arriving and they are the "hot" light to get right now.

Solarstorm X2 are dual emitters lights that have proven pretty reliable in the long term provided that you get an original and not a clone. They were cloned to death. I ordered mine from lightmalls and Gearbest. Solarstorm X3 are a triple emitter lights that are also a good option. There's also a four emitter light called the xt40 or something like that. It doesn't have the best heat-sinking, but they are super bright. A bunch of people bought them.

You can get a Solarstorm x2 light-head-only for cheap. I'm not sure about their kits though, I believe their batteries were inferior.

One option is to get light-heads from gearbest and decent Magicshine batteries from action led. This is what I have done.

Another option is to get an empty battery box and then fill them with quality 18650 cells.

For a real quality setup I would get something from action led
    Action-LED-Lights ? BIKE LIGHTS
    He provides excellent products with excellent customer service.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    For 50 bucks you really can't do better than the nitefighter bt40 set. It comes with a great battery already and a very good charger as well. Very hard to beat even going a la carte and finding deals on cells and holders

On the other hand, if you want great service Jim at action LED is the best there is. I would say that if it's in your budget I would order something like a gloworm in a heartbeat.

mtbr member
    The yinding and solarstorms are good lights (solarstorm x2 driver issues starting to show up though), the batteries aren't very good. They work to start but will start going bad after not very long. Nitefighter lights are the same quality in the head but actual branded and solid BAK cells. Actually get the rated capacity to.

Thing is some little light for night riding trails isn't going to cut it unless you really like riding slow. You have $50, buy a bt40 kit and be done with it. Solid reliable and plenty of light. Nitefighter is the only "budget friendly" lights I would buy again as the kits with battery pack.
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Thing is some little light for night riding trails isn't going to cut it unless you really like riding slow. You have $50, buy a bt40 kit and be done with it. Solid reliable and plenty of light. Nitefighter is the only "budget friendly" lights I would buy again as the kits with battery pack.
    Didn't you just get that light? In my opinion it's too soon to rate reliability.

mtbr member
    Because of build quality and thermal management. Trust it alot better than the ss x2. Already had one ss x3 driver go stupid on me and its not a clone driver, its original. You seem to forget how many lights I have and the ones already having problems are the ones that have the avg build quality all about being cheap but decent. Nitefighter takes things far more seriously. Hell they give us good cells, real 2 yr warranty and so on. Only other light in the price range that the head has that level of build quality and though out design is the yinding. I put my lights through hell and back, had 3 fail so far. KD2 yinding clone, solarstorm x3, and an angel eye.

Enough said.
    Trek Marlin 29er

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    When all the people who bought one in the last month report that it's still working six months from now, then I'll believe that it's reliable.

I'm not doubting what you are saying, I'm just saying it's too early.

mtbr member
    Ya I hear you there. But with all this testing, my faith is thin but high for certain lights. Not so much on others lol.
    Trek Marlin 29er

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I guess what I was seeing online for 50 dollar lights looked cheaply made kind of like the 20 dollar Schwinn lights at K Mart which I am sure are junk. I figured why spend 50 bucks on a cheap light when 30 bucks would get you an aluminum flashlight. I will check into some of the offerings that you guys posted and see. I don't need it right this minute but there is a ride my friends and I try to do once in a while that is daylight when you ride to the bar and dark when you leave. It may be a few weeks before we get to ride it again.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yeah, if you buy regular products at retail then you are not going to get much for $50. For around $70-90 you are getting into the self-contained all-in-one type of light, e.g Lumina 500 and their competitors. Those are a good option also, especially if your ride is under an hour and half in length.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Not much DIY, but those Cree knockoff lights on amazon have done well for me. I don't use them daily, but I've never had a problem with the lights on night rides. Everybody has different experiences with the batteries, so that is a roll of the dice. However, I've use good quality remote control car batteries with my lights, and I get good runtime with those. About 2-3 hours full light. Just need to create a simple wiring plug adapter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Not homemade but if you want to go the hand-held self-contained flashlights route:

For about $15 per, Convoy S2 or S2+, one for bar, one for helmet. S2 more throwy, S2+ is floodier but if you want even more flood, use some diffusion film (I use DC Fix Sand).

https://www.fasttech.com/products/1601/10002364/1826700

You can choose tint and body color, as long as you get the 2800mah model, about 800 lumens.

Fenix alb-10 bar mount, $15. Velcro straps for helmet $5. Decent charger (Nightcore i4 $15) and batteries ($5-$10 per dep on capacity). Yea it adds up quick but you also can use them as flashlights too.

If you want/need more output, next step up is custom lights w/ multiple emitters.
    Last edited by siata94; 06-17-2015 at 02:37 PM.