Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Best Helmet Light?

5K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Cat-man-do 
#1 ·
I have an older Light & Motion Solo Logic light for use on my handlebars. However, I wanted to back this up with a helmet light as I night ride alone.

Don't want to spend more than $500. What would you guys recommend

#8 ·
starsky said:
I have an older Light & Motion Solo Logic light for use on my handlebars. However, I wanted to back this up with a helmet light as I night ride alone.

Don't want to spend more than $500. What would you guys recommend
To bad it wasn't $599 as the Lupine Wilma kicks but.It will give you an OTF 1100 lumens with three hour run times,and at 30% setting which for me i found brighter than my MS on full power,you will get 10 hours of run time.Hard pressed to find a better light at any cost.The Piko also is an awesome choice.Both programable!!

There is also a good bargan with the 800+ by Dinotte which is closer to 1000 lumens OTF at a very good price of $319.

And the new Bike ray3 with German made battery's for a shade under $200 at Geoman.

#10 · (Edited)
indebt said:
To bad it wasn't $599 as the Lupine Wilma kicks but.It will give you an OTF 1100 lumens with three hour run times,and at 30% setting which for me i found brighter than my MS on full power,you will get 10 hours of run time.Hard pressed to find a better light at any cost.The Piko also is an awesome choice.Both programable!!

There is also a good bargan with the 800+ by Dinotte which is closer to 1000 lumens OTF at a very good price of $319.

And the new Bike ray3 with German made battery's for a shade under $200 at Geoman.
...About the Bike Ray stuff. You might want to consider the Bike Ray I ( one ). It is using the D-bin P-7 and set up with a narrow reflector. This should translate very well for helmet use. Not to mention all bike rays are claiming to use better batteries now. The Bike Ray II uses the same D-bin P-7 but is set-up to provide a wider beam pattern. Bike Ray III uses three XP-G's. The output ( IMO ) is too floody for helmet use but should be fine for bar use.

I've not seen the Bike Ray I in action but if the beam pattern is as narrow as the original MagicShine's, the additional output of the D-bin emitter should provide a brighter output. I would think somewhere around 750-800 lumen OTF. Not bad for $100.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.