Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Best Dynamo-powered light

First time poster.... I've done a search without success, so here's a question.

On one of my bikes I run a Shimano front hub dynamo. It is for some winter riding and wet weather riding and bar runs and other general riding. But we also do some more serious rides on which these bikes are taken and it's comforting to know that the battery will never be discharged and I never have to recharge it. It's virtually transparent on the bike - meaning I can't feel the resistance and it is hidden from view by the handlebars.

The light I have now is adequate. It's a Lumotec IQ (not sure of the sub-model...) and does OK but not great. It is nice for illuminating right near the front wheel but doesn't really project much.

I know that the current crop of battery lights are winners and I just ordered a Seca 1400 for some of the night rides. But I really like the dynamo concept for commuting and less intense riding.

Do any of you light geeks (I'm one too! ) have a suggestion on 'best' generator driven light? I.e. - Brightest and best projection?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best Dynamo-powered light-lumotec.jpg  

mtbr member
    I think the IQs have improved over the recent years so do check your model.

I run an IQ Cyo and its plenty of light for fast riding on dry roads. Occasionally I can't see far enough around sharp bends.
    For wet black roads its really hard to get good illumination.
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Been thinking of going the dynamo route, so I've searched the net for anything on the topic.

Read a review that said the B&M IQ CYO RT (with daytime running lights) was the worst headlight tested, despite having good light output. It seems that particular models unusual reflector/lens may not be optimal.

If that's what you have (I can't tell from the pic, but it's possible), you may be able to get the other reflector/lens from B&M, since your housing is shared across some of the model line.

I agree with znomit, the IQ CYO should be all the light you need.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    comparo w/ beamshots - http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/headlights.asp

I run a B&M IQ CYO R. I want a Supernova E3 BAD.

Candlestick Maker
    I have a b&m cyo, a supernova e3 triple, and a b&m lyt. The B&M Lyt is marginal, The Cyo is sufficient, the E3 Triple is awesome.
    baker

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I think the Supernova E3 Pro triple is probably the best light on the market at the moment. Not cheap though
    http://www.supernova-lights.com/en/p...e3_triple.html

Candlestick Maker
    I picked up the E3 Triple at AE Bike for $235

http://aebike.com/product/supernova-...t9913-qc30.htm

Using this to drive my E3 triple:

Tools of the trade

Stan's ZTR Crest 29er rim
    Schmidt SONdelux disc hub
    DT Comp spokes
    Brass Nipples

Woohoo! This combo is significantly lighter and brighter than my Cyo/Shimano combo.
    baker

mtbr member
    Or you could try a light I make...

Best Dynamo-powered light-goldkit.jpg

~80g w dynamo circuit and kinda good looking...

w XPE could go up to 870LM (on paper) or XPG 1000ish but less punch...

XPE is a good trade off between raw output and throw...

hope this helps

Ktronik

Its got what plants crave
    I am getting annoyed by constant battery charging and battery failures, something like this would be pretty cool. Do any of the dynamo hubs offer the ability to convert back and forth to 20mm/15mm/QR? Seems like most of what I've seen is road oriented, thusly QR.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    I am getting annoyed by constant battery charging and battery failures, something like this would be pretty cool. Do any of the dynamo hubs offer the ability to convert back and forth to 20mm/15mm/QR? Seems like most of what I've seen is road oriented, thusly QR.
    Not that I am aware of. Everything I've seen is 9mm QR.
    baker

mtbr member
    In the old days if we wanted it stiffer up front, we would install a 9/1 solid axial w nuts...

That was before the 20mm Stuff was out

k

mtbr member
    In the old days if we wanted it stiffer up front, we would install a 9/1 solid axial w nuts...

That was before the 20mm Stuff was out

k

Another Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by ktronik
    Or you could try a light I make...
    What do I get from you compared to the SuperNova triple?

- brightness/beam pattern?
    - Low speed brightness?
    - standby feature?

E3 triple costs $235 with local USA shipping, yours costs $250 or $280 plus shipping from Oz.

Another Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by ktronik
    Can't swap the axles in the Shimano and SRAM dyno hubs, SRAM claims to have solid axle dynohubs, never saw one in the US. Shimano is QR only from what I've seen.

mtbr member
    Just had a quick look at the exploded view of the Shimano hub, and part 5 is axial and geny bits, that don't look to come apart, as the above posts state, bummer

When you trade reflector/optic size and weight, so smaller and lighter, you
    normaly get less LUX, or punch out the front.

So if your main consern is weight, size I tick the right box, but if it's beam pattern, your after, the bigger lights will win every time

my dynamo light is made for off road 24hr racing, when using xpe it's an ok beam pattern on the road.

On my old website, below on sig, you can see graphs of light vs speed ect for the different power curves I offer

I do offer different size standlite caps

I don't offer a cutoff on the top of the beam so not legal in Germany

hope this help

ktronik

Slow But Still Pedaling
    Anyone have experience with the Schmidt Edelux? I kinda like the matching anodized version they sell along with the 20R hub and an almost-matching Rohloff...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Here is an interesting site that compares several different lights
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~swhs/fiets/tes.../index_en.html

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I need to find that Philips Saferide.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    It's available on eBay.de for EUR 68,90
    http://cgi.ebay.de/60Lux-Philips-LED...item483ec5d846

The author of
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~swhs/fiets/tes.../index_en.html
    posts on CPF as swhs
    Read his posting about the Philips Saferide LED dynamo light here:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ide-LED-dynamo

Candlestick Maker
    That seller appears to only ship to Germany.

I've been interested in those Philips. Too bad they aren't widely distributed.
    baker

mtbr member
    May 2007

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Philis Saferide

Quote Originally Posted by ryball
    I need to find that Philips Saferide.
    I've bought one from Germany via mail order. I can't quite recall but it came from either Bike24 or Rose Versand - whichever was cheaper! Both give good service and are fine to deal with. The light thus far has proved excellent. I use it for commuting. Beam is great for that purpose. I would like a more versatile mounting system and I'd prefer a slightly more 'clicky' on-off switch. But this things made for the Eu market - not for mountain biking. It goes on the fork crown and is meant to be bullet proof! Housing is aluminium. Make sure you buy the dyno version and not the battery one. Mine's going on my Dummy.

Savvas,
    Adelaide.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Well, I bought a Supernova E3 Triple. Pretty bright! Reports of it being 'too bright for road use' are greatly exaggerated. But in an effort to not blind oncoming traffic I have it pointed at the road in front of me, down, not straight out. I don't want to be an annoyance and I can see quite well with it.

I also bought a Light and Motion Seca 1400 for non-dynamo riding and it too is very nice.

I've only got one ride on the Supernova so I can't yet give a full report, but early indications are pretty positive. Out of town at the moment so I don't have any pictures. Forgot to take them when I was at home.

Slow But Still Pedaling
    Please take some and post continued observations as you ride with the triple!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JimInSF
    Please take some and post continued observations as you ride with the triple!
    Here it is: my winter bike, just in time for the end of the winter riding season.......

I've only been out on one real night ride with the new light but it looks to be a large improvement over the previous Busch & Müller, which didn't suck, but seemed kinda inadequate. This one looks to be much nicer, though reports of it being far too bright to use on public roads seem exaggerated.

Bought it from Harris Cyclery. Installation was pretty quick and easy, though getting the right angle and spacer was not super easy, but part of that is my own absurd level of anal retentiveness on the installation. It could have been easier but I don't want it to interfere with anything.

I will say that I actually preferred the rotary on/off dial switch of the Busch & Müller. It is much easier to manipulate with a gloved hand in the cold than the push button on the Supernova, which requires enough of a push that it can knock the alignment out.

I have also tried to aim it in such a way as to illuminate just the ground ahead of me rather than straight ahead. I really don't want to be an annoying cyclist with a blinding headlight,and those do exist.

Seems to be a winner but I'm not out really late at this time of year and so I can't really judge the success or failure quite yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best Dynamo-powered light-triple-2.jpg  

Best Dynamo-powered light-triple-1.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast