Thread: Best Agressive

...I'm special.

Best Agressive

...I dusted off my old school Niterider Firestorm and found that either the bulb, ballast or electronics is fried.
    Niterider says that I would be better off going with new technology, for serious/technical nocturnal trail riding.

And, there are other choices out there.

I was looking at the Niterider Pro 1800 LED but concerned about the burn time and actual brightness.
    The Light and Motion Seca 1700 Enduro looks promising, but it's a pricier unit and I am not sure about the mounting (helmet and/or bar).

Whattaya recomend?
    Brightest, longest burn time, solid mounting ...I want it all.
    ...gabba-gabba-hey!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Tons of posts in this forum alone with that information

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The L&M mounting system is not bad at all, but the NR system is definitely more rock solid (at the expense of being heavy).

Lumen wise, both lights will perform fine. 1600 lumens is car-high-beam bright. The Seca has an array of lights, and a slightly wider beam pattern, while the NR light has a single lamp that is more focused.

Regarding run times, you will only be running full power on descents, as insufficient airflow will cause the lights to overheat and dim, and you just plain don't need that much light puttering around on the flats or climbing. The L&M light also comes in a 'Race' package, with a smaller battery, and run times similar to the NR light.

Bottom line? Pick the light that you can get cheaper, as both companies are respected lighting companies, and both stand behind their product. Look into accessories as well--L&M also sells headband mounting straps for using the light as a headlamp, in addition to cycling (though to be perfectly honest? You'd fry your eyeballs even on the low setting trying to see something at arms length).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by doof View Post
    .... I am not sure about the mounting (helmet and/or bar)....

Whattaya recomend?
    Brightest, longest burn time, solid mounting ...I want it all.
    [/COLOR]
    Having a lamp that is both the Brightest and having the longest burn time is not necessarily going to follow a logical train of thought. You're going to have to make some choices because if you want the brightest you aren't going to get the longest run times unless you carry a battery the size and weight of a brick.

I recommend a compromise: A duel or triple XM-L emitter lamp on the bars paired with a good single XM-L "thrower" lamp on the helmet. With LED lamps you can extend your run time by running lower output modes when the trail is less technical or fast. Lot's of choices out there right now. Look at some of the review threads for ideas. If you have questions about a particular lamp don't be afraid to ask.

Issues you need to ask yourself:
    1) how long do I actual need to ride at night?
    2) Are you looking for a single lamp or a combo set-up?
    3) Is weight an issue ( either for bar or the helmet? )
    4)Is price an issue? ( or replacement costs for things like batteries?)
    5) How long do you plan to use the lamp? ( before upgrading again? )

...I'm special.
    ...all valid questions to ask.
    I already have a headlamp and I basically want the latest and greatest handlebar mounted system. My last setup was problematic and heavy. I wish that $$ wasn't an issue, but I know that I will have to plunk down some serious coin to get what I want.

The average ride time will be 1.5 to 2.5 hour long rides.
    Light weight and a trick setup is always key, with me.
    ...oh, and I want it to hold up and last forever.

I don't ask for too much, now do I?
    ...gabba-gabba-hey!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Latest and greatest. Lupine Betty R. No question.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by doof View Post
    ...all valid questions to ask.
    I already have a headlamp and I basically want the latest and greatest handlebar mounted system. My last setup was problematic and heavy. I wish that $$ wasn't an issue, but I know that I will have to plunk down some serious coin to get what I want.

The average ride time will be 1.5 to 2.5 hour long rides.
    Light weight and a trick setup is always key, with me.
    ...oh, and I want it to hold up and last forever.

I don't ask for too much, now do I?
    Hey Doof,

Our Double Stryk system is lightweight-ish, exceptionally bright (1800 lumens/dual XM-L), gets 1.5 to 6hrs of burntime, fully waterproof to 66ft, comes with a rather sexy billet h/bar mount, and is pretty much built like a tank. It also comes with a life time warranty.

The system is currently on sale, regular retail is $449.95 but for the time being they are going for $349.95.

Here's the link: Strykr LED Lights

Let me know if you have any questions.

Shannon Scott
    BajaDesigns, Inc.
    Michael DiSano
    Baja Designs Inc.
    (760)560-2252
    www.BajaDesigns.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    You should look into the Gloworm X2. They just came out with the companion to the X2 as well. I personaly have the X2 and ride at night a couple of times a week. I burn it around 2hrs each time and still have 80% of my battery. Has a great mounting system and the light itself was not skimpt on what so ever. Just give it a look. You'll find the thread on here. Good luck!

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RBrady View Post
    Latest and greatest. Lupine Betty R. No question.
    well, you nailed it
    BBW. MS, RD

mtbr member
    May 2009

Niterider Pro 1800 LED

I went riding with a buddy of mine who just got the Niterider Pro 1800 LED (paid around $300). I ride with 2 Strykr SL (one on the bar and helmet). It had a nice wide beam. Most of the time, he was using lower setting and put it on high for downhill singletrack. We were out for almost 3 hours and he was fine.