nocturnal oblivion

Battery voltage compatibility question

Dinotte states not to use a non-Dinotte battery with their lights. I noticed that the 4C MS battery I have is 7.2V. The Dinotte 4C is 7.4V. Is there actually a danger to using the MS battery on a Dinotte? Vice versa?
    What about charger compatibility? Would it be safe to charge the MS battery with the Dinotte charger?
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblemumble View Post
    Dinotte states not to use a non-Dinotte battery with their lights. I noticed that the 4C MS battery I have is 7.2V. The Dinotte 4C is 7.4V. Is there actually a danger to using the MS battery on a Dinotte? Vice versa?
    What about charger compatibility? Would it be safe to charge the MS battery with the Dinotte charger?
    From what I have gathered over the years when dealing with Dinotte: First, their products are first rate, that I won't quibble over. Secondly, if you use their products they really don't want you to mix and match other bike batteries or lamps with their products. Recently I tried to trade in a 600L for a XML-3 hoping that the 600L battery would run with the XML-3. DiNotte however had other ideas. They wanted to provide the XM-L with the new battery and charger. For some reason they didn't want me to use the older DiNotte Li-ion battery with the newer XML-3. Sure, having a newer battery would of been great but I probably wouldn't have needed it. Anyway, that fact and the fact that they were only going to give me squat for my 600L had me deciding to go elsewhere.

Glad I did now. I'll have a new Gloworm X2 by the end of January if all goes as planned. This was a way better bargain as the X2 is compatible with other Chinese made ( 7.4 volt ) Li-ion battery packs. Since I already have a handful of 7.4 volt batteries the X2 ( light head only ) made more since to me.

nocturnal oblivion
    I was in the same boat, had 2 old 400ls, traded one in for an xml 3, the other was plusified. $250 total. I wanted to keep and upgrade one 400l as I use the headband mount nightly and prefer the design for the helmet as well.
    I passed on the gloworm due to heat concerns, my old mj808 gets way too hot to hold as a handheld light when camping etc. I'm interested to see how those play out though.
    Dinotte had me send in my old charger as well. I'm curious to know why. I do know the old dinotte charger wouldn't fully charge my ms battery though. It only would get it to about 60% gauged on my old 400l with the battery meter.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblemumble View Post
    I was in the same boat, had 2 old 400ls, traded one in for an xml 3, the other was plusified. $250 total. I wanted to keep and upgrade one 400l as I use the headband mount nightly and prefer the design for the helmet as well.
    I passed on the gloworm due to heat concerns, my old mj808 gets way too hot to hold as a handheld light when camping etc. I'm interested to see how those play out though.
    Dinotte had me send in my old charger as well. I'm curious to know why. I do know the old dinotte charger wouldn't fully charge my ms battery though. It only would get it to about 60% gauged on my old 400l with the battery meter.
    It could be that the chargers are designed to work with certain specific cells. Depending on the voltage drop across the internal resistance of the cells and the current used to charge those cells, it is quite possible that the monitoring circuit within the DiNotte charger were misreading the charge and thus unable to top the battery off properly. I don't own a universal charger but I would suppose that there are chargers where you can set the charge rate based on the battery's amp hour rating. ( or the charger automatically detects for the proper charge rate before starting the charge. )

Once again, the same holds true for the voltage detectors within the lamp heads. They are designed to detect voltage levels on cells with a set capacity. Since cells with a lower amp hour rating will have a different discharge curve ( then cells with a higher Amp hour rating ) they will not activate the colored ( led )voltage monitors at the same time as cells with more capacity. Personally, I never trust the voltage leds anyway. Better to do a run time test every year so you know what to expect as far as run times go.