Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    After looking at this photo and knowing what lamp the battery was sold with, I feel at this point I would have to tear the shrink wrap off of every cheap Chinese battery I own just to make sure I don't have one of those.
    You guys are making me "want to know more," so stripped one of my Amazon 6Cell packs, all ok.... I think..

The Battery Thread: 2013-fullsizerender-16-.jpg

The Battery Thread: 2013-fullsizerender-15-.jpg
    Last edited by patski; 10-25-2014 at 09:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    After looking at this photo and knowing what lamp the battery was sold with, I feel at this point I would have to tear the shrink wrap off of every cheap Chinese battery I own just to make sure I don't have one of those. It is very obvious from the photo that only one cell is on the positive side when there should be two ( assuming two cells in parallel connected in series ( positive to negative ) to the other two parallel cells ). This scares the crap out of me. Someone must of left their glasses home that day before getting to the assembly line.

@pdxmark, If I were you I would contact the vendor to get a new battery...AND, if you got this from an e-smay vendor I would lodge a complaint with e-smay.

( Edit; I just removed the shrink wrap off of one of my cheap batteries. No problems with mine. Actually the connections look much better than the one that pdxmark has. Anyway, still a good idea to check it if you own and actually use one of these. Personally, I only use the cheap batteries for testing and that very rarely.
    I will lodge a complaint; mostly because I'm worried that another of theses batteries might get into the hands of someone who is not so understanding of modding or testing and buys one to just use, wherein the battery melts down and someone gets seriously hurt.
    -Actually, I think I'll lodge a complaint in the form of a video.-

I'll look at getting one of those 2S2P battery boxes. The trustfires are protected cells, so is it necessary to buy a battery-box with a PCM?

You guys, wow, I appreciate you responses very much. Don't know what I would do without you guys... Most likely get seriously hurt, or just end up wasting my money!
    Goodbye '95 ZJ. Just so you know, transfering box of left behind womens panties to next truck. Thank you ZJ!

mtbr member
    No, you don't need a box with protection, but you might run into a situation where protected cells are too long for a case. I bought the Pannova case to run protected cells in (though I also use 2 unprotected cells in it while testing lights).

-Garry

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yep No prob here...

Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    You guys are making me "want to know more," so stripped one of my Amazon 6Cell packs, all ok.... I think..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender (16).jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	135.1 KB 
ID:	934053

Name:	FullSizeRender (15).jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	151.7 KB 
ID:	934054

Just Ride !
    There a difference between Sanyo battery packs vs panasonics ? I notice that the Sanyo mah ratings are lower ( 5800 vs 6400-6800) so I take it panasonics generally give longer run times ?
    Hit the trails with your bike and get freaky.

mtbr member
    Yes, in a 2S2P battery pack running a light that doesn't have huge current draw (90-95% of lights I'd say) you'd get more runtime out of the Panasonics. The sanyo cells (depends on exactly which cell though) generally keep a higher voltage during discharge which helps greatly in single cell applications (i.e. flashlights pulling 3A+ from the cell). Running cells in parallel greatly reduces that voltage sag, so in "normal" lights you wouldn't notice it as an issue.

Well known battery & charger tester HKJ has a nice "18650 Comparator" to compare voltage sag and capacity at various current levels. There are also links to the full reviews of the cells. Note that some of the cells are listed by a brand name, so for instance if you are looking for testing of a Panasonic NCR18650A 3100mAh you'd choose either the Keeppower 3100 or the Redilast 3100. The "brand name" is just the manufacturer who added a protection circuit and/or wrapped the OEM cell for retail use. Another tidbit, Panasonic owns Sanyo now.

-Garry

Just Ride !
    Quote Originally Posted by garrybunk View Post
    Yes, in a 2S2P battery pack running a light that doesn't have huge current draw (90-95% of lights I'd say) you'd get more runtime out of the Panasonics. The sanyo cells (depends on exactly which cell though) generally keep a higher voltage during discharge which helps greatly in single cell applications (i.e. flashlights pulling 3A+ from the cell). Running cells in parallel greatly reduces that voltage sag, so in "normal" lights you wouldn't notice it as an issue.

Well known battery & charger tester HKJ has a nice "18650 Comparator" to compare voltage sag and capacity at various current levels. There are also links to the full reviews of the cells. Note that some of the cells are listed by a brand name, so for instance if you are looking for testing of a Panasonic NCR18650A 3100mAh you'd choose either the Keeppower 3100 or the Redilast 3100. The "brand name" is just the manufacturer who added a protection circuit and/or wrapped the OEM cell for retail use. Another tidbit, Panasonic owns Sanyo now.

-Garry
    Thank you for that insight .
    The reason I asked is bc I might try to run two light units on my bar with a MS Y adaptor / one battery pack .

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by C.M.S View Post
    Thank you for that insight .
    The reason I asked is bc I might try to run two light units on my bar with a MS Y adaptor / one battery pack .

Hi!

I just did that yesterday with two Solarstorm X2 clones and a set of four protected 2600 mAh Sanyo 18650 batteries within a Pannovo case with little success. Lights went to power save mode in no time, I assume the voltage drops too much. The original battery pack that came with the lights did work in the same task, but I doubt the burn time would be anything useful.

About the Pannovo case, Buyalleasy refunded my month old order of one looking the same just today with no further information, seems like they are not available anymore despite being in stock at the time of placing the order.

Happy trails!

JK

mtbr member
    There a difference between Sanyo battery packs vs panasonics ? I notice that the Sanyo mah ratings are lower ( 5800 vs 6400-6800) so I take it panasonics generally give longer run times ?
    Adding to what Garry said ( who was spot on ) there are other batteries as well ( like the Sanyo's ) that have different voltage/current curves when used in single cell applications.
    Other than some of the IMR type cells that have better current discharge capabilities Panasonic is starting to address this issue by offering some "hybrid" versions of their previous NCR offerings. Check out these Panasonic 2900's over on Orbtronic. Very interesting. I was thinking of buying a couple of these myself ( for torch use ).

If you're powering two lamps ( with multiple emitters on each lamp ) it's no surprise that the voltage is going to drop rapidly. Your best bet in that application would be to use better capacity cells in a 6-cell or a larger Li-po battery.

I own three higher capacity batteries myself. When my Solarstorm XT40 arrives and the other 6-up Chinese lamp I ordered I will test these out to see how long they will power the lamps and then report back.

Just Ride !
    Adding to what Garry said ( who was spot on ) there are other batteries as well ( like the Sanyo's ) that have different voltage/current curves when used in single cell applications.
    Other than some of the IMR type cells that have better current discharge capabilities Panasonic is starting to address this issue by offering some "hybrid" versions of their previous NCR offerings. Check out these Panasonic 2900's over on Orbtronic. Very interesting. I was thinking of buying a couple of these myself ( for torch use ).

If you're powering two lamps ( with multiple emitters on each lamp ) it's no surprise that the voltage is going to drop rapidly. Your best bet in that application would be to use better capacity cells in a 6-cell or a larger Li-po battery.

I own three higher capacity batteries myself. When my Solarstorm XT40 arrives and the other 6-up Chinese lamp I ordered I will test these out to see how long they will power the lamps and then report back.
    Much appreciated on your insight and advise in that Cat , thank you .
    Been thinking about getting this
    Panasonic NCR18650B 7 4V 10200mAh Protected Li ion Battery for Bike Light 2S3PM | eBay

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    These Xeccon batteries look pretty nice, comes with a nice soft case, shipped from the US... great price.

Xeccon Panasonic 4-cell 6800mAh Ultimate Li-ion Battery
    Hi all, we currently have a handful of Panasonic 4-cell 6800mAh ready to ship from Colorado. Comes with square to round
    5.5 x 2.1DC connector adaptor cable. We had to adjust the price a little due to double handling and shipping. Free shipping over USD 68 delivered via USPS within ConUS 2-3 days.

Also please consider our other batteries like the Samsung 4-cell 5200mAh and 6-cell 7800 in hard or soft shell.
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Cold weather has come, so my truck battery decides to give me a bad time. Flushing battery since plates look good, but D-water is low. Hope this works and can charge it to needed cold weather cranking Amps and not have to splurge on new truck battery.

Any suggestions would be great!
    Goodbye '95 ZJ. Just so you know, transfering box of left behind womens panties to next truck. Thank you ZJ!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxmark View Post
    Cold weather has come, so my truck battery decides to give me a bad time. Flushing battery since plates look good, but D-water is low. Hope this works and can charge it to needed cold weather cranking Amps and not have to splurge on new truck battery.

Any suggestions would be great!
    The colder the climate you live in the more important it is to have a good battery set-up on your vehicle. Good rule of thumb; after 5 years replace the battery.

In you don't have a sealed battery you can check ( and fill ) the fluids. Next important step is to make sure the positive and negative poles are clean and the cables are clear of oxidation. Spray a little WD-40 on the terminals when done to dissipate any water. If you still have doubts take the battery down to the local parts store and ask to borrow a battery tester.

Anyway, thanks for your post. It helped remind me that my car battery is near five years old and I have a feeling it is going to be a really cold winter. I might drop in a new battery just for the hell of it. Last thing I need to hear at 3:00 in the morning is, ...rrrruh....rrrruh....rrrruh.....click,click, click, click,click.......Yep, we've probably all been there before.

Just Ride !
    I have a Gemini Olympia 2100 on the way (light head only) and Jim @ action highly recomended a 6 cell . Can't I get away with a 6800 mah 4 cell pack from hunk_lee and have great run time ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I have a Gemini Olympia 2100 on the way (light head only) and Jim @ action highly recomended a 6 cell . Can't I get away with a 6800 mah 4 cell pack from hunk_lee and have great run time ?
    Assuming your light eats as much power as my Gloworm XS 2200 then you should be able to get about 2 hrs if you switching it high for the fun stuff and low for the climbs. I just ordered an 8cell 13600 mah(long style) for my XS so I can get in some 4-5hr night rides. I'll use the 6800 for my gloworm x2 1500 which normally only gets run at 70% for the fun stuff so it lasts a long time.

Just Ride !
    Quote Originally Posted by RojoRacing53 View Post
    Assuming your light eats as much power as my Gloworm XS 2200 then you should be able to get about 2 hrs if you switching it high for the fun stuff and low for the climbs. I just ordered an 8cell 13600 mah(long style) for my XS so I can get in some 4-5hr night rides. I'll use the 6800 for my gloworm x2 1500 which normally only gets run at 70% for the fun stuff so it lasts a long time.
    What's your run times on the x2 with the 6800 ? I'm going to get that light next most likely .

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    What's your run times on the x2 with the 6800 ? I'm going to get that light next most likely .
    Hard to say since I only ever run it with a 4400 or 5600 and I'm always switching the intensity every change in trail(love the remote button). I'd say up to 3hrs with the 5600 would be a good guess.

Just Ride !
    Hard to say since I only ever run it with a 4400 or 5600 and I'm always switching the intensity every change in trail(love the remote button). I'd say up to 3hrs with the 5600 would be a good guess.

Btw , your custom lenses for the xs looks bad ass !

mtbr member
    I can't see why not. You just have to remember that no matter what battery you get if you run the highest mode full time you aren't going to get great run times. The Olympia includes a variable 10-level sub menu for custom setting the modes. This means you can set low and medium to levels that not only suit your preferences but also to levels that can extend run time if you so choose. Like most people you will choose the maximum output for high. If you buy the Hunk Lee battery you might not like the standard connector. Not sure if he can substitute a normal MS type connector but if you order one you might want to ask first. ( * I have no axe to grind against the HL batteries but I'd rather have a Xeccon battery set to go with proper connectors and weather proofing/battery bag ready to go for a few buck$ more. )

The suggestion to buy a good six cell battery is only warranted if you tend to run higher levels of output when not really needed. Looking over the Xeccon website they have a 7800mAh 6-cell using Samsung cells for around $48 USD. ( super deal IMO ) If they have these at their Co. shipping center you could have it in less than a week. They also have a 6-cell using the best Panasonics but those might not be available in the USA.. .My opinion though is if you use a battery at least 6000mAh or over you should be fine if you're doing typical 3 hr night rides and switching only to the highest output for the fast stuff.

mtbr member
    Not sure what you consider great run times but my olympia when new (with fresh batteries) would go 2:20 on a 5200 (4 cell) and 4:00 on a 7800 (6 cell) [Gemini batteries]. My Guess for the HL 6800 would be approx 3:30.
    Mole

Just Ride !
    I can't see why not. You just have to remember that no matter what battery you get if you run the highest mode full time you aren't going to get great run times. The Olympia includes a variable 10-level sub menu for custom setting the modes. This means you can set low and medium to levels that not only suit your preferences but also to levels that can extend run time if you so choose. Like most people you will choose the maximum output for high. If you buy the Hunk Lee battery you might not like the standard connector. Not sure if he can substitute a normal MS type connector but if you order one you might want to ask first. ( * I have no axe to grind against the HL batteries but I'd rather have a Xeccon battery set to go with proper connectors and weather proofing/battery bag ready to go for a few buck$ more. )

The suggestion to buy a good six cell battery is only warranted if you tend to run higher levels of output when not really needed. Looking over the Xeccon website they have a 7800mAh 6-cell using Samsung cells for around $48 USD. ( super deal IMO ) If they have these at their Co. shipping center you could have it in less than a week. They also have a 6-cell using the best Panasonics but those might not be available in the USA.. .My opinion though is if you use a battery at least 6000mAh or over you should be fine if you're doing typical 3 hr night rides and switching only to the highest output for the fast stuff.
    Is the xeccon battery good to go out of the box connector wise , or do I need to specify what I have (Gemini) ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    It will come with a adapter that fits perfectly with Gemini. Great battery!
    Is the xeccon battery good to go out of the box connector wise , or do I need to specify what I have (Gemini) ?

Just Ride !
    Just ordered a Xeccon 7800

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Prolly wrong thread but U guys (and girls) know the run time on the X2 w/ the 2 cell battery. I'm thinking of retiring the 501b Ultrafire and upgrading to the X2 but only if I run the battery attached to the helmet as well. Looks like the sell different set ups w/ the 2 cell. Is there a light head clone to the X2.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mb323323 View Post
    Prolly wrong thread but U guys (and girls) know the run time on the X2 w/ the 2 cell battery. I'm thinking of retiring the 501b Ultrafire and upgrading to the X2 but only if I run the battery attached to the helmet as well. Looks like the sell different set ups w/ the 2 cell. Is there a light head clone to the X2.
    mb; What drop-in are you using in your 501B? I know it's off topic but depending on what you say I'll send you a PM if I think I might have a better solution for you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    My 501B is an XML U2. I actually really like it but have had 2 now and both flicker but I think that's because the battery is not fitting correct. And the real run time is about 30 min+ a few for the real high setting. And that's with Panasonics 3400's however, those might be fake. I just don't really know.

I was going to just buy a new one w/ the XML2 and purchase 2 new batteries from a better source, a way cheaper option as I am a big fan of no wires on the helmet. However, I was thinking X2 as I saw one in person the other day and was quite impressed.

Thx for the help.

MB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mb323323 View Post
    My 501B is an XML U2. I actually really like it but have had 2 now and both flicker but I think that's because the battery is not fitting correct. And the real run time is about 30 min+ a few for the real high setting. And that's with Panasonics 3400's however, those might be fake. I just don't really know.

I was going to just buy a new one w/ the XML2 and purchase 2 new batteries from a better source, a way cheaper option as I am a big fan of no wires on the helmet. However, I was thinking X2 as I saw one in person the other day and was quite impressed.

Thx for the help.

MB
    I've tried the dedicated bike light with two-cell approach on the helmet before and just couldn't get used to the weight. It can work if you can handle the additional weight of the batteries.

About the 501b; Yes I've had problems as well running the better Panasonics. I think the problem lies in the fact that the Panasonics I have are all flat top batteries. I can get them to work but I really have to fiddle with them. If I use "button top" cells have no problems.

I was going to suggest getting a true, "3-mode" XM-L2 drop-in from Customlites. The only problem with the Customlite drop-ins is that they might not work well with your 501b torch host. It turns out there are two kinds of 501-b hosts; One with a plastic insert between the drop-in and battery and one without. You need the one "without" in order to run the better Customlite drop-ins. Problem is finding the host without the insert. I actually have both but I found the host without the insert on Manafont. Sadly, Manafont no longer exist. You can buy 501-B hosts almost anywhere but they don't specify if they have the insert or not. Lighthound might have them "without" but you might have to ask if you can't tell from the photo.

I know how you feel about your 3400's. I recent bought a couple 3100's on sale and when they came they look so much different than the others I have. Seems they put a clear plastic coating on the cells now. I have a real hard time getting these cells to work properly in any of my torches. They work but sometimes I really have to fight with them which is a real PITA. Next time I buy separate cells I might look for the "button top" versions which never gave me any problems.

( * Nice thing about the Customlite drop-ins is that you get to chose the reflector , the driver type and the LED. The only thing I didn't like was that the reflector they gave me me a horrible beam pattern so I used one of my old reflectors which gave me a much better beam pattern for bike use. Unfortunately the Customlite drop-ins are not cheap. ) Hope this is helpful.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    There are so many types of single-18650 XM-L torches available nowadays, with good thermal management and compact size... Why use ancient 50x designed for halogen bulbs, with inferior cooling, and have additional troubles finding & modifying dropins?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by robs31 View Post
    Got my packs from Hunk Lee (2S1P 3400, 2S2P 6200) and yes, the balancing leads were not in the correct order. I would like to note that I had previously purchased some balancing leads elsewhere that were also not in the correct order, so not sure what the deal is. The good thing is it's an easy fix. Simply pull the pins out of the connecter and put them back in the correct order, no need to open the pack and resolder. I tested the capacity of both packs and they were close to the stated capacity. My charger discharged them down to 3.1v per cell and then charging stops at 8.2v, so obviously not the full range, but gave me a good indication of where they would be with a full charge. I requested the packs come with the new screw type connectors. I also requested that he add the male end of the connector so I could change out my lights plugs, and he included them and the balancing leads at no extra cost. The packs were packaged very well and arrived in 3 weeks to California through Singapore post. Overall I'm very pleased with the product and the service. Would surely recommend if your looking for a pack.
    So ordering from Hunk Lee like 7 months later i get this 2s2p battery pack. I wasn't expecting the extra leads. I suppose that for another type of charger? I order the generic magic shine lights http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and have the generic charger that attaches to the plug.

1) Can I charge these batteries with that charger?
    2) Is there a way to test it is balanced correctly without dismanteling the connector? That connector looks pretty stuck in (see pic).
    3) What recs do you have to a good li po charger?

Thanks,
    UA
    The Battery Thread: 2013-photo-dec-01-9-22-31-pm.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Ordered a set of batteries from hucklee on the 13th and got them here in CA today. Nice quality wire with an odd screw style connector and opposing male connector with bare leads incase I want to modify my headlight to this style connector. I'll pasti-dip the packs to water proof them. I'll use the magic shine rubber battery straps on the large pack secure it to the bike. For the small pack some simple velcro to my road bike steering stem should be enough for commuting.

The Battery Thread: 2013-76e8b5a5-dc4a-49e3-bc6b-9fe8570d0a95_zps2iofqlq3.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Anyone have experience with this particular battery from Hunk Lee?

Rechargeale Li ion Battery 7 4V 9AH for MagicShine LED Bike Light Waterproof F | eBay

mtbr member
    Rojo-13.6 holy sh1t......

E-rawk- I'm sure it will perform well. Damn good price...

You can email hunk lee and he can ship out a battery without any additional leads!!! Good quailty packs from hunk Lee.....
    "PLEASE LORD FORBID THEM FROM ENTERING, FORGIVE US FOR THEY SHALL NEVER LEAVE"

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks Gharddog03! Got 4 MJ-808-L2 bodies, a couple helmet mounts,wide angle lenses and some extra cables headed my way as well as 6 of those batteries.

I never thought I would regret my wife getting into mountain biking, but now I've realized I just have to double my order on EVERYTHING. All in all though, its pretty awesome. Now to figure out how to mount those Hunk Lee batteries on the bikes for the bar lights....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Rawk View Post
    Anyone have experience with this particular battery from Hunk Lee?

Rechargeale Li ion Battery 7 4V 9AH for MagicShine LED Bike Light Waterproof F | eBay
    Well, after reading your last post about buying 4 of the 808-L2's, why would you want this battery? That thing is a brick! The person buying that battery is likely powering a lamp with a true 5000 lumen output! Your best bet is to buy 4 good 4-cell set-ups and yes Hunk Lee sells those too. If you run a 5200mAh battery with a single emitter lamp you should be good for close to 3hrs. Since you need the battery bags for frame use I would buy at least two of those sets from MTBrevolution since their *5200mAh Samsung batteries ( soft pouch ) come with a really nice frame pouch for the battery. *They also are priced very well too. The other two batteries, since they are for the helmet lamps, don't really need a pouch if you're holding them in a hydration backpack.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Well I just pulled the shrink warp off my 2cell pack I revived last night to check the cells individually for ballance after their first full charge. 4.051v on the first and 4.051v on the second, well I guess I can't ask for better then that

Is that unusually balanced or the norm for a hunklee battery pack with Panasonic cells? I'm wondering if I should even bother pulling the wrap off the 8 cell pack to check it. What do you guys think?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Cat,

The big cells are more for bikepacking and night races as well as some overnight rides that I have planned in the coming year. The group I ride with will often start a gravel century around 6pm and ride all night. Plus I figure theres no kill like overkill.

mtbr member
    Plus I figure there's no kill like overkill.
    Damn Straight! Nothing succeeds like excess!

Just Ride !
    Cat,

The big cells are more for bikepacking and night races as well as some overnight rides that I have planned in the coming year. The group I ride with will often start a gravel century around 6pm and ride all night. Plus I figure theres no kill like overkill.
    The more the better

Have you seen this one ?

Panasonic NCR18650B 7 4V 10200mAh Protected Li ion Battery for Bike Light 2S3PM | eBay

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Ok so I need a little education from the experts. When I bought my first high end lightset(lupine betty) years ago it came with a trick little smart charger then would start the charge at 2.5amps and as the battery would reach capacity it would ramp down to as little as 0.1amps to top it off. Last year when I bought my current Gloworm lights I bought a nice hobby charger that does the same thing as my lupine charger but has more adjustments and range. I was also led to believe larger batteries or maybe packs can handle a larger current draw. So when cranking up that Betty to full power your going to want at least a 4 cell pack to handle the amp draw. I've also seen max charge current in the spec pages of battery packs and they seem to vary but I've never really pay much attention to the correlation.

So the actual question I have is should you charge a 7.2v 3600mah pack at a lower current then a 7.2v 13600mah pack? The reason I'm asking is that 13600mah 8cell pack took 5hrs to charge at 2.5A and it was only half empty. If I can safely with no ill effects bump up the current to say 5A and let my smart charger ramp down from there as it sees fit then that'll cut my charge time in half.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Li-ion Charging Rate

Hello!

Charge and discharge rates of over 1 C increase capacity fade of Panasonic 2900 mAh Li-ion NCR 18650 cells significantly according to a NASA test. I would not worry of a 5 A charge current with a 13.6 Ah battery pack.

Good rides!

JK

mtbr member
    Here's a good selection of batteries.

items in store on eBay!

mtbr member
    Cat,

Yes, I assumed as much, however.... Assuming you typically do shorter rides; How much run time do you actually need for those "typical night rides? The point I'm making is that it makes more sense to buy smaller battery packs but more of them. That way when you do your typical rides you have batteries that weigh less and can be split up to use any which way you want ( bar light-helmet light-loaners to friends...etc ). I understand you like the idea of over-kill, but truthfully, how much overkill do you need for your typical rides?

There are other advantages to doing it this way.

1) smaller batteries charge faster. If you have a charger for each battery this will speed up prep time.

2) For your century you can still mount multiple smaller batteries to your frame even if they aren't plugged in so really it is no difference...however...when you run the first battery to depletion you will know just how long the next battery will last IF they are the same Ah rating ( **assuming you rotate your batteries during the year so they all see equal use during your typical rides. )

Anyway, to me it just makes more sense. Why buy a huge ( heavy ) battery that will likely only be used for the century-all-nighter? Certainly it would make no sense to use a battery like that on a typical 3hr night ride when a good 4-cell will do it without problem ( for most people ). That would be like filling a 2 liter hydration bladder to the brim with water to do a 2hr ride, who would do that ( unless you live in a desert )? Lastly, two 4-cell 5200mAh batteries are equal to 10.4 Ah. Two 4-cell 6800mAh ( Panasonic ) batteries are equal to 13.6 Ah. Not to mention you could also make a Y-connector and run two packs ( in parallel ) at the same time. Anyway, I'm just throwing these ideas out there as food for thought.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Yes, I assumed as much, however.... Assuming you typically do shorter rides; How much run time do you actually need for those "typical night rides? The point I'm making is that it makes more sense to buy smaller battery packs but more of them. That way when you do your typical rides you have batteries that weigh less and can be split up to use any which way you want ( bar light-helmet light-loaners to friends...etc ). I understand you like the idea of over-kill, but truthfully, how much overkill do you need for your typical rides?

There are other advantages to doing it this way.

1) smaller batteries charge faster. If you have a charger for each battery this will speed up prep time.

2) For your century you can still mount multiple smaller batteries to your frame even if they aren't plugged in so really it is no difference...however...when you run the first battery to depletion you will know just how long the next battery will last IF they are the same Ah rating ( **assuming you rotate your batteries during the year so they all see equal use during your typical rides. )

Anyway, to me it just makes more sense. Why buy a huge ( heavy ) battery that will likely only be used for the century-all-nighter? Certainly it would make no sense to use a battery like that on a typical 3hr night ride when a good 4-cell will do it without problem ( for most people ). That would be like filling a 2 liter hydration bladder to the brim with water to do a 2hr ride, who would do that ( unless you live in a desert )? Lastly, two 4-cell 5200mAh batteries are equal to 10.4 Ah. Two 4-cell 6800mAh ( Panasonic ) batteries are equal to 13.6 Ah. Not to mention you could also make a Y-connector and run two packs ( in parallel ) at the same time. Anyway, I'm just throwing these ideas out there as food for thought.
    Yeah I agree with what cat is saying and it's what I've always done. The only reason I went with the 13600 pack is for a bit of simplicity on the longer rides but mostly for my 24hr racing. In the 24hr races you after you exhausted you body in the first 12hrs stopping for just a few minutes will drop your body tempeture tremendously so if you can keep your pit stop shorter by just a minute or two it will make things more plesant. I know it sounds like splitting hairs but I've done a lot of endurance a races and once I figured out how to get my total stopped time down to less then 3 mins in a 12hr and less then 30 on a 24hr I found my resulting performance gains were huge.

But don't worry to much on what packs you buy now because batteries for MTBers are like shoes for women, you can never have to many

mtbr member

Hunk Lee batteries: Solarstorm and Magicshine Connectors

Quote Originally Posted by Gharddog03 View Post
    Here's a good selection of batteries.

items in store on eBay!
    In keeping with the subject of the Hunk Lee batteries:

I noticed in the HL e-bay store front that he does sell the Solarstorm type connectors. This means if you request it, he can put one of these on the battery you want ( if you need the threaded female connector ). On the other hand I don't see a "standard Magicshine type connector" ( with rubber sleeves ). He does however have a type of connector that is similar. I believe these are what he usually puts on the battery if you don't specify.

Since I have a couple of the cheap Solarstorm type batteries ( Chinese ) I decided tonight to try to use one with a standard ( male ) Magicshine type connector. Interestingly the two seem to work together without too much problem. To make it work I was able to slide the male ( MS ) end into the hard plastic outer piece of the female SStorm side. It actually fits quite tightly, so tightly in fact that I am able to let the lamp hang by the wire without coming apart, even when I shake it. The only lamp not able to work with the SS connector was my Manta Ray D003 which has a slightly longer male end. As such if Hunk Lee doesn't have the true MS connectors I think I'd rather order the SStorm type ( which seems to work better than his standard connectors ). Just keep in mind that if you do use the SS female side with male MS that eventually the plastic might stretch and become loose over time. Add to that there is no guarantee that water can't get into the connection as there is no rubber shielding. More food for thought.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    Hello!

Charge and discharge rates of over 1 C increase capacity fade of Panasonic 2900 mAh Li-ion NCR 18650 cells significantly according to a NASA test. I would not worry of a 5 A charge current with a 13.6 Ah battery pack.

Good rides!

JK
    Thanks for the reply
    So after some research I figured out what "C" means for each differnent sized battery.

C is generally the capacity divided by 1 hour, so for my 13600mha(13.6Ah) battery it would be 13.6 amps . Hence eg. 'charge at 1C' can be stated, independent from the capacity of a battery. So I'll lay a few examples out for those of you that aren't so good at algerbra.

4400mah(4.4Ah): 1c=4.4A
    5600mah(5.6Ah): 1c=5.6A
    6800mAh(6.8Ah): 1c=6.8A, 0.5c=3.6A, 0.75c=5.1A
    13600mAh(13.6Ah): 1c=13.6A, 0.5c=6.8A

So if the limit is 1c then we can assume anything less is extra safe at preserving your battery performance in the long run. So if I charge my batteries at 0.5c which is only half of the maximum recommended then that would be a charge rate of 6.8A on my 13600mAh battery and 3.6A on my 6800mAh batteries.

All this is fine and dandy but keep in mind these little 22ga and sometimes small battery lead and charger lead wires can only handle around 5A or current(I could be off) so exceeding that would also not be recommended.

mtbr member
    In reference to above ^^. ; From what I've read about Li-ion batteries...

A single standard 18650 (3.7 volt ) cell can be safely charged at around 1A. However it is usually recommended to charge at around 500ma ( or 0.05A ) per cell. For standard cells less is better as this helps the cell not to age as fast.

Regardless you can charge Li-ion cells at a higher rate. I forget now what the safe maximum is ( maybe 2A per cell ) but you have to know that doing so will age the cell very fast if you do it on a regular basis. That said there are people who fast charge their batteries, particularly racers if they don't have lots of back up batteries. There are hobby chargers that will fast charge a battery but usually there is a limit to the number of cells depending on the charger. Personally I have no desire to fast charge as I'm usually in no hurry.

Battery technology is slowly changing. More Li-ion batteries are beginning to use hybrid technologies. This said the current standards will likely change and charging times will eventually become safer for faster charging.
    ( I'm not a battery Guru per say but this what I've read about from people who seem to know what they're talking about. )

Just Ride !
    I used a cheap Chinese (good 6 cell) pack on my new Gemini light head and the connection come to find out was loose and in turn would make the light flicker and turn off , had to take a small piece of paper , fold it some and wedge it in the pack connector to make it tight with good connection before I hit the trail head ( not ideal at all) so I'm wondering if the HL packs use the same as the cheap Chinese ones .
    My other pack however is a Xeccon ( 6800 6 cell ) . The connection on that is rock solid very snug .
    So with all that said I would highly recomend looking into Xeccon packs at mtbrevolution ! About the same price as HL's and best of all when I ordered my Xeccon ( on a Saturday) I had it in Hand by Tuesday ..

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Li-ion Health Concerns

So if the limit is 1c then we can assume anything less is extra safe at preserving your battery performance in the long run. So if I charge my batteries at 0.5c which is only half of the maximum recommended then that would be a charge rate of 6.8A on my 13600mAh battery and 3.6A on my 6800mAh batteries.
    Hey!

To be extra safe with capacity preservation I would go down to C/5, one fifth of 1 C, charge rate, that's where the capacity fade seems to level out if you look at the NASA test paper page 11. To boot there are few other things to note in keeping Li-ion cells healthy. Battery University has a nice article of Li-ion battery care taking. Avoiding deep discharges, fridge storing and partial charge off-season storing are easy to arrange and extend Li-ion battery service life.

Enjoyable night rides!

JK
    Last edited by <JK>; 12-07-2014 at 02:41 AM. Reason: Edited for clarity.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    Hey!

To be extra safe with capacity preservation I would go down to C/5 charge rate, that's where the capacity fade seems to level out if you look at the NASA test paper page 11. To boot there are few other things to note in keeping Li-ion cells healthy. Battery University has a nice article of Li-ion battery care taking. Avoiding deep discharges, fridge storing and partial charge off-season storing are easy to arrange and extend Li-ion battery service life.

Enjoyable night rides!

JK
    Not sure but C/5 seems to mean something totally different then 1C or even 5C. That nasa data is confusing since there's no explanation of what C/5, C/10, C/1 even mean. Unless they mean something odd like C=1C and C/5 is like 1C divided by 5 so it's like 0.2C. I'm just guessing at this point.

mtbr member
    If you have a charger for each battery this will speed up prep time.
    Anyone who has been buying CCC(cheepchineescrap) for the last couple of years, like moi...

Will have a whole drawer full of chargers...

The Battery Thread: 2013-fullsizerender-31-.jpg

Just Ride !
    Will this Action LED Lights - Brilliant lighting for all your biking & outdoor sporting activities. work for normal common batteries ?
    I have 6 cell packs so just wanted a faster charge time than the 1.8's action sells .

But then again I still have one of those wall chargers the cheapo's come with ..

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks Gharddog03! Got 4 MJ-808-L2 bodies, a couple helmet mounts,wide angle lenses and some extra cables headed my way as well as 6 of those batteries.

I never thought I would regret my wife getting into mountain biking, but now I've realized I just have to double my order on EVERYTHING. All in all though, its pretty awesome. Now to figure out how to mount those Hunk Lee batteries on the bikes for the bar lights....
    Here's how I mounted my 13600mAh pack under the bottle cages with the Magicshine Rubber battery straps from ActionLed. You'll notice I also pasti-dipped my packs to waterproof them. This keep the extra weight lower on the bike and away from the top tube where your knees are passing by, I tend to catch the straps when pedalling out of the saddle and just looks cleaner. The Battery Thread: 2013-6123e025-df23-4abf-bc51-ae5634f7ffa7_zps7nfzj8ug.jpg
    The Battery Thread: 2013-37b18e44-e6e0-4b41-9902-aa9da51f9740_zpsartkyjq0.jpg

mtbr member
    Looks good Rojo. Are the straps tight enough around the battery??

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharddog03 View Post
    Looks good Rojo. Are the straps tight enough around the battery??
    If you notice the grey between the strap and battery that's 3m double sided tape( same used for gopro mounts. You need a little extra on the OD which these bare battery packs. They fit perfect on the magicshine and gloworm packs as well as others I'm sure. They are surprisingly stretchable so you can even fit a 6 cell pack into these 4 cell straps. The 6 cell straps work good for bare 8 cell packs in the wide configuration.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    You'll notice I also pasti-dipped my packs to waterproof them..

Name:	37B18E44-E6E0-4B41-9902-AA9DA51F9740_zpsartkyjq0.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	944417
    Looks great! Did you dip or spray?

mtbr member
    I just tore down a battery pack which shows wrong configuration (end has 1 positive and 3 negatives). Upon further investigation I believe 2 of the cells are dummy cells! Just measure 0.00v across them! This is a typical cheap Chinese pack that came with a light.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Makes you wonder what some sellers are thinking? You get the light with a cheap battery, the light doesn't work, you complain to eBay and get the light for free. Or the seller has to resend a better battery? With the time to file a complaint extended, it doesn't make sense and it costs the seller money

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Re: The Battery Thread: 2013

Quote Originally Posted by garrybunk View Post
    I just tore down a battery pack which shows wrong configuration (end has 1 positive and 3 negatives). Upon further investigation I believe 2 of the cells are dummy cells! Just measure 0.00v across them! This is a typical cheap Chinese pack that came with a light.

-Garry
    Which battery pack?

mtbr member
    It came with a light GearBest sent me to review. I'll bring it up in the review (hope to post it in the near future.

Oh, and the two working cells are way out of balance (3.64v and 3.95v). Light still performs the same off my Pannova case, other than runtime.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Which light? It truly is a crapshoot with those cheapo battery packs. Thank God for forums like this or the China crapshoot would be much much more of a gamble.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by matto6 View Post
    Looks great! Did you dip or spray?
    Dip
    It goes on super thick but 30 mins later when I starts to dry it all tightens up and becomes rather thin, I used 3 coats.

Just Ride !
    Looks like a nice light ..

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Does anyone have any experience with this particular battery?

Action-LED-Lights — MJ-6008 2200mAh Waterproof Battery

It's the Magicshine MJ-6008. A 2 cell 2200mAh pack, says it uses BAK(Bikeray?) cells. I just pieced together my first light setup after lurking here the past couple weeks and was hoping this battery will serve me well for my first setup. I ended up pre-ordering the "new" Yinding light head, and got this battery to run it. My night rides would be just a quick loop or two around my local spot, in my mind I was thinking 90 minutes of run time should be plenty for my needs(most of my riding is done during the day, night rides are more of a novelty thing, not a necessity for me). I'm pretty set on a 2 cell setup so I can mount the battery and lamp on my helmet without feelings completely like a bobblehead. From the pictures, the battery seems well made, although I know it's really what's inside that counts. So just wanted to ask if anyone had any first hand experience, or if someone more knowledgeable on the subject than I, could give me a rough estimate on run time and an opinion of overall quality of the battery pack. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    BAK cells are quite good ones. Magicshine use them for years. It is true 2200mAh.
    Giving Yinding would run with more than 2A to the leds, you are going to get about 1h runtime on full. Don't know what your trail looks like, but if it is bouncy I don't recomend puting batteries on the helmet. It is another 100gr+ on the head your neck would need to support. On drops this weight multiplies for the moment.

mtbr member
    +1 on what ledoman said. I have one of the 2-cell MS batteries. If you're going to run this with a Yinding lamp it will drain the battery quite fast if you use high most of the time. That said it should run for at least 50-60 on high. If you switch between medium and high and use high only when needed you should be able to get that 90 minutes without too much problem.

The strategy I use when using a "light-weight" helmet setup is to only use the the helmet lamp when needed. When used in combo with a good bar set-up this is no big problem. I can milk a single 18650 cell using a single emitter torch and make it last two hours by just using medium 90% of the time. Than again if you ride with the helmet lamp off and turn the helmet lamp on only when needed ( assuming you have a bar lamp on ) you should be able to prolong the available battery power of the helmet lamp even more.

The 2-cell 2200mah Bak battery should work fine but for most people using a lamp with more than one emiitter I would usually recommend at least a 2600mAh 2-cell battery. The higher the Ah rating the better off you are since you only are using a two cell power source.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks for the replies guys. Good to know I got a quality battery. I did sent mtbrev an email asking about their Xeccon 2 cell 3400mAh pack, only about ten bucks more than the MS and it comes with Panasonic cells. Hopefully they have one in their Colorado facility, 3400mAh on a 2 cell pack would be nice. I can't wait to get everything and start experimenting!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by csermonet View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys. Good to know I got a quality battery. I did sent mtbrev an email asking about their Xeccon 2 cell 3400mAh pack, only about ten bucks more than the MS and it comes with Panasonic cells. Hopefully they have one in their Colorado facility, 3400mAh on a 2 cell pack would be nice. I can't wait to get everything and start experimenting!
    Panasonic NCR18650B 7 4V 3400mAh Protected Li ion Battery for Bike Light 2S1PM | eBay

Just Ride !
    Unfortunately Xeccon doesn't offer panasonic cells for the USA . Just the Sanyo's .

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    That's an awesome deal. I was aware of the Hunk Lee packs, but was weary because I have heard of longgg shipping times from China to the US. I guess now that I have the MS 2200mAh pack to hold me over, I can deal with a long wait time to get a second pack. What would you suggest doing to waterproof the pack?

mtbr member
    Unfortunately Xeccon doesn't offer panasonic cells for the USA . Just the Sanyo's .
    Actually the cells are Samsung ICR 18650 26F's. While these cells don't have the capacity of the Panasonic's they are capable of delivering a decent output current ( up to 5200ma ). I figure these should work well with a small helmet lamp that draws maybe 3A.

If you buy a HunkLee you have to worry about waterproofing the battery and making sure the connectors are compatible. Yes, it can be done but with the Xeccon battery you get a waterproof battery ready to go OTB as long as you aren't using a SStorm lamp. BTW I think the 2-cell Samsung 2600 2-cell is ~ *$20 USD, not a bad price and you get it within days. ( *not sure about shipping cost )

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I've measured Samsung ICR 18650 26F's cells and they are the best price/performance cells on the lower price side. Up to 3A they can deliver true 2500-2600Ah, but they don't behave well over that mark. At 5A discharge curve bounce down and up.
    Since we are mostly using 2S2P packs it can deliver 6A without problem. 2S1P packs can be still good for 2 led lights, but not optimal for more. If I take a look at "KD2" light it pulls 1.7A which is peace of cake for those Samsung cells.

Just Ride !
    Actually the cells are Samsung ICR 18650 26F's. While these cells don't have the capacity of the Panasonic's they are capable of delivering a decent output current ( up to 5200ma ). I figure these should work well with a small helmet lamp that draws maybe 3A.

If you buy a HunkLee you have to worry about waterproofing the battery and making sure the connectors are compatible. Yes, it can be done but with the Xeccon battery you get a waterproof battery ready to go OTB as long as you aren't using a SStorm lamp. BTW I think the 2-cell Samsung 2600 2-cell is ~ *$20 USD, not a bad price and you get it within days. ( *not sure about shipping cost )
    My bad , I meant Samsungs in my previous post not Sanyo .
    I have a Xeccon (Samsung)7800 mah 6 cell pack and I'm very pleased with the run times , I run my Gemini Olympia *1477* off it and can easily ride 2 plus hrs and still be green on the light head button .
    I purchased the soft shell and used 3M wide packing tape and taped the ends and used 3M weather adhesive ( Gorilla Snot) and ran a small bead inside where the wire goes into the shrink wrap to better water proof it .

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I think MTBRevolution occasionally ships the Panasonic batteries to the U.S. The batteries were available as an MTBR special a couple of months ago. I am hoping they get more in sometime soon. The lack of waterproofing of the Hunk Lee batteries scares me. No matter how hard I try it ends up raining during my night rides.

Has anyone tried the 5600 magicshine battery from Action LED. For $56 in a waterproof case it seems like a pretty good deal.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

review of new Solarstorm battery case

Just posted the review of new Solarstorm battery case:
    Review: New "Solarstorm" 2S2P 8.4V "water resistant" 4 x 18650 battery case for bicyc

mtbr member
    We had problems sending the last lot of Panasonic batteries only for the US. We ended up sending sets with 2 batteries per set which are just fulfilling pre-orders. Please contact us if you require these batteries, especially the 4-cell 6800s.

Xeccon only fits Samsung, Panasonic and BAK cells in their batteries. They do not use Sanyo or other branded (or non-branded) cells in their battery packs.

BTW the MS 5600mAh battery is actually only 5200mAh in reality. The particular Samsung ICR18650-28A cells within requires a 8.5V (not the standard 8.4V) charge to get to the maximum capacity. A runtime test will prove this.
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

Just Ride !
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbRevolution View Post
    We had problems sending the last lot of Panasonic batteries only for the US. We ended up sending sets with 2 batteries per set which are just fulfilling pre-orders. Please contact us if you require these batteries, especially the 4-cell 6800s.

Xeccon only fits Samsung, Panasonic and BAK cells in their batteries. They do not use Sanyo or other branded (or non-branded) cells in their battery packs.

BTW the MS 5600mAh battery is actually only 5200mAh in reality. The particular Samsung ICR18650-28A cells within requires a 8.5V (not the standard 8.4V) charge to get to the maximum capacity. A runtime test will prove this.
    I am completely satisfied with your 7800 samsung 6 cell packs ;-)
    However I wouldn't mind a 6800 Panasonic 4 cell pack .

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Re: The Battery Thread: 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisonabike View Post

Has anyone tried the 5600 magicshine battery from Action LED. For $56 in a waterproof case it seems like a pretty good deal.
    I've used these for the last year to power my helmet and bar lights. They've performed great, and I really like the mounting system - works great for mounting on the stem. I ride at night a lot, so have 120+ charge cycles on the batteries and they are still holding up fine with no major reduction in capacity.

On the Hunk Lee batteries, I notice many are advertised as " waterproof". Does that not mean they'd hold up to a little water exposure? I understand the connectors aren't as secure, but they guy seems to be reputable and has a track record of delivering what he advertised, so I'm curious as to what his definition of "waterproof" is....

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I know ledoman commented on the price/performance ratio for the Samsung cells a few posts back. I've seen it in other threads too.

The Tim Taylor-esc "More Power" side of me was screaming "But I was a pack with the Panasonics 3400 cells!"

This afternoon I actually priced it out. You can get four Samsung 2600 cells for under $16. That would make a 5200 pack. Four 3400s are $33.40 and would make a 6800 pack.

With the volume discount, eight Samsungs are $29.48, and would give you 10400 mAh of juice. That's quite a cost savings over the Panasonics, with a lot more power for less money. Either carried as four spare cells, or spend another $10 for a second SolarStorm BC-02 and you'd be golden with many hours of night riding goodness. With a second battery box, you've got backup redundancy too! With the new Yinding purchase, one of my current lights will become the backup lighthead in the pack.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbRevolution View Post
    Yes Samsung 2800 and 3000mAh cells are 4.35V not 4.20V. In order to get full capacity you need to charge them higher. In the pack this would be 8.70V. Now if you have standard protection circuit it would not allow you to charge it that high. On the other hand those cell would have longer lifecycle as they are only aprox. 90% charged.

mtbr member
    That's an awesome deal. I was aware of the Hunk Lee packs, but was weary because I have heard of longgg shipping times from China to the US. I guess now that I have the MS 2200mAh pack to hold me over, I can deal with a long wait time to get a second pack. What would you suggest doing to waterproof the pack?
    You can wrap them with self-fusing silicone tape (Home Depot).
    I do that then armour them with some heat-shrink tubing.
    Plasti-dip would work too, but is messy and toxic to breathe so it's an outdoor job. I actually paint the open ends of the heat-shrink sealed battery with a bit of plasti-dip for double sealing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    None of them!! Get the Hunk lee from ebay.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    None of them!! Get the Hunk lee from ebay.
    Yes ^

mtbr member
    Or at least get the Solar Storm battery case, some good name brand protected cells (unless you are familiar with dangers of li-ions), and a good name brand charger.

Probably easiest to go the Hunk Lee route though. Just be sure to get a proper Li-ion charger to go with it.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Get the charger from Actionledlights.com. The Gemini charger Is what I use.

mtbr member
    Has anybody ever tried to use the rubber cover that comes with some cheapo battery packs to waterproof a decent one?

I would be very interested if we could buy these rubber covers separately for 4-cell and especially 2-cell battery packs. It would solve a lot of problems.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I would say those rubber covers are usable. I have only one from HD-016. You would need to desolder cable from the PCB, pull it through the hole and solder it again. The cable should be thick enough (anyway).

Would you try to find those covers and protection circuits for cheap?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Ofroad'bent View Post
    I would be very interested if we could buy these rubber covers separately for 4-cell
    They were available on eBay for some time:
    New Waterproof 2S2P Battery Pack Bag 4X 18650 XML 2 U2 T6 Bike Light Headlight | eBay

Probably, it's possible to find them from other sources, too...

mtbr member
    The battery rubber covers are no longer available on eBay, and don't seem to be around elsewhere.

Anybody know if you can get the casing off this one for re-use?
    MJ-6008 7.4V 2200mAh BAK Lithium-Ion Battery | Magicshine Canada

mtbr member
    The battery rubber covers are no longer available on eBay, and don't seem to be around elsewhere.

Anybody know if you can get the casing off this one for re-use?
    MJ-6008 7.4V 2200mAh BAK Lithium-Ion Battery | Magicshine Canada
    Oh cat crap, I've got one of those somewhere but can't find it at the moment. I also have a Xeccon 2-cell version and yes you can open it up.

My gut tells me that logically the MS version is the same because there has to be a way to get the battery inside. I'm sure they don't mold the rubber with the battery inside..

I never thought about using the rubber cover on these batteries before for another battery. That's an interesting idea. I'm gonna put that on a back burner if I decide to go HLee 4-cell....and speaking of HLee...>

...Has anyone done a discharge comparison using any of the Hunk Lee batteries. I'm just wondering since so many people seem to be buying the HLee batteries. Dang it, I need to get me a hobby charger with a discharge/Ah readout function.

mtbr member
    Dang it, I need to get me a hobby charger with a discharge/Ah readout function.
    I JUST got me a new hobby charger for Christmas and am learning how to use it, BUT I don't own any Hunk Lee batteries! At this point I can't even be certain my discharge results are accurate - I will be doing more testing soon. I would be willing to test a battery pack or two if someone wants to mail theirs to me.

-Garry

mtbr member
    I tested some of the Hunk Lee packs made with Panasonic 3400s and they were very close to the capacity listed.

I wish Hunk Lee could sell the rubber casings as well- then we'd really have something easy for the less DIY types rather than plasti-dip or wrapping in self-fusing silicone tape then heat-shrink.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yea, I just Plasti-dip my H-Lee 4 cell Pan. 3400. It takes about 3 dippings to seal really good. The great thing about the dip it does not add a lot of thickness to battery, so putting it in my backpack is easy and space saving.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    This is my new favorite 2 cell battery it came with the Fenix BT20 light I just got off ebay for 51 bucks. I wanted to try the Fenix lights but I really wanted that 2 cell battery case so I could try my new Callie's Kustoms 3600MAH cells. These cells kick ass, 2 hours on high last night ride with no problem. This 2 cell combo will out perform some 4 cell packs, but you will pay for them "pricey". I wish I could find a good 4 cell case then just add your own cells.
    The Fenix light by the way is really nice, well made but heavy. The bottom base has a nice built in swivel. Its definitely a true 750 Lumen light, maybe more. Jim at Actionled also sells this light.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Battery Thread: 2013-p1060777.jpg  

The Battery Thread: 2013-p1060783.jpg  

mtbr member
    Yea, I just Plasti-dip my H-Lee 4 cell Pan. 3400. It takes about 3 dippings to seal really good. The great thing about the dip it does not add a lot of thickness to battery, so putting it in my backpack is easy and space saving.
    What did you wrap it in first- anything for strain relief or a pre-coat?
    Plasti-dip stinks and is toxic to breathe indoors, so hard to do in Canada in winter, even though it works really well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    No need to do anything but dip it, I just dunk it in slow-out slow. Let dry over night, than 2nd and 3rd time. Totally sealed and waterproof. Hunk Lee does a great job making the battery. Especially for the price, quality of build and cells.

mtbr member
    No need to do anything but dip it, I just dunk it in slow-out slow. Let dry over night, than 2nd and 3rd time. Totally sealed and waterproof. Hunk Lee does a great job making the battery. Especially for the price, quality of build and cells.
    Careful not to yank on the cord. If it shorts it can catch fire.

I like to have it attached more firmly than just plasti-dip and soldered connections- I usually wrap tape around it and then around the battery, or I bond it with Plumber's Goop.

I suppose a zip tie embedded in plasti-dip might be strong enough.

mtbr member
    I tested some of the Hunk Lee packs made with Panasonic 3400s and they were very close to the capacity listed.

I wish Hunk Lee could sell the rubber casings as well- then we'd really have something easy for the less DIY types rather than plasti-dip or wrapping in self-fusing silicone tape then heat-shrink.
    I bet if someone contacts him and requests the rubber casings he might be able to come up with them ( although I'm sure they will cost extra ).

I don't know if I'd be willing to mess with Plastic dip. The self-fusing silicone tape works but is bulky. Another option is to use Duck tape. Comes in a variety of colors and looks to be pretty water resistant. Combo black Duck tape with some black plastic electrical tape and I think it should work pretty good.

Just make sure water has no way to travel down the power cord to enter the battery and you should be good to go. Some clear silicone sealant where the cord enters the battery should do the trick.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Anybody here familiar with this NEW Waterproof 6*18650 Battery Set For LED Bicycle Lights(8.4V 6600mAh) from Lights-Box?

The Battery Thread: 2013-image.jpg

I'd get it just for the waterproof case, it's the same type comes with MagicShine save that they use rectangular connectors in their 6-cell LT's looks like it's round and would fit the TrustFire TR-D014 7-LED over at DX. Yeah the same lighthead is also available in a package with its own waterproof battery pack from TrustFire, which might be slightly less of a risk, but the belted rubberized LT case is just so far superior to the TF woven nylon/velcro pouch. Love the one that came with my MagicShine 816.

So whaddya think guys, is Lights-Box okay to deal with? Don't see this unit for sale anywhere else. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 19