Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Kir View Post
    And btw here is another very interesting battery case:
    Solarstorm portable water proof 4*18650 battery box rechargeable battery case used for bike light-in Other Batteries from Electrical Equipment & Supplies on Aliexpress.com
    I don't think that it was mentioned on this forum yet. Its pretty simular to Fenix BT20's case, but made for 4 batteries and looks sturdy enough. I ordered 2 of them for testing.
    Wow shipping kills this deal for me. $15 to ship? I like the case and willing to try it but will wait until another vendor sells them with better or free shipping.
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pucked up View Post
    Wow shipping kills this deal for me. $15 to ship? I like the case and willing to try it but will wait until another vendor sells them with better or free shipping.
    Actually the price isn't bad. The other places just include the shipping with the listed price. If you really want one badly and don't mind dealing with the credit card info I suggest you go for it. Just don't expect to get it real fast.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Actually the price isn't bad. The other places just include the shipping with the listed price. If you really want one badly and don't mind dealing with the credit card info I suggest you go for it. Just don't expect to get it real fast.
    Will this battery holder take the longer protected decent batteries i.e. around 69 mm. I need longer battery life for my ssx2

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoobylight View Post
    Will this battery holder take the longer protected decent batteries i.e. around 69 mm. I need longer battery life for my ssx2
    Why would you want to use "protected" batteries? They are not designed nor intended to work in this configuration - that is the why they have a different PCB for 2sXp packs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    the holder has already a pcb istalled to protect the batteries!
    So you should use unprotected 18650 cells - longest runntime you will get with panasonic ncr18650b-3400mAh!
    ..just ride...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    longer batteries don't give you longer runntime
    but newer chemistry or lately released batteries will
    ..just ride...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Problem is - this pack is not made for constant opening. Soft aluminium profile and steel screws don't mix very well, threads in central part will be stripped very fast.
    And besides balance lead is very useful on its own. I use it to quickly check remaining battery capacity with this and simular checkers:
    HobbyKing Daily - HobbyKing Cellmeter - YouTube

Solarstorm portable water proof 4*18650 battery box rechargeable battery case used for bike light-in Other Batteries from Electrical Equipment & Supplies on Aliexpress.com
    I don't think that it was mentioned on this forum yet. Its pretty simular to Fenix BT20's case, but made for 4 batteries and looks sturdy enough. I ordered 2 of them for testing.
    Kir,

have you noticed that the case you mentioned has a picture of a triple led Solastorm.... maybe its the standard case that comes with that light.... should be a great one to mod the side leds optics for flood and leave the center one for throw... Dont you think? Similar set up you use with your singfire but ina much smaller form factor.

mtbr member
    Very cool! Has anyone seen a 2-cell version of this (like the Fenix BA4C case that comes with the BT20)? As far as I can tell, no one sells the BT20 case separately.

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Lichitisky View Post
    Kir,

have you noticed that the case you mentioned has a picture of a triple led Solastorm.... maybe its the standard case that comes with that light.... should be a great one to mod the side leds optics for flood and leave the center one for throw... Dont you think? Similar set up you use with your singfire but ina much smaller form factor.
    Yes, its a case for SolarStorm X3. I actually noticed the SSX3 and posted link to it on another forum, then some guys from this forum asked seller to make separate listing for battery case only.
    I ordered 2 cases and will post impressions here when I'll receive them.

SSX3 could work as flood-throw combo if you'll replace optics in side leds, but imo this is a better choice:
    1Set Cree XML T6+2xCree XPE R2 LED Bicycle Light 4 Mode 1200 Lumens Rechargeable intelligent Power Indicate LED Bike HeadLights-in Bicycle Light from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com
    Clone of niteye B30, TIR lenses on the sides for floor and reflector in center for throw, nice optional remote control. Expect kinda crappy battery though, but still worth it for $70.
    The only bad thing about it is XP-E leds on the sides, but it should be possible to replace them with XM-L.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Yes, its a case for SolarStorm X3. I actually noticed the SSX3 and posted link to it on another forum, then some guys from this forum asked seller to make separate listing for battery case only.
    Is there a link to this? Or is it the same one from Ali Express?
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I ordered 2 cases and will post impressions here when I'll receive them.

SSX3 could work as flood-throw combo if you'll replace optics in side leds, but imo this is a better choice:
    1Set Cree XML T6+2xCree XPE R2 LED Bicycle Light 4 Mode 1200 Lumens Rechargeable intelligent Power Indicate LED Bike HeadLights-in Bicycle Light from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com
    Clone of niteye B30, TIR lenses on the sides for floor and reflector in center for throw, nice optional remote control. Expect kinda crappy battery though, but still worth it for $70.
    The only bad thing about it is XP-E leds on the sides, but it should be possible to replace them with XM-L.
    OMG that looks nice!

The build quality looks great but, one thing turns me down right away: the leds.

This lamp uses a not so efficient XML t6 and even worse, 2 XPE R2. Would this bring down the lumens count when compared, for example, with the SSx3 or Nitefire HERO2?

Another thing is.... the mount. The famous brands that uses this type os mount are known to be great. But the "Chinos" version... not so good.

Do own or have taken a look at this lamp? Is it good, quality wise? How do you think iT would compare to SSx3 and Nitefire HERO2 regarding to power output and overall quality?

From what you have seen what is the best, cost efective light for the BARS (not using any headlamp with along with it), with 2, 3 and 4 leds?

Catman Could answers this last one for me as well?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    You guys think this would be great battery holder or the USB plug would be a problem? The screw looks solid in this... better than the one we saw in Kaidomain?!?!

TrustFire 4000mAh 4 x 18650 Battery Power Bank w / USB Output + EUA Plug Power Adapter - Frete Grátis - DealExtreme

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Lichitisky View Post
    This lamp uses a not so efficient XML t6 and even worse, 2 XPE R2. Would this bring down the lumens count when compared, for example, with the SSx3 or Nitefire HERO2?

Another thing is.... the mount. The famous brands that uses this type os mount are known to be great. But the "Chinos" version... not so good.

Do own or have taken a look at this lamp? Is it good, quality wise? How do you think iT would compare to SSx3 and Nitefire HERO2 regarding to power output and overall quality?
    It uses XPE leds on purpose since this version doesn't have brightness adjustment for leds. So you have 3 modes - center led only, side leds only (low-brightness mode with low current from battery), center + side leds.
    It won't be as bright as SSX3 but you may be able to replace side leds with XML if you need same brightness.
    I don't have it yet. And anyway lets keep the discussion of bike lights in another topics, this one is about batteries

From what you have seen what is the best, cost efective light for the BARS (not using any headlamp with along with it), with 2, 3 and 4 leds?
    Best OR cost effective? These things are kinda different
    Cost effective is solarstorm x2 since you can get it for $25-35. Best...well for me its Singfire SF-530.

You guys think this would be great battery holder or the USB plug would be a problem? The screw looks solid in this... better than the one we saw in Kaidomain?!?!
    It won't work with most lights due to 5v output (too low for 8.4v lights and too high for 4.2v lights) Its made for this light only:
    https://www.fasttech.com/products/1446903
    You can probably find a few other chinese lights with usb input, I've seen them on aliexpress - but its still a very unusual battery pack. The whole idea behind it is the ability to recharge your usb gadgets on the ride using its usb port.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    It uses XPE leds on purpose since this version doesn't have brightness adjustment for leds. So you have 3 modes - center led only, side leds only (low-brightness mode with low current from battery), center + side leds.
    It won't be as bright as SSX3 but you may be able to replace side leds with XML if you need same brightness.
    I don't have it yet. And anyway lets keep the discussion of bike lights in another topics, this one is about batteries

Best OR cost effective? These things are kinda different
    Cost effective is solarstorm x2 since you can get it for $25-35. Best...well for me its Singfire SF-530.

It won't work with most lights due to 5v output (too low for 8.4v lights and too high for 4.2v lights) Its made for this light only:
    https://www.fasttech.com/products/1446903
    You can probably find a few other chinese lights with usb input, I've seen them on aliexpress - but its still a very unusual battery pack. The whole idea behind it is the ability to recharge your usb gadgets on the ride using its usb port.
    I think this battery outputs 8.4v from the charging socket and 5v from the usb. If so, it's multi purpose.
    I can't see the usb plug carrying enough current to power those 3 xml2 leds.
    If true, it could be a cool solution.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I am thinking of building a battery pack for my SSX2. I haven't used it yet, but I don't expect too much from stock batteries since the price was $32...

I've gone through posts in this and some other topics and to sum it up, I have to buy housing. There are 3 contenders:
    1.) 2S2P 7.4V 18650 Holder with Battery Build-in PCM Protection Circuit Module
    2.) 4 x 18650 Battery Set for Bicycle Light
    3.) Solarstorm portable water-proof 4*18650 battery box rechargeable battery case

Which one to choose? Since 1 and 3 are cheaper and batteries in 2 are probably crap am deciding between 1 and 3. 3 has better, waterproof housing, so 3 wins.
    Did I miss something?

Once I have housing I only need 4 good batteries and we are ready to go. I will order batteries that Kir mentioned in this post.

Edit: hmm like someone already mentioned postage price for Solarstorm housing is crazy. It looks like I will have to wait for other stores to get them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Kir, or anyone else.

Can you please confirm that the favourite battery holder, link:

High Quality Rechargeable 8.4v 4*18650 4400 mAh bicycle light battery pack for solarstorm X2 bike light of battery set-in Rechargeable Batteries from Electrical Equipment & Supplies on Aliexpress.com

Works with (connects to) the Solarstorm X2, the Solarstorm X2 review thread is inconclusive.

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeS View Post
    I think this battery outputs 8.4v from the charging socket and 5v from the usb. If so, it's multi purpose.
    I can't see the usb plug carrying enough current to power those 3 xml2 leds.
    If true, it could be a cool solution.
    Dual outputs...hmm, this could work. Gotta order it to test.

Which one to choose? Since 1 and 3 are cheaper and batteries in 2 are probably crap am deciding between 1 and 3. 3 has better, waterproof housing, so 3 wins.
    Did I miss something?
    1 is just a holder, you'll have to solder connector to it and use some kinda of bag to store it.
    2 is tested and proven to work great. Even if batteries are crap its still worth it at $13
    3 - we don't know anything about it yet and its more expensive, so its hard to say

Works with (connects to) the Solarstorm X2, the Solarstorm X2 review thread is inconclusive.
    It will work but it won't be waterproof like original SSX2 connector and you'll have to cut off a few mm of extra rubber from it to fully insert it into SSX2 connector.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    3 - we don't know anything about it yet and its more expensive, so its hard to say
    If the batteries in the other pack for $12 are not useful it is cheaper in case that you don't have to pay postage. You've also mentioned that 2 is not made to be open to often. Solarstorm version looks (on pictures) better in that respect and connector is probably fully compatible with SSX2.

I agree option 2 is probably worth it. With original and that battery you can probably get enough of power for a few hours.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Are the Magichsine/Clone battery chargers suitable for use with these packs or can anyone recommend anything better? Especially if I'm going to be putting high quality 3400mAh Panasonic cells in these cases.

Thanks
    Tom

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Hi all,
    Just got a Solarstorm X2 from some seller on ebay. The light is great, however the battery pack is terrible. After charging all day and attaching it to the light, the indicator leds go from 3 leds to 2 after only a few seconds on low beam. After doing some research on this site, I realized that I probably got a dud since mine has the blue shrink wrap. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good "plug and play" battery upgrade for this light? I don't want to get into soldering and buying separate cells, etc. Also would still like to use the "waterproof connector" functionality if possible. I apologize if someone has already answered a similar question... I'm trying to decide whether to pay the money to return the light to China or bite the bullet and buy a new battery pack for it.

mtbr member

Replacement 8.4V 6600mAh Rechargeable Battery Packs

I bought two of these Replacement 8.4V 6600mAh Rechargeable Battery Packs last week from Amazon, tried them last night for two hours on my basic china lights( 1 triple XML & 1 single XML), worked great. Decent pouch, velcro attachment. $17ea + 2day free shipping for Prime members.

Name:  6cell.jpg
Views: 1161
Size:  27.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ruffrydah View Post
    Hi all,
    Just got a Solarstorm X2 from some seller on ebay. The light is great, however the battery pack is terrible. After charging all day and attaching it to the light, the indicator leds go from 3 leds to 2 after only a few seconds on low beam. After doing some research on this site, I realized that I probably got a dud since mine has the blue shrink wrap. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good "plug and play" battery upgrade for this light? I don't want to get into soldering and buying separate cells, etc. Also would still like to use the "waterproof connector" functionality if possible. I apologize if someone has already answered a similar question... I'm trying to decide whether to pay the money to return the light to China or bite the bullet and buy a new battery pack for it.
    Last edited by patski; 10-05-2013 at 09:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    patski, thanks for the suggestion, that sounds like a decent deal, especially with free 2 day shipping!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Hey guys, I think I'm going to order a Solarstorm x2 head only and the Solarstorm battery pack that Kir found (Aliexpress.com : Buy Solarstorm portable water proof 4*18650 battery box rechargeable battery case used for bike light from Reliable Other Batteries suppliers on Shenzhen Blackshadow Technology Co., LTD). The only thing I'm unsure about is if I fill the battery pack with some nice cells, what charger can I use to charge them while they're in the pack? Anyone know a seller which sells just the charging cable?

Edit: I found the solarstorm charger on lightsmall, the charger (like all the bike pack chargers) is a 8.4v Li-po charger. My question now is: if I use normal 3.7v 18650s in the 2s-2p formation that will make the pack 7.4v (I think). Does that mean that an 8.4v charger will somehow overcharge the cells?

Cheers!
    Last edited by Lord Marmaduke; 10-05-2013 at 10:01 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Marmaduke View Post
    Edit: I found the solarstorm charger on lightsmall, the charger (like all the bike pack chargers) is a 8.4v Li-po charger. My question now is: if I use normal 3.7v 18650s in the 2s-2p formation that will make the pack 7.4v (I think). Does that mean that an 8.4v charger will somehow overcharge the cells?
    18650s are 3.7V nominal and 4.2V fresh off the charger so 8.4V charger is correct for 2S setups.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks that's great

Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast