Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast
    Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Measured 2 cells so far, 1100 and 1150mAh at 1A discharge to 3V.
    4 x 18650 Battery Set for Bicycle Light-in Charger from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com - i bought it from ali and they actually specify "2400mAh" capacity, so it was expected
    Still a good holder though, just don't forget to replace the cells.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    thanks, for the info and the find on aliexpress!!
    ..just ride...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I bought the Panasonic 3400mAh batteries off Fasttech and they did NOT fit into the Kaidomain holder....I tried many times and eventually had to reinsulate them as the shrinkwrapped plastic had torn off in places. I also removed any sharp edges on the thread channels of the battery holder. The balancing wire also came off it's soldered end.
    This project has been a failure for me, wish I had known that these expensive batteries would not fit before I bought them....

Fasttech is certainly a reliable reseller.

Thanks to Kir for all the useful info posted!!!
    Goatman
    - It's not the destination that counts but how you get there -

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

The Battery Thread: 2013

That sucks - thanks for sharing this information. So they came with a larger diameter than typical cells?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The cells that were already in this battery holder fitted fine.
    The new Panasonic 3400mAh ones did not fit.
    Goatman

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    NCR18650B have 18.4-18.6mm diameter, so they're just a bit over the spec.
    But they DO fit in kaidomain holder, here is a pic:

You have to carefully insert them as there is very little space on the sides, but they do fit nicely.
    And you have to use only original panasonic flat top cells! Protected ones will be too long, button-top ones will have second layer of shrink tube and will be too wide to insert into the holder.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Good job!

Thanks for the photo Kir, those are the exact same Panasonic batteries I tried to fit.
    I should have been more careful....
    Agree, must be flat top to fit too.
    Might just order some narrower diameter cheaper 18650's and try again!
    Fasttech does list the diameters of cells and the 3400mAh Panasonic's are the widest.
    Goatman

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

The Battery Thread: 2013

Thanks for all this very useful information Kir - I am planning to do the same upgrade after I receive my new light and hope to have more luck than goatman.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    confirmed - NCR18650B do fit nicely! I also have them in the holder!
    ..just ride...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Good news Whitedog I think I should have been more careful during the fitting process!
    Have ordered some 2900mAh narrower diameter Panasonics off Fasttech that I will fit instead...
    Goatman

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Hi
    I am having a few question regarding this yellow aluminum battery holder sold on Aliexpress. When asking the seller about the battery size, the seller told be the batteries cannot be removed? Is it true? Does someone ordered it from this website?
    However it is possible to change the batteries, does 18.4x69mm batteries fit in this holder?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Kir View Post
    NCR18650B have 18.4-18.6mm diameter, so they're just a bit over the spec.
    But they DO fit in kaidomain holder, here is a pic:

You have to carefully insert them as there is very little space on the sides, but they do fit nicely.
    And you have to use only original panasonic flat top cells! Protected ones will be too long, button-top ones will have second layer of shrink tube and will be too wide to insert into the holder.
    Hi Kir,
    nice combination! I plan a similar setup when i receive my light. Which kind of charger do you use for those pricey batteries?

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    I use Imax B6 for all my li-ion batteries, but you can use any charger like the standart chinese chargers for these lights - usually they work fine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I know this has been asked before but where can I get 18650 Panasonics and feel comfortable they are the real thing.

Thx

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Fasttech.com, search for "panasonic 18650"

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Has anyone tried using only two batteries in this? Making it a 2S1P.
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I use Imax B6 for all my li-ion batteries, but you can use any charger like the standart chinese chargers for these lights - usually they work fine.
    Thanks for the infos! So there should be no danger of burning, melting or exploding batteries with the standard chinese charger? ;-)

In a earlier post you mentioned to add a balance lead to this battery pack. Im a totally noob on this topic... how can I make this?

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by pucked up View Post
    Has anyone tried using only two batteries in this? Making it a 2S1P.
    It will work, but why do you want to do this?

Quote Originally Posted by tish! View Post
    Thanks for the infos! So there should be no danger of burning, melting or exploding batteries with the standard chinese charger? ;-)
    In a earlier post you mentioned to add a balance lead to this battery pack. Im a totally noob on this topic... how can I make this?
    No, the worst thing that could happed is overcharging of cells if you leave it connected to the charger for a long time - but protection PCB in the battery pack should prevent it. Still you should disconnect it from charger when its finished charging (green led lights up on charger), don't leave it connected.

Balance lead will look like this (another battery pack with NCR18650Bs that I made for my friend):

You have to solder it inside the battery pack to the protection pcb and cut a small hole in the plastic to route the wires. I can make a picture that shows where you have to solder the wires, but you'll need some soldering skills for this - points are tiny

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Balancing charge is not required too often: in my practice, the battery comes out of balance after ~1 - 1.5 year of use. As for the holder mentioned above - I don't see any point drilling it to add balance leads: it it not a battery pack but just a holder, and IMHO it's more logical to periodically charge the cells in common 4-slot (or 2-slot) charger...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    It will work, but why do you want to do this?
    I have more lights than batteries and sometimes when out on a group ride I would split the batteries up into two's so that new riders can come along. This way it saves me from buying 2S1P holders. I tend to buy only 2S2P holders from fasttech w/PCB which can be used as a 2S1P. Even with only 2 Panasoncis 3400am I can still get over 3hrs run times on high with the lights I've made.
    "By Your Command"

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by -Archie- View Post
    Balancing charge is not required too often: in my practice, the battery comes out of balance after ~1 - 1.5 year of use. As for the holder mentioned above - I don't see any point drilling it to add balance leads: it it not a battery pack but just a holder, and IMHO it's more logical to periodically charge the cells in common 4-slot (or 2-slot) charger...
    Problem is - this pack is not made for constant opening. Soft aluminium profile and steel screws don't mix very well, threads in central part will be stripped very fast.
    And besides balance lead is very useful on its own. I use it to quickly check remaining battery capacity with this and simular checkers:
    HobbyKing Daily - HobbyKing Cellmeter - YouTube

And btw here is another very interesting battery case:
    Solarstorm portable water proof 4*18650 battery box rechargeable battery case used for bike light-in Other Batteries from Electrical Equipment & Supplies on Aliexpress.com
    I don't think that it was mentioned on this forum yet. Its pretty simular to Fenix BT20's case, but made for 4 batteries and looks sturdy enough. I ordered 2 of them for testing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Problem is - this pack is not made for constant opening. Soft aluminium profile and steel screws don't mix very well, threads in central part will be stripped very fast.
    Well, that's make sense...

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    No, the worst thing that could happed is overcharging of cells if you leave it connected to the charger for a long time - but protection PCB in the battery pack should prevent it. Still you should disconnect it from charger when its finished charging (green led lights up on charger), don't leave it connected.

You have to solder it inside the battery pack to the protection pcb and cut a small hole in the plastic to route the wires. I can make a picture that shows where you have to solder the wires, but you'll need some soldering skills for this - points are tiny
    Thanks! For the beginning I'll stay with the original battery holder and always have a look at the green light of the charger ;-)

BTW: Very nice battery holder to which you refer. Maybe I'll order me one as well...
    Last edited by tish!; 09-18-2013 at 02:09 PM. Reason: wrong quotation

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    And btw here is another very interesting battery case:
    Solarstorm portable water proof 4*18650 battery box rechargeable battery case used for bike light-in Other Batteries from Electrical Equipment & Supplies on Aliexpress.com
    I don't think that it was mentioned on this forum yet. Its pretty simular to Fenix BT20's case, but made for 4 batteries and looks sturdy enough. I ordered 2 of them for testing.
    Nice find Kir!!
    Have some update too - found the alu holders in different colour and cheper Price:
    too bad that all of these alu holders are not magicshine compatible!!
    - High Quality blue color Rechargeable 8.4v 4*18650 4400 mAh battery pack for solarstorm X2 bicycle bike light of battery set-in Rechargeable Batteries from Electrical Equipment & Supplies on Aliexpress.com
    - High Quality Rechargeable 8.4v 4*18650 4400 mAh bicycle light battery pack for solarstorm X2 bike light of battery set-in Rechargeable Batteries from Electrical Equipment & Supplies on Aliexpress.com

Magicshine compatible:
    - waterproof rechargeable 8.4v 4*18650 5200 mAh battery pack for bicycle liahg bike light,headlamp,headlight of battery set-in Rechargeable Batteries from Electrical Equipment & Supplies on Aliexpress.com
    - waterproof 6400mAh 4*18650 8.4V Rechargeable 18650 Battery Pack for Bicyle Light with Magic protection bag+free shipping-in Rechargeable Batteries from Electrical Equipment & Supplies on Aliexpress.com

They have a nice claimed capacity - but this should be tested.....

Kaidomain has the black holder as well now:
    - http://kaidomain.com/product/details.S022419
    ..just ride...

mtbr member
    ...And btw here is another very interesting battery case:
    Nice find Kir. I like the look of this one. I'd get one but I'd like to use paypal. Since I'm in no hurry I might have to wait till someone else is doing the selling.

If anyone out there sees another vendor selling these with the paypal option please post up.
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 09-19-2013 at 12:44 PM.

Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast