Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharddog03 View Post
    What's the best way to seal this or will a nylon pouch suffice?

A Panasonic NCR18650 7 4V 6200mAh Li ion Battery 4 3100mAh Cells to 2S2P w PCM | eBay
    One step closer to everyone's dream of an affordable 6800 mAh 4-cell battery pack!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by steelhmr View Post
    One step closer to everyone's dream of an affordable 6800 mAh 4-cell battery pack!
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is that extra cable/wire for?

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    What's the best way to seal this or will a nylon pouch suffice?

A Panasonic NCR18650 7 4V 6200mAh Li ion Battery 4 3100mAh Cells to 2S2P w PCM | eBay
    Its supposed to be shrinkwrapped, you need 66-70mm shrink tube for that:
    12ft 66mm Heat Shrink Tubing Tube Wrap RC AA 18650 Battery Make | eBay
    But you really need to provide additional protection from water, something like a rubber glove/balloon, few layers of adhesive tape, plastic bags - basically anything that can seal it from water.

2nd wire is JST connector, usually used on R/C models.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kir View Post
    Its supposed to be shrinkwrapped, you need 66-70mm shrink tube for that:
    12ft 66mm Heat Shrink Tubing Tube Wrap RC AA 18650 Battery Make | eBay
    But you really need to provide additional protection from water, something like a rubber glove/balloon, few layers of adhesive tape, plastic bags - basically anything that can seal it from water.

2nd wire is JST connector, usually used on R/C models.
    Thank you. Might give it a go. Panasonics for 34$ don't think you can go wrong. Maybe I'll heat shrink and put in a water bottle. I'm assuming you can charge it through the plug and the JsT end? I'm into RC planes and have a lipo charger so either way it should work.

Or maybe this one
    Sanyo Li ion 18650 7 4V 7800mAh Waterproof Battery for MagicShine LED Bike Light | eBay

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    It uses this PCM from the same seller, so it should cut off at 3.0V/cell - nice if you won't like to damage the cells.
    Quote Originally Posted by steelhmr View Post

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'm assuming you can charge it through the plug and the JsT end? I'm into RC planes and have a lipo charger so either way it should work.
    Typically the primary charge is through the plug and the balance charge is through the JST using a hobby charger.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    For balance charging those cells and every 2S cell pack you need a 3 wire connector.

Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    Typically the primary charge is through the plug and the balance charge is through the JST using a hobby charger.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

The Battery Thread: 2013

So the $34 Panasonic battery will charge fine on a MS charger, or is balance charging needed for it to be worth it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kroe View Post
    So the $34 Panasonic battery will charge fine on a MS charger, or is balance charging needed for it to be worth it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Should work. I just sent the seller a question to confrim since I will be charging it using a gemini charger.

Question-

Can you use duck tape and seal the battery back? Will this damage the pack in any way??? I think duck taping will help avoid the solder points breaking off and any tugging on the wires.

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Balance charging is the proper way to charge such battery packs, but its not really needed if you're using high-quality cells like these panasonic ones. It will charge fine on MJ charger.

Yes, you can use tape/rubber to cover and seal the battery pack. Just use something that is waterproof and resistant to wear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kir View Post
    Balance charging is the proper way to charge such battery packs, but its not really needed if you're using high-quality cells like these panasonic ones. It will charge fine on MJ charger.

Yes, you can use tape/rubber to cover and seal the battery pack. Just use something that is waterproof and resistant to wear.
    Thanks. Kir.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Just A Quick Question About The Solarstorm portable water proof 4*18650 battery box.

Do I need to pull the batteries to charge them?

And if not, what would a good recommended wall adapter be to compliment it?

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aquaport View Post
    Just A Quick Question About The Solarstorm portable water proof 4*18650 battery box.

Do I need to pull the batteries to charge them?

And if not, what would a good recommended wall adapter be to compliment it?

Thanks,
    Action-LED-Lights ? Magicshine 1.8A Charger - MJ-6012

Action-LED-Lights ? Gemini 1.8A Charger

These should work

mtbr member
    This looks like a nice 2cell pack. For those looking for a light helmet pack.
    1 Sanyo 18650 2S1P Li ion Battery Pack Output 7 4V 2600mAh w PCM Inside Plug | eBay

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    This looks like a nice 2cell pack. For those looking for a light helmet pack.
    ****************17BnVNn
    ???
    ..just ride...

mtbr member
    Just pulled the trigger on one of these. See how fast shipping is and the quality of the pack.

I contacted the seller and asked him to remove the JsT plug.
    Last edited by Gharddog03; 11-05-2013 at 09:21 PM.

mtbr member

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    BTW this seller sells pretty good stuff - I got a PCB for 4S pack from him and works OK so far (cuts off at 3V/cell - so good to go with li-po).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    BTW this seller sells pretty good stuff - I got a PCB for 4S pack from him and works OK so far (cuts off at 3V/cell - so good to go with li-po).
    Sweet. Good to know. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Marmaduke View Post
    Put it into a condom/rubber glove then zip-tie it tightly shut
    I may still have to do that but now I'm trying the plasti dip...

The Battery Thread: 2013-plastidip.jpg

mtbr member
    So, why the dual leads???

The Battery Thread: 2013-6cellsanyo.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6cellsanyo.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	844490
    this goes back years but likely it is because there are some batteries that have a separate charging lead.should be no big problem in actual use.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    this goes back years but likely it is because there are some batteries that have a separate charging lead.should be no big problem in actual use.
    I just wanted to add a little more to my previous comment; After looking at the ad it looks like the circuit board is designed for Li-Po batteries. The extra lead might be a balance lead...not sure really. I'd ask the question of the seller.

Would I buy one of these?...No....Not when I see the seller selling other el-cheap-O batteries claiming over-rated mAh WHICH as most people know are nothing but crap batteries. If you are going to sell batteries you either sell the good stuff and nothing else or you sell the Crap stuff and nothing else. If you lie to me about one product you sell how do I know you aren't doing something shady with the other more reputable product?.. Food for thought.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    But lightmalls, fasttech, kd and dx they all sell mixed battery stuff. Which extra lead do you mean? Balance lead for 2S pack must have 3 wires - to drain power e.g. to prevent overcharge of some cells.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I just wanted to add a little more to my previous comment; After looking at the ad it looks like the circuit board is designed for Li-Po batteries. The extra lead might be a balance lead...not sure really. I'd ask the question of the seller.

Would I buy one of these?...No....Not when I see the seller selling other el-cheap-O batteries claiming over-rated mAh WHICH as most people know are nothing but crap batteries.
    There's no difference between LiPo and LiIon battery: electrochemically, it is the same thing. Small connector is for charger, not balancing: it is one of common standards used in RC-world. You may just cut it off if unneeded: it doesn't affect battery operation in any way. As for seller - hunk_lee / A-OK battery is very reputable: I myself (and my cycling club mates) ordered several of his items, all of them were of high quality.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    ^ +1 as I wrote about A-OK already. Li-po is tough power source and little dangerous chemistry when deep discharged. Li-po cells doesn't have high voltage sag as li-ion and voltage drops very slowly.

mtbr member
    But lightmalls, fasttech, kd and dx they all sell mixed battery stuff. Which extra lead do you mean? Balance led for 2S pack must have 3 wires - to drain power e.g. to prevent overcharge.
    I have a distrust for e-bay vendors. That said I don't buy battery packs from anyone anymore unless I know the brand and mAh rating of the cells in the pack. I might buy lights from the Chinese web sites but I don't like their battery packs. Separate cells? that's another issue. Websites like fasttech, K/D and DX have a reputation to uphold. If they advertise something as , "Panasonic"..."Samsung"...etc...they better be the real deal.

E-bay dealers...if they get bad rep. they can just change names and start over.

.... Which extra lead do you mean? Balance led for 2S pack must have 3 wires - to drain power e.g. to prevent overcharge.
    The photo showed an extra ( male plug ) coming from the PCM. Not quite sure what it's used for but years ago I bought a 6-cell battery that had an extra lead that I believe ( bear with me, I forget it was so long ago ) it was used to charge the battery. I can't remember what type plug was used. Somewhere in my man cave this battery is hiding or I'd give it a quick look.

mtbr member
    I am ebay buyer. I always buy the seller not the item. And with about 13,000 transactions and 99.7 % feedback. I don't think there's much to worry about. To each their own.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Hi!
    I have the Solarstorm 2x cree xml U2 led light but the batterypack sucks. It runs out of juice in less than an hour on full power. I have read a lot of posts in this thread but I don´t really get it when it comes to putting together my own batterypack. Could someone please tell me if the combination below is compatible. I want to charge the batterypack with the batteries in the case if it is possible. Is this a good setup or am I missing something important here?

The case:
    Water Resistant 4 x 18650 Battery Pack Case House Cover for Bike Lamp | eBay

The batteries:
    $16.86 Panasonic NCR18650A 18650 3100mAh 3.7V Protected Rechargeable Li-ion Batteries (2-Pack) 2-pack - min capacity 2950mAh at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    If you fit these cells inside you are OK and if the case has its own PCB, you don't need to buy protected cells.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Not sure where you are located - but that's the setup I am going with. I am waiting for the x2 to come in (ordered 2), and ordering the panasonic cells (3400mah)off amazon (4 for 38 shipped 2 day). With all the customs issues around export of batteries, I ordered just the light heads from overseas.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I´m not sure that the case has its own PCB. If not, is it ok with protected cells? Is it ok to charge them while the cells are still in the case?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    yes, it will work as a dual protection, but protected cells are usually slightly longer. yes, you can charge them while they are in case.

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tobel View Post
    I´m not sure that the case has its own PCB. If not, is it ok with protected cells? Is it ok to charge them while the cells are still in the case?
    There is no protection pcb in this case so I recommend to use protected cells in it. That will give you overcharge/overdischarge protection and short-circuit protection if you'll accidentally insert cells in the wrong order.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Ok, thanks all for your replies!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tobel View Post
    Ok, thanks all for your replies!
    If you look at the plug on the cell holder it is set-up with the same threaded plug used on most of the SSX2's. Should work fine with either protected or non-protected cells.

Personally I would use non-protected cells. I say that because the ( friction contacts ) tend to cause small voltage drops. This effect increases over time ( with oxidation of the contacts ) and will eventually cause the protection circuit to kick in prematurely. Not really a big issue if you clean the contacts regularly but if you don't want that to happen you can use non-protected cells. Of course with non-protected cells you run the danger of over-discharging the cells. Either way your choice.

Another reason not to use protected cells is that if one cell cuts off prematurely it will switch over to two cell operation and you won't even know it. Not the ideal situation. I'd rather go with non-protected cells and use my own judgement when the lamp starts to dim.

Sooner of later someone is going to sell one of these with a built in voltage indicator. When that happens these will sell like hot cakes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Personally I would use non-protected cells. I say that because the ( friction contacts ) tend to cause small voltage drops. This effect increases over time ( with oxidation of the contacts ) and will eventually cause the protection circuit to kick in prematurely. Not really a big issue if you clean the contacts regularly but if you don't want that to happen you can use non-protected cells.
    What do you mean? How bad contacts can affect cell's PCB operation?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6cellsanyo.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	844490
    Anyone know where you can buy a nylon pouch for these 6 cell packs?

mtbr member
    Probably need to get creative. Maybe look at camera/accessories bags.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Anyone tried these Trustfire cheapie packs? The mAh claims should of course be taken with a grain of salt. The silicone encased "4400 mAh" 4 cell version looks very similar to the Magicshine MJ-6002 pack.

There's also a shrink-wrapped 6 cell version with 8400 alleged mAh.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by zuuds View Post
    Anyone tried these Trustfire cheapie packs? The mAh claims should of course be taken with a grain of salt. The silicone encased "4400 mAh" 4 cell version looks very similar to the Magicshine MJ-6002 pack.
    I've measured that battery (supplied with TrustFire TR-D008 light): real capacity was 3278 mAh.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by -Archie- View Post
    I've measured that battery (supplied with TrustFire TR-D008 light): real capacity was 3278 mAh.
    Hmmm, 3278 is 49.6% of 6600, so assuming the "8400" mAh 6 cell pack is similarly exaggerated, that one would would really be 4171 mAh, or slightly less than the Magicshine pack with 4 BAK cells.

mtbr member
    May 2011

The Battery Thread: 2013

Quote Originally Posted by zuuds View Post
    Hmmm, 3278 is 49.6% of 6600, so assuming the "8400" mAh 6 cell pack is similarly exaggerated, that one would would really be 4171 mAh, or slightly less than the Magicshine pack with 4 BAK cells.
    That is a rather big assumption - they don't measure the capacity & exaggerate it so much as dream up a number & double it. Any relationship to actual capacity is purely coincidental

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Trustfire batteries are probably the best ones from chinese batteries. I've had about 10 of them and they all had at least 3700mAh capacity, usually about 4000mAh.
    But unlike -Archie- I measure the full capacity of the battery, i.e. discharging to protection pcb cutoff and not simply to 6v.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    If the "trusted" trustfire is genuine then yes, but you can easily get a cloned one :-) Mine TFs run great in torch - but I have genuine 4000mAh.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by find_bruce View Post
    That is a rather big assumption - they don't measure the capacity & exaggerate it so much as dream up a number & double it. Any relationship to actual capacity is purely coincidental
    zuuds, Bruce is 100% correct. This has been stated over and over and over again in this and other forums. The battery lottery odds are stacked against you in this manner. 1 - Shipping lithium delay or rejection. 2 - What are your chances getting good cells when you receive it? 3 - Reliability & safety. 4 - Warranty.

The Golden Rule applies more than ever. If it seems too good to be true it probably is. Also, if it's all good today, doesn't guarantee it will be tomorrow. Greed always gets the better of men.

Correct me if I am wrong. I am guessing you're from Cape Town. If so you're certainly better off getting batteries from Extremelights. They have good battery packs that caught my eye here. I don't know them from a bar of soap but I suspect they are OEM customers of Xeccon. If so, you can expect the 4400mAh to be BAK cells. At R350, that's just USD34. The Panasonic 6800mAh pack at R685/USD 66 is too good to be true. I'm worried!

However, they are an established legitimate business who have to play by the rules like this charger compliance problem they seem to be facing. Going through their website with FB page, product range etc should assure you product authenticity and warranty. The odds are now stacked in your favor.
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbRevolution View Post
    zuuds, Bruce is 100% correct. This has been stated over and over and over again in this and other forums. The battery lottery odds are stacked against you in this manner. 1 - Shipping lithium delay or rejection. 2 - What are your chances getting good cells when you receive it? 3 - Reliability & safety. 4 - Warranty.

The Golden Rule applies more than ever. If it seems too good to be true it probably is. Also, if it's all good today, doesn't guarantee it will be tomorrow. Greed always gets the better of men.

Correct me if I am wrong. I am guessing you're from Cape Town. If so you're certainly better off getting batteries from Extremelights. They have good battery packs that caught my eye here. I don't know them from a bar of soap but I suspect they are OEM customers of Xeccon. If so, you can expect the 4400mAh to be BAK cells. At R350, that's just USD34. The Panasonic 6800mAh pack at R685/USD 66 is too good to be true. I'm worried!

However, they are an established legitimate business who have to play by the rules like this charger compliance problem they seem to be facing. Going through their website with FB page, product range etc should assure you product authenticity and warranty. The odds are now stacked in your favor.
    I'm from California, so you're about 10,000 miles off. You're right, it's just a question of how much quality do you want to pay for. For your basic 4-cell magicshine-type pack, it seems the main choices boil down to:

Price/ Brand/ Cells/ mAh
    $10/ generic ebay, DX, etc./ mystery/ mystery

$20/ Trustfire/ Trustfire/ 3300-3700ish

$35/ Magicshine/ BAK/ 4400 actual

$35/ Hunk Lee/ Panasonic/ 6200 (?)

$55/ Gemini/ Samsung/ 5200 actual

$89/ Gloworm/ Panasonic/ 5900 actual

So far the Hunk Lee battery looks very promising, you get the same Panasonic cells as the Gloworm pack (so it's probably more like 5900 than 6200 mAh), but give up the warranty, nice case/pouch, domestic shipping, etc.

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast