Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

The Battery Thread: 2013

Thanks for the update, Cat! Just bought a flashlight to use with my recycled laptop cells, but if I did not have these, I would buy those 2 for sure. Also, buying a nice solid case (saw it somewhere, cant remember where...maybe kd?) to store 4 of those 18650 cells is a great option for me. Cheap, good cell holder with very good cells and plenty of runtime on a not so bulky battery holder.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Warning!

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    I thought this was a great find so credit to Kir and to HakanC for pointing out this very interesting battery / serviceable battery holder.

Oh how I wish these were sold years ago. Right now I have all the batteries I could want so no point in me buying one. Not sure if the plug is MS compatible but likely it is. If I hear differently I'll let you know. Someone be kind enough to give HakanC another greenie ( since they won't let me give him another and he only has one..). Very nice that he pointed out that the battery/holder is sold separately. To whom it may be concerned, these will sell out fast. If you want one buy NOW.
    I decided to try this - the page shows that it will ship in 1-3 days but my order confirmation shows that it is back ordered.

BEWARE!

mtbr member

The Battery Thread: 2013

That was the holder I was referring to in my last post lol. Thanks for reminding me - it is saved now, in case I ever need one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroDank View Post
    That was the holder I was referring to in my last post lol. Thanks for reminding me - it is saved now, in case I ever need one.
    Like I said before, stuff like this sells fast. You might have to wait a couple months to get it but it will come. I just hope it's worth the wait.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Like I said before, stuff like this sells fast. You might have to wait a couple months to get it but it will come. I just hope it's worth the wait.
    So it seems, but I need a battery now! What would you order to power a 1st gen Magic Shine 816 (the bar mounted triple LED so-said 1400 lumen)?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Biobanker View Post
    So it seems, but I need a battery now! What would you order to power a 1st gen Magic Shine 816 (the bar mounted triple LED so-said 1400 lumen)?
    If urgency is the main issue Action LED has a good reputation for getting stuff out fast to people in North America. This is a good battery, quality cells, the only other thing to worry about is duty fees to Canada.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    My backordered battery with holder (http://kaidomain.com/product/details.S021564) has apparently shipped.

I will let you all know 1) if it arrives and 2) how it works when it does. For $17, cant hurt to give it a go I figure!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Ok guys,
    I will try to do the job and post a review on this hyped battery holder from Kaidomain: http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S021564

First some photos to get a feeling....
    The Battery Thread: 2013-dsc04472.jpgThe Battery Thread: 2013-dsc04473.jpgThe Battery Thread: 2013-dsc04471.jpgThe Battery Thread: 2013-dsc04470.jpg

Ok, now the facts:
    1. Plug is not Magicshine compatible!
    2. 18650 cells inside are crap - whole pack got about 2500mAh (instead the mentioned 4800mAh!) - I was expecting this, so not a problem from this side!
    3. discharge cutoff measured at 4,8V
    4. I was not able to test the overcharge cutoff - tested until 8,8V then aborted the test
    5. wouldn't say it is dive proof but should withstand some rain
    6. screws shouldn't be opend too often - screw holes are not the best

Would say it is sturdy battery holder with some cons - but it should do the trick for us DIY'folks!

PS: mayby the overcharge protection test can be done from someone who has hopefully more luck......
    ..just ride...

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    My battery also arrived.

How are you handling the plug? I want to connect it to Magicshines...and although I can get power to the light, it is not the correct plug.

Not sure how I would check the overcharge protection. That makes me worried!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    cut the cable and solder a magicshine compatible onto it!
    Other possibility I can think of is to totally pull out the existing cable from the battery compartment and connect a magicshine cable by soldering it to the green pcb!

anyone tested the overcharge protection yet?
    ..just ride...

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Received the same battery pack from Kaidomain, tried to charge it on my Imax.
    Charging went to 0.4A current and then protection pcb in battery pack activated ("connection break" on display). Thats usually a sign of unbalanced battery.
    Quickly opened it, measured voltage on cells...one pair was at 4.28V, another at 3.98V. Thats the overcharge protection at 4.3v and it works on my battery pack.
    So basically one pair has way lower capacity than another and gets overcharged. If you try to use it like this - you'll quickly kill overcharged pair and since second pair is not getting charged to maximum capacity you'll get ~2000-2500mAh total capacity. If only these packs came with balance lead...

Gotta measure capacity of each cell and post the result here in a few days, but yeah - consider this a battery holder, not a battery pack. It really needs a quality cells replacement.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Kir View Post
    Charging went to 0.4A current and then protection pcb in battery pack activated ("connection break" on display). Thats usually a sign of unbalanced battery.
    Quickly opened it, measured voltage on cells...one pair was at 4.28V, another at 3.98V. Thats the overcharge protection at 4.3v and it works on my battery pack.
    So basically one pair has way lower capacity than another and gets overcharged. If you try to use it like this - you'll quickly kill overcharged pair and since second pair is not getting charged to maximum capacity you'll get ~2000-2500mAh total capacity. If only these packs came with balance lead...

Gotta measure capacity of each cell and post the result here in a few days, but yeah - consider this a battery holder, not a battery pack. It really needs a quality cells replacement.
    Kir,

If you could post some possible solutions and or some suggested replacement cells, it would be appreciated. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Hey Kir great prices. Is FastTech reliable? I was looking through their site for a good 2S2P battery holder with good and reliable overcharge and discharge protection. Anybody have any ideas for where to get one.

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Very reliable, its one of the best sites with electronic components. You may find these batteries a bit cheaper on aliexpress, but fasttech offers more choices and guaranteed quality. Also use "BLF" or "CPF" coupon at checkout for small discount
    $6.15 2S2P 7.4V 18650 Holder with Battery Build-in PCM Protection Circuit Module at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping - holder.
    $4.15 2S1P 2*18650 7.4V Holder Case Battery Li-Ion PCM Protection Circuit Module - max. battery length 67mm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping this one may also work, i use protection PCB from them for building my battery packs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yea Fasttech has proofed itself as a reliable seller!

Hey Kir, these protection pcb's from the holders - how reliable are they?
    Heard somewhere that they die after some time or just stopped working?
    Considering to use this holders more often! (have already some on my desk...)
    But if the pcb is known to be not that reliable it doesn't make sense...
    ..just ride...

mtbr member
    But under the specs it says

"Over charge detection voltage 4.25Vą0.025V"

that doesn't seem like it would work for a 7.4 volt setup. Does it detect charging on individual cells??

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    They work fine for me, haven't had any of them die yet.

And yes, of course they detect voltage on every cell in series - thats the point of protection pcb. Even chinese batteries have same pcb in them with 3 wires like this:
    http://i.imgur.com/BeotWhX.jpg
    Wire on the left is used to detect voltage on each pair of cells.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The cheap battery pack starts to look a little expensive when you factor in new cells, pcb and lead - you end up paying $17.40 for the aluminium box.

I am thinking I might just modify one of these 1pc 18650 Battery Case 2 x Parallel Connection DIY Case | eBay to be 2s1p, add a pcb, some 3400 Panasonics and a magicshine lead & you are good to go

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    New pcb? New lead? This battery pack already had protection pcb built-in. And of course it has power lead, you may add the balance lead though - but it cost 50 cents or so.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by find_bruce View Post
    The cheap battery pack starts to look a little expensive when you factor in new cells, pcb and lead - you end up paying $17.40 for the aluminium box.

I am thinking I might just modify one of these 1pc 18650 Battery Case 2 x Parallel Connection DIY Case | eBay to be 2s1p, add a pcb, some 3400 Panasonics and a magicshine lead & you are good to go
    Look Bruce, you don't want to do that. Makes no sense to buy the best batteries available and then slap them into a piece of plastic junk. You'd be better off buying the cell holders from Fasttech or BatterySpace. Personally I don't like the 4 cell flat packs. I'd buy two of the 2-cell series packs, glue them together to make a 4-square and then wire them in parallel using a MagicShine type connector. Secondly you have to add a strap to keep the cells from falling out. Then just buy a cheap battery bag from almost anywhere.

Like I said before, ( having used a cell holder before ), it seems like a good idea at first because you can buy 18650 cells separately at really decent prices. The problem is that you will really get tired of removing the cells if you want to charge them separately. You can try charging them like other ( soldered ) packs but don't be surprised if that doesn't work so great. Since the cells in holders are connected only by friction there can be slight voltage drops at the contact points if the cells are not making really good contact with the connectors. This could throw off the balancing action of the PCB. This is why if you use holders it is better to charge the cells separately. After a while it will become a PITA. So much easier to just plug something in. Then again maybe I'm just lazy.

Anyway, you won't really see a price advantage until you start to buy your second set of batteries. Of course that's only if you continue to use the holder.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'll second Cat's remarks. My experience with battery holders using coil springs, while limited, was poor. The spring allows the battery to bounce off the fixed contact and break the circuit. Depending on your light that makes it turn off or switch modes or maybe just flicker. If you want to use holders get the ones available through Digikey. They have a formed springy sheetmetal contact on each end of the cell. I use 3 packs made with them and never had a problem. More money than the ebay ones, but I am certain you'll be happier with the performance.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    A few quick points

I agree it is preferable to solder a pack rather than using springs - I was referring to the kaidoman box above which also uses springs.

I would prefer to use 2 quality cells to get 3400 mAh than 4 crappy ones to get 4400 mAh. YMMV

CatMan wiring 2 series holders together is the wrong way round - much better to get 2 parallel holders and wire them in series - for the reasons touched on in this thread

Kir the reason for changing the cable is that the plug is different from the typical magicshine plug.

Personally I would not be happy with a PCB like that tested by Whitedog1 & failed to recognise overcharge at 8.8v YMMV

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Cut off 0.5cm of extra rubber from plug and it becomes macigshine compatible. All these lights use 5.5x2.1mm connectors, just the shape is a bit different.
    My battery charger is very reliable so i don't care about overcharge protection (which was actually working on my battery pack).

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    after this info and
    Quote Originally Posted by find_bruce View Post
    Personally I would not be happy with a PCB like that tested by Whitedog1 & failed to recognise overcharge at 8.8v YMMV
    i disassambled the battery pack again and manually disbalanced (4,2/3,8v) the cells! Then rebuild the pack and connected it to a magicshine carger.
    And...... it quickly cuts off charging after connecting - so I assume that there is some working overcharge protection!!
    Can not explain why in the other test with my Hobby charger the voltage goes up to 8.8V without shutdown! (maybe because i did the test in NiMh mode....)

Hey Kir any Info according the capacity measurements?
    ..just ride...

Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast