Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    the alarm plugs directly into the charging connector on this previously mentioned ebay battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    An audible alarm would be sweet provided you can turn it off once it goes off. This alarm seems to be set for low voltage ( 3.3volts ) That means it has to be wired directly to the cells. Not something the novice is going to have an easy time doing. Personally I'd rather deal with blinking warning lights.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    the alarm plugs directly into the charging connector on this previously mentioned ebay battery.
    According to the links you supplied the battery has a balance lead that has a "3" connection plug. The alarm looks to have "4" leads. Is there something I'm missing?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    According to the links you supplied the battery has a balance lead that has a "3" connection plug. The alarm looks to have "4" leads. Is there something I'm missing?
    Yep, you're missing that these alarms are designed to be used with 2-3 cell lipo batteries, so one pin is unused if you're only using 2 cell.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DRILLINDK View Post
    I'm a newbie to lights. I don't own one yet, but I'm in the market for one. I'm considering some of the Xeccon lights....any suggestions?
    Anyone with our dental skills and tools should be able to DIY a light as good or better than anything you can buy. (I posted a simple step-by-step on the DIY forum).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ofroad'bent View Post
    Anyone with our dental skills and tools should be able to DIY a light as good or better than anything you can buy. (I posted a simple step-by-step on the DIY forum).
    Nothing wrong with DIY ( although all of this is off topic ), Not everyone wants to fabricate their own light. A few years back when LED lighting was all new, DIY was the "IN Thing" because bike lights were more expensive ( and there were less to choose from). Then along came the MagicShine 808. As cheap as they were ( quality and price ) they still caught the attention ( and pocketbooks ) of a lot of people. Even the seasoned DIY'ers at the time had to concede that they couldn't make a light for that kind of money.

Things have changed a lot since those days. Now the Chinese lamps are even more inexpensive. For anywhere between $30-$50 you can get a decent light head ( if you choose wisely ) that will work and work good enough to do serious mountain biking. Your DIY light will be better ( depending on your design and skill level ) but no way will it be easier than just plunking down a handful of bills for a Chinese made lamp. Hard to justify the effort to do a DIY unless you really just want the satisfaction of doing it yourself. Nothing wrong with that if it's your thing.

mtbr member
    Nothing wrong with DIY ( although all of this is off topic ), Not everyone wants to fabricate their own light. A few years back when LED lighting was all new, DIY was the "IN Thing" because bike lights were more expensive ( and there were less to choose from). Then along came the MagicShine 808. As cheap as they were ( quality and price ) they still caught the attention ( and pocketbooks ) of a lot of people. Even the seasoned DIY'ers at the time had to concede that they couldn't make a light for that kind of money.

Things have changed a lot since those days. Now the Chinese lamps are even more inexpensive. For anywhere between $30-$50 you can get a decent light head ( if you choose wisely ) that will work and work good enough to do serious mountain biking. Your DIY light will be better ( depending on your design and skill level ) but no way will it be easier than just plunking down a handful of bills for a Chinese made lamp. Hard to justify the effort to do a DIY unless you really just want the satisfaction of doing it yourself. Nothing wrong with that if it's your thing.
    Yeah, sorry, off topic a bit. I did show how to make up a battery pack too.

The DIY build I showed is smaller and lighter than the Chinese ones, and the driver is more efficient. The housing is more of a kit than a home-brew.

The L-flex driver, or the newer less expensive Mobydrv, have a lot more flexibility than the ones in the Chinese lights. I like 5 even levels of brightness, with the ability to go up or down a level easily as opposed to the Chinese clicky on-off type. The low-voltage electronic switching should be more reliable. Also able to use the very latest Cree XML-2 with the nicest compact optic out there, for more output and a choice of beams.

DIY solder connections seem more solid than the Magicshine types too.

Here's the thread
    Easy2LED housing with external switch build

It will cost a bit more, and take more time, but it's a better, smaller light, with excellent battery cells.
    OK, no more hijack.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Hard to justify the effort to do a DIY unless you really just want the satisfaction of doing it yourself. Nothing wrong with that if it's your thing.
    I'll further derail this thread, apologies in advance. More than the satisfaction of doing it yourself for me, is getting exactly what I want. Just like many cyclists will spec their own build or swap parts around on a standard build we all have some particular preference.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Cat man do, sorry off topic. I purchased two magicshines (single XML) from GeoManGear right before they bellied up. I then purchased a clone from Amazon. I can't tell the difference, it looks Identical, so I assume I got a junk battery from Amazon. So far, no complaints. The price difference was so great I have to assume it's the battery. Long story...I just wanted to thank you for doing what you do and the review(s) for Leonard.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    So I just bought two of these batteries and now know it does not have a pcb. I wanted to add a pcb to it but I can't find anything on how to choose a pcb. Does any one know which pcb I should order for this battery pack or better yet how to choose a pcb for battery pack. This is the light I'm going to run them with. SolarStorm 5000 Lumen 2x CREE XM-L U2 LED Bicycle Bike HeadLight found on ebay. I also ordered two lights, one for me and one for a friend. Sorry if this is off topic.

Thanks,
    Megan

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Heres the battery pack I ordered. USA 8 4V 7 4V Battery Pack for CREE XML T6 SSC P7 12400mAh Capacity Guaranteed | eBay. It didn't show up in my reply.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kittyloves2bite View Post
    So I just bought two of these batteries and now know it does not have a pcb. I wanted to add a pcb to it but I can't find anything on how to choose a pcb. Does any one know which pcb I should order for this battery pack or better yet how to choose a pcb for battery pack. This is the light I'm going to run them with. SolarStorm 5000 Lumen 2x CREE XM-L U2 LED Bicycle Bike HeadLight found on ebay. I also ordered two lights, one for me and one for a friend. Sorry if this is off topic.

Thanks,
    Megan
    You could put one of these in line, Megan.
    Protection Circuit LI ION LI PO Battery Pack 7 4V 8 4V | eBay

mtbr member
    You could put one of these in line, Megan.
    Protection Circuit LI ION LI PO Battery Pack 7 4V 8 4V | eBay
    My suggestion would be to ask the seller of the battery if it's possible to add a PCB to the battery FIRST. Since that battery is already built adding a PCB might require removing the shrink wrap and desoldering some of the wires. This is not something a novice will be comfortable with. Hopefully there would be a schematic drawing included with the PCB to help guide you so you know what wire goes where.

Then again you need to know just how many cells are being used in the build. I figure the battery might have 8 cells. Maybe that's why there is no PCB.

Lastly, if this is truly a 12400mAh battery and you are going to use it with a lamp like the Solarstorm X2, chances are you will never come close to using all the battery power in one ride but that's my take on it. Without a PCB the biggest worry would be short circuit protection. I don't remember now if the listing on that battery included a fuse. If not you could certainly add one without too much fuss ( assuming one understands basic electronic wiring ).

mtbr member
    Also protect the pack. Those LiPos are fragile and potentially explosive.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    My suggestion would be to ask the seller of the battery if it's possible to add a PCB to the battery FIRST. Since that battery is already built adding a PCB might require removing the shrink wrap and desoldering some of the wires. This is not something a novice will be comfortable with. Hopefully there would be a schematic drawing included with the PCB to help guide you so you know what wire goes where.

Then again you need to know just how many cells are being used in the build. I figure the battery might have 8 cells. Maybe that's why there is no PCB.

Lastly, if this is truly a 12400mAh battery and you are going to use it with a lamp like the Solarstorm X2, chances are you will never come close to using all the battery power in one ride but that's my take on it. Without a PCB the biggest worry would be short circuit protection. I don't remember now if the listing on that battery included a fuse. If not you could certainly add one without too much fuss ( assuming one understands basic electronic wiring ).
    I already ordered them or I would have done that... =/ I've done soldering and heat shrinking before. So that is no big deal to me. Here is what the sell says about the battery pack.

You are buying (1) one 8.4 volt, 91.8Wh, 12400mAh battery pack for the Cree XML-T6 LED or SSC P7 headlight. It can also be used with any device that runs on 7.4 to 8.4V voltage.

This is a very large pack capable of providing 30W continuously. It can run a 10W light for more than 9 hours or a 30W light for more than 3 hours. I build the battery pack myself, in my spare time as a hobby. Shipping from Houston, Texas via USPS Priority Mail so it will arrive quickly in as little as 3 days.

Specifications:
    Maximum charge voltage = 8.4V, 4.2V per cell
    Minimum discharge voltage (cutoff) = 6.0V, 3.0V per cell
    Guaranteed capacity = 12400mAh
    Energy content = 91.8Wh (7.4V x 12.4Ah)
    Continuous discharge rate = 0.33C or 30W (limited by the wire size. I can use thicker wires but it won't be as flexible.)
    Pack weight: 18 oz total including connectors and shrink tubing
    Pack dimension: 96 x 70 x 32mm [3.8 x 2.8 x 1.26in]
    Main connector for charging and discharging = 5.5 x 2.1mm female power jack, center pin is positive (+), housing is negative (-)
    Balance connector = JST 3-pin

Details: Unlike other 8.4V pack, this battery pack is built with a 2s JST connector. This 3-pin connector lets you manage each of the two cell groups independently. The 3-pin connector can be used with any RC balance charger to ensure exact balance between the cells. Pack capacity and longevity are maximized when the cells are in balance.

Construction: This battery pack is built with four (4) HPPN787196 high quality cells manufactured in S Korea or in Japan. The configuration is 2s2p (2 groups of cells in series, 2 cells per group). Each cell is fully tested and capacity is matched before assembly. The battery pack is tested again after assembly.

Pack capacity test:
    Balance charge the pack to 8.4V (4.2V per cell)
    Discharge at 4.1A (0.33C) until 6.0V (3.0V per cell)
    Any pack that has less than 12400mAh is discarded.

12400mAh or 91.8Wh is the minimum capacity of the pack.

The pack will be shipped at the proper storage voltage, 7.6V to 7.8V. It needs to be charged up to 8.4V before use.

The Coca Cola can in the pictures is for size perspective/comparison only. It's not included in this purchase.

Thanks for looking.

And just so everyone is clear the battery Im talking about is the one in post #85 Page 4... I don't think I can add links yet or I would.

The fuse sounds like a good idea but I want the pcb to cut the battery off so I don't discharge it to much. I ordered one of the Imax bc ac chargers to charge the battery.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Also protect the pack. Those LiPos are fragile and potentially explosive.
    Yeah the explosive part I really don't care for lol. The pcb you said to use will work with that light? I don't know enough to know if the pcb and the led driver need to match at all for it to work. I also don't know what driver the solarstorm has... i have to wait till the light gets here to rip it apart.

mtbr member

4 - cell 18650 battery/ battery holder

I thought this was a great find so credit to Kir and to HakanC for pointing out this very interesting battery / serviceable battery holder.

Oh how I wish these were sold years ago. Right now I have all the batteries I could want so no point in me buying one. Not sure if the plug is MS compatible but likely it is. If I hear differently I'll let you know. Someone be kind enough to give HakanC another greenie ( since they won't let me give him another and he only has one..). Very nice that he pointed out that the battery/holder is sold separately. To whom it may be concerned, these will sell out fast. If you want one buy NOW.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Cat those Kaidomain battery packs come with built in PCB, is it ok to use PROTECTED 18650 batteries, or must I rather use unprotected cells? (I have some protected 18560 Panasonics off intl-outdoor.com)
    I would like to charge the pack with my old Magicshine charger or possibly buy a generic Chinese charger.
    Thanks!
    Goatman
    - It's not the destination that counts but how you get there -

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goatman View Post
    Cat those Kaidomain battery packs come with built in PCB, is it ok to use PROTECTED 18650 batteries, or must I rather use unprotected cells? (I have some protected 18560 Panasonics off intl-outdoor.com)
    I would like to charge the pack with my old Magicshine charger or possibly buy a generic Chinese charger.
    Thanks!
    If the holder uses a circuit ( PCB ) to protect the batteries "unprotected batteries" would be the better way to go. Not a big issue but I'd go with unprotected cells.

Since it was mentioned that the holder is not designed to be taken apart constantly, I would think it a good idea to charge the batteries using a standard 7.4volt 4-cell charger. While it is nice to be able to take the cells out and either charge them separately or switch them with others, *I found that changing out cells on a 4-cell holder to be quite tedious. ( * Note, I own a 4-cell holder just not this particular one ) If you can keep the cells inside the housing and charge them without taking them out that is the easier way to go.

User beware though, cell holders can be problematic. Springs and contacts can lose their tension over time. This could cause unexpected power outages. Every once in a while it will necessary to make adjustments and to deoxidize the contacts.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    CAT:"Since it was mentioned that the holder is not designed to be taken apart constantly, I would think it a good idea to charge the batteries using a standard 7.4volt 4-cell charger."
    Is there a specific generic Chinese charger that you would recommend? I don't trust my old Magicshine charger, currently made my own 4 protected 18650 cell battery pack that requires me to remove the cells and charge them separately from the pack. This can get a bit tedious, so would prefer an external 8.4volt charger.
    Last edited by goatman; 06-09-2013 at 02:04 AM. Reason: spelling
    Goatman
    - It's not the destination that counts but how you get there -

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goatman View Post
    CAT:"Since it was mentioned that the holder is not designed to be taken apart constantly, I would think it a good idea to charge the batteries using a standard 7.4volt 4-cell charger."
    Is there a specific generic Chinese charger that you would recommend? I don't trust my old Magicshine charger, currently made my own 4 protected 18650 cell battery pack that requires me to remove the cells and charge them separately from the pack. This can get a bit tedious, so would prefer an external 8.4volt charger.
    Oddly enough the only chargers I've ever had a problem with are the one's designed to charge single 18650 cells. I've had two of those go up. Never had a problem with any multi-cell 7.4 volt charger. If you live in the USA you could just order one from ActionLED and be done with it. The cheaper generic Chinese chargers I'd stay away. from if I were you. Nothing wrong with the MagicShine chargers as long as it is one of the ones sold with the newer models. If you have one of the original models then yeah, I wouldn't trust that either.

( edit * Goatman, If you still live in South Africa you could order a charger from Xeccon Revolution. Just make sure you get one with the right wall plug. )

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I second what Cat man do said!!!

mtbr member
    First: Ordered the 4400Ah 4 cell battery and 1a charger for Xeccon, and got a message they could not complete order and were sending a refund, without specifying any reason why. Both items are indicated as in stock.

EDIT: Just got notice the problem is shipping batteries by air ( I live in HI).

Are the magicshine batts/chargers at Action of the same quality/safety?

Second: Would the 2a charger be appropriate or even better for such batteries? Advantages, disadvantages?

Third: Below is a steel case for a circular saw I'm thinking about using for indoor charging. Any thoughts on that, and maybe a possible need for venting to relieve possible compression?

The Battery Thread: 2013-photoiqnu.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pigmode View Post
    First: Ordered the 4400Ah 4 cell battery and 1a charger for Xeccon, and got a message they could not complete order and were sending a refund, without specifying any reason why. Both items are indicated as in stock.

Second: Would the 2a charger be appropriate or even better for such batteries? Advantages, disadvantages?
    The air courier for Xeccon probably doesn't ship directly to Hawaii. Likely there is no air relay from continental USA to Hawaii. Anything ordered from ActionLED should be fine.

About the charger; would need to see the link. If this is a charger designed to charge a 7.4 volt battery then I'm assuming that the current splits in the parallel battery configuration and each cell sees 1A. This is the maximum recommended charging current for 18650 cells and should be fine. If you want fast charging, this should work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pigmode View Post

Third: Below is a steel case for a circular saw I'm thinking about using for indoor charging. Any thoughts on that, and maybe a possible need for venting to relieve possible compression?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photoiqnu.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	149.7 KB 
ID:	807916
    Hi Pigmode, thanks for the updated clarification. We did reply you with an explanation within minutes of the order. Sometimes our updates end up in the JunkMail folder. We communicate and talk a lot. I don't think anybody doubts that. Shipping Lithium batteries by air has been a real challenge since Jan this year. There were problems and restrictions before but it suddenly became a real problem with IATA after the fires in the Boeing 787 Dreamliners. Since then the requirements goal post has been shifting so erratically that now most carriers out of China like DHL, FedEX, UPS will send the items back the moment they detect Li-ion inside. Things are going to get worse, not better.

Currently the problems are sending from China, and worse, if it's heading to the USA. To other countries it's easier, for now. If it's shipping just a battery pack by itself, forget it. Nobody will legitimately ship it for you. It used to be ok if sent in a set, now that's out too. It can only be sent if it's installed in the equipment. Lets see when this changes.

We were able to send items ordered lately by mtbr members in the US mainland because we've send the items without batteries and raided Bloomington IN's battery stock to power those lights. I am sure at least one customer will acknowledge this on mtbr soon. USPS is getting very restrictive too so I don't necessarily agree it will be easier for a US seller to ship to HI by air. We have plans to deal with this enduring problem soon.

2A chargers charge twice as fast but 1A is just a little bit better for the batteries. A slow TLC charge is good for Lithium batteries. Having said that, we supply 2A in AU. Riders have no patience with overnight charging. The aim is a full charge in about 3-4 hours for a 6600mAh pack.

Coincidental but your charging enclosure looks very much like the box used to house the Lithiums in the Dreamliners. An old paint can will suffice if I was to suggest one. Personally I don't use them. I just charge them under supervision. Charging Li-ion is generally safe but bear in mind this is also dependent on the charger and protection circuit working 100%. It may not have anything to do with the batteries persay. I think the Dreamliner demonstrates no matter how much state-of-the-art tech the plane has, the whole thing got undone by possibly small faulty circuit boards.
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member

New Samsung and Sanyo 18650's : Fasttech super deals

In keeping up to date on the battery world I noticed yesterday that Fasttech is quickly drawing a lot of attention from people in the portable LED lighting world. Fasttech is offering lots of things at really decent prices.

These Samsung protected 3000mAh cells are just an example. A month ago I paid $11 for "one" Panasonic unprotected 3100mAh cell ( plus shipping ). Fasttech has these Samsungs for $13.31 FOR TWO ( no shipping cost ). That's too good a deal to ignore. They also sell a lot of other 18650 cells made by both Samsung and Sanyo. These are not knock-offs these are the real deal, at least that is what I'm hearing from different forums on the net.

Lots of goodies being sold over at Fasttech AND AT DECENT PRICES. If you buy 18650's from them just be sure you don't order the Samsung cells that have the 4.35 peak voltage upgrade UNLESS you have the special charger to charge the cells. Yes, Fasttech sells those too. Matter of fact I may decide to try those out myself. The charger cost about $8 so not a big deal. For the time being though I'll likely stick to cells that peak out at 4.2 volts. If you're into torches or 18650 cell holders, Fasttech is the new player on the block for LED Lighting/supplies.

I have a feeling this might be one of the reasons why Xeccon has decided not to use Panasonic cells.. Hopefuly this type of competition in the battery world will help lower prices on the Panasonic's as well.

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast