Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    In reference to the above post: I tested the Xeccon 6-cell ( hard shell ) 6600mAh battery last night before going to bed. It ran my Tri-clone lamp for 3hrs and 13 minutes on high before shutting down. That is about what I expected so very good IMO.

The battery was sent to me free of charge for testing purposes. I was told the "hard shell" set-up was a test to see how people like it. With the single wide Velcro strap it attaches very much like the batteries sold by DiNotte. ( soft pad contacts where the shell fits against the bike tube ) The outer shell looks very water-proof although there is no way to really test that theory without breaking the shell.

Not sure "when" these will be available to the general public. The website still sells the "soft pack" version. I'm sure Xeccon will chime in here with more details.
    Cat,

Based on your experience, would you recommend gong with the Xeccon hard shell battery vs the soft shell?

Also, with the helmet light would the best option be to just carry the battery in a camelpak or something? New to the whole light and night ride scene. TIA!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DRILLINDK View Post
    Cat,

Based on your experience, would you recommend gong with the Xeccon hard shell battery vs the soft shell?

Also, with the helmet light would the best option be to just carry the battery in a camelpak or something? New to the whole light and night ride scene. TIA!
    Both the "hard shell and soft pack Xeccon 6-cells have the same cells as far as I know. Choosing one or the other depends on your needs or riding style. The hard shell will shed water better as it looks very water-resistant. The hard shell probably adds some extra weight though. It also likely will get cold faster than than soft pack pouch.

If you're going to use the 6-cell battery to power a helmet light you would likely be better off with the soft pack ( since you can remove the battery from the pack ) but than again a minor issue as both will work.

As for carrying a battery for a helmet lamp most people tend to use 4-cell batteries. When using the 4-cell I carry mine in a back-pack ( Camelback style ) arrangement. Others carry theirs in a jersey pocket. Those people are best served if they use a flat 4-cell. On occasion I also use a two-cell and mount it to my helmet and on other occasions I just use a single cell torch. The lamp/battery set-up I use will depend on "where" I chose to ride and how long that ride will generally take.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Cat,

What helmet light are you running that's needs that much power and / or run time??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    What helmet light are you running that's needs that much power and / or run time??

I'm a newbie to lights. I don't own one yet, but I'm in the market for one. I'm considering some of the Xeccon lights....any suggestions?
    Last edited by DRILLINDK; 02-24-2013 at 11:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'm a newbie to lights. I don't own one yet, but I'm in the market for one. I'm considering some of the Xeccon lights....any suggestions?
    This is a battery thread...there are plenty of "What light do I want?" threads/
    Xeccon makes nice lights though....and nice combo packages

mtbr member
    So I was one of the lucky 2 who got free Xeccon 6.6 ah hard shell 6-cells battery packs. I recieved it very quickly. It is a bit bigger size wise than I thought it would be. It looks very well made and has a heavy guage wire coming out. Here are some pictures comparing it to a 4 cell clone soft battery pack.

As you can see it is a bit heavier than the clone, but that is to be expected with 2 more cells, a hard case and the beefy velcro strap that comes with it. I am trying to wait till I receive my 3X XML t6 light head before I test it for longevity. I would have to run my 1x XML for too long.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    ^ Yes....if you have a 1x XML light...the Xeccon will run it for a very long time. I have a Hi-Max XML U2 light...that with the stock battery, it ran 7 hours before I got bored and disconnected it.
    I will be posting my Xeccon review after a few more cycles. Thanks for taking the photos...now I don't have to.

mtbr member
    So I tested my new battery with my new 3x XML T6 chinese clone light and got about 3 hours and 15 minutes out of it with the light on high. This is great for me. The light mounts very securely to my frame. The velcro strap that comes with it is great. Its very wide and holds great. I wouldn't use a battery this big for my 1x XML T6 light, but it rocks for my 3x. The 3 plus hours run time gives me about an hour cushion on most night rides I do. If I'm going to be out longer than that I would just go to low or medium output when I could.

mtbr member

ToBest Li-Po battery

Runtime test with 4 sets of 3 x XM-L T6 lights and the 6000mAh rated Li-Po batteries came in at Set 1 - 3 hours: 14 mins. Set 2 - 3 : 23. Set 3 - 3: 25 and Set 4 - 3: 26. These are pretty similar runtimes with Xeccon 6600mAh's times using the same light heads. Are the ToBest Li-Po under-rated or the Xeccons Li-ion over-rated? The batteries were charged using our 2A charger with similar ambient conditions.

It is worth nothing this battery may be available for sale individually. We just need to have the connectors back to standard round. Most will be asking who is ToBest? Well, they are former Inton. They have split and while they share a couple of models like the NB-04 and NB-02, the new NB series are all from ToBest. We have suggested they change the brand name since it's doing their good products a disservice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Battery Thread: 2013-tobest-li-po-runtime-screenshot.jpg  

The Battery Thread: 2013-li-po-nb-08-runtime-test.jpg  

Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hi,

i havent seen this battery here, and since ai think It is the best battery for the price so far, sold by a USA seller, with a great guaranteed capacity, recomended for the triple and quad led lights.

Here it is, with 12 400 mah, and compact size and just 37 bucks! Check it out:

USA 8 4V 7 4V Battery Pack for CREE XML T6 SSC P7 12400mAh Capacity Guaranteed | eBay

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lichitisky View Post
    Hi,

i havent seen this battery here, and since ai think It is the best battery for the price so far, sold by a USA seller, with a great guaranteed capacity, recomended for the triple and quad led lights.

Here it is, with 12 400 mah, and compact size and just 37 bucks! Check it out:

USA 8 4V 7 4V Battery Pack for CREE XML T6 SSC P7 12400mAh Capacity Guaranteed | eBay
    Hard to beat the price! The seller also sells a smaller version ( 6200mAh ) that is half the size ( $19.95+shipping ). The only problem is the unorthodox size of the battery as they tend to be long and wide ( 96mm x 70mm ). Then if you don't have a Li-po charger you will have to buy one. The upside is the battery is setup with an extra lead for balance charging. I have no idea if the other plug is MS compatible. If you don't mind taking a chance on something sold on ebay roll them dice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Hard to beat the price! The seller also sells a smaller version ( 6200mAh ) that is half the size ( $19.95+shipping ). The only problem is the unorthodox size of the battery as they tend to be long and wide ( 96mm x 70mm ). Then if you don't have a Li-po charger you will have to buy one. The upside is the battery is setup with an extra lead for balance charging. I have no idea if the other plug is MS compatible. If you don't mind taking a chance on something sold on ebay roll them dice.
    Since he guarantees the capacity, I guees wouldent be a problem to buy this pack, charge it, and test its capacity right of the box. If it doesnt meet the description, can be returned and the money refunded.

Right now i cant give it a go, cuz Im in Brazil and the shipping costs as much as the item. When my brother gets to US I will maybe give it go.

I was just replied by the seller, who told me that the chemestry within this battery is the same used in 18650 batteries (Lithium cobalt). Its not a unstable as the Lipo ones. Wich is good. The conecter used is said to be compatible with the one used by magicshine 808, wich I think is the standard along the whole line os lights.

The bad part is having to buy a especial charger. But seams worth in the long run.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    In the description on this ebay battery, I don't think it said anything about a protection PCB.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    In the description on this ebay battery, I don't think it said anything about a protection PCB.
    Well noticed Vancbiker. I assumed it has one when i saw this part of this description:

Specifications:
    Minimum discharge voltage (cutoff) = 6.0V, 3.0V per cell

Anyways, i sent a question about it and will soon let you know about this.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Hope the reply is that it has protection. I think it does not. Main reason for that is the statement about the "burst discharge rate" being limited by the wire size, not a PCB.

mtbr member
    Hope the reply is that it has protection. I think it does not. Main reason for that is the statement about the "burst discharge rate" being limited by the wire size, not a PCB.
    It may indeed have a PCB...the cutoff voltage is listed as 6 volts and the "continuous maximum discharge rate" is listed as 3.1A. I think there would have to be a PCB for it have have those limitations. Actually, I could wish for a little higher max. discharge rate.

mtbr member
    The bad part is having to buy a especial charger.
    We know the norm is to use a hobby charger like Turnigy to charge LiPo batteries. Stumbled upon charging it with standard chargers and they work fine - the NB-08 sets came with standard chargers. This was before I discovered it was LiPo inside the pack so it actually hit me much later. Been using our chargers with two LiPo packs I am using in for my helmet lights since. No problems and runtime is consistent.

Having said that, I would like to put out a disclaimer that eveyone should take steps to ensure they charge Lithium Polymer batteries with hobby chargers if possible and always charge when under supervision. When using standard chargers best to charge it in a can like a used paint can that's been cleaned out.
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Just received the replay from the selller. Unfortunately, there is no PCB in it. He said it would limit the max pack capacity to the capacity of the lowest cell in it.

I asked him how much it would be to add the PCB.

Xeccon, I dont know much about batteries but he told me the chemestry os this cells is not the same of the RC toys, it would be the one used in the 18650, and cell phone.. Dont know if it changes anything.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have a decent duratrax lipo charger, may give that eBay battery a shot. My Gemini Olympia runtimes have been lackluster in the cold and I feel like it it due to the current demand. My RC battery all have thick (14awg?) Wiring but is still flexible with silicone jacket. If someone sold a decent reasonably priced Rc battery to magic shine adaptor with heavy gauge wire I think it would be a hit. If they made one with a tap for a voltage meter it would be even better

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Does the Olympia have low voltage sensing? If not, I would hesitate using the ebay battery. It has nothing to prevent overdischarge.

mtbr member
    Just received the replay from the selller. Unfortunately, there is no PCB in it. He said it would limit the max pack capacity to the capacity of the lowest cell in it.

I asked him how much it would be to add the PCB.

Xeccon, I dont know much about batteries but he told me the chemestry os this cells is not the same of the RC toys, it would be the one used in the 18650, and cell phone.. Dont know if it changes anything.
    Lichitisky, please ask the seller how the battery cut-off works. They are listing a 6 volt cutoff. Perhaps each cell has it's own mini-PCB ( just like the protected 18650's ), then again perhaps they are just telling us the battery needs to cut-off at 6V but the user needs to supply their own cut-off source. If that's so then the ad is very deceptive.

If the battery has no actual cut-off control then people ( like me ) that have no voltage feedback indicators on their lamp are screwed. If you have the indicators then it should be no big deal, just wait till the indicators are blinking red and then stop using the battery.

Since my Gloworm X2 has no voltage indicators my only other option would be to hook my MS808E in parallel with the Gloworm and use the indicators on the 808E. Strange how I never thought of doing this before with my other batteries but it would be a good idea if I were taking a real long ride. (*Note, the 808E does not have to be on to use the indicators, just plugged into the battery )

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Unfortunately, there is no PCB in it. He said it would limit the max pack capacity to the capacity of the lowest cell in it.
    A statement like the above could be interpreted to mean bad things about his product. To start, this could imply that the cells are not very closely matched. Battery protection PCBs are meant to protect individual cells in the pack. Mis-matched cell capacity in an unprotected pack will have some cells lower in voltage at the end of the discharge than the others. Possibly below the voltage where Lithium type batteries sustain damage.

Ahhh the pain....

built 2 new battery packs

I'm doing a 300 mile bikepacking race in a few weeks and decided I'd build up a few helmet mountable battery packs using the All-Battery.com: Total Power Solution for Every Battery Need samsung based cell, 2 cell packs. (All-Battery.com: AT: Samsung Li-Ion 18650 Cylindrical 7.4V 2800mAh Flat Top Rechargeable Battery w/ PCM Protection). Below are a few pics... For these races, I run a helmet mounted Gemini Xera on low (which is very adequate when you are in the middle of nowhere in AZ). The two packs I built each went 7 hrs 50 minutes...very impressive!
    The Battery Thread: 2013-screen-shot-2013-04-02-12.25.40-pm.pngThe Battery Thread: 2013-screen-shot-2013-04-02-12.26.23-pm.jpg
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    My son uses a low voltage ALARM on his RC cars/planes, he says it should work for this battery.

Here is an example of a low voltage alarm(ebay), 7 4V 11 1v RC LiPo Battery Low Voltage Tester Checker Alarm Indicator New | eBay

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    My son uses a low voltage ALARM on his RC cars/planes, he says it should work for this battery.

Here is an example of a low voltage alarm(ebay), 7 4V 11 1v RC LiPo Battery Low Voltage Tester Checker Alarm Indicator New | eBay
    An audible alarm would be sweet provided you can turn it off once it goes off. This alarm seems to be set for low voltage ( 3.3volts ) That means it has to be wired directly to the cells. Not something the novice is going to have an easy time doing. Personally I'd rather deal with blinking warning lights.

Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast