Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Report on the Xeccon 6600mAh Li-ion

So I got my new Xeccon 6600 mAh Li-ion battery on Friday. I bought it for use in my Amazon special 1200 Lumen CREE XML T6 Bulb LED light. Shipping took about a week. The order seems to go on the Australian website, then they contact their North American distributor to ship the battery. It was $56.48 with shipping which took about a week.
    It is bigger than the old one, but that is to be expected. It took much longer to recharge than the old one, to be expected. Probably around 6 hours or so.
    I took my first ride on it last night. After the one hour mark I got some anxiety since that's all the longer the old battery would last. No issues with this new battery though and after my 2-hour ride it was still going strong. I left it on afterwards thinking I'd run it to empty so I knew how long it lasted. After 4 total hours of on time, I wanted to go to bed so I shut it down and hooked it back up to the charger. So it's life on high power with my light is > 4 hrs. It came with a pretty heavy duty velcro strap for securing it to the bike. It slid around a little bit at first but I cinched it up good and no more slipping. The electrical connection seems pretty secure.

mtbr member
    In reference to the above post: I tested the Xeccon 6-cell ( hard shell ) 6600mAh battery last night before going to bed. It ran my Tri-clone lamp for 3hrs and 13 minutes on high before shutting down. That is about what I expected so very good IMO.

The battery was sent to me free of charge for testing purposes. I was told the "hard shell" set-up was a test to see how people like it. With the single wide Velcro strap it attaches very much like the batteries sold by DiNotte. ( soft pad contacts where the shell fits against the bike tube ) The outer shell looks very water-proof although there is no way to really test that theory without breaking the shell.

Not sure "when" these will be available to the general public. The website still sells the "soft pack" version. I'm sure Xeccon will chime in here with more details.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Looks like ewarnerusa also got a hard shell Xeccon?
    Nice that you got 3 + hours on the tri clone.
    I'm going to give the Kaidomain battery another shot tonight...see if it goes more that 2 hours.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    In reference to the above post: I tested the Xeccon 6-cell ( hard shell ) 6600mAh battery last night before going to bed. It ran my Tri-clone lamp for 3hrs and 13 minutes on high before shutting down. That is about what I expected so very good IMO.

The battery was sent to me free of charge for testing purposes. I was told the "hard shell" set-up was a test to see how people like it. With the single wide Velcro strap it attaches very much like the batteries sold by DiNotte. ( soft pad contacts where the shell fits against the bike tube ) The outer shell looks very water-proof although there is no way to really test that theory without breaking the shell.

Not sure "when" these will be available to the general public. The website still sells the "soft pack" version. I'm sure Xeccon will chime in here with more details.
    I'm confused as to what Xeccon is selling on their website, their pictures are pathetic. The $50 mtbr-special pack, is it a shrink-wrapped pack or a hard pack?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    I'm confused as to what Xeccon is selling on their website, their pictures are pathetic. The $50 mtbr-special pack, is it a shrink-wrapped pack or a hard pack?
    Mine is a hard sided pack.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ewarnerusa View Post
    Mine is a hard sided pack.
    Did you buy it through the link you posted, or did they hook you up like with they did with Cat-man-do? I definitely want a hard case battery, or at least a rubber coated one. $50 for a hard case, 6600 mAh, 6 month warranty, BAK cells, is probably the best deal right now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    Did you buy it through the link you posted, or did they hook you up like with they did with Cat-man-do? I definitely want a hard case battery, or at least a rubber coated one. $50 for a hard case, 6600 mAh, 6 month warranty, BAK cells, is probably the best deal right now.
    I just used the link from page 1 of this thread.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ewarnerusa View Post
    I just used the link from page 1 of this thread.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Well...test 2 with the Kaidomain battery
    http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S020905
    And once again...only 2 hours with the tri clone.
    Heavy battery pack without much juice.
    I'm going to try to get my money back and buy the Xeccon battery.
    Side note....my tri clone power button did turn red about 2 minutes before it shut off.

mtbr member
    Hi All,

The MTBR Special on the 6600mAh battery extends to the hard shell battery for the same price - subject to stock availability. Please mention if you want the hard shell or neoprene pouch pack. In our experience, majority of mountain bikers do not like hard shell batteries like the Magicshine MJ-828. It looks good but isn't practical based on it's large size for a 4400mAh. However, the Xeccon 6600mAh is compact for a 6600mAh battery. Past feedback was most preferred to have smaller and more flexible mounting options with neoprene or soft packs. This is why we did not stock or mention this hard shell battery in our websites. We will now and will get some decent pictures soon - we have none. ewarnerusa's posting is the first time I've seen detailed pics of it.

Recent consensus is, everybody is looking for a decent quality, performance consistent, waterproof design and durable high capacity Li-ion battery...that's cheap. We have ordered these hard packs for Australia. With USA, we will supply these or the neoprenes ones base on your request - please mention it in the comments on checkout. They will be shipped from Bloomington IN as with all US orders. I will get Xeccon Light to standby more of these batteries.

We sent one to Cat for review since we're talking about batteries in this thread. We included it with the new UI Geinea set for the round 2 review. Personally, I have not seen or held these hard shell batteries. They look as robust as the MJ-6036 batteries. We prefer to let user reviews or tester's comments speak of Xeccon products rather than us telling you it's this or that good. Matt is an authority when it comes to batteries. We sent him some packs a while back to get feedback from the Li-ion guru. This is yet another independent review coming up whatever the findings may be. We are happy to send 2 of these batteries to anyone for their feedback so let me know on PM.
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member

Attention Moderators: I've been locked out of my own thread

Attention Moderators: I just noticed that the "edit" option has been removed from my first post in this thread. In order for me to keep the thread current and up to date I need to be able to continue to edit the opening post so that links that are bad can be removed and good ones added. It was my hope when I started the thread that I would be able to continue to provide an easy and quick reference for people looking to upgrade their bike light batteries. I hope the thread is allowed to continue. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    The two batteries for user review are allocated first come first serve to the mayor and Ironbrewer. Get back to you guys soon.

Cat, you should send a PM to Gregg.
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Battery question: Tonight I recharged the Kaidomain battery. When the green light came on on the charger...I unplugged it. Just for shitz n giggles...I plugged it in again and the red light stayed on for about 30 minutes before turning green.
    Is this normal?
    btw...the charger was the one that came with the tri clone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Battery question: Tonight I recharged the Kaidomain battery. When the green light came on on the charger...I unplugged it. Just for shitz n giggles...I plugged it in again and the red light stayed on for about 30 minutes before turning green.
    Is this normal?

Hard to say for sure as I've never owned one of the batteries with the larger ( 26650 ) cells. More than likely the two parallel sides of the battery self-balanced "after" the first charge. This would likely drop the voltage down till the cells equalized. This could mean that the cells in the battery are not well matched. Hopefully adding the second charge will top the battery off and give you better run times.

Anyway, glad you mentioned this so others might try this as well. I would would even try it a third time after letting it sit for about 12hrs. It's quite possible that the battery sat in storage a good while before being shipped out. While Li-ion cells have a very low self-discharge rate it's conceivable that some of the cells might discharge at a faster rate if they are not properly matched.

About the "Edit" issue: I sent a PM to Francois. Hopefully I should hear something in a couple days.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Is this normal?
    From what I have read, it depends on the characteristic of the charge control chip in the charger. Some work like you are describing. When the battery reaches very near full charge voltage, ~8.4V in this case, the charge current drops to a very low value for a set period of time then stops the charge. Theoretically you might overcharge your battery if you repeatedly cycled through that "top off" period.

In an article I saw recently a manufacturer of charge controller chips was touting their smarter chip that would not perform the "top off" cycle if a fully or very near fully charged pack were reattached to the charger. It also prevented the "top off" cycle if a charged pack was already attached when the power to the charger was turned on.

The fact that it went for 30 minutes seems like a long time. There are differences in battery protection circuits and charge circuits that don't always mesh well. One pack and charger combo I set up for a customer would never show fully charged on the charger. I finally figured out that the pack PCB was shutting off the charge before the charger was done. Likely a tiny mismatch in voltage settings between the two circuits.
    Last edited by Vancbiker; 02-20-2013 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Add content

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks guys for the info.
    I did the top off once(30 minutes)....unplugged and replugged and the light was red again. I let it charge for another 10 minutes before wondered if I am "tricking" the protection and it could over charge the battery.
    I think I will try it after letting it sit per Catman's suggestion.
    This is the 4th full charge cycle with the battery.

On a side note...I sent a email to Kaidomain telling them the battery is no where near as advertised, and I'd like to return it. I'm in a loop of "send us a video"request from them.
    I'm torn between accepting that it was a $25 experiment that didn't work out....or sending them a video of me throwing it in the trash and opening a Paypal dispute
    Last edited by the mayor; 02-20-2013 at 04:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    As per Cat man do's suggestion....I let the kaidomain 12000 mA
    battery sit over night.
    As I said above: last night I gave it a full charge and unplugged the charger from the wall when it turned green. I then replugged it in...and the red light stayed on for about 30 minutes. Unplugged and replugged and the light turned red for 10 minutes and I was running out of time...so I unplugged it.
    Let it sit about 20 hours.
    Plugged it in and it stayed red for about 15 to 20 minutes.
    Going to try and ride later....
    Last edited by the mayor; 02-20-2013 at 01:05 PM.

mtbr member

Bump charging?

Mayor and Cat-man-do and Vancbiker,
    Do you think this battery charging issue you're discussing is similar to "bump charging" a smartphone? I have done this a bit with my smartphone, but I don't bother anymore. I thought about it for my bike light battery but I've never tried it.
    From the link:
    Ever since the Droid Incredible was first released, we have heard about bump charging, and many of us are left wondering what is it, and how does one accomplish such a thing? If you have ever taken your Incredible or Thunderbolt off the charger and noticed that nearly instantly you were down to 90 percent showing on your battery meter, and were puzzled.

Well, the device charges itself fully, but does not maintain that full charge, instead keeping around a 90- to 95-percent charge and showing full. So, people have begun bump charging their device to gain that last five to ten percent back. There are a few developers who are taking stabs at making custom kernels that will combat this, but that requires root, and flashing files, and all that jazz, so they have an alternative bump charging method, which goes as follows:

1.Power up (if not already) and plug your device into a power source. As the battery is being charged, the notification LED shows a solid orange light.
    2.Wait until LED is solid green, indicating it is fully charged.
    3.Unplug, press and hold the power button, and select the option to power off.
    4.Once powered down reconnect power source.
    5.The LED will show a solid orange light again, indicating it is charging.
    6.Once it's green, unplug the device and use the power button to power up the device.
    7.Once Sense has loaded plug the phone back in again. You will notice that the LED is now orange again.
    8.Repeat steps 3-7 process until the light is green immediately upon plugging it back in (approximately 3-4 times).
    So, if you want to ensure that you are starting your day out with truly 100% battery life, follow the simple steps above, but you will unfortunately have to do this each and every time the device needs to be charged.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I tried the "bump charge" with my Droid EVO.
    I never noticed any longer run time...and if there was it was very small.
    Spending 20 minutes to get 10 more minutes out of the phone didn't make much sense to me....

mtbr member
    I tried the "bump charge" with my Droid EVO.
    I never noticed any longer run time...and if there was it was very small.
    Spending 20 minutes to get 10 more minutes out of the phone didn't make much sense to me....
    I only mention it because maybe your Kaidomain battery and/or charger uses similar logic? Obviously I have no idea, but your description of what is happening sure sounds similar to what is happening with bump charging.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I honestly don't know either....or if the whole "bump charge" is just a myth.
    All I do know is I get 1.5 hours out of the small stock 4400 battery...and 2 hours out of a supposed 12000 big battery.

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Yes, Monday and Tuesday are now no longer weekdays. Trust me. LP.
    No Rep/No Problem
    Banned For Boobies WTF?
    Don't PM Me.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I very much doubt that the cheap bike light charger has a very sophisticated charge control circuit. Doing something like the bump charge thing is likely just to very slightly overcharge the battery on the light. That extra little bit of energy stored probably adds a minute or so to your run time. I would not do that without monitoring the end of charge voltage.

There is no way that I have found to get more than ~8000mA using four 26650s at 7.4v nominal. That requires the highest real capacity cells available. I very much doubt KD is using such cells.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    That is a good battery sold by Action LED...who is a contributor here.
    When you buy from him or Xeccon ....there is good customer support.
    Buy from Ebay, Kaidomain or DX.....you may or may not get a good battery. And in my case....lacking C/S from Kaidomain

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I doubt that any 4.4ah battery is sufficient enough to power the tri or quad XML LED. I think the Xeccon solution 6.6ah is better. Even my 2 yr old GEO 6.0ah does a good job, around 2 hrs on high and pretty consistently 2.5 hrs on medium, 2 LED's.

I wouldn't use any 4.4ah on the multi LED's unless it's designed by someone like a Dinotte who specifically runs less amps to get run time. The cheap lights aren't designed well enough to use a 4.4ah battery.

MB

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast