Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice Leonard and Cat.

Tim

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Leonard- just told me that Panasonic batteries are not available to US, only if you buy a light. Also noted by Cat the square connectors do work perfect with MS and SS lights, I have last year BAT and Samsung batteries from Xeccon and still going strong.

I also still feel Serfas bike lights are the best to can buy for the money, from the light head to the battery, switch, connectors all first class. Try to find a deal on one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Battery packs?
    I have some decent batteries that i would like to use in a 4 and 6 cell setup.

Any recommendations on cases would be great. This appears to be the best one out there. A little pricey but looks solid.
    PANNOVO B-C04 Water Resistant 4 x 18650 Battery Pack Case for Bike Lamp - Black - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

I've been unable to find a 6 cell case?

also for the people out there making there own do you.
    A: Whats the best way to make sure batteries are paired? (i can source some good quality lenovo laptop batteries last set i got all 8 were great and have kept voltage without an issue)
    B: Protection circuits. do you buy the protection PCBs and if so any recommendations as i really don't know where to start on this.
    C: Leads and where to buy them from

Just as reference I want to have a 6 cell so i can run two Yinding dual XML's from.

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by steviemidnight View Post
    This appears to be the best one out there. A little pricey but looks solid.
    PANNOVO B-C04 Water Resistant 4 x 18650 Battery Pack Case for Bike Lamp - Black - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

I've been unable to find a 6 cell case?
    This is a very good case if you have your own cells. I have a couple for the lights I've made.

Right now this case is sold out at DX.

I don't think there is a 6 cell case holder yet.
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Just a quick question that is sure to be beating a dead horse, did a search, please dont sue me. Picked up a couple of lights from Amazon (assuming they may be "slightly" better than random ebay vendors). The brand is securtiying and they came with battery packs, how long do I need charge these? And how long is too long before it becomes dangerous? I already ordered a Panasonic pack for my head lamp which will be in my backpack and I will use the cheep batteries for the bar lamp with the pack mounted to the frame. Another question is I live in Switzerland (220v) but I bought these since Im in the U.S at the moment. I am assuming the charger should be able to convert 220v and I will check once I receive the package. I doubt the conversion should be a problem but I am worried about charging the cheap batteries. Any help or links to threads that have already covered this topic would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Edit; one pack is 6400mAh and the other is 4800mAh

Amazon.com : SecurityIng® 3X CREE XM-L T6 LED 3800Lm LED Headlight Headlamp and Bicycle Light (Generic Packaging) : Bike Headlights : Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com : SecurityIng® 4 Modes Waterproof 2800 Lumens Cree XM-L U2 LED Bicycle Light & 4800mAh Battery Pack & Charger, Cree U2 LED Bike Lmap Light, Super Bright Lighting Lamp Bike Light CREE LED Flashlight Torch for Outdoor Sports Like Camping, Ri
    Last edited by Swissam; 09-23-2014 at 01:54 PM.
    Switzerland doesn't need a bike park, Switzerland is a bike park.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hi Swissam, a couple of options - (1) use the chargers that come with the lights or (2) buy use the buy a hobby charger - eg see this thread & this website.

Check when you get your hands on the charger, but AFAIK all chargers use switchmode power supplies and should be compatible with 110-240 V, you just need an adaptor to use the correct plug. You should not have to remember which charger belongs to which battery as either charger should charge either battery.

Personally I prefer to use a hobby charger but the vast majority of people just use the charger that comes with the light.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by find_bruce View Post
    Hi Swissam, a couple of options - (1) use the chargers that come with the lights or (2) buy use the buy a hobby charger - eg see this thread & this website.

Check when you get your hands on the charger, but AFAIK all chargers use switchmode power supplies and should be compatible with 110-240 V, you just need an adaptor to use the correct plug. You should not have to remember which charger belongs to which battery as either charger should charge either battery.

Personally I prefer to use a hobby charger but the vast majority of people just use the charger that comes with the light.
    Thanks for the tip. Just wondering if these chargers have an automatic shut off once fully charged. Ill wait until tomorrow as I dont want to leave it on all night. How long do these battery packs normally take to charge up?

mtbr member
    Getting a 2 cell 18650 light set up via slow boat (MS 816 clone ) that use individual cells in a cradle , my question is that when I upgrade cells do I have to have Protected cells ?
    "The pity train has just derailed at the intersection of Suck It Up and Get Over It."

mtbr member
    "The pity train has just derailed at the intersection of Suck It Up and Get Over It."

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Is there a battery case that i can fill with 2x18650 cells? For my Yinding light I use at the moment the Pannovo 4x18650 battery pack with some Panasonic cells. As my nightrides are normally very short (about an hour or so) I want a lighter, less bulkier battery case that I can fill with only two 18650 cells.

I am looking for a case similar to this case on the left from Fenix:

The Battery Thread: 2013-fenix-bt20-bicycle-lights-high-intensity4.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swissam View Post
    Thanks for the tip. Just wondering if these chargers have an automatic shut off once fully charged. Ill wait until tomorrow as I dont want to leave it on all night. How long do these battery packs normally take to charge up?
    All chargers for Li-ion batteries are designed to shut off once the full charge has been reached. Most batteries are shipped with a 40% charge. Should take about 3-3.5 hrs. for the initial charge. When fully depleted the battery might take 5-6hrs to recharge. I highly recommend charging in a safe place and under supervision. Anyway most chargers have an LED indicator that will change from red to green when the battery is charged. Once charged it is a good idea to remove the battery and charger from the wall power outlet. I say this but only because i know that sometimes a voltage surge in line voltage can damage cheap electronics.

@ C.M.S. > About the protected cells; Not a big issue if you know when to switch out batteries.

@ randan > Don't know if there's a cheap 2-cell ( series ) holder but at least you have the one sold by Fenix that should work as long as the plugs are compatible. Option two is to just buy a two-cell ( 2-series ) battery. I bought one from Hunk Lee ( ebay vendor ) using Panasonic batteries for a good price although if you choose this option you will need to weather proof the battery ( which is not too hard to do ) The Hunk Lee connectors ( though not the best ) work fine depending on what type of connectors you have.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by randan View Post
    Is there a battery case that i can fill with 2x18650 cells? For my Yinding light I use at the moment the Pannovo 4x18650 battery pack with some Panasonic cells. As my nightrides are normally very short (about an hour or so) I want a lighter, less bulkier battery case that I can fill with only two 18650 cells.

I am looking for a case similar to this case on the left from Fenix:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fenix-BT20-bicycle-lights-high-intensity4.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	927506
    I'm sure you can use the Pano's with two cells. It won't be less bulky, but will be lighter.
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    All chargers for Li-ion batteries are designed to shut off once the full charge has been reached. Most batteries are shipped with a 40% charge. Should take about 3-3.5 hrs. for the initial charge. When fully depleted the battery might take 5-6hrs to recharge. I highly recommend charging in a safe place and under supervision. Anyway most chargers have an LED indicator that will change from red to green when the battery is charged. Once charged it is a good idea to remove the battery and charger from the wall power outlet. I say this but only because i know that sometimes a voltage surge in line voltage can damage cheap electronics.

@ C.M.S. > About the protected cells; Not a big issue if you know when to switch out batteries.

@ randan > Don't know if there's a cheap 2-cell ( series ) holder but at least you have the one sold by Fenix that should work as long as the plugs are compatible. Option two is to just buy a two-cell ( 2-series ) battery. I bought one from Hunk Lee ( ebay vendor ) using Panasonic batteries for a good price although if you choose this option you will need to weather proof the battery ( which is not too hard to do ) The Hunk Lee connectors ( though not the best ) work fine depending on what type of connectors you have.
    Which ones are recomended for the lighting n00b that I am ?

mtbr member

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    These Xeccon batteries look pretty nice, comes with a nice soft case, shipped from the US... great price.

Xeccon Panasonic 4-cell 6800mAh Ultimate Li-ion Battery
    Patski, I have one of the Xeccon Ulitmate 6800mAh batteries. It is definitely the best packaged battery you can get for the price. Unfortunately living in the USA you might not be able to obtain one at the moment as the last I heard they ( Xeccon ) weren't selling these ( aftermarket ) to the USA due to shortage of stock ( inside the USA ).
    If you want one you might have to contact Leonard from Xeccon and check on availability.

mtbr member
    Well, I't let me add it to the "cart," didn't click "buy" tho....

Patski, I have one of the Xeccon Ulitmate 6800mAh batteries. It is definitely the best packaged battery you can get for the price. Unfortunately living in the USA you might not be able to obtain one at the moment as the last I heard they ( Xeccon ) weren't selling these ( aftermarket ) to the USA due to shortage of stock ( inside the USA ).
    If you want one you might have to contact Leonard from Xeccon and check on availability.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Your right, thanks. Took about 3hrs to charge on 220, the charger was warm but never got too hot nor did it explode and burn my house down. I did however order two Panasonic packs from hunk_lee on ebay but I will keep the cheapo chargers as they look identical to the ones on hunk_lee's page. I tested the lights out on a friends farm in the middle of nowhere and these lights (ones I listed above) light up the whole field and will be more than enough for trial riding. I'm hoping I won't run into too many problems once I get the upgraded battery packs as these lights seem to be well built. I spent a little over $100 for both set ups (including upgrading the battery packs) and so far I'm more than happy with them. Now I just need to mount them and go ride....one the rain stops.

mtbr member
    @mtbRev....Having 4-cell batteries with the 3400mAh Panasonics available to the USA market would be a big plus. My bet is that if you had these stocked with your US supplier you would be selling so many you wouldn't be able to keep them on the shelves ( if priced as well as your others. ).

@Wombat...Having used the Xeccon batteries with the squarish connector plug myself I think some clarification is necessary. The metal connector on the Xeccon battery is actually round, just like with any other Mshine type battery. What's squarish on the plug is the rubber shield. Strange as this might seem, it works perfectly well with any lamp I own that calls for a Mshine type batttery. ( * The exceptions are: DiNotte...which doesn't work with any Mshine type battery without modding save the Hunk Lee's ) And, The Mshine type batteries that use the "screw on" connectors.

Truthfully, I don't know if any of the standard Mshine type batteries I use have connectors that are fully waterproof. Almost all the ones I own, ( except the Hunk Lee ) are very well shielded though. The square "Xeccon" ( female ) plugs work so well with my standard ( round/male ) lamp plugs that I really don't see there being a real issue ( or need for an adapter ). The fit is very tight and looks very"weather-resistant" to me if not completely "water-proof. I will also say this about the new Xeccon ( squarish) plugs; Used in combo with the matching Xeccon lamps... The fit is so smooth and tight I would bet money that they are water-proof to 1 meter.
    Maybe I had too many post ride beverages last night, but I can't envision how the fit between the "square connector" on the battery pack can have a tight fit with a MS type "Round" connector.

Is anyone able to post a picture of this connection. I would like to purchase one of the Xeccon Samsung Battery packs as a replacement pack for my MS, Gemini, and SolarStorm lights.

Xeccon Samsung 8.4V 5200mAh Li-ion Soft Shell Battery

Thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    I PM'd Leonard, these are currently NOT avail in the US, he's looking into it, will ping me when/if a decision is made. Hopefully he'll post to the community...

Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    These Xeccon batteries look pretty nice, comes with a nice soft case, shipped from the US... great price.

Xeccon Panasonic 4-cell 6800mAh Ultimate Li-ion Battery

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Viva Borracho View Post
    Maybe I had too many post ride beverages last night, but I can't envision how the fit between the "square connector" on the battery pack can have a tight fit with a MS type "Round" connector.

Is anyone able to post a picture of this connection. I would like to purchase one of the Xeccon Samsung Battery packs as a replacement pack for my MS, Gemini, and SolarStorm lights.

Xeccon Samsung 8.4V 5200mAh Li-ion Soft Shell Battery

Thanks for any help.
    I'll try to get some photos during the weekend. Xeccon also has the adapters
    ( square to round ) FWIW. If you needed an adapter I wouldn't think that they would cost more than a couple bucks but like I said before works fine without it.

The Xeccon 5200mAh battery should work very well with any lamp using 1-2 emitters. For years I ran my Gloworm X2 using 3yr old Bikeray 5200mAh batteries ( BAK cells ) and never had a problem. The Xeccon's with Samsung should be even better and as a side note the Samsung 2600 cells should be lighter than the Batteries built with the heavier Panasonic cells. Not that it is that much difference but I can feel the weight difference ( in my hands ) when holding the Panasonic 4-cell built with 3400mAh cells.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    If you're looking to order batteries from China, word is that most vendors (DX, Fasttech, Walbuys, etc) are having issues shipping them out. Especially to North America. Shipping companies have deemed these batteries as hazardous and highly explosive. It'll be hit and miss when ordering from them.

Your best bet is to order within North America, price is higher, but at least you'll receive your order.
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Where are all these vendors like fasttech , DX , and others that sell individual high quality panasonic cells in particular for a very discounted price based out of ? And are they authentic ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by C.M.S View Post
    Where are all these vendors like fasttech , DX , and others that sell individual high quality panasonic cells in particular for a very discounted price based out of ? And are they authentic ?
    China...as far we know they are authentic. They buy in bulk so can sell for less.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    This pack came with an SSx2. I'm having a hard time understanding what configuration this is? Seller description is 8.4V 6400mAh. On the sides of the batteries it states "IRC18650 3.7V", only other marking are the + and - symbols. I can find the IRC models in 1600, 2200 and 2400mAh. Samsung makes a pink IRC18650 model in 2600mAh. These must be the Purple People Melters.

The Battery Thread: 2013-img_20141021_152647_872_zps74013e56.jpg

The Battery Thread: 2013-img_20141021_152316_574_zps19e925b7.jpg

The Battery Thread: 2013-img_20141021_152325_700_zps7467f39f.jpg

Edit: I don't know what it looks like...
    Last edited by pdxmark; 1 Week Ago at 11:57 PM.
    Happy Trails!

Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast