Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    go straight for the "I will reverse charges if I do not receive a full refund in 3 days" approach then. I know that we want to think only the best of people, but a lot of Chinese websites make a good living by knowingly selling cheap defective products and hoping that sorting out a refund is too much hassle. I've been through it several times - the communication is great, lots of back and forth, do this do that, ah I see! and so on, but they won't give you your money back until you force them to.

batteries like this, using recycled or scrap cells, are the reason behind that ban on sending li-ion batteries by air. They're clearly defective and the +ve tab to the PCB has either corroded or burnt through. This is no mishandling or postage defect. I'm sure they'll say "ah, but it was perfect when it left us, we only buy from super good factory" and they'll be lying.

next time, think about using Paypal. They may be "evil" but they're the lesser of two evils

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting this battery chart Can-man-do.
    This is helpful for anyone looking for a power pack replacement.
    BTW do you know that size of the connector Jack for the MS light?
    My version uses a 2.5mm

mtbr member
    I'll give this one a try. The Xeccon battery on the list ships to HI for $20!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spartacus001 View Post
    Thanks for posting this battery chart Can-man-do.
    This is helpful for anyone looking for a power pack replacement.
    BTW do you know that size of the connector Jack for the MS light?
    My version uses a 2.5mm
    No, sorry but I really don't know how these connectors are offically measured and typed. That is why I just refer to them as "MagicShine (MS) type" connectors. At least when I say "MS" type connectors most know what I'm talking about.

I did find a quick reference on the extension cord sold by D/X that calls them 5.4mm ( male/female ). The review mentioned they were MS compatible. I figure they are measuring the width of the male extension ( or the female opening ) which is about 5mm ( sorry I don't have a tool that will measure in tenths of a mm. )

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Is there a reason the Gloworm battery isn't on the list? I only have a few rides on my X2s but the battery seems to run much longer than my GeoMan recall batteries ever did. I have yet to do a full run down on them so I don't have an solid run time but it's at least 2.5 hours with 40% left on the meter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jhymel View Post
    Is there a reason the Gloworm battery isn't on the list? I only have a few rides on my X2s but the battery seems to run much longer than my GeoMan recall batteries ever did. I have yet to do a full run down on them so I don't have an solid run time but it's at least 2.5 hours with 40% left on the meter.

Right now I'm trying to find a battery that is built with Panasonic cells that is high capacity. The Gloworm battery fits the bill but the price ( $125.28 USD ) is out-of-this-world.
    If I can't find another high-capacity Panasonic battery for a reasonable cost I will put the Gloworm battery on the list.
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 01-24-2013 at 12:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Right now I'm trying to find a battery that is built with Panasonic cells that is high capacity. The Gloworm battery fits the bill but the price ( $125.28 USD ) is out-of-this-world.
    If I can't find another high-capacity Panasonic battery for a reasonable cost I will put the Gloworm battery on the list.
    It's $80 bucks plus shipping at action LED. Still not cheap but not out-of-this world : crazy:
    TEX

mtbr member
    If you are handy you might consider rebuilding your pack.
    I was able to get my dead pack working like new again.
    Here's how I did it.
    Dead Magic Shine Battery Pack Revived

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    sorry someone got a bad pack from LT-BOX, I received mine last week from LT-BOX and put down a healthy 2 hr ride last night with the 3*XML and the 4*26650 battery pack and works as expected. Frame strap on the pack's bag was nice, sat nice right above the rear shock, about center top tube and didn't move entire ride.

I think I finally don't need anymore lights LOL......see how long that will last.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by texas View Post
    It's $80 bucks plus shipping at action LED. Still not cheap but not out-of-this world : crazy:
    Thanks Tex. I was hoping to find one using the 3100 or 3400mAh cells but these will have to do for now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BallisticBatteries View Post
    Im here also if any of you have some questions on batteries.
    Sorry, I meant to ask you some questions but forgot. Can you tell me about the two Ballistic batteries I put on the list....what brand of cells are they and are they square packs?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Action also has the Gemini 6-cell 7800mAh battery for $108. I've used this battery for about a year with my Olympia and Serfas True 1500, and it rocks.

mtbr member
    We offer the Magic Shine compatible batteries in 3 current sizes: 5.8Ah, 8.7Ah and 17.4Ah. Not the cheapest in the world, but high quality. The waterproofing is done under the shrink wrap with a silicone process to protect the cells and the circuit board. The 8.7 is the only size I currently have in the US, but we should be getting more inventory soon.

Open Light Systems Corporation | Batteries for MagicShine/ BikeRay -US site does not show the products that are currently out of stock.

POG
    Pudgy Old Guy
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by POG View Post
    The one I received is a square pack - mounting it in one of my original magicshine battery pack holder thingys (only turned in the batteries for the recall).
    Thought I would report back that the battery I bought from Ballistic Batteries is working well to date.

mtbr member

Is that for your Gloworm? No problems running without the built in gauge?

mtbr member

Bikeray's hidden treasure

The Battery Thread: 2013-bikeray-battery-1.jpgThe Battery Thread: 2013-bikeray-battery-2.jpgThe Battery Thread: 2013-bikeray-battery-3.jpgThe Battery Thread: 2013-bikeray-battery-4.jpg
    Hey Cat, since you had the Bikeray battery on the battery list and a ? if it's BAK inside, I decided to tear down one to find out for sure - we had one from a warranty claim which was water damaged. Always felt Bikeray batteries were better quality than the MS ones but didn't quite knew why. So now we know.

Xeccon Light may yet have Panasonic cells in some of their battery packs. We have extended the Xeccon 6600mAh batteries specials for US mtbr member's only. Posting Li-ion is now really beginning to be an issue. We'll keep an eye on USPS and more regulations from China.
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member

It lives.

Re-soldered the contact point which was corroded. Don't understand how that happened but it works now. Stuck it in a neoprene pouch for my personal use.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Battery Thread: 2013-bikeray-1.jpg  

The Battery Thread: 2013-bikeray-2.jpg  

Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pigmode View Post
    Is that for your Gloworm? No problems running without the built in gauge?
    No, I don't use the Gloworm battery. Currently I use a 5200mAh Bikeray battery with the Gloworm. Rarely have I ever deeply discharged the battery. Most of my rides at night are usually less than three hours long. As such I never worry about running out of battery juice

I've never had a battery poop on me but that's because the Gloworm has a very good 300 lumen mode that I am more than happy to use most of the time.

My batteries are getting old though. When the spring arrives I will take my own advice and do a run-time test on my batteries. If I decide I need a new battery it will be a 4-cell with either Panasonic or Samsung ( 2800mah or higher ) cells.

I might also consider building my own 4-cell ( 6800mAh ) battery using Panasonic 3400mAh ( 18650 ) cells and using an old PCB from an old 4-cell pack. If I really had a need for longer run times I would probably go the DIY route.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeccon View Post
    ..Xeccon Light may yet have Panasonic cells in some of their battery packs. We have extended the Xeccon 6600mAh batteries specials for US mtbr member's only. Posting Li-ion is now really beginning to be an issue. We'll keep an eye on USPS and more regulations from China.
    Hey Len if you do get a couple batteries with higher capacity Panasonic cells please give me a shout.

Yeah, I'm beginning to worry if regulations will tighten with the shipping of Li-ion batteries. No problem though, if I order a battery from you just put a label on the outside stating, "Smoked Salmon" "Keep Cool".

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I just received this battery from Kaidomain.
    http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S020905
    It does NOT come with a bag or a charger.( So maybe the LTBox battery is a better deal...although one poster here got a bad one??)
    It does have MS style connectors....and did run my 3X clone out of the box.
    Weighs in a 400 grams on the nose.
    Took about 3 weeks to arrive in Boston,MA
    I will charge it up and get run times on Tuesday night...
    Last edited by the mayor; 02-04-2013 at 05:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Not impressed by the Kaidomain battery on the first try.
    Charged it with with the charger that came with my 3x XML lamp ( maybe this is the problem?)
    Got about 1.5 hours on high with the 3x lamp. It did sit in the car on a cold night...and the next evening....it only lasted another 30 minutes or so.( luckily, I brought the stock battery with me)
    So about 2 hours on high.
    I am going to order a MS charger from Action LED and give it another go.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Not impressed by the Kaidomain battery on the first try.
    Charged it with with the charger that came with my 3x XML lamp ( maybe this is the problem?)
    Got about 1.5 hours on high with the 3x lamp. It did sit in the car on a cold night...and the next evening....it only lasted another 30 minutes or so.( luckily, I brought the stock battery with me)
    So about 2 hours on high.
    I am going to order a MS charger from Action LED and give it another go.
    That is so,"Not Promising".

That battery should be at least be 7000mAh and giving you close to three hours on high. If it's not that is real bad. I think this is enough to earn it a warning.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Yup.

And just to be clear: I charged it( until green light came on),I rode it for 1.5 hours , shut it off and left it in the car...and then it died a about 1/2 into the next ride.

I am going to give it one more shot...otherwise it was a $25 d"oh!
    Oddly...and earlier poster said he got good hours out of his without charging.
    Hmmmmmm

I do have a multi meter. Is there a way to check the battery with it?
    Last edited by the mayor; 02-07-2013 at 05:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Yup.

And just to be clear: I charged it( until green light came on),I rode it for 1.5 hours , shut it off and left it in the car...and then it died a about 1/2 into the next ride.

I am going to give it one more shot...otherwise it was a $25 d"oh!
    Oddly...and earlier poster said he got good hours out of his without charging.
    Hmmmmmm

I do have a multi meter. Is there a way to check the battery with it?
    @Mayor....yes there is. You can check the voltage. Easier to do if you have a spare "male" plug with wires bared. It won't tell you though if the battery is bad or if the cells are unbalanced ( unless you tear it down and measure each cell separately ).

Coming up soon: Review of Xeccon's 6600mAh six-cell BAK battery ( hard shell version )....

Other interesting battery stuff: I noticed tonight that D/X is selling single Panasonic 18650 cells ( both protected and non-protected ). Some of the prices are pretty good. Hopefully these are the genuine product. Reviews of the 3100mAh cells were promising, 5 stars across the board. The 3400mAh cells are there as well albeit a bit more money.

First vendor to put together an affordable 4-cell Panasonic 6200mAh battery
    ( or greater capacity ) wins.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    @Mayor....yes there is. You can check the voltage. Easier to do if you have a spare "male" plug with wires bared. It won't tell you though if the battery is bad or if the cells are unbalanced ( unless you tear it down and measure each cell separately ).

Coming up soon: Review of Xeccon's 6600mAh six-cell BAK battery ( hard shell version )....
    Thanks for the info.

And please don't review anymore batteries. I'll end up buying another one. This light and battery thing is turning into a sickness. I might have to find a 12 step program....

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast