Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member

Battery Pack holders? What are my options?

For me, a longer charge means a few nights touring without recharging. I use my lights for general use so a 2 hour battery is more of an inconvenience. I can get a week on a Gloworm xs charge at a med- lo setting a couple of hours a night.

mtbr member
    Here is mine. Easy. Secure. Backcountry Research - Makers of the AWESOME STRAPS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Battery Pack holders?  What are my options?-20131026_231547.jpg  

Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbean View Post
    Hmmmm....no, it would actually be the OPPOSITE IMO. As LED's become more efficient they will require less power which means you can get long enough run-times out of ever smaller batteries. The convergence is to smaller batteries if anything. LED's become more powerful and batteries having higher energy densities. The move is towards cordless or flashlight type lights if anyting.
    What I see here almost every day (well, merely every night) doesn't match this statement. Yes, efficiency of LEDs grows too - but increase in power is more rapid and significant: just compare current consumption of early AA-powered LED lights like Cateye HL-EL530 and today's typical bike light. Development of batteries is not going as fast, unfortunately. Another thing to mention - the people always want more light, so affordable LEDs and batteries are causing yet another cycle of step-up movement.

While self-contained lights can be used for short rides, anything like actual off-road for several hours will require either frequent change of batteries, or switching to separate battery pack. Most of members in our local cycling community have both kind of lights, but single-piece ones are used as a supplement or backup lightning. And believe me - it's not because of our preference of additional weight or pretty looking cabling!

Cordless lights will eventually be powerfull, cheap and light enough to bypass all this. We are not there yet,
    Let's hope so. But everything I've said above was related to the current real life, not future dreams...

mtbr member

Battery Pack holders? What are my options?

A larger battery pac provides power for my iphone as well.

mtbr member

Fixed it.

Made my own battery holder. Much better. I do not care about weight, I have huge legs and not a puzzy. I found the box on Ebay for $14. I need to find a plug for the top and I am done. Pretty cool.

Battery Pack holders?  What are my options?-img_1088.jpgBattery Pack holders?  What are my options?-img_1089.jpgBattery Pack holders?  What are my options?-img_1085.jpgBattery Pack holders?  What are my options?-img_1090.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I spent a little time modeling up an idea for this. Am a bit stuck on what to do for a lid or other retention system. Any feedback is appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Battery Pack holders?  What are my options?-battery-box.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Perhaps, simple rubber or Velcro loop?

mtbr member
    I love the rendition. I would included foam for custom fit. For a lid, how about a compression or snap cap that can route the cable. Make the cage have a catch.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2