mtbr member

Battery pack for Bikeray USA Speed II?

My battery pack took a dump, and now won't charge. Emailed BR a few days ago about a warranty replacement, but haven't received a reply. Being a daily commuter who leaves the house at 5am, I don't have a whole lot of time to wait around for an answer. I desperately need to find a battery setup, and fast, especially less than 75 dollars.

http://www.bikerayusa.com/shop/7-4v-...case-speed-ii/

This seems to be the pack that comes stock with the Speed II kit, so if anyone knows of something comparable that won't blow my light head that'll be great.

mtbr member

Re: Battery pack for Bikeray USA Speed II?

bump? I honestly haven't a clue what I'm doing, and I'm worried that I'll fry my light head.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post
    My battery pack took a dump, and now won't charge. Emailed BR a few days ago about a warranty replacement, but haven't received a reply. Being a daily commuter who leaves the house at 5am, I don't have a whole lot of time to wait around for an answer. I desperately need to find a battery setup, and fast, especially less than 75 dollars.

7.4V / 4.2ah Battery With Cloth Case (SPEED II) | BikeRayUSA

This seems to be the pack that comes stock with the Speed II kit, so if anyone knows of something comparable that won't blow my light head that'll be great.
    Firstly, can you get hold of another 8.4V charger and another light that's 7.4V nominal? The fault may be at the cable just before the connector. You can crosscheck charger to battery and battery to light heads. BR's batteries are normally high quality with UL and CE accreditation. Personally I don't recall a single battery failure with them. They used to supply Samsung cells but this battery you linked is a little weird capacity wise - 1050mAh cells?

I am confident Patrick from BR will honor warranty claims but if you feel you can't wait and probably a very good idea to have a spare battery then we suggest you consider our fully compatible 4-cell Samsung 5200mAh at $40.56 or a larger 6-cell 7800mAh for $51.88 including USPS 2-day delivery dispatched from CO. Xeccon's official warranty for batteries is 12 months.
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member

I'm sure they'll honor the warranty as well, I have no doubt about their reputation. It's simply a matter of time and finances. Being a daily commuter, when a component as integral as a light fails, it throws the whole thing out of whack. I've been going into the office later, which messes with my scheduling and so on.

Of the two packs you've posted, neither one will be too much for the Speed II light head, right?

mtbr member
    Of the two packs you've posted, neither one will be too much for the Speed II light head, right?
    Just noticed this Speed II has a threaded connector. I suspect the Speed II is different to the original one from 2 years ago.The Xeccon battery's connectors are not threaded but will fit the 5.5 x 2.1 pin. Expect you were getting around 3hrs 45mins on Hi with the 4200mAh battery. If that's the case the 5200mAh will run it for about 5hrs and about 7 hours with the 7800mAh.
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by mtbRevolution View Post
    Just noticed this Speed II has a threaded connector. I suspect the Speed II is different to the original one from 2 years ago.The Xeccon battery's connectors are not threaded but will fit the 5.5 x 2.1 pin. Expect you were getting around 3hrs 45mins on Hi with the 4200mAh battery. If that's the case the 5200mAh will run it for about 5hrs and about 7 hours with the 7800mAh.
    The head I have is the standard round MS style connector. I do like the sound of a 7 hour run time. I like my night rides.

mtbr member
    Tex, you might trying buying a back-up charger first ( or ) along with a new battery. I doubt your battery is bad. More than likely the charger went up. If so, the new battery isn't going to charge either.

From the link you provided I can't believe the prices that bikeray is asking. They used to be much more reasonable. Go with a Xeccon battery, you won't be disappointed.

mtbr member

I've got two chargers, and neither one are powering the battery. I think there's a short in the leads that I can't find without splicing the whole thing. Who knows, maybe I'll get bored and replace the lead, but right now, it is what it is. The 7 hour run time is very appealing, and I'll be placing an order this weekend.

Action LED Lights
    If it's a break in the wire and you have the tools and skills you can buy an extension cable to provide a new power lead.
    For a new battery you can also consider a Magicshine BAK or Samsung pack in any size from 4400mAh to 8400mAh.
    Action-LED-Lights — BATTERIES
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

mtbr member

I stripped the original leads and found no breaks, which points to the battery connector head. I've got an extension cable that came with the set, and I'll solder that in. Just need to pick up some heat shrink tubing.

mtbr member
    I stripped the original leads and found no breaks, which points to the battery connector head. I've got an extension cable that came with the set, and I'll solder that in. Just need to pick up some heat shrink tubing.
    Sounds like a plan. I was going to recommend you do exactly that. Not unusual for a connector plug to fail.

I've never tried to shrink wrap a battery before. I don't have one of those heat guns so unlike shrink tubing I don't think it would work well doing over a stove.

Another alternative to shrink tubing is "Tommy Tape" ( that is the brand name ). Otherwise it is known as " self-fusing silicone tape" and is sold under various brand names. Interesting stuff this SFST. It has no glue or stickiness on the tape itself and doesn't stick to anything BUT ITSELF. You peal off the vinyl backing and start wrapping. The tape itself is stretchy. Once it makes contact with itself it will stick like glue. It is also known as "Plumbers tape". Should waterproof a battery quite nicely.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Sounds like a plan. I was going to recommend you do exactly that. Not unusual for a connector plug to fail.

I've never tried to shrink wrap a battery before. I don't have one of those heat guns so unlike shrink tubing I don't think it would work well doing over a stove.

Another alternative to shrink tubing is "Tommy Tape" ( that is the brand name ). Otherwise it is known as " self-fusing silicone tape" and is sold under various brand names. Interesting stuff this SFST. It has no glue or stickiness on the tape itself and doesn't stick to anything BUT ITSELF. You peal off the vinyl backing and start wrapping. The tape itself is stretchy. Once it makes contact with itself it will stick like glue. It is also known as "Plumbers tape". Should waterproof a battery quite nicely.
    I use that exact tape on my bars where the light head rests to provide something with a little more texture than aluminum to prevent slippage. Works great.

Picked up some heat shrink tubing for the leads, and soldered everything up earlier. Worked like a charm and looks clean. I'm happy.