mtbr member
    Jul 2011

battery location to avoid injury?

I'm new to night riding and have a concern regarding battery location. Right now I'm riding with a helmet light (preferred due to flexibility and corners), with the cable running through the helmet down the rear. I put the battery pack in a top front pocket so the cable has plenty of flex and doesn't interfere with my view or mobility. This, in my view, provides some safety in the event of a fall since the cable stays with the battery which stays with me. If the battery is mounted on the frame for a helmet light, there's clear risk in a fall that the bike goes one way while I go another and the cable either jerks my neck badly or gets damaged.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for battery location when using a helmet light? My guess is holding the battery in my front top pocket will provide its own special bruise in a fall, lol, but I don't see where else is best (yet). For background, the light I'm using is Light & Motion SECA 1400.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I started with the battery in my hydration pack. Only a couple times though as it was a PITA to deal with in taking the pack off to get something from it at stops. Now it goes in a back jersey pocket or jacket pocket. One other thing I do is use cables with connectors that just snap together. They will pop apart if the cable got snagged on something or in a crash if necessary.

Best place might be on the helmet itself. My next helmet light will be set up that way. It will mean a smaller battery than I currently use but I'll just carry a spare if the ride is expected to be long.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Thx

In retrospect, was common sense, but just wasn't used to the idea of carrying the battery since everyone I've seen or talked to mounted it to the frame. Now, I'm running the cable through the back of the helmet, and putting the battery in the side pocket of my backpack while riding. This keeps the cable and my vision/mobility unobstructed. Very comfortable and would undoubtedly be fairly safe in a fall.

Thx.