mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Battery life with Gemini Olympia 4 cell

I have a new Gemini Olympia with the 4 cell battery. According to the Gemini website I should get 2 hours 20 minutes on high. I have 2 of the 4 cell batteries, and I am only getting about 1 hour 30 minutes on either battery - both brand new batteries. I have had the same life at both 50 degrees and 32 degrees,

What kind of battery life are you getting with a 4 cell battery with your Olympia? Should I be getting closer to the 2 hour 20 minutes?

Thanks for any repilies!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I did this test with one of my Olympia lightheads (T-6) and a soft shell 4 cell that came with a Titan kit not to long ago and got 143 minutes out of it. Temp was 78 degrees. My experience has been that Gemini usually underestimates the runtimes although my Duo is right at their estimate. I've know lower temps. reduce runtime but this seems like quite a big drop. Tomorrow morning it's expected to be around 40 and if I have time I'll run the test in my garage and let you know what I get.
    Mole

mtbr member
    May 2011
    41 degrees in the garage and I shut the light off at 140 minutes. Safe to say outside temp. is not your issue. Possible something is wrong with your charger. I think you should contact Gemini and let them diagnose the problem for you. Good luck!
    Mole

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Thanks Mr Mole

Thanks for the information Mr Mole. I now feel that I do have an issue and can proceed from there.

I also have the Duo and it is running right on tatget. I bought the lights from Action LED, and I must say they have been excellent to work with. When I first tested my Olympia and it came up short on time they immediatly sent me another battery to try - this is why I have two batteries - both in the hard case.

I will give them a call on Monday and see what their suggestions are. I have two chargers, one from the Olympia and one from the Duo, haven't tested to see if one charges more completely that the other, will give that a try today.

So far, I have to say I really like the lights. With both on hgih and the Duo on my helmet, I have plenty of light. I don't come close to over riding the lights on the down hills, and I have better trail definition than ever before. Was with a friend on Wednesday night and he said it looked like a patch of daylight running down the mountain!

mtbr member

I think I have the same problem

I was glad to see this post as I'm having the same issue with a much shorter than expected battery run time. I bought an Olympia from Action Led a couple of weeks ago and have gone on two night rides so far. Both times I was running the light mostly on medium and turning it off every time the group stopped. After only about 1.5 hours of ride time the red light on the back of the light head came on. I'm too paranoid of being left in the dark now to run this light on high at all... which kind of defeats the purpose of spending the extra money for 1800 lumens.

Since Action Led has such a great reputation for standing behind their products, I'll contact them and see what they say.

:Kim

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yeah for me the life was pretty good and has been not the best lately. I went from about 2.5hrs to amber on the 6 cell pack to 1.5hrs (on high) and 15 mins later into red. 55 mins to amber on 4 cell pack

Plenty of life seems to be left for other lights or lower settings if i throttle back but i shouldnt need to

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by manbeer View Post
    Yeah for me the life was pretty good and has been not the best lately. I went from about 2.5hrs to amber on the 6 cell pack to 1.5hrs (on high) and 15 mins later into red. 55 mins to amber on 4 cell pack

Plenty of life seems to be left for other lights or lower settings if i throttle back but i shouldnt need to
    Is your Olympia a T6 or a U2 model? I have a Xera and 2 T6 Olympia's that had the same symptoms using a Geoman battery but always worked fine with the Gemini batteries.
    Mole

Action LED Lights
    I did some testing on a couple of units here at the warehouse. 2 different light heads and 2 different 4 cell batteries. The chargers had just turn to green so I might have gotten more if i had let them top off a little. I'll rerun today to see if it makes a difference.
    I didn't catch the light changes exactly but each changed to amber at about 1 hour 10 minutes, red at about 1 hour 30-40 minutes, and switched down to low at 2 hours 10 minutes. It then ran on low for a couple of hours before I shut it down.
    Mole, if the light is a T6 or U2 would make no difference. Both lights draw the same current. The U2 just converts more of it to light.
    The Olympia on high draws a lot of current (2 amps @7.4v). That's a little hard for the 4 cell to deliver and as a result it pulls the voltage down and makes the button light change early. If you turn the lights off for a moment you get a true reading of the battery charge state. Under full load Amber does not indicate <20%
    I find the 6 cell behaves much better and recommend it for the Olympia if you plan to run on high most of the time.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for the reply/information Jim. I should have been more specific on how I test lights for runtime (mounted on a bike in a trainer with a fan blowing on it and run to flashing red/power down threshold) - My Bad!
    Mole

mtbr member

Olympia Battery Overrated

I just did my own test in front of a fan running the light on high and my results were not so great. I checked the light at 55 minutes and it had already turned to amber. At 1 hour 5 minutes it turned to red and at 1 hour 55 minutes to flashing red. I let it run for another 20 minutes or so on low then unplugged it.

So the battery run time on high is 25 minutes less than claimed by Gemini. The manual description on how the LED indicators work is also way off according to my test. Gemini claims the button should remain green with 100%-20% battery charge remaining; turn to amber with 20-10% charge remaining; then not turn to red until there is only 10% charge left.

It is looking like the 4 cell battery that comes with the Olympia is somewhat overrated

:kim

Action LED Lights
    I did a second test on a battery I had let sit on the charger overnight and got just short of 2 hours 20 minutes. I think the 4 cell run time is a little over rated which is unusual for Gemini. They are usually conservative with their numbers. As far as the button light goes, it is in essence a volt meter. And the pack voltage is going to change with the load on the pack. The only way to get a consistent reading is to turn the light off for a few seconds. Every other light I've seen that has a similar system has the same problem. The Magicshine 872 (which has more color/stages) changes to blue in a couple of minutes when run on high. But turn it off and and the button turns back to green.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

mtbr member
    Jim, have you done the fan test with the six cell battery? I'm curious as to how it compares to the four cell. One person here (manbeer) said he is also having issues with battery run times on the six cell.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Tried my Dou with my battery

Well, I decided to try one of the 4 cell batteries with the Gemini Duo to see what burn time it had. I go a full 3+ hours out of the 4 cell battery (Gemini's specs say 3 hours). This tells me that my battery is working correctly, so my chargers must be working correctly also. So I guess I must have some sort of a problem with the Olympia, since other people have posted that they can get the full 2 hours and 20 minutes from their Olympia.

Thanks for everyone's replies.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I feel like part of the problem with these newer, multiple emitter lights is the current demand and that the wiring is causing a lot of resistance and they are sensitive to voltage drop. They seem to be adversely affected by cold weather as well. I am going to try riding with a hand warmer around my pack next time. Last night is was ~30 degrees and at 50 mins i was down to amber on a fully charged 6 cell