mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Bar light battery options?

Hi guys,

I'm kitting out three fellow MTB riders to get them into night riding. I'm getting them these Mini Cree lights for the helmets. (I've used one for about 2 years now with no probs. They are small and light and with very low current consumption).

Where I'm not sure is the bar lights. From my latest reading of the forum it looks like this stepless XM-L2 triple from KD is a great bar light for the money at only $46 (Buy 3+ price).

I think these 872 clones would possibly be a better light, given the more even flood spread I've seen in beamshots. But they are only the light head for $30 (divided price of 3 units shipped), so I would need to buy batteries for them as well as well.

The question is are there any semi decent batteries for under $20? Anything with a real capacity of 3500-4000mAh would be fine.

Is it possible to get a cheap battery to make the 872 clone purchase cost competitive as a complete kit, or should I just go the Stepless Triple for the money?

The 872 clones are quite old now... have they been left in the dust by the current generation Chinese lights and should I just be getting them XML triples?

Cheers,
    Glen

P.S I come onto the forum every few years when I'm looking to upgrade or purchase, and its great to still see so many familiar names still here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by G_Mozz View Post
    The question is are there any semi decent batteries for under $20? Anything with a real capacity of 3500-4000mAh would be fine.
    I don't think you'll be able to find reliable source of that. The most affordable battety I'm aware of, is the MagicShine MJ-6002 offered on DealExtreme:
    4400mAh External Battery Pack with Pouch for SKU 29489/30864 (4*18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

The pictures are outdated; in fact they're sending out this one:
    Magicshine Rechargeable Battery Pack | Buy Rechargeable Bike Light batteries Online

It's made of four Chinese BAK cells of true 2200 mAh capacity.

Anything cheaper would be probably "hit and miss" deal...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    You should check out Hunk Lee on ebay. Several people here have bought his packs and they test out to the rated capacity. If you don't see a pack that meets your requirements, contact him and he'll likely put something together for you. Here is an example of something that meets your price and capacity.

Rechargeale LiIon Battery 7 4V 4 5Ah for MagicShine LED Bike Light Waterproof F | eBay

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    That's valid option, too - but it's worth to mention that it is LiPo battery, with slightly different properties. Also, it is a "bare" battery without proper outer shell and mounting parts, while MS battery is complete and ready-to-use device...

mtbr member
    Hunk Lee! Might have to spend 30-35$ for a good pack.

Action LED Lights
    The Magicshine 4400mAh Hardshell MJ-6038 for $29.95 is pretty hard to beat.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Exactly my point. But speaking about particular models, I dislike MJ-6038 because of unreliable mounting system: plastic buckles that fix rubber belts are quite brittle and break easily. My preferences are MJ-828 in aluminium case and MJ-6002 in silicone rubber + textile bag: both models use reliable Velcro bands to attach to the frame. Electrically they're all the same though, with true capacity exceeding advertised one, and good service life.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by -Archie- View Post
    That's valid option, too - but it's worth to mention that it is LiPo battery, with slightly different properties. Also, it is a "bare" battery without proper outer shell and mounting parts, while MS battery is complete and ready-to-use device...
    While I agree that it looks like a LiPo, I contacted Hunk Lee and he confirmed that it is a LiIon battery.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Well, maybe it does have a plastic box under shrink tube then, but dimensions of battery (21*43*107mm) aren't suitable to contain four 18650 cells anyway.

On the other hand, any LiPo battery is in fact LiIon, so his answer is technically correct in any case...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hi Guys, thanks for all the feedback. I've decided to go down the Triple XML path, so won't need the battery's now... (well maybe, depending on my level of Chinese luck)

Thanks for pointing our Hunk Lee, I like that he offers Magicshine connectors, I have been looking for somewhere to get better 2.1mm power connectors.

Cheers,
    Glen