Dirt Deviant

Baja Designs Strykr with Modified Marwi Mount

I've been messing around with my Stryker, and had a spare Marwi mount and MS900 adapter sitting here, and figured I'd put it to good use.
    I have modified all my lights with the Marwi mounts so I can have only 1 bar attachment always mounted on the bars regardless of which light I want to run.
    I really like the Marwi Mount, as they are strong, and stable.
    Picked em up from El34 here.........

http://www.hoffmanamps.com/MyStore/p...R_ID=!ORDERID!

Review of the light will be done soon, once it dries up a little more here.
    So far only been able to squeeze in a few day rides.
    But comparing the Strykr to the MS900 side by side, the Strykr kills it. Great beam with the flood reflector, and much brighter.

Here is a pic of my light mounted.......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Baja Designs Strykr with Modified Marwi Mount-strykr.jpg  

Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting this, I was just on that site wondering if that would work. Now I guess I am going to have to order the parts. Also, I did my first ride with my Strykr a couple of days ago. I have to agree that the MS is not even close to the the Stykr for brightness. My MS on high is about what my Baja Designs is on medium.

Dirt Deviant
    I had to do a slight modification to the MS900 adapter plate.
    The Strykr would bolt on without modification, but wouldn't have a huge contact patch with the plate.
    I will take a few pics of the Strykr base plate and how I modded the MS mount.

Dirt Deviant
    Here are a few pics of the setup.

As you can see in the pics, the base of the Strykr has a knurled ring that indexes to the original mount.
    It is raised up a little.

I probably could have just bolted the head to the mount and it most likely would have been fine, but I figured the 20 seconds of dremel work would be worth it to create a channel for it to sit flush in.

I bolted the head to the mount and snugged it up a tad. This createde some marks that gave me a guide to machine out.

I dremeled a hole about 2.5 mm deep for the base to sit in, then took about 1mm more around the perimeter of the hole for the knurled nubs to sit in.

I figured that once I tightened it all down, the knurls would make little index indentations for fine adjustments, and would help hold everything snug.

I literally spent about 30 seconds working on this thing, and I think it came out pretty good.

When all was said and done, the base of the Strykr sits completely flush with the MS adapter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Baja Designs Strykr with Modified Marwi Mount-2.jpg  

Baja Designs Strykr with Modified Marwi Mount-4.jpg  

Baja Designs Strykr with Modified Marwi Mount-3.jpg  

Baja Designs Strykr with Modified Marwi Mount-5.jpg  

Baja Designs Strykr with Modified Marwi Mount-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    That's cool. I put the MS900 o-ring mount on mine - screw is even the right size and pitch. Would probably work fine on the bars as well?

Last edited by gticlay; 12-05-2010 at 09:08 PM.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Thanks for the pics savagemann!!! I will be ordering my parts soon. I did try the MS mount like gticlay for a helmet mount, but did not like the way the Strykr felt on my helmet. I am using it on my bars and will either us my MS as a helmet light when Geoman gets a battery pack to me, but like many others considering dumping the MS and going with something else.

mtbr member
    Nice work! Any input you guys have as far as what mounting set-ups you'd like to see Baja Designs use in the future would be great.

mtbr member
    The o-ring mounts are fantastic. Lupine makes a nice aluminum version for some bigger/heavier headlights so you know that if done properly they hold the light well.

Lupine O-ring Mount
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaDesignsShannon
    Nice work! Any input you guys have as far as what mounting set-ups you'd like to see Baja Designs use in the future would be great.
    Hi, Shannon:

Still lovin the light, but would like to see better mount options. Bullcrew mentioned in a post that there was a new o-ring mount for the Strykr Pro, but I can't find it on the BD site. If it will work for the Strykr, when will we see it? As far as it goes, that would be a good standard mount. Personally, I'd be willing to pay more for an upgraded mount that centers in front of the stem, similar to what I've seen posted for the Lupine Piko and the Jet a51.

mtbr member
    The new O-Ring mount that comes with the Strykr Pro does work well for the regular Strykr as long as you aren't riding a fully rigid bike through endless rock gardens, if that is the case then the old mount or a sweet DIY mount are the way to go.

We'll take a gander at what Lupine and Jet are doing with their mounts, I am also a fan of centering the light over/in front of the stem.

Dirt Deviant
    I'll second centering the light over the stem. Would be a nice option, but having a standard mount would be a good idea for people that run a stem mounted gps etc.

I personally don't mind the idea of the zip tie mount, and most likely would have been happy just running that.
    But I have other lights that share the same mount that I modified, so it made sense for me to have the same system for all of my lights, in case I want to change setup for whatever reason.

It would be nice to see the new mount for the pro. Got any pics?

Being able to easily remove the mount from the bars is nice, and some kind of QR to remove just the light head is a good idea.

I usually just leave the mount on the bars 100% of the time, but it is nice to be able to remove it without cutting zip ties etc.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    savageman:

Preliminary results of Baja Stryker vs MS900

See post #31 for pics of the mount.

Shannon:

I would like to get one of these mounts - when will it be available to purchase from the BD website?

mtbr member
    Ohhhh, me likeeee. This addresses what I didn't like about my MS900 mount - the offset.
    Last edited by gticlay; 12-06-2010 at 11:14 AM.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Shannon - Are you still offering the upgrade program? I sent an email, but don't think I got a response...

mtbr member

Yes, the Trade-Up Program is still in effect.

Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    Shannon - Are you still offering the upgrade program? I sent an email, but don't think I got a response...
    CharacterZero, the Trade-Up Program is still in effect. Send me an email at Shannon@BajaDesigns.com and I'll get you the forms for the Strykr and Strykr Pro, not a problem.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Shannon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by betweenrides
    savageman:

Preliminary results of Baja Stryker vs MS900

See post #31 for pics of the mount.

Shannon:

I would like to get one of these mounts - when will it be available to purchase from the BD website?
    Currently the QR mount is coming stock in the Strykr Pro, drop me an email at Shannon@BajaDesigns.com and we can rustle you up one of those mounts, they retail for $12.95, I can just place the order for you directly.