mtbr member

Baja Designs Strykr Light

Just wanted to start by saying how impressed I am with their customer service. I ordered the Strykr from Shannon yesterday about 1PM pst and Holy Crap! UPS shows up at 9:30AM with the box. Now thats customer service!!

Will give the lights a try tonight or tomorrow and update my review, but for now, their attentiveness for customer service gets a 10+

mtbr member
    Awww...shucks Hotprowl...I am just trying to get a ride in your cool car.

You'll have to let me know what you think of your new little beast after you've gone for a ride. Don't forget that you have two different reflectors to play with, it comes with the wide angle reflector installed (football shape) the spot is great too (round shape in the middle) particularly for road riding or on faster/straighter trails and fire roads.

We seriously appreciate you going with a Baja Designs Strykr, have fun! I look forward to your ride report!

Shannon

mtbr member
    LOL! Too bad I can't thow my bike on the back of the Prowler. Now that would definately be an attention grabber.

I just opened the box and compared it to the L&M ARC. very very close in size & weight. I have to say though, the Strykr feels like its a sturdier system though. The light head definately blows away the L&M. Only 1 drawback i see so far is the handlebar mount, which I'm sure you've heard over & over.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hotprowl
    LOL! Too bad I can't thow my bike on the back of the Prowler. Now that would definately be an attention grabber.

I just opened the box and compared it to the L&M ARC. very very close in size & weight. I have to say though, the Strykr feels like its a sturdier system though. The light head definately blows away the L&M. Only 1 drawback i see so far is the handlebar mount, which I'm sure you've heard over & over.
    Hah! Yep, a more fancyshmancy mechanical QR mount is nearing completion (I like to say "nearing completion" just like the Death Star was in Star Wars) We do have a super fly-weight QR mount for the Strykr Pro, but if you ride on particularly rocky trails the Strykr's burliness can overwhelm it.

The standard mount works well, all be it ingloriously, the original users of the light were desert racers and the U.S. Military, they just needed a mount that would be solid and do it's job. I am looking very forward to the Jaws clamp - it'll be a little ruffian like the Strykr. I'll let you know know when it'll be available, I am thinking it'll be around Interbike time in late August or early September - I need plenty of time to try to break all of the prototypes.

I remember your ARC when it came out, I worked at NR then, that was a rad light back in the day. I am glad we have LED's now, they are like alien technology compared to HID.

Have fun playing with your new toy!! Woohoo! New bike stuff!

Shannon

mtbr member
    Heres a quick little comparison to my old Light & Motion ARC.

Light Head - Baja 165 grams / L&M 155 grams
    Battery Pack - Baja 310 grams / L&M 440 grams

The feel of the Stryker light head just blows away the L&M, and I don't think anyone will notice 10g.

Here's a few side by side pics.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaDesignsShannon
    Hah! Yep, a more fancyshmancy mechanical QR mount is nearing completion (I like to say "nearing completion" just like the Death Star was in Star Wars) We do have a super fly-weight QR mount for the Strykr Pro, but if you ride on particularly rocky trails the Strykr's burliness can overwhelm it.

The standard mount works well, all be it ingloriously, the original users of the light were desert racers and the U.S. Military, they just needed a mount that would be solid and do it's job. I am looking very forward to the Jaws clamp - it'll be a little ruffian like the Strykr. I'll let you know know when it'll be available, I am thinking it'll be around Interbike time in late August or early September - I need plenty of time to try to break all of the prototypes.

I remember your ARC when it came out, I worked at NR then, that was a rad light back in the day. I am glad we have LED's now, they are like alien technology compared to HID.

Have fun playing with your new toy!! Woohoo! New bike stuff!

Shannon
    Well....feel free to send me a prototype to test. I actually own a machine shop and started trying to think about how I can make a mount this morning after opeing up the box...LOL

mtbr member
    Heres a quick little comparison to my old Light & Motion ARC.

Light Head - Baja 165 grams / L&M 155 grams
    Battery Pack - Baja 310 grams / L&M 440 grams

The feel of the Stryker light head just blows away the L&M, and I don't think anyone will notice 10g.

Here's a few side by side pics.

Oh man! Sweet shots! I had never seen an ARC next to a Strykr before, that does give you a great comparison on the size of the light head.

One way to save a bit O'weight on the bike is to mount the Strykr battery on top of your stem and not use the 30" extension cable, that's what I do typically.

Are you going to do some beam pattern shots? That would be very interesting, different generations of technology.

Shannon

mtbr member
    I'll try to play around with it over the next few nights & see what shots i can get.

mtbr member
    Well....feel free to send me a prototype to test. I actually own a machine shop and started trying to think about how I can make a mount this morning after opeing up the box...LOL
    Sweet! Perhaps we should do a group demo night ride up there in your neck of the woods? I will be able to travel again sometime in June, once our new baby is old enough. (she's due in Mid-May) I might have a couple of things we are working on by then.

mtbr member
    Here are a couple quick shots I took inside my machine shop (it gets pitch black when I turn the lights off in the back warehouse) to see the difference between the two lights. You can tell the L&M ARC HID by the blue tint to the light, but HOLY SH*T it's like night & day the difference between the two. And I always thought my ARC was bright....LOL

mtbr member
    Here are a couple quick shots I took inside my machine shop (it gets pitch black when I turn the lights off in the back warehouse) to see the difference between the two lights. You can tell the L&M ARC HID by the blue tint to the light, but HOLY SH*T it's like night & day the difference between the two. And I always thought my ARC was bright....LOL

Holy difference between the two lights Batman! Technology marches onward...

mtbr member
    I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts once you take your Strykr out on the trail, that is where the real fun begins!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Back in the days when HID ruled, I was so jealous not to have one (very unaffordable back then)...still using my ever reliable Solo Logic. LED is the current and future of lights.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bashtee
    Back in the days when HID ruled, I was so jealous not to have one (very unaffordable back then)...still using my ever reliable Solo Logic. LED is the current and future of lights.
    Yep, HID was crazy expensive, I remember at NR that a ballast alone cost the company almost $100! An HID bulb was close to the same. However it was amazing compared to our halogen systems, the burn time and brightness where unbeatable. I remember my old halogen NR Classic system would get roughly 1:30 on 32w, that is unthinkable these days. My first real light was a Trail Rat 10w with a huge 2 pound sealed lead acid battery - and I was loving it!

I am looking very forward to what the future holds for the LED technology, these are great days to be a nocturnal mountain biker.

mtbr member
    HAHA, my first real ligh was a Night Sun with the dual headlights and the cool 10 pound water bottle battery. Then I HAD to have an HID light. It was just the coolness factor of a real HID on a bicycle. And yes, I know I paid crazy money for the L&M ARC. I can't remember, but I 'm thinking I might have been into that thing around $500 with the extra battery.

Can't wait to give the Strykr a run.

mtbr member
    HAHA, my first real ligh was a Night Sun with the dual headlights and the cool 10 pound water bottle battery. Then I HAD to have an HID light. It was just the coolness factor of a real HID on a bicycle. And yes, I know I paid crazy money for the L&M ARC. I can't remember, but I 'm thinking I might have been into that thing around $500 with the extra battery.

Can't wait to give the Strykr a run.
    Hey Hotprowl,

Have you been able to go riding with your Strkr on the trail yet??

mtbr member
    No, haven't even had time to put the mount on my bike yet. I might try to at least ride around the neighborhood to try it out at night. There are some pretty dark streets that don't have any street lights.

mtbr member
    No, haven't even had time to put the mount on my bike yet. I might try to at least ride around the neighborhood to try it out at night. There are some pretty dark streets that don't have any street lights.
    Sweet! I definitely understand the lack of time concept, I am in that phase of life myself. Well, I look forward to your report.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Hotprowl (and Shannon) - I'm taking my Stryker out tonight for a test run. I'll post something up tomorrow. Light looks totally bomber and I can't wait to see the difference between my old HID Cyclone and the Stryker. Based on the photo comparison between the ARC and Stryker above, I *think* it should work great!

mtbr member
    Now that it seems every other bike going down the street has an HID looking light, it's no big deal anymore to have the HID blue glow. When I first got the ARC, it was the sh*t...LOL People used to comment "No way, a real HID on a bike". Now you can get HID looking lights for $10.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Good first ride with the Stryker last night! I won't hijack your thread, so I'll start another.

mtbr member
    Now that it seems every other bike going down the street has an HID looking light, it's no big deal anymore to have the HID blue glow. When I first got the ARC, it was the sh*t...LOL People used to comment "No way, a real HID on a bike". Now you can get HID looking lights for $10.
    Oh, I remember those days well. HID was awesome, far brighter than our old halogen systems with 70% more burntime, that was rad stuff back then. I am glad we have moved on to the new LED technology though, they are far less fragile, far less expensive, and if built right can be darn near bullet proof. Very good stuff!