Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Baja Designs

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Baja Designs

In case you are on the fence.....

I will keep this short and sweet. Just received my Strykr today. The build quality speaks for itself and the light output is bright and clean. I turned it on and my 6 yr old screams...."Whoa!!"

Products, in this case lights, are one thing. The other part is the company that produces them. I chose Baja coming from a motorsports backround and being familiar with their stuff and the quality they put into it. Good choice.

Not only that, Shannon @ BD is super cool and a pleasure to deal with. You can walk away feeling glad about what you bought and how you bought it.

Good luck out there.

mtbr member
    Thanks HalFlip, let me know if you ever need anything! Have a Merry Christmas!

Shannon

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I was on the fence... I have a MS900 and really like it. But, my battery is nearly useless (~ 45 minutes on high). Until Geoman takes care of the battery recall, I am back to my DiNotte 200L, which is adequate but dim when compared to what I've become accustomed to. I was debating whether to buy: 1- a replacement battery that may end up being equally low quality, 2- a new light altogether, such as the Gemini, or 3- just wait until Geoman makes good on the recall. The problem is, Geoman's new battery may be safe, but if it only lasts 50 charges like the original has for me... what do to...

I'm not sure why because I visit a couple of bike forums nearly every day... and just today, I learned about the Baja Designs Strykr trade in program.

I took advantage of the $100 trade in... I sent in my old NR Digital Evolution today and ordered a Strykr and quick release mount. It should come to about $225 w/s&h. Shannon said they won't be back in stock until around 12/16, so it should be here by Christmas. Now, if I could only get out to the trails...

puts the FU in fun
    I'll concur. I got a new Stryker last month; the thing is built like a tank, and its 700 lumens seem a LOT brighter than some other lights that claim a lot more. Plus, with the flood reflector installed I really have no need for a helmet light. One on the bars is plenty for trail riding

Jive Turkey
    I too have purchased a Baja Stryker light and can say it is waaaaay brighter than the Magicshine it replaced. I run it with my L & M helmet light, but most of the time I just keep the helmet light off because the Stryker is so bright. It is an awesome light at a great price and communication with the company, Shannon, was top notch. Anyone who is in the market for a bike light should seriously consider Baja lights.

mtbr member
    Hey J_Hopper your system should be inbound to you as we speak, hope you and your Strykr live a long happy life together.

Thanks for the kind words OmegaMan! Let me know if you ever need anything else.

Also...the Trade-Up Program is still going on so if any of your pals need a new light send 'em our way and we'll take care of them.

Shannon

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Like the stryker, BUT

I have borrowed and been using a stryker for a couple weeks. Purpose was to determine if this design was good, enough light, pattern, quality etc.

Light output is excellent, pattern with the wide is very good, only need helmet light on switchbacks. overall quality is excellent.

BUT, the handlebar mount is unbelieveable poor. Quite frankly it is hard to imagine a company capable of such excellent overall design would make a mount that:

barely mounts on a 31.8 bar
    requires zip ties and is not easy to use
    moves left right regardless of how tight the thumb screw is
    does not provide quick disconnect capability

I need a circular bar mount that screws itself tight, has an offset so that the light is dead center over the stem, has a quck disconnect shoe for the light and a damper for left right movement so it can be adjusted but will not move on its own.

Called and spoke to Baja and found out that a new mount is in the works, but will only address some of these issues and is still held in place by an O ring??

Seriously guys, you have made a great light. Now back it up with a mount that is of like quality and versatility.

Until then I will look to others

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Kind of agree on the mount, it works ok but could be much better. There is a new QR mount available, when I get it I'll check back and let you know how it performs. Shannon has mentioned they are looking to develop a better solution in the future and welcomes ideas on what consumers would like. My vote is for an offset stem centered mount similar to JET or Lupine.

mtbr member

The Holy Grail of Handlebar Clamps

Quote Originally Posted by iammemares
    I have borrowed and been using a stryker for a couple weeks. Purpose was to determine if this design was good, enough light, pattern, quality etc.

Light output is excellent, pattern with the wide is very good, only need helmet light on switchbacks. overall quality is excellent.

BUT, the handlebar mount is unbelieveable poor. Quite frankly it is hard to imagine a company capable of such excellent overall design would make a mount that:

barely mounts on a 31.8 bar
    requires zip ties and is not easy to use
    moves left right regardless of how tight the thumb screw is
    does not provide quick disconnect capability

I need a circular bar mount that screws itself tight, has an offset so that the light is dead center over the stem, has a quck disconnect shoe for the light and a damper for left right movement so it can be adjusted but will not move on its own.

Called and spoke to Baja and found out that a new mount is in the works, but will only address some of these issues and is still held in place by an O ring??

Seriously guys, you have made a great light. Now back it up with a mount that is of like quality and versatility.

Until then I will look to others

I hear what you are saying on the handlebar mount. I have been the mountain bike light business for 12 years and the Holy Grail has always been the "perfect" handlebar clamp, we definitely haven't created it yet.

I have found that clamps that center the light directly out in front of the stem tend to have a lot of leveraged weight which causes a fair amount of vibrating around, they also sometimes get in the way of your cables or you have cables out in front of the light causing shadows. Riders that run GPS units or computers on their stems can't use a mount that places the light directly over the stem. Perhaps we could develop a couple of different styles of clamps, for various uses? The AM/free-rider/DH crowd happens to love the burly and simple zip-tie set up as it is inexpensive and nearly unbreakable.

Myself, I am a fan of the minimalist approach. I personally have the zip-tie mount on 31.8 bars and using the thinnest shim that it comes with, mounts up perfectly and doesn't move around at all. It sounds like you may have been using one of the shims that is too large? The mounts do have a little o-ring with teeth inset into a groove on the top of the mount, if that o-ring somehow comes out a situation like you described - where it will move side to side easily, can occur. If that is the case - the o-ring with teeth is missing - let me know and we'll mail you a replacement and a couple of spares.

The new QR mount uses the same set-up on top but an o-ring to hold it on the bars. Is it the perfect clamp? Nope. Will it please every rider, in every situation, with every type of handlebar? Nope. Is it lightweight, simple, durable, and not expensive? Yep. Is it truly quick-release and will it work well for most riders in most situations with most handlebar set-ups? Yes it will. Are we going to continue to develop better designs for our mounts? Absolutely.

The overall idea here at Baja Designs has been to build a nearly bombproof (definitely waterproof), highly effective, and fairly priced light system with a few features that other companies don't have - not the least of which is the life-time warranty on the entire light head and electronics. At $298.95 retail for the Strykr, and $345.95 for the Strykr Pro, I think we did a pretty good job, these lights will last most riders many years and provide hundreds of hours of night riding fun.

That being said, we are all ears and are still in search of the ultimate handlebar mount. We greatly appreciate your input jammemares, posts like this keep us on our toes and pushing forward - I am happy you liked our "excellent" Strykr that's some great praise!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I ordered the O-ring quick release mount with my Strykr. I have not received it yet, so I can't comment on it. However, I have ridden a fair amount off road with a DiNotte 200L, put at least 4000 commuting miles on the 200L and a 140R (both purchased Oct 07), and have about 2000 commuting miles on an MS900 (purchased Dec 09). All of these have O-ring mounts. I have never had a single problem with any of the O-ring mounts. I haven't even replaced an O-ring yet.

I read many reviews about the DiNotte O-ring mount possibly being insufficient. I heard the same about the MS900. Again, none of these concerns have come true for me. If the BD mount is similar to either of these, I suspect it'll be great for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Thanks Shannon

I appreciate BD interest in trying to understand the need. The fact that you are there now demonstrates that.

I live in AZ where heat eats and dries rubber in a big hurry. An Oring will create enough tension, until it fails due to heat and being dried out while it sits in my garage where its 130 degrees.

BD has really approached the development of the stryker from a different perspective and has created a truly good and durable product. But the best light in the world that has a mount I cant use is not valuable.

I fully respect there are many challenges to create a good mount. I am in research and development myself and grasp the concept of product performance vs cost performance.

But, a robust mount is an absolute must. One that will not come loose, will not pass vibration, allows the light only to be removed and reinstalled in a few seconds in darkness, is impervious to the elements and maintains aim in a rock garden on a rigid bike.

Come on Shannon. I know you know your stuff. Get serious and creative with the mount. Maybe offer the base mount at the current cost and give the option to pay an little more if you need a more robust quick disconnect mount.

Thanks for listening Shannon.

mtbr member
    I appreciate BD interest in trying to understand the need. The fact that you are there now demonstrates that.

I live in AZ where heat eats and dries rubber in a big hurry. An Oring will create enough tension, until it fails due to heat and being dried out while it sits in my garage where its 130 degrees.

BD has really approached the development of the stryker from a different perspective and has created a truly good and durable product. But the best light in the world that has a mount I cant use is not valuable.

I fully respect there are many challenges to create a good mount. I am in research and development myself and grasp the concept of product performance vs cost performance.

But, a robust mount is an absolute must. One that will not come loose, will not pass vibration, allows the light only to be removed and reinstalled in a few seconds in darkness, is impervious to the elements and maintains aim in a rock garden on a rigid bike.

Come on Shannon. I know you know your stuff. Get serious and creative with the mount. Maybe offer the base mount at the current cost and give the option to pay an little more if you need a more robust quick disconnect mount.

Thanks for listening Shannon.

You are very welcome jammemares, this is fun stuff! I am from Chandler, AZ. myself. I used to work at Bike Masters on Kyrene and Ray, my daily commute would take me from south Phoenix and over South Mountain to work, nothing like tasty technical singletrack before work! My favorite trails were/are National, up the technical first part - if you can clean that, you are a MTB God - (I can't clean it) then down either Corona Loma, or better yet Holbert, super fun! My riding pals here think it's insane that I complain about our trails not being rocky enough, but I am sure you understand.

You are right though, a clamp that could handle the kind of rocks you are dealing with, particularly on a rigid bike(?!), well that would be quite the mount indeed! What would you think about a mount that incorporates the faceplate on the stem? Perhaps we can use you as a test rider out in the AZ rocks and heat on new clamps? If you want to send me your address via PM or email (shannon@bajadesigns.com) I will send you one of the new QR mounts and a couple of the different O-rings to see how they hold up back in the Mother Land.

If not, no worries, I (we) really do appreciate your honest (and tactful) input as there is always room for improvement.

Shannon "Where's all the rocks?" Scott

mtbr member
    Lmao.... the mount fits the os bars perfect and personally I dh fr not xc so I slam the he'll out of my bike quite a bit harder as well as we do drops at night etc.... the ziptie mounts only downfall is that it has to have the ties cut but as far as working it's the most solid mount I've seen.... I have the qr mounts and the new design on the band is sweeeet.... little grab handle.... good job bd
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaDesignsShannon
    Hey J_Hopper your system should be inbound to you as we speak, hope you and your Strykr live a long happy life together.

Thanks for the kind words OmegaMan! Let me know if you ever need anything else.

Also...the Trade-Up Program is still going on so if any of your pals need a new light send 'em our way and we'll take care of them.

Shannon
    Haven't seen it yet... I wonder when it'll get here...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaDesignsShannon
    I used to work at Bike Masters on Kyrene and Ray, my daily commute would take me from south Phoenix and over South Mountain to work, nothing like tasty technical singletrack before work!
    Shannon,

I may me dating myself here, but I used to race for Bike Masters back in the mid-90s when they were over on 48th St/Ray.

Anyways, without starting another thread, my understanding is that the Pro model is directed towards a helmet light correct? Is this based on beam design, or function, or...?

I'm looking for a helmet mount to replace my Minewt mini-USB currently up there, and the trade-up program sounds very good on paper (assuming the Minewt mini is a qualifying trade-in).

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cru_jones
    Shannon,

I may me dating myself here, but I used to race for Bike Masters back in the mid-90s when they were over on 48th St/Ray.

Anyways, without starting another thread, my understanding is that the Pro model is directed towards a helmet light correct? Is this based on beam design, or function, or...?

I'm looking for a helmet mount to replace my Minewt mini-USB currently up there, and the trade-up program sounds very good on paper (assuming the Minewt mini is a qualifying trade-in).

Thanks!
    I used to have one of those USB versions and the difference will be so staggering... you'll love it.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Hey Shannon

Emailed you on the design stuff.

Thanks, Mark

mtbr member
    Emailed you on the design stuff.

Thanks, Mark
    Cool Mark, I will check it out when I check my work email tomorrow. Hope you had a great Christmas.

Shannon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cru_jones
    Shannon,

Thanks!
    First of all let me just say that "Rad" the movie has got to be one of the best films ever created, where else can you see the "bicycle boogie" or riders jumping out of giant cereal bowls!? That movie was one of my absolute favorites as a kid.

Wow, that was old school Bike Masters! Awesome! That was such a great store, I enjoyed working there, good times.

Anywho...your MiNewt (I helped name that light when I was at NiteRider) is a perfect trade in for a Strykr or Strykr Pro. The beam is a cross between a flood and a spot on Strykr Pro. Compared to a MiNewt, well it'll be a LOT brighter but it's kind of an apple and an orange to be fair. I run a Strykr on my handlebars and Strykr Pro on my helmet, generally the SPro up there is superfluous because the Strykr is very effective but once you hit some switchbacks or rock drops (like on National) it becomes very useful - shoot, on National it could be life saving!

If you email me (shannon@bajadesigns.com) I can send you the Trade-Up form. Let me know if you have any other questions Mr. Jones!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Those new mounts look way better than the old mount. I definitely have to get one for my light. FYI if anyone one needs a Strykr or Strykr batteries let me know. I have one light and a few batteries available.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrengee
    Those new mounts look way better than the old mount. I definitely have to get one for my light. FYI if anyone one needs a Strykr or Strykr batteries let me know. I have one light and a few batteries available.
    The QR mount is on the website, it's a part number 63-0046 and retail for $14.95, they're currently in stock.

mtbr member
    If you order the Strykr will they come with the new mounts or do you have to purchase the new mounts?

mtbr member
    I got a dumb question...Is Stryker a flood or a spot beam pattern? Interchangeable?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by p0r0y
    If you order the Strykr will they come with the new mounts or do you have to purchase the new mounts?
    The Strykr Pro comes with a helmet mount and QR mount for $344.95 retail, while the standard Strykr comes with the regular mount (not QR) for $298.95, we would need to raise the price on the Strykr - never a popular move. The QR can be bought through the website www.BajaDesigns.com, part number 63-0046 and cost $14.95.

We do still have the Trade-Up Program where we give you $100 towards either the Strykr Pro or Strykr, bringing down the cost by $100 on either system, both systems are in stock. If you'd like to do that email me at Shannon@BajaDesigns.com and I'll send you the form.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Biker
    I got a dumb question...Is Stryker a flood or a spot beam pattern? Interchangeable?
    Not a dumb question. The Stryker comes with reflector optics for both and both work well. For me the flood works best for trail, the spot works best for faster road riding. It's nice to have a choice, plus very easy to change.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast