dmo
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

back to riding after 15 years. the more i read to more confused i get

I'm getting back into the sport and night riding after being away for a long time. I used to have a Vistalight system with just a helmet mounted light. I didn't like the added weight on my head and being tethered to a large battery. I'm sure things have changed a lot since. I need some help being pointed in the right direction.

I want to spend no more than $500 per light. I thought of getting one light for the summer and then another in the fall. If you have only one light should you get helmet or bar? 2 hrs run time is all I need. I also want something light weight, relatively small and easy to mount on or off the bike or helmet. I also tend not to use a hydration pack in the summer especially for shorter rides I'll just use bottles and cages.

Having said that I like the Piko so far as a helmet light since it seems easy to put on or off the helmet. I'm also looking at the glowworm xs. The larger Lupine systems I think are too much $$. Any other systems I should consider without getting bogged down in choices and light geek tech stuff?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    If you like the Piko and XS, also look at the Gemini Duo. Running either of these with a high capacity 2 cell pack strapped to the back of your helmet is a great set up. Since it is coming into summer, dust can be an issue with a helmet light (I'm in the southwest so it is an issue) so I prefer to run a bar light only. You can look at changing the lenses in those lights for a wide angle and use it for the bars also. Check out Action LED Lighting for light and lens options.