Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 90

Thread: Ay Up Lights

  1. #1
    MTB SOCAL
    Reputation: yangpei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,317

    Ay Up Lights

    Any tried Ay Up lights? They are bright, relatively light, and come in several anodized colors. They look pretty cool.

    http://www.ayup.com.au/usa-shop-kits.html

    Unfortunately, I have a full set of Nite Rider HID's already
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kokopelli Racing

    "Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

  2. #2
    My Dog eats poo
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    124
    Yep I got a pair. They rock. Perfect for helmet mounts. Haven't tried the bar mount out as I have a Betty to go on there.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    192
    I run these two bar mounted and one helmet mounted and they make things glow very well. Can I make a suggestion if you intend to make a purchase be it a kit or just single items send an email to AY-UP and ask to swap out the 2 channel charger for a 6 channel and pay the difference. I did this and I no longer have to wait to charge my batteries I can charge them all in one hit because of the now 6 charging points so this in my opinion is a safe way to protect future upgrades should you seek out more batteries.

    Sure there are brighter light on the market be it DIY or manufactured ones but AY-UP in my opinion have really done a great job on keeping things compact robust and including everything that will get you mounted and started to go riding using lights. Not only that but they don't get hot nor need airflow to keep them cool so when stopping you can continue to allow them too burn.

    Dealing with them has been excellent and if you read there warranty while I haven't had to use it it sound very solid ad they stand behind there product so that there is good too know. Still everyone has to find the lights that will suit there needs so check them all out if your thinking of upgrading or getting some extra bits.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    62
    yep, got 2 pairs, different throws.

    320 lumens, 6 hours runtime, at that incredible weight, u'll be hardpressed to find another with that performance-to-weight ratio.

    service absolutely rocks too.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chalkpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    596
    I just bought the mtb kit and am really stoked about the setyup. I was surprised how quick the batteries charged. Also like the way the narrow beam on head and regular beam on bike work really well on just about eliminating the shadows around rocks, logs. I can adjust each of the four lights to work out pretty nice. I give them a thumbs yup.
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

  6. #6
    Feet back and spread 'em!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    624
    i bought the AYUP roadie kit with the medium optics. love it so far, plenty bright, very light and i can't believe that tiny little battery goes 6+ hours...but it does.
    the time is right for violent revolution

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,631
    Anyone have a comparison from Ay-up to Dinotte 400L?

    J.

  8. #8
    Goats Rule!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    306
    I don't have pics, but one of the guys I ride with has a pair of Ay-ups and I ride with Dinotte 400 and 800's.

    The tint is much nicer on the Ay-ups, and the spot beam is much more of a true spot than the Dinotte's. I think the Dinotte 400L gives a much nicer beam pattern for bar mounting, and personally like the 400L on the helmet except when dust is picked up before me - then, I think the Ay-up spot would be nicer.

    I find the Ay-up intermediate beam to be a bit too ringy for my taste, and not wide enough for the bars. They are nice lights though, so don't get me wrong.

    Given the choice (which I was ) I like Dinotte more.

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80
    Anyone have a comparison from Ay-up to Dinotte 400L?

    J.

  9. #9
    Primative Screwhead
    Reputation: Feideaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by KingOfTheHill
    I don't have pics, but one of the guys I ride with has a pair of Ay-ups and I ride with Dinotte 400 and 800's.

    The tint is much nicer on the Ay-ups, and the spot beam is much more of a true spot than the Dinotte's. I think the Dinotte 400L gives a much nicer beam pattern for bar mounting, and personally like the 400L on the helmet except when dust is picked up before me - then, I think the Ay-up spot would be nicer.

    I find the Ay-up intermediate beam to be a bit too ringy for my taste, and not wide enough for the bars. They are nice lights though, so don't get me wrong.

    Given the choice (which I was ) I like Dinotte more.
    That's a good review - I've got two pairs and find them a tad spotty, particularly the intermediate. But, their incredibly light and robust
    Ego maniacs please object to my posts.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    161
    i have ay ups and their awesome
    the only other lights i have tried r the trinewt and too heavy and bulky and battery time wasnt that good, i would rate ay ups as way better and at least in aussi they r a lot cheaper
    i have also seen the battery space lights and they r a lot heavier and bulky as well

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    84
    I got the Ayup Mountain bike kit and i am really happy with them. They are light, compact and good value for money for the price you pay.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by hows it goin
    i have ay ups and their awesome
    the only other lights i have tried r the trinewt and too heavy and bulky and battery time wasnt that good, i would rate ay ups as way better and at least in aussi they r a lot cheaper
    i have also seen the battery space lights and they r a lot heavier and bulky as well
    nothing comes close to the value, performance, weight & batt life combo of the Ayups, really.

    not to mention the looks.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,631
    That's a pretty strong recommendation. Why are they better specifically than the Dinotte 400L?

    J.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80
    That's a pretty strong recommendation. Why are they better specifically than the Dinotte 400L?

    J.
    not in every area but let's see:

    320 lumens vs 400

    198g vs 240

    6 hrs vs 2.5

    180usd vs 269

    hmmm and......



    vs

    Last edited by sghound; 04-04-2009 at 09:48 PM.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,631
    Are their any beam shots of both of these side by side?

    J.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80
    Are their any beam shots of both of these side by side?

    J.
    i'm sure u can find them somewhere in the forums.

    pricewise, another comparison would be the ayups ($180) vs 200L ($229)

    320 lumens vs 200

    6 hours vs 4

    198g vs 315g

    hence valuewise, tis hard to beat the ayups, really.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,631
    I just priced out an Ayup headlight. While the price is cheaper due to the exchange rate, the shipping is a killer - $45 to the states. There really isn't much price difference when you add in the mounts that Ayup has extra and that Dinotte includes, shipping and cost of the light.
    J.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1
    I haven't tried many lights... just read many forums and descriptions... but the AyUp Beams for my helmet I received work fantastic and look like they will last a long time. I ride the road at night and they ensure no unfortunate run in's with dead carcasses! If you know what i mean...
    bob

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    192
    AY-UP's work ok for me I recommend them.
    Last edited by }SkOrPn--7; 04-15-2009 at 05:39 PM.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,631
    was that with two Ayups (one on bar, one on helmet)?

    J

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80
    was that with two Ayups (one on bar, one on helmet)?

    J
    Yeah it is as you can tell from the light that is all over the place bobbing around that is the helmet mounted one.

    This might give a better example of a shot that is before and after the lights are on. It has a good throw and lights up the place well enough considering that the test was done on a non reflective surface being grass. The trees in the distance you see as it pans too the right is 90m away so good enough for me and works a treat on the trails and goat tracks.
    Last edited by }SkOrPn--7; 04-15-2009 at 05:40 PM.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    169
    Hey Everyone...I am trying to get a decent helmet light to replace my really old niteRider. My budget is $250 or less. With the Ay-up, if I get the "multi-sport" kit, with the $45 shipping costs, it comes to right around $200....which is great. So, this kit comes with only one light, if I'm going to be using it on my helmet, which beam do you recommend? The narrow beam or the intermediate beam?
    Also, does anyone use the gecko mount? It it worth the extra cost?

    Any suggesions or informatoin much appreciated. Thanks.~ matt f

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by mforness3000
    Hey Everyone...I am trying to get a decent helmet light to replace my really old niteRider. My budget is $250 or less. With the Ay-up, if I get the "multi-sport" kit, with the $45 shipping costs, it comes to right around $200....which is great. So, this kit comes with only one light, if I'm going to be using it on my helmet, which beam do you recommend? The narrow beam or the intermediate beam?
    Also, does anyone use the gecko mount? It it worth the extra cost?

    Any suggesions or informatoin much appreciated. Thanks.~ matt f
    I have a narrow mounted on my helmet and find it the best option as it focuses the light but still has the ability to allow light spray when closer due to reflection. Having said that I also have bar mounted lights but if I didn't have bar lights I would still purchase the narrow beam after riding and now seeing the benefits one can get from a single narrow beam.

    If you can save up a few more $$$ I suggest getting the MTB kit which gives you two lights and many other extras you won't be disappointed but I understand you have a budget. With the Gecko mount at first I wasn't going to worry about it but during the purchase I changed my mind and glad I did. This little device is so simple to use and far better light and battery mounting than the old system.

    Matt pop them an email and ask if you can swap out the old mounting system and pay the difference to have included the Gecko this way your saving a few bucks. My final thoughts is seriously consider holding off and getting the MTB kit because having a bar mounted light keeps light on the trail pointed where the wheel is pointing. This then allows for your head to be free to point the helmet light where you want never not having light on the trail due to the bar light.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    192
    Matt as another suggestion this might be a way to go for the bar mount light that would be a cheap solution or even getting 2 lights and mount the other on the helmet and scrap the AY-UP idea but just remember the AY-UP are nothing but quality where as your taking a small risk with these torches from deal extreme.

    P7 LED Flashlight, bar mounted

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80
    I just priced out an Ayup headlight. While the price is cheaper due to the exchange rate, the shipping is a killer - $45 to the states. There really isn't much price difference when you add in the mounts that Ayup has extra and that Dinotte includes, shipping and cost of the light.
    J.
    $45 shipping doesn't sound too bad. I fried my Battery space charger and they want $26 for a new one and $81 postage for it to Australia. Considering the HID ballast broke when the light was only six months old and I was using the batterys with a halogen bulb I am going to put the money towards something new which will probably be Ayups. Batteryspace shipping is the killer.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •