mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Good job! Awesome video about Fenix Bike Light BT20

Fenix BT20 Bike Light-The world's first dual distance beam system - YouTube
    It's said that Fenix BT20 is the world's first dual distance beam system. What do you think of BT20?

mtbr member
    "Employing the pioneering dual distance beam system, the upward beam of BT20 is refracted by the lens, forming an auxiliary beam in the front area of the wheels where ordinary bicycle light can not reach."

Hey! They stole my idea!

Behold the 2009 Dual Distance Beam Magicshine:

Joking aside, the BT20 seems very interesting.
    When it's 20 below freezing and the snow lays 10 inches deep, bicycle commuting kind of sucks.

mtbr member
    Looks like a nice light, but I could do without the large housing. Take that same light and put it in a housing like the Gemini Xera. I much prefer a smaller footprint for the helmet; less weight, and less to snag on branches.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Cash Hunter - I'm guessing you're the Fenix rep on here?

As soon as I saw the "cycle through lots of modes to get back to the one you want" UI I lost interest. I appreciate that Fenix are a torch company, but the whole fixed torch/ flashlight UI is so 2010 Magicshine. A lot of bike light companies are now innovating with programmable UIs, so you can pick the modes you want and how many, their brightness and how you go between them. I'm disappointed that Fenix didn't do something similar.

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    Cash Hunter - I'm guessing you're the Fenix rep on here?

As soon as I saw the "cycle through lots of modes to get back to the one you want" UI I lost interest. I appreciate that Fenix are a torch company, but the whole fixed torch/ flashlight UI is so 2010 Magicshine. A lot of bike light companies are now innovating with programmable UIs, so you can pick the modes you want and how many, their brightness and how you go between them. I'm disappointed that Fenix didn't do something similar.
    it's a sub $100 light. I can put up with a fair bit extra weight and older-school functionality for that amount of light at that value.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Interesting indeed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lonefrontranger View Post
    it's a sub $100 light. I can put up with a fair bit extra weight and older-school functionality for that amount of light at that value.
    it's also going to be competing against a plethora of Magicshine and other Chinese bike lights at a fair bit less than that price point, plus a bunch of all-in-one bike lights (NiteRider, Cygolite? forgot the brand) at the same price or a bit more, with a bunch more features. The bike light market at that price point is incredibly competitive and I just don't see anything that particularly stands out about this light.

uh huh
    Oct 2012
    ragnar.jensen,

what kind of a lens set-up are you running? The top half looks like a MagicShine Wide Angle lens.

Also, the bar mount for the light housing looks very custom, certainly not Magicshine's little rubber band mount. What is it, or how did you put it together?

thanks

mtbr member

My lens is a part of a magnifying glass

Quote Originally Posted by notnowvbs View Post
    ragnar.jensen,

what kind of a lens set-up are you running? The top half looks like a MagicShine Wide Angle lens.
    I'm using this light on my road bike. I was a bit concerned that it would blind other cyclists when I'm on the bike path and I wanted to put the light that just goes up in the treetops to some use on the road.

So, there are two purposes of the lens I've added:
    1. Bring the halo down and out of the eyes of people I'm meeting.
    2. Elongate the spot, so I can point the light fairly far forward of me but still have usable light close to the front wheel.

The lens is made out of a flat magnifier lens.

The magnifier bends light more the farther from the center of it you get. I used the part marked in red. It's made of vinyl, so I just cut out the shape I wanted with a pair of scissors.

The lens is squeezed between the reflector and the standard, flat lens.

Beamshot, unmodified light:

A bright center spot surrounded by a big, round halo.

Beamshot, dual beam lens:

The upper part of the halo has been brought down and concentrated inwards. The center spot is stretched out downwards
    The light is very close to the wall in this shot, the effect of the spot elongation is much more pronounced out on the road.
    I'll make some "on the road" beamshots if anyone is interested.

Also, the bar mount for the light housing looks very custom, certainly not Magicshine's little rubber band mount. What is it, or how did you put it together?

thanks
    It is a Marwi mount with a MS 900 adapter and a Marwi Mount Kit, that I bought here: LED Bike light parts

I use them on most of my bikes:

--
    Ragnar
    Last edited by ragnar.jensen; 10-12-2012 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Changed pics to JPG format for faster loading.
    When it's 20 below freezing and the snow lays 10 inches deep, bicycle commuting kind of sucks.

uh huh
    Oct 2012
    ragnar,
    you're good, real good.
    Detailed info like this is always appreciated and is the best of what Forums can do for the users.
    If you get the time, a beam 'road shot' as you mentioned would be great.
    keep the good stuff coming!

mtbr member
    I'm actually getting the bt20 to test so let me know what tests you want to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uh huh
    Oct 2012
    A beam shot of ragnar's modified light on the road would be great...............
    and as long as you are offering, I'm sure everyone would appreciate a shot of your new Fenix bt20.

mtbr member

2009 Dual Distance Beam Magicshine Beamshots

Off the wall:

The two beams are clearly visible. The spot has taken on an hour-glass shape, there are almost two separate spots.
    The upper part of the halo is lower. It is also brighter because the lens makes it narrower and thus more concentrated.
    And yes, there is quite a bit of difference in tint between the two lights.

Unlit bike path:

Street crossing:
    I'm standing under a street-light that illuminates the crossing street. The street in front of me is unlit.

Just to clarify, this is not the BT20. It is my modified Magicshine.

--
    Ragnar
    Last edited by ragnar.jensen; 10-12-2012 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Clarification: not BT20

mtbr member
    Looks like a regular bad bike light. I have a Fenix flashlight and it is OK, but i was not blown away with its quality by any means. My old SureFire flashlight is better made. This bike light doesn't seem very different from my flashlight. Nothing special IMO - just a low quality product with a lot of hype - it is insulting to the intelligence frankly.

uh huh
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by androgen View Post
    Looks like a regular bad bike light. I have a Fenix flashlight and it is OK, but i was not blown away with its quality by any means. My old SureFire flashlight is better made. This bike light doesn't seem very different from my flashlight. Nothing special IMO - just a low quality product with a lot of hype - it is insulting to the intelligence frankly.
    Androgen, do you realize those beam shots are not from a Fenix light?

uh huh
    Oct 2012
    Ragnar,
    good stuff to be sure. Now I need to source some of that magnifying vinyl here in the U.S.
    I'm thinkin' any office supply store would have it.

Ragnar, is there any concern about the vinyl getting too hot?

mtbr member
    Androgen, do you realize those beam shots are not from a Fenix light?
    i was talking about the video. it just looks like a fake niterider minewt.

uh huh
    Oct 2012
    Got it...............makes more sense now.

mtbr member
    Ragnar,
    good stuff to be sure. Now I need to source some of that magnifying vinyl here in the U.S.
    I'm thinkin' any office supply store would have it.

Ragnar, is there any concern about the vinyl getting too hot?
    No concerns, it absorbs very little light. I've had it on for almost three years.

--
    Ragnar

uh huh
    Oct 2012
    Ragnar............so when do you file your civil case against Fenix?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by androgen View Post
    Well that's interesting your damning a product before its even made it to market. And its insulting your intelligence. Now that is interesting.

But then again what do I know, I sold my SF's and own a fenix.

I'm keeping an open mind until my sample turns up at the end of the month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by spankone; 10-13-2012 at 11:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by spankone View Post
    But then again what do I know, I sold my SF's and own a fenix.

I'm keeping an open mind until my sample turns up at the end of the month.
    Can't agree you more. Anyway, the more competitors, the more benefits for our customers.
    Last edited by regulation12; 10-15-2012 at 07:53 PM.