Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Good reviews as always SW.

I'm hitting the trails and taking pictures some time this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

mtbr member
    So sorry for the late, as I was away for the Interbike show in USA, and still in USA, I will be back in 28th, I will put the list on asap. The samples should be already in our warehouse, we will arrange to send out asap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Projektio View Post
    So how's this coming along? It's also awfully quiet on the review front, any chance of getting links to the reviews done by the first batch? It's light season already here, and I still need to buy a new helmet light. S12 seems like a good alternative.
    Xeccon: Stay Safe, Stay Ahead

mtbr member

Hi there

Hi there,

Thanks a lot for your support.
    Haha, you could be my assistant, but it got be free, is that OK?

Quote Originally Posted by pucked up View Post
    It seems like Faye is very busy and may need an assistant. I would like to be that assistant!!!

mtbr member
    Hi Leonard,

Thanks a lot for your kindly supporting!
    You are keeping help to answer all the question here, I think it will be very helpful for the attendee of Global Light Exposuere and the fans of the Xeccon lights, I will keep checking it all, and keep all the good advice and feedback in mind, also, some good idea, I will discuss with our team, but sometime, I don't have enough time to reply all of them, I hope it will be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbRevolution View Post
    I should be staying out of this thread as it's for reviews from others who received lights for the Global Lighting Exposure. However since there are questions in your reply I will do my best to answer them.

I'm not sure if you have the latest version but if you said you only had it for less than a week, then you should have been the updated version. When was it actually shipped? The o-ring mount inclusion is a mystery to me. Faye was away at Eurobike just over a week ago and someone else may have been arranging some shipments including yours. A mistake may be made here. The alloy camlock is a definite inclusion. Have you checked if it has 6 fast strobes or the old 3 strobe battery warning when it turns red or flashing red?

Are you saying there is still parasitic drain with the battery status light off? In my experience, most bike lights will have parasitic drain when the connectors are connected but to what degree is the question. Your point on convenience is shared by others. There's been discussion about adding switches at the connectors but you really don't want to go down some rock garden and have that switch hit by a knee or the switch click off when it hits the bike frame. I suggested a twist switch but really, it's easier to disconnect when not using for over 24 hours. There's an old saying. For every extra saint, there is a corresponding devil.

Ahh, the joys of having a mix of 12.6V and 8.4V battery packs. I thought those were only with Bikeray IV. Using a 8.4V light head with a 12V battery seems ok. I say seem because I don't know if there's long term damage using them this way. If you plug them together it seems to work fine and output is about the same as using 8.4V packs. Do the reverse and you have a very dim 12V light head. The Hi will look like Lo. Now, I am quite sure this won't harm the light head.

Please do a runtime test with the Geinea II. See if it gets you 3 hours 5 mins or thereabouts with the 12.6V 5.2AH battery.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by XecconLight View Post

Haha, you could be my assistant, but it got be free, is that OK?
    It's hard to receive quality work when it's done for free. But for some lights, you may just get a diamond in the rough!
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Any new word on the second batch list??

Quote Originally Posted by XecconLight View Post
    Hi All,

All the items almost sent out now, only a few meet a battery problem in Customs, it was returned, we will re-send these days soon, so, I hope that you all will get them recently, and the second batch list will be coming in next Thursday, I will list here too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ironbrewer View Post
    Any new word on the second batch list??
    Hey ironbrewer, thought I'd let you know Faye is still in the US well deserved short break. They have not had a break since Eurobike. She will be back in the office 28th or 29th. Don't know why she said Thurs though.

I'm sorry for those still waiting. I understand the delays very well. We've been having hits and misses with Li-ion shipments to the US. We gone as far as asking customers for favors by piggybacking their shipments.
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    The Second batch

US-SB
    CA--EH
    PH--DM
    HU--ED
    IT TEAM GL
    IT MC
    IT Af
    IT GR
    IT Sb
    IT MA
    IT PT 
    IT AS
    IT GS
    JP FG
    USA JO
    USA FJ
    USA JL
    Israel MM
    USA TS
    USA RB
    USA PS
    USA TR
    USA SW
    AU AS
    AU ST

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Dang...I'm not on the list! Is there a third batch? lol.
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Hi guys any chance of a basic break down of the lumens of each mode and estimated run times in each mode. And when does the battery fuel light change in relation to battery life in % for example it changes to blue when battery is at 50%?

Both the instructions and your website details for the spiker and sogn900 are very poor!

http://www.mtbrevolution.com/index.p...product_id=215

The spiker page lists 4 modes it has 3 the page list theoretical lumens. (Why bother) and the estimated lumens at 650 contradicts the 850L listed in the manual, this is very confusing!

What's its Lumen out put in high, low and on flash and it's estimated run times in each mode. Basic information that's not provided in a clear and simple manor.

Over all the light heads are nice but let down by poor battery water proofing whacky UI's and crappy manuals.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spankone View Post
    Hi guys any chance of a basic break down of the lumens of each mode and estimated run times in each mode. And when does the battery fuel light change in relation to battery life in % for example it changes to blue when battery is at 50%?

Both the instructions and your website details for the spiker and sogn900 are very poor!

Xeccon Spiker 1211 Mini Spot Light

The spiker page lists 4 modes it has 3 the page list theoretical lumens. (Why bother) and the estimated lumens at 650 contradicts the 850L listed in the manual, this is very confusing!

What's its Lumen out put in high, low and on flash and it's estimated run times in each mode. Basic information that's not provided in a clear and simple manor.

Over all the light heads are nice but let down by poor battery water proofing whacky UI's and crappy manuals.

Thank you for your feedback. We are still updating the mtbrevolution website so it reads better - it was a shocker since the transition and haven't found the time to look into it. We are still updating the Sogn 900 page here. This page will be used as a template for the rest. To be frank, I am unaware of other bike light websites which provide as much information as we do. We state runtime test, beamshots, video shots etc because we care for the reader getting useful information. He/she can crosscheck these information against forum postings, online review sites, blogs and other sources to make an informed decision. We state battery fuel light as indication to how our lights and batteries behave although we'd rather we didn't. It is not accurate and personally, I've been asking for them to be revamped or removed. Other websites either say less keep it simple or tow the manufacturer's line.

We will publish accurate lumen numbers when we're convinced they are accurate. Right now, mtbRevolution publish numbers based on experience with the lights we've seen, used, video-ed and taken arrays of pics of. You can still call it a guesstimate. I've been advocating standardized lumen numbers for bike lights with readings taken at 8, 10 or 15 mins. ANSI standards are at 30 seconds, I am told. This allows certain manufacturers to skirt the grey areas of these standards by artificially boosting their products for the first minute. This creates a wow factor but heat rapidly builds consuming the light head. It'll lose 30% of it's "official lumens" in 8 minutes. Imagine this light's graph if reviewed by SW. IMO performance over an hour to two is what matters. This is why Xeccon invested in a new production facility with testing lab fitted with Volnic testing equipment. We will update results in our website stating lumens at time points. Whether Xeccon does this in their manuals, that's their prerogative. Independent verification are still required for public confidence in our future testing systems.

The manuals have not been updated. These numbers are based on an engineer's estimate which we can agree or dispute. At mtbRevolution we will publish lumen numbers independently because we believe those numbers are closer to actual output whether it contradicts or not. When new information comes to light, we will adjust information accordingly. We need 2 or 3 independent readings to call a conclusion. For instance, once Xeccon gives us their Geinea II integrating sphere results, we will adjust according to SW or another independent reviewer's sphere results. Else it stays where we think it should based on the array of lights we'd seen and used. This is the very reason why other's and ourselves use comprehensive reviewers like subwoofer - for the record subwoofer has known Faye and Xeccon long before we worked with them. I do not know SW besides his reviews I've read at CPF or Bikeforums. We used ColleenC in previous reviews because of her integrating sphere for independent lumen numbers, great beamshots, and good write ups like SW. They don't sugarcoat their findings nor do they show prejudice. They have a set structure in their reviews and conclude at the end.

Why do we publish theoretical or generated lumen numbers? We decided over a year ago we'd follow Hopetech's lead in this aspect. We found it useful to know what the theoreticals/generated versus real/measured lumens are. Not every bike light shopper is as savvy when it comes to bike light specs. They would believe a XM-L T6 producing 2300 lumens. We included theoretical to show what the emitters are capable of and how they actually perform in that said light. Hopefully this will help newbies comprehend and understand the ""ebay concept" vs the realistic fact. We'd do away with it eventually when we have undeniable time based lumen averages.

The UI you speak of is basic Hi>Med>Lo>Strobe>Off. Granted we have to improve on this and we will. I've told Xeccon many times good UIs are side features people look for in a light. Other considerations are probably build quality, quality components used, consistent brightness, thermal management, beam pattern, build quality, alloy camlock mounting system with silicone washers (Sogn), battery quality, hard shell waterproof design (Sogn only - don't know why you got the soft shell for review), and extended runtimes - more than 3 hours 30 mins min for Sogn and 4 hours 30 mins for the Spiker 1211 which is now even extended further with upgraded Samsung pack. The Sogn and 1211 are used by our sponsored riders in the upcoming WEMBO and Scott 25. They have been riding and training with it. There's no need to switch up and down. They leave them on Hi because the runtimes with these lights are very good.

Xeccon always find a way to pleasantly surprise us with little upgrades almost every time we order. They do listen to feedback but sometimes production has gone too far for certain things to change immediately. They do this to raise their pride producing better products. It's never once about cost with them.

@ pucked: please send Faye an e-mail. I am not involved with the Global Exposure directly and do not know who has what. As you can see, the list is quite long. We hope to get feedback and reviews from other users as well so please post your thoughts. We should not be afraid of criticism. To hear but not listen would be worse.
    Last edited by mtbRevolution; 09-29-2013 at 01:20 AM. Reason: typos
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    The sogn page is far better than the page for the spiker. But I would still like to see a brake down of the lumens in mode. Your medium could be very different to some one else's

For example.

mtbr member

Apply free lights/ Xeccon, 2013 Globabl Lighting Exposure

Spiker 1211 high and low modes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Apply free lights/ Xeccon, 2013 Globabl Lighting Exposure-imageuploadedbytapatalkhd1380486646.730664.jpg  

Apply free lights/ Xeccon, 2013 Globabl Lighting Exposure-imageuploadedbytapatalkhd1380486705.350475.jpg  

mtbr member

Sogn 900 high medium and low

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Apply free lights/ Xeccon, 2013 Globabl Lighting Exposure-imageuploadedbytapatalkhd1380486735.872875.jpg  

Apply free lights/ Xeccon, 2013 Globabl Lighting Exposure-imageuploadedbytapatalkhd1380486810.118596.jpg  

Apply free lights/ Xeccon, 2013 Globabl Lighting Exposure-imageuploadedbytapatalkhd1380486839.899661.jpg  

mtbr member

Lets try this again.

in sequence order we have the spiker 1211, high/low
    then the sogn 900 high/medium/low
    then xtar bk12 high/medium/low
    and for reference fenix pd35 on high.

xeccon spiker 1211 vs xeccon sogn 900 vs xtar bk12 and fenix pd35 photo 5SecondsApp_zps60e3aba5.gif

Its just a quick gif I will do some better ones at some point.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by spankone; 09-30-2013 at 05:30 AM.

mtbr member
    I've noticed you've updated the spiker 1211 page, its loads better now guys makes far more sense

Xeccon Spiker 1211 Mini Spot Light

still would be great to know the output of the other modes but its a great improvement

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Recently, I received the Xeccon Niguer 300. Claimed to be 1100lumens, but I would say that this is by far the brightest bike light that I have owned; and I have been through a few.

I absolutely love this small light. It can securely mount on handlebars, your helmet or your head. Installation is a breeze, no tools needed.
    The light has three modes, High power Beam, Low power beam, and a flashing mode.

The beam is angle is perfect, wide enough for you to see what is around you which makes it a great trail riding light, and narrow enough for light to reach farther ahead which is good for fast trail sections and road biking.

This may be a good light for the trails, but you wouldn't want to be at the receiving end. Believe me, it is as bright as being in front of a car. Fortunately, there is a low power beam making it less blinding whenever on well lit roads.

This light screams for attention. Car drivers and pedestrians will certainly notice you, especially when in flashing mode.

Since I received it about a month ago, I have used it for a total of 2 to 3 hours on rides. And until now, I have not recharged. The Samsung 5200mAh battery that came with the light seems to hold up its charge very well. The battery straps itself on the bike. And with the extension cable, you can strap it anywhere you like.

When turned on, the light also illuminates a small indicator light and the power/mode select button. Which is very convenient so you can see the button even in the darkest trails.

I love the button placement of this light which is right on top and square to the bar, prevents it from moving. On my other lights, button is at the rear, pressing the button while riding moves the angle a bit - makes it dip down.

The light came with accessories: Handlebar mount, Helment mount, 2 O rings, Head strap, a Battery Pack, and extension cable and a Charger.

Overall, I am very happy and recommend it to everyone.

Bike Snob
    Quote Originally Posted by dexmax View Post

The light came with accessories: Handlebar mount, Helment mount, 2 O rings, Head strap, a Battery Pack, and extension cable and a Charger.

I also received a Niguen light and would like to second what dexmax has stated above. This is a well built light, that is small but puts out some great light.
    I have used it on the road and commuting and have had two different cars flash their brights at me to turn it down. Joggers put their hands up to shade their eyes like they are staring into the sun.

I mount the light under the bar for road days. Small and unobtrusive.
    Apply free lights/ Xeccon, 2013 Globabl Lighting Exposure-wp_20130920_003.jpg

On the dirt I use it as a head lamp because of it's lightweight. When used in tandem with the Spiker that I also received things get really bright. My buddy may need retina implants to fix his eyes after looking directly into the blast furnace that is the Spiker.

I have put 3 hr rides in with both lights and the batteries have held up. The Spiker has a unique system to tell give you battery status, it's great for peace of mind on those longer rides.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Further to what 'can't get right' said, this light looks great on my bike (and matches my color scheme)..

I always have it on (even in daytime trail rides) as an accessory/bling..

mtbr member

Scott 25hr Team Tent

Apply free lights/ Xeccon, 2013 Globabl Lighting Exposure-img_2310.jpg

Guy & gang's hut last weekend. Solo entrants Jason and Peter will be going for it at WEMB0 this weekend. Lights used for their assault are Spiker 1211 on helmet and Sogn 900 on bars.
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Hi, any guys who know about Bike To Work Campaign or heard about it ever before ?
    Xeccon sponsored lights for it and some photoes in Budapest, come in and see at: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by can't get right View Post
    This is a well built light, that is small but puts out some great light.
    I have used it on the road and commuting and have had two different cars flash their brights at me to turn it down. Joggers put their hands up to shade their eyes like they are staring into the sun.

On the dirt I use it as a head lamp because of it's lightweight. When used in tandem with the Spiker that I also received things get really bright. My buddy may need retina implants to fix his eyes after looking directly into the blast furnace that is the Spiker.
    Your comments very clearly indicate a growing issue now with these lights, that of dazzling other people on foot, on bikes or in vehicles. This is something I am very concerned about as any road vehicle that used lights like this would be outlawed as dangerous.

Due to the design effectively having a very bright point source of light, it becomes dazzling to anyone facing it whether in the hotspot or even in the outer spill.

Try turning on your light and then walk ahead of the bike and look back at it.

I now find that both the Geinea I and II I have have to be turned off when approaching anyone else as even on the lower settings (which are not low enough) they are pretty dazzling and if you think putting them on the flashing modes is any better, think again. Other people/road users can see you from three miles away, but get close and it is blinding. The flashes are at full brightness, but should be at a much lower output level.

To cope with this issue I have a Fenix BT10 on low or medium output so when I have to turn off the Geineas I am not left in the dark.

We need bike light manufacturers to think again. It is not just about maximum output unless you live in the middle of nowhere, we have to live with others, and how happy would you be if a cyclist approaching you had their Spiker, Geinea, or Niguer on full blast. You would certainly notice them and curse them as they went by.

Please can Xeccon think about reflector and lens designs to help reduce dazzle.
    Subwoofer - Objective and Honest reviews
    Latest Reviews
    ”The Torch Geek”

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by subwoofer View Post
    Your comments very clearly indicate a growing issue now with these lights, that of dazzling other people on foot, on bikes or in vehicles.
    I have to agree with you here.
    As a road cyclist...I am hyper aware of cyclists when I'm driving. But some of these blinding rear flashers are....well... blinding. And the head lights add to the issue.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well I received the Geinea II and was very happy how easily it attached to the bike. No special mount, just easy quick release mechanism for the light itself and a simple elastic o ring for the switch. Also, the battery fit nicely into the bottle catch on my Canyon Strive which has a very fat top and down tube (making it awkward to Velcro the battery).

I like the way you can scroll up and down through the light settings too with the up and down buttons. This is probably why the light lasted the whole 50K of my cycle as I could easily dim or switch it off when not needed and brighten it again on dark roads.

Well anyway, here is the light in action on a very dark and rainy Irish mountain road (probably the ultimate bike light test).

Last edited by Liamdesign; 10-31-2013 at 04:50 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Xeccon Spiker 1210

I had the pleasure of receiving a SPiker 1210 for review. Firstly, let me say I appreciate the gesture and I hope this review provides the type of candid feedback your company is looking for

Packaging:
    A very nice tidy package arrived. Everything comes in a carrying bag and is neatly organized inside. Even if the light sucked, this would be great for bringing your lunch to work Good thing is the light does not suck (see Impressions section later)

The carrying case
    Apply free lights/ Xeccon, 2013 Globabl Lighting Exposure-photo-1.jpg
    The accessories inside
    Apply free lights/ Xeccon, 2013 Globabl Lighting Exposure-photo-2.jpg

Accessories:

This light comes with a lot of accessories. Not pictured is the charger (it was plugged into my wall socket at the time) The charger has a charge rate of 2000ma. That's a nice touch. Most cheap EBay/Amazon light options only come with a 1000ma charger, which means it takes a long time to charge up. I appreciated the 2000ma charger, and even though this unit came with a 6-cell battery, charge times were very respectable. I also want to mention the battery case/bag is excellent. Looks to be soft neoprene with a solid portion of velcro. This will not harm your bike's finish at all and keeps the battery from moving around while riding. I like this bag a lot.
    Apply free lights/ Xeccon, 2013 Globabl Lighting Exposure-photo-3.jpg

This is the helmet mount option. Note, the detachable part. This makes it easy to keep the mount base attached to your helmet, but remove the light when not needed... another nice touch.
    Apply free lights/ Xeccon, 2013 Globabl Lighting Exposure-photo-4.jpg

This is the 2nd option for the handlebar mount. The first is the standard O-ring style. Those riders who want a sturdier connection to the bars can use this instead. It comes with shims to fit all various bar diameters and features a quick-release clip for the light. This is a pretty cool feature. Many riders hate the O-ring mount style and this is a solid alternative. Though, I should mention the base of the light has rubber grippers so that is a great help in adding stability, should you stay with the o-ring mount style.
    Apply free lights/ Xeccon, 2013 Globabl Lighting Exposure-photo-5.jpg

A couple shots of the light itself. Construction seems excellent quality and light had a very solid feel. It looks to be well machined, and quite frankly - it looks really cool with the anodized red against black bit. It's not too large a light, (about the same size as the benchmark Magicshine 808) comparable with many offerings in this light segment - though it is not the smallest of lights either (like a gloworm X1 or many dual LED lightheads) Nonetheless, it's not too heavy and is only barely noticeable when mounted on the helmet. (This will vary of course depending on where you mount it.) One feature I do like is the dual-button control. Right button triggers disco mode for when you want to party in the woods... or send some night animals into seizures. The left button activates the useful modes of operation; hi, medium, and low. You don't need to cycle through strobe modes at all to get to the light level you want.
    Apply free lights/ Xeccon, 2013 Globabl Lighting Exposure-photo-6.jpg
    Apply free lights/ Xeccon, 2013 Globabl Lighting Exposure-photo-7.jpg
    Apply free lights/ Xeccon, 2013 Globabl Lighting Exposure-photo-8.jpg
    Apply free lights/ Xeccon, 2013 Globabl Lighting Exposure-photo-9.jpg
    Apply free lights/ Xeccon, 2013 Globabl Lighting Exposure-photo-10.jpg

Battery connector is unique to this brand. It's a square connection. It feels solid when connected. This is good, however the proprietary nature of this connection means you can't use most of the other 3rd-party battery options out there. As far as I know only Xeccon uses this square connection so they are your only option for support accessories.
    Apply free lights/ Xeccon, 2013 Globabl Lighting Exposure-photo-11.jpg

Impressions:
    First off, I admittedly don't have a great camera for taking beamshots, though I will try anyway and update in a few days hopefully. What I can say for now is that the light works very well in the woods. The beam pattern is a good mix of throw and flood. I was impressed by the light the LEDs (4x XP-G R5) put out. I only have experience with XML's and the older SSC P7 really and this compared very favorably to my other XML based lights. I will list some comparisons below;

SPiker vs. GloWorm X1: The x1 has better throw, definitely. The spiker is more floody. Personally, I like a helmet light to punch through as far down the trail as possible and the newer, smaller light heads with excellent throw are my first choice for a helmet mount. Plus, I've gotten used to having a small battery pack on my helmet and not being 'tethered' to my backpack with a battery shoved in it. For these reasons, I then tried the spiker on the bars.

Spiker vs. GloWorm X2: A surpisingly comparable pairing actually. I was impressed the spiker held up well vs. the X2. I have dual spot lenses loaded in my X2 and it wins in the throw category, and is about matched in the flood aspect. This is not to say the Spiker didn't put out good and usable light. The beam pattern is very even and it did throw well enough, just that the x2 did beat it out, but only slightly.

Spiker vs. eBay 3x XML: Despite the difference in emitters (XML vs. XP-G), and number of emitters (3 vs. 4) - this was a very very close comparison. Admittedly the 3x is much cheaper but comes with a crap battery and mediocre o-ring mounting system. The rest of the xeccon package makes it pretty attractive.

In short, it's a solid light package. It's not the smallest, lightest, or brightest - but it does compare favorably with many other lights out there in this price range. The mounting accessories really help by offering good options to the rider. It has a great UI, and the 6-cell battery and 2000ma charger are excellent inclusions.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast