Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    My xeccon Geinea I (front & rear light setup) arrived this week and I managed to get out today with it in typical Irish weather, cold and wet, so first test passed - they are waterproof! First impressions are very good. its pretty quick to get the lights setup and they are blindingly bright for their size.

I'll be posting a more detailed review over the coming days.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hello,

I got my Spiker 1207 last week,
    I have to say im very impressed with cary case and light itself, so far so good, 2000 lumens is very powerfull.
    I will post more review and photos later on once i can say more about it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pucked up View Post
    Is the Sogn 900 the wireless version? Interested to know how well it works. They should make one for helmet lights which would make more sence since you would no longer need to take your hands off the handle bar when you want to change modes.
    Good idea for the helmet lights of the Sogn 900 wireless, if you get an extra helmet strap and a back-up of O-ring mount, it can be used as helmet light.
    Xeccon: Stay Safe, Stay Ahead

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by XecconLight View Post
    Hi All, the second batch list will be coming in next Thursday, I will list here too.
    So how's this coming along? It's also awfully quiet on the review front, any chance of getting links to the reviews done by the first batch? It's light season already here, and I still need to buy a new helmet light. S12 seems like a good alternative.

mtbr member

Apply free lights/ Xeccon, 2013 Globabl Lighting Exposure

Be patient. I've only had my light a week or so. I need to fiddle with them the edit footage and upload. These things don't happen over night. First impressions are ok. They are nice solid lights but they do have their draw backs. Like the button stitching to high medium strobe and off plunging you into darkness. The mounts are nice. But I hate that I can't remove the wired in remote switch on the sogn 900.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

mtbr member

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Do you have a list of names who has been sent the second batch?
    Follow me on Twitter @OnOneCarbon456

Hi I'am an On-One Carbon 456 mountain bike, follow me to find out what i get up to...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ononecarbon456 View Post
    Do you have a list of names who has been sent the second batch?
    I will jump in since Faye is at Interbike now. She's the one managing this and may not check mtbr for the next few days. I know they had problems with batteries going to some countries and some sets were returned. Easiest nowadays is UK, AU and most of Europe except Russia. If you are in the US , its a challenge. Can be hit or miss.

Xeccon will do their best to get the sets to all on the list quickly. I can promise this on their behalf.
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    I have been fortunate enough to have been sent the Geinea I (front and rear) and II for testing.

Using an Integrating sphere I have the following headline ANSI output figures:

Geinea I White - 535lm
    Geinea I Red - 162lm

Geinea II White - 1156lm

I've also completed runtime traces which show good regulation throughout the run (more on that in the final reviews).

Part of the reason for posting in this thread is to start getting some opinions and feedback for these lights.

So far I am very impressed, but there is one fundamental criticism I would like Xeccon to address - that of parasitic drain. When the battery is connected, the electronic switch and driver circuit starts to draw power. The 'parasitic drain' current is quite high (so far I've managed to blow my mA meter trying to measure it) meaning that if you leave the battery connected for a few days of a couple of weeks, it runs down without being used. I would like to see a master OFF switch to disconnect the battery as right now I have to pull the battery connector off.

That said, the features and performance are very good. Much more detail in the final review
    Last edited by subwoofer; 09-24-2013 at 03:04 AM.

mtbr member

My major compliant is the UI. Why on earth do I have to cycle through all the modes and off to go back to high mode.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spankone View Post
    My major compliant is the UI. Why on earth do I have to cycle through all the modes and off to go back to high mode.

Perhaps a master OFF switch would address that issue (as long as the driver circuit has no mode memory). When I get home I'll try pulling the power connector apart when on, reconnect and see which mode comes on first.

mtbr member
    I doubt they are that smart, it seems they can build nice lights with good mounts but just screwy UI's really lets down what could be a good light

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by subwoofer View Post
    ...but there is one fundamental criticism I would like Xeccon to address - that of parasitic drain. When the battery is connected, the electronic switch and driver circuit starts to draw power. The 'parasitic drain' current is quite high (so far I've managed to blow my mA meter trying to measure it) meaning that if you leave the battery connected for a few days of a couple of weeks, it runs down without being used. I would like to see a master OFF switch to disconnect the battery as right now I have to pull the battery connector off.
    Hi subwoofer, welcome to mtbr. I've read your reviews on Bikeforums and CPF including Xeccon reviews last year. Your reviews are quite comprehensive and give a balanced view of pro and cons from a performance point of view compared to other lights in their class.

Since Faye isn't around to answer questions as promptly as possible, I will chime in on what you said about parasitic drain. I can't help but notice you have an o-ring mount on the Geinea II. This tells me you had it long before August last month. Reason I say this is, there were a few updates to Xeccon's lights since then. Battery indicator lights on switches are off, even when battery is connected with post early Aug lights. It only comes on when the light is turned on. The switch indicator light will turn off as soon as the light is turned off. I'd be surprised if there was still parasitic drain. This has now been applied across the board with all Xeccon's lights. Second tell-tale if it's a newer version is the 6 strobes per second battery warning indicator turns red or flashing red. There is no hint of darkness in between the six strobes. The much slower 3-strobe battery warning is history. Also, the Geinea II looks physically the same except for the alloy camlock mounting similar to the Sogns.
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbRevolution View Post
    Hi subwoofer, welcome to mtbr. I've read your reviews on Bikeforums and CPF including Xeccon reviews last year. Your reviews are quite comprehensive and give a balanced view of pro and cons from a performance point of view compared to other lights in their class.

Since Faye isn't around to answer questions as promptly as possible, I will chime in on what you said about parasitic drain. I can't help but notice you have an o-ring mount on the Geinea II. This tells me you had it long before August last month. Reason I say this is, there were a few updates to Xeccon's lights since then. Battery indicator lights on switches are off, even when battery is connected with post early Aug lights. It only comes on when the light is turned on. The switch indicator light will turn off as soon as the light is turned off. I'd be surprised if there was still parasitic drain. This has now been applied across the board with all Xeccon's lights. Second tell-tale if it's a newer version is the 6 strobes per second battery warning indicator turns red or flashing red. There is no hint of darkness in between the six strobes. The much slower 3-strobe battery warning is history. Also, the Geinea II looks physically the same except for the alloy camlock mounting similar to the Sogns.
    Thanks for your fast reply.

I too thought it strange that I had an o-ring mount rather than the camlock, especially since I have had it for less than a week now. It sounds as if I have an odd hybrid as the battery status light does only show when the main beam is on.

Regarding the parasitic drain, on the other Xeccon lights which had the battery status light on permanently (which these don't), the drain was very bad, but even now it appears to be quite high.

I've had trouble measuring it as of my three test meters, one can give misleading readings if there is noise in the power usage (in this case it shows either 0.39mA and 3.9uA depending on the scale used - which does not translate as it should either be 0.39mA and 390uA or 0.0039mA and 3.9uA) so these results cannot be trusted, a second meter which reads only mA up to 600mA and when using this the alarm sounds for high current, and finally one with mA and uA with a 600mA fuse which has blown during the measurements. So these lights have proven the most stubborn ever to try and measure the drain on!!

One other observation that comes to mind is that the Geinea uses an 8.4V pack and the Geinea II a 12.6V pack. Previously all the Xeccon lights I've tested have had 8.4V packs and all been interchangeable. Now I'm wondering if the Geinea I will survive having the 12.6V pack connected, and if the Geinea II will run on the 8.4V pack (and if the input specifications of these lights allow for this range of voltages - would be handy if they did).

mtbr member
    Thanks for your fast reply.

I too thought it strange that I had an o-ring mount rather than the camlock, especially since I have had it for less than a week now. It sounds as if I have an odd hybrid as the battery status light does only show when the main beam is on.

Regarding the parasitic drain, on the other Xeccon lights which had the battery status light on permanently (which these don't), the drain was very bad, but even now it appears to be quite high.

I've had trouble measuring it as of my three test meters, one can give misleading readings if there is noise in the power usage (in this case it shows either 0.39mA and 3.9uA depending on the scale used - which does not translate as it should either be 0.39mA and 390uA or 0.0039mA and 3.9uA) so these results cannot be trusted, a second meter which reads only mA up to 600mA and when using this the alarm sounds for high current, and finally one with mA and uA with a 600mA fuse which has blown during the measurements. So these lights have proven the most stubborn ever to try and measure the drain on!!

One other observation that comes to mind is that the Geinea uses an 8.4V pack and the Geinea II a 12.6V pack. Previously all the Xeccon lights I've tested have had 8.4V packs and all been interchangeable. Now I'm wondering if the Geinea I will survive having the 12.6V pack connected, and if the Geinea II will run on the 8.4V pack (and if the input specifications of these lights allow for this range of voltages - would be handy if they did).
    I should be staying out of this thread as it's for reviews from others who received lights for the Global Lighting Exposure. However since there are questions in your reply I will do my best to answer them.

I'm not sure if you have the latest version but if you said you only had it for less than a week, then you should have been the updated version. When was it actually shipped? The o-ring mount inclusion is a mystery to me. Faye was away at Eurobike just over a week ago and someone else may have been arranging some shipments including yours. A mistake may be made here. The alloy camlock is a definite inclusion. Have you checked if it has 6 fast strobes or the old 3 strobe battery warning when it turns red or flashing red?

Are you saying there is still parasitic drain with the battery status light off? In my experience, most bike lights will have parasitic drain when the connectors are connected but to what degree is the question. Your point on convenience is shared by others. There's been discussion about adding switches at the connectors but you really don't want to go down some rock garden and have that switch hit by a knee or the switch click off when it hits the bike frame. I suggested a twist switch but really, it's easier to disconnect when not using for over 24 hours. There's an old saying. For every extra saint, there is a corresponding devil.

Ahh, the joys of having a mix of 12.6V and 8.4V battery packs. I thought those were only with Bikeray IV. Using a 8.4V light head with a 12V battery seems ok. I say seem because I don't know if there's long term damage using them this way. If you plug them together it seems to work fine and output is about the same as using 8.4V packs. Do the reverse and you have a very dim 12V light head. The Hi will look like Lo. Now, I am quite sure this won't harm the light head.

Please do a runtime test with the Geinea II. See if it gets you 3 hours 5 mins or thereabouts with the 12.6V 5.2AH battery.
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Are you saying there is still parasitic drain with the battery status light off?

Please do a runtime test with the Geinea II. See if it gets you 3 hours 5 mins or thereabouts with the 12.6V 5.2AH battery.
    Yes, and 2h9m for Geinea II before it cuts out.

mtbr member
    Yes, and 2h9m for Geinea II before it cuts out.
    Best you send Faye an e-mail regarding this light you have. The runtime is almost an hour less than my runtime for a 12.6V 5.2AH battery.
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Best you send Faye an e-mail...
    It seems like Faye is very busy and may need an assistant. I would like to be that assistant!!!
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Best you send Faye an e-mail regarding this light you have. The runtime is almost an hour less than my runtime for a 12.6V 5.2AH battery.
    Will do.

One of my concerns about the 12.6V pack is that it means the cells are in 3S2P compared to the 8.4V pack being 2S3P. The result of this is that cell balancing becomes more critical and if one cell is weak, the overall impact on performance will be much larger.

I'll do a repeat or two when I get a chance.

On another note, I have a photo to post here to give Xeccon something to think on:

Can you see what I mean?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Will do.

One of my concerns about the 12.6V pack is that it means the cells are in 3S2P compared to the 8.4V pack being 2S3P. The result of this is that cell balancing becomes more critical and if one cell is weak, the overall impact on performance will be much larger.

I'll do a repeat or two when I get a chance.

On another note, I have a photo to post here to give Xeccon something to think on:

Can you see what I mean?

Wow...that must be blinding for you?
    "By Your Command"

Bike Snob
    Look what showed up last night. The lights look the business, reviews to follow. Thanks Xeccon.

Apply free lights/ Xeccon, 2013 Globabl Lighting Exposure-wp_20130918_002.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Just chiming in, I received a Spiker 1210 for testing yesterday. (Thanks!) I look forward to providing some detailed insights about my experience with it. It's just getting dark earlier around here so timing is perfect as the night riding season begins!

mtbr member
    Geinea II review posted:

Xeccon Geinea II bicycle light (6x18650 pack)

As an additional note, not being so well known on mtbr, I would like to point out that I am a totally independent reviewer, testing products in my spare time (I work in IT for a living) and am not in any way affiliated with Xeccon, I just happen to have previously tested some of their lights amongst many many others.

See here:

Subwoofer's Flashlight reviews

and here for a list of my other reviews

Subwoofer's Reviews
    Last edited by subwoofer; 09-24-2013 at 03:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Last edited by subwoofer; 09-24-2013 at 01:42 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast