Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Anyone using the Niterider Minewt 600 Cordless?

I'm looking for a simple and effective night light for singletrack and came across the Niterider Minewt 600 Cordless.
    Is anyone using this? Positive or Negative experience?

Is not amused
    Actually waiting for mine to get here. Let you know later this week.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    Actually waiting for mine to get here. Let you know later this week.
    Hey thanks, I look forward to your feedback.

I'm looking to purchase sooner than later so if anyone else has an opinion, thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I got the 250 on closeout. It's just for commuting on the bike trails, but after getting it I'm definetly interested in the 600. I like the light

Is not amused

No good

Well, bad news for now. After calling UPS twice, they told me "it will be there today". Well its 21:15.....Yet some how it was less then 10 miles away at their store at 1am this moring.

Well, just at 21:26....I get an email......The package was missed at the UPS facility, UPS will deliver on the next business day.

Yeah my bad UPS

I.m pissed.
    Last edited by Hutch3637; 07-27-2011 at 06:29 PM. Reason: update

Is not amused
    Finally arrived today, it's charging now so later tonight I"ll post about initial first impressions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    Finally arrived today, it's charging now so later tonight I"ll post about initial first impressions.
    Cool!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    keep us updated. im deciding on if I should get the Niterider minewt 600 or Cygolite expilion 400.

Is not amused

first review on miNewt 600

Take this post with a grain of salt as I've never had a light before.

Run down of the light.

On high level the run time is around 1:30-45 hours (600) lumens
    On medium the run time is around 3 hour (400) lumens
    On low the run time is around 5 hours (150) lumens

For the walk mode it's 10 hours (70) lumens

For flash mode unknown but it's (600) lumens and its retarted lol.

My first impression for this light is wow this is a bright light. Apparently cars do not like this light even on medium. But you are visible to everyone. At 600 I was asked to turn in down going down a street. I don't live near any wooded areas so the best I could do was go through the ghetto to a local park. You can all thank me later. The beam for me has a tear drop effect at the low point followed by a arrow beam. You'll see in the pictures what I mean. For mounting it the clamp is a little iffy even with stock bars but was tight none the less. It also comes with a helmet mount which I don't know if most lights do but I think it will be a great excessory if someone wants to just run it on the helmet. As for just running it on the bars I found it works and peforms just perfect for me.The mount also swivels side to side. The beam shoots out to the sides just enough while maintaining a true straight light path. As just for riding in the dark at this park (Schenectady) central park it peformed great. I figured lets go down some of the small trails, which I did and to my surprise I amost ran into pepe le pew a couple times and with the light it shot far enough down the trail that I saw the skunk prior to running it over. If you have any other questions or something I may have missed let me know. Now for the pictures. These are taken from my (my touch 4g) so bare with me please. Some of the pictures are ok but doesn't show this lights true potential. All pictures are on full 600 lumens btw.

In this first picture NO FLASH ON there is a post about 100-125 feet away in the upper right hand corner.

In the second picture NO FLASH I'm about 125-150 feet away.

Third picture came out the best for my phone. Sorry guys

Four picture just of the light.

Lastly the geese approved of the light apparently just for a breif minute.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    thanks for the update and review hutch! I havent found much info but are the minewts weatherproof?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I got mine yesterday and went night riding for the first time tonight. I don't have anything to compare it to as it is my first light but I am impressed. It charges with usb and came with a bar and helmet mount. My plan was to use this as my helmet light and then get something like the Baja Designs Strykr for the bars. I found the light bright enough for trail riding but it was a little heavy. 190 grams has never felt heavier than when it was pushing my helmet into my forehead at the bottom of hills. I liked the idea of no wires so I went for the cordless but now I think this might be the light for my bars even though it is not as wide as the Strykr I was planning on getting. So the light seems great, maybe not the best for a helmet light if you have a senstive head like I do. The even better news is that I loved night riding. I can't wait to go again! Here's a picture I took of the light with a half second shutter speed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by anekin007 View Post
    thanks for the update and review hutch! I havent found much info but are the minewts weatherproof?
    Niterider's FAQ says they are water resistant and good in the rain but cannot be submerged in water.

Is not amused
    Thank you. Good question, I"m pretty sure they are but I'm calling them tomorrow to find that out. It should be for 150$, actually it better be.

mtbr member
    any chance of a picture of the LED? I'm curious what they're running in it. I'm guessing an XM-L but it'd be nice to know

the minewts should all be showerproof - they have a silicone gasket sealing the light, an O-ring behind the coverglass and the switch is pretty water resistant. I've never heard of anybody having water issues with Minewts. Submergibility is a different matter and if you accidentally end up in a river or lake, the waterproofness of your light is probably the least of your concerns

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    any chance of a picture of the LED? I'm curious what they're running in it. I'm guessing an XM-L but it'd be nice to know
    Fairly certain it's a Cree MCE.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

my 600 cordless purchase

i just ordered the 600 cordless, didnt get it yet, will on tues. My biggest concern was the weight also. i have two mini 3 led battery powered lights on the handlebars and was going to run the 600 on my helmet. my thinking was the weaker led's dont have to go far since theyd be only illuminating the ground directly in front of the bike. but i see alot of guys running the more powerfull lights on their handlebars. still dont understand this setup? i ride pretty fast singletrack about 15-20mph+ at night so hopefully the 600lumen setting will be sufficient. my only question is. Is there a low batt. indicator or a power guage somewhere .unfortunatly my trail is about 15miles long and takes me almost a full hour and a half at night,,including the 2.5 miles to the trail and back which makes 20miles. so the battery hopefully will still last long enough for me. i saw some 18$ flashlights claiming a 1000 lumens also which means i could have gotten a 7000 lumen setup for the 140$ i spent on the 600 cordless. dont know if the ratings are accurate though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbMacgyver View Post
    Fairly certain it's a Cree MCE.
    that's curious and a shame. Still, no great surprise for a company that's still using SSC P4 LEDs.

I wonder if they're still using the old doughnut passive PCB and post setup..

Is not amused
    The led is cree and the power button will flash red when power is low. Also they said its fine to ride in inclimate weather.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm new to the night riding and I've just bought a Cygolite Pace 150 from PerformanceBike.com for $70. I was looking at the Niterider 600 first, and found them on eBay on sale for $129.99 with free shipping..

My question, is 600 lumens ACTUALLY 600 lumens? This 150 lumen Cygo I got seems really bright for 150. I'm really curious to see how much brighter this 600 could be!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    how does the beam/lumens on this one compare to the older Blowtorch HID? That's what I was used to using but am now shopping for something new. It had 2 settings- off, and blowtoch lol- it was bright and lasted for 4 hours. Why don't the LEDs last 4 hrs on full power?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mowerman View Post
    how does the beam/lumens on this one compare to the older Blowtorch HID? That's what I was used to using but am now shopping for something new. It had 2 settings- off, and blowtoch lol- it was bright and lasted for 4 hours. Why don't the LEDs last 4 hrs on full power?
    Hard to explain but I'll try. HID uses a ballast which ups the voltage to the ARC lamp. ARC lamps ( 13watts ) were very efficient for the amount of light they produced. However the 30watt version was not so efficient.

LED on the other hand can be efficient as well but it all depends on what LED you are using, how much light you want and what battery set-up you are using. All of that will determine run time. i.g. "A double XM-L on mid-mode ( drawing say about 800ma. each ) would provide nearly 600 lumen and with a four cell battery would run about 6 hrs ( ball park est. ), not to mention you could go lower or higher output depending on the need of the moment. That is something you really couldn't do with HID lamps. Also, when you turned an HID lamp off after a good many hours you really couldn't be sure you would have enough juice left to fire the ARC lamp back up. That is surely something you never have to deal with using LED's.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

my niterider 600 cordless review

got the 600 last night, went for a quick ride.. this light is great.. very very bright on max. setting, plenty illumination for fairly high speed night riding. the light itself looks cooler in person and is better well built than i thought . its also slightly smaller than the pics would have you believe. would love to get a second one for the handlebars as that would look really cool and be very bright. but is not needed just yet. overall happy with the light so far

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm still debating on the niterider minewt 600 or cygolite expilion 400. Minewt has higher lumen but expilion is lighter, $10 cheaper, and looks better. It looks like good reviews are coming in for the minewt 600. I haven't found a single review for the expilion 400 yet. Cheapest I found the minewt for is $113.32 from speedgoat.com I was going to buy something from treefortbikes.com and I needed something else to get the free shipping spending limit. Tree fort bike was able to do a instant price match for the minewt 600. Looks like I might go for minewt 600.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I've been using a couple of Niterider 250's for commuting this last winter. They're good lights, quite bright and reliable, and I haven't had any problems in the Seattle rain. Now I'm interested in upgrading to the 600, but I'd like to know if the 600 can use the charger and the mount from my 250's. Anyone know about that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by anekin007 View Post
    I'm still debating on the niterider minewt 600 or cygolite expilion 400. Minewt has higher lumen but expilion is lighter, $10 cheaper, and looks better. It looks like good reviews are coming in for the minewt 600. I haven't found a single review for the expilion 400 yet. Cheapest I found the minewt for is $113.32 from speedgoat.com I was going to buy something from treefortbikes.com and I needed something else to get the free shipping spending limit. Tree fort bike was able to do a instant price match for the minewt 600. Looks like I might go for minewt 600.
    I agree with your opinion about the asthetics. As to which is better, I don't know. But I've found a bike shop here in Australia that has done its own beam test photos & put them on line. While the exact two lights you are considering aren't there, there are pictures of the Expillion 250, the Minewt 350 & the Mitycross 400 among many others.
    Draw your own conclusions, but I think the Expillion 250 looks almost as bright as the Minewt 350, and the Cygolite Mitycross 400 looks way brighter than the Minewt 350. So much so, that I reckon Cygolites idea of what is 400 lumens could possibly be brighter than what Niterider is claiming 600 lumens is with their new cordless range. This is assuming that the Cygolite Expillion range & Mitycross range are on par with each other as far as claimed brightness is concerned. And just for reference, the "Nitelights" brand of lights on that page are basically Magicshines.

http://www.ivanhoecycles.com.au/bike...s/cat_259.html

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast