turtles make me hot

Anyone Using Exposure Lights?

I'm thinking of buying Exposure's Toro and Diablo combo package. I went on a couple of night rides with my Fenix Flashlight on my bars and a borrowed Magicshine and I'm hooked.
    Only thing is, I notice everyone on here talks about just about every other light except the Exposures... SO... Anyone using them? What do you have to say?
    I like turtles

Its got what plants crave
    I like them, especially the no wires bit, BUT... I just can't really justify the price and especially the run time. But no wires, and an awesome looking mount have definitely piqued my interest in the past.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I use the Diablo as a helmet light. It is pricey, but it is very bright and very lightweight. I wish that it would have a longer runtime at high or at least have changeable batteries. Beamwise, on the trail it has a nice beam pattern with enough throw and spill. On the road, however, especially a wet road, it would be nicer if it had a more focused beam for greater throw and intensity. This is because road riding is more open with fewer objects like trees and leaves to reflect the light back.

Overall, I like the light, especially with it's cable-free design and lightweight. Runtime for that brightness is also quite good.

One other point -- I ride/commute in Seattle where there is a lot of rain. Waterproof/resistance is important and I found the less expensive options of lights and torches do not do too well in this environment.

turtles make me hot
    gocycling, have you used the piggyback battery to extend the light's runtime? How long does it last on high?
    Two hours would probably be enough for me.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    NYrr496: I do not have the piggyback battery so unfortunately I cannot tell you what it would actually be. According to the specs, the 1-cell piggyback battery gives you 1.5 hours on High and 2.5 hours on High with the 3-cell one.

I have used mine on high for ~50 minutes and the fuel gauge is still green so I suspect that it would give me more than 1 hour on High.

Right now I use the Diablo on my helmet and a Dinotte 200L on the bottom of the drops for my commuter bike. This give me nice light separation when riding and causes drivers to pause as they try to figure out what is coming at them. It would be nice to have one-Diablo/Joystick style lights mounted on each drop instead of the 200Ls because of the cable-free design. I considered that but it would be an expensive experiment to see if it works!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I'm sorry to say this, but Exposure lights are already outdated -> you won't get an XPG Joystick until this summer (maybe not even then), and newer LED technology is already on the way!
    My personal opinion is that it is a mistake to do annual product releases in such a rapidly developing area as lighting. Also, no possibility to upgrade means whatever you buy you are stick with it.
    Of course it is not only Exposure, as a matter of fact most commercial light companies make these mistakes... so look for the ones that don't or get a bargain on a cheap light (like the MS) or even better: a DIY build.
    Just my 2c.

turtles make me hot
    That's understandable. I see the same thing with flashlights.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    As a "bar mounted" light I think Exposure lights are unbeatable - I use a Maxx2 and I'm just sorry that I didn't swing for a more powerful one! Hanging batteries from bars/stems, loose wires etc just doesn't work for me.
    On the other hand I think there are better alternatives than Exposure for "helmet mounting" - a Tesla 5 would probably be my choice! Or even one of the more powerful Lupines if I could afford it. I currently use a Catseye R2 on my helmet which is nicely built but just not bright enough - I will definately be upgrading for next year!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496
    I'm thinking of buying Exposure's Toro and Diablo combo package. I went on a couple of night rides with my Fenix Flashlight on my bars and a borrowed Magicshine and I'm hooked.
    Only thing is, I notice everyone on here talks about just about every other light except the Exposures... SO... Anyone using them? What do you have to say?

Have/use a Maxx (3 beam) and the (older) small one. Very nice; nice spread (mut/fire road riding). Very easy to deal with. I also get use out of them as flashlights. The small one came with a web head strap to make it a superbright headlamp for skiing. I have no MS envy and don't often visit here now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

LOVE my Diablo

I've been running a Diablo all season with a 1 cell piggyback. I've been on 2.5+ hour rides and had no problems. I'm pretty good at switching to med or low on climbs... mostly out of habit from my old lights. But, I use HIGH as often as I need and still plenty of light. Beam pattern is good, quality and quantity of light are outstanding.

Half way into the season I discovered MS and could resist buying one from Geoman. Now I use the MS on my bars and the Diablo with no piggyback on my helmet. Awesome combo... more light than I know what to do with and the bar mount + helmet setup is the bomb-shizzle. Both setups combined weigh less than my last halogen light.

Anyway, back to the point, the the Diablo as a helmet light is perfect and as a bar light is good. This is the first time I've gone helmet mount; didn't like the way the beam washes out the trail and couldn't stand the wires tugging on my helmet and extra weight pushing my head around. I turn the MS on full blast and the Diablo on med and none of the aforementioned problems exist.

Also, the Diablo can snap off it's mount easily (but never accidentally) for use during trail stops/trailside repairs/loading the car/fishing a beer out of the cooler/etc etc. I find myself using it around the house too. Dropped it in my pocket this evening when going out for a run and wasn't sure I'd be back by dark.

Yeah, a little pricey, but not silly pricey like a Lupine. I'm satisfied and don't regret the purchase.

Happy trails.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gocycling
    NYrr496: I do not have the piggyback battery so unfortunately I cannot tell you what it would actually be. According to the specs, the 1-cell piggyback battery gives you 1.5 hours on High and 2.5 hours on High with the 3-cell one.

I have used mine on high for ~50 minutes and the fuel gauge is still green so I suspect that it would give me more than 1 hour on High.

Right now I use the Diablo on my helmet and a Dinotte 200L on the bottom of the drops for my commuter bike. This give me nice light separation when riding and causes drivers to pause as they try to figure out what is coming at them. It would be nice to have one-Diablo/Joystick style lights mounted on each drop instead of the 200Ls because of the cable-free design. I considered that but it would be an expensive experiment to see if it works!

Good logic, I run as many as 5 lights at once on my Ti hardtail on the street, on the bar ends I keep permanently mounted with stainless aircraft cable clamps, a pair of humble looking Brinkmann nylon flashlights. They are a bit old but have 3w luxeons and throw like mad and weigh just 127 grams each with batteries.Run time about 3 hours.
    Studies have shown the human eye can judge the distance and speed of a moving object much better if there is separation between multiple lights rather than a single light on it.
    I keep 'em on all the time as a "get home at sunset" backup, when I actually go out at night I add a pair of Dinotte V's and an Elektrolumens SSC-P4 x3 "little friend" on a clamp in the middle. The little friend spanks them all, it has about 540 lumens though only about 30 min run time on high so I use it like a high beam.
    All bikes weigh 50 lbs. a 50lb. bike doesn't need a lock. a 40lb bike needs a 10lb. lock. a 30 lb. bike needs a 20lb. lock.

mtbr member
    Hey folks, we recently dropped the price on the Exposure Lights Diablo to $199. Can we tempt you with that price?

Performance and long term duability aside (R and D ain't free!) and considering the level of support we will offer our customers if they should have a question or issue (by people here that are paid a more reasonable wage than the poor people putting together some other lights in far off parts of the World (mentioning no names...).

Give our product a try - we have a 14 day money back program and if you think it's worth your time to put together a DIY light we will more than happily refund you. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
    James Penfold
    Exposure Lights USA
    james@ibexsports.com
    www.exposurelightsusa.com

turtles make me hot
    Everyone's feedback here pretty much convinced me, James.
    The lower price is just icing on the cake. Let me ask you this... If I go with the combo Toro and Diablo, there really isn't any reason to go to the Maxx D, is there?
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I would agree with you that the Toro and Diablo combo is more than adequate when combined - the value of this complete package is outstanding IMHO - you will be very impressed with the quality of the Exposure Lights product I assure you and if not you know where to get my attention!! There is no BSing you guys on this here forum so I hope that gives others pause for thought before jumping in and buying other products - if you look around on this site, you will find that we have a history of checking posts and are very proactive in helping users in the long term.
    James Penfold
    Exposure Lights USA
    james@ibexsports.com
    www.exposurelightsusa.com

mtbr member
    love mine. great lights. solid construction - probably the best construction on the market - def better made than my niteriders. however, they are not the brightest for the $$ - i would recommend getting the maxxd and the diablo for your helmet.

mtbr member
    I have the Maxx D and Joystick Maxx and love them both. One thing that's really nice about the joystick, is I can use i on my beach cruiser when I go out to the bar, and fit it inside my pocket without looking like I have a boner.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Diablo & Magicshine

for what it's worth, the Diablo on the helmet and two magicshines on the bars, Y-cable and a single battery. our night rides tend to be climbs and drops so it's a single magicshine on low for the sweaty part and then switch everything on high to get down. after riding with low light for so long all three P7's on high look pretty bright. and BTW, the Diablo is the best everyday flashlight i've owned. couldn't be any easier to carry and it still amazes me how bright it is for "everyday" stuff. just my $.02

turtles make me hot
    I appreciate all the replies. Thanks, guys. I'll be ordering mine up after payday.
    I like turtles