mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Anyone use the Serfas True 1500? Is it waterproof?

Saw the Serfas True 1500 on sale for $200. No mention about how water resistant it is. I commute in the Pacific Northwest so lots of rain.

Anyone use this light in the rain?

My other option is a L&M Seca 750 for about $180. I think that is waterproof.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuckjgc View Post
    Saw the Serfas True 1500 on sale for $200. No mention about how water resistant it is. I commute in the Pacific Northwest so lots of rain.

My suggestion; I'm sure their are a number of lamps that do very in well in wet weather. Lamps from companies like BajaDesigns, DiNotte, and Xeccon ( I'm sure there are more ) have been renown for creating products that are highly resistive to water ingress. Regardless of what you buy find out what warranties and guarantee's are included with the purchase. Then buy from a reputable dealer that will stand behind the product that they sold you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I have no experience with both models you mentioned.
    I was using a P7 flashlight for a few years now, road in a lot of downpours and no problems. Just got this light a while ago, first thing I did was test it in a rainstorm:

SINGFIRE SF-90 BIKE LIGHT REVIEW - YouTube

mtbr member

the reason you might not want to get Seca 750 is because older model lights are less efficient, so you will be lugging around bigger battery than you need for the light output that you get.

i tried both Seca 1400 and Seca 1700 and just between these two the 1400 is far less efficient - much dimmer at the same system weight and same run time. so my advice would be don't get any light that is more than 1 generation behind the curve. a replacement battery for the Seca 750 will cost as much as for Seca 2000 even though it will only get you 1/3 the light, and the battery from your 750 might have been on the shelf for 3 years already and since you can't store a drained battery it probably isn't the freshest any more. so the value in getting something like that is questionable.

just the replacement charger and battery for Seca 750 cost more than the entire Seca 750 system. what does this tell you ? it tells me that the Seca 750 light head itself isn't actually worth much.

on the other hand if you plan to later on upgrade to Seca 1700 or 2000 you would only need to buy the light head as you would already have battery and charger ( albeit your battery at that point would be pretty damn old ).

just some thoughts for you there ...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks, I had no idea. I'm considering the new Dinotte xml-3 with 1500 lumens now.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I had no idea. I'm considering the new Dinotte xml-3 with 1500 lumens now.
    Dinotte headlights ( in stark contrast with their tail lights ) aren't very exciting. However Dinotte build quality is top notch. I have owned Lupine which is a German company considered to be the best, and certainly the most expensive - and i also own Dinotte - well Dinotte build quality is just as good as Lupine, and Dinotte prices are much lower.

the reason Dinotte is no threat to Lupine domination is because Lupine always has the most exciting products - they have both the lightest weight headlight ( Piko ) and the brightest headlight ( Betty ) on the market, this was the case last year and this will again be the case next year - Lupine will always be Lupine.

Dinotte headlights on the other hand are neither especially bright nor especially light, nor have any exciting features the way Light & Motion has, but it's a solidly made product at a reasonable price.

note - i have never owned Dinotte headlights, but i have owned two of their tail lights and both were of excellent quality. my Dinotte box also says "made in USA" on it.

i will also say that last year when i decided my Dinotte tail light was too bright for me i sent it back and after some complaining they refunded my money even though there was nothing wrong with the light.

if you think the Dinotte light will work for you i say go ahead and get it.