fried stuff with cheese

Anyone upgrade their Wilma 5 920lm?

I have the 920 lumen version of the Wilma 5. I noticed that there is an upgrade available that will bring it to 1300 lumens. Just looking for some feedback on if it made a noticeable difference and if you thought it was worth the money? Weighing my options between doing the upgrade or buying a cheap second light.
    Egg

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Your Wilma "920 lumen" is an old version (must be the one with the red led board/platine, and with internal switch I think). These "920 lumens" was a theoretical, kind of datasheet value, the real lumen of that model was around 550 lumen.
    In the meanwhile, Lupine switched to specify/declare the "real", measured lumen, which also applies to those upgrades. The upgrade 22 degree has 1200 real lumens, so it doubles your output.
    I think it is a substantial update, well visible. I recommend to stick to the 22 degree version, the 26 degree version lack some throw in the depth IMO.

I made that analogous upgrade on the Lupine Betty level, from real 900 to real 1900lumen, see here to get the idea of the improvement:
    • Thema anzeigen - Lupine Betty 22W vor / nach before / after upgrade Bilder

This thread shows pics of the newer lamps in their 16/22/26degree version lenses, here you can get an idea what those lenses give:
    • Thema anzeigen - Unser Leuchtvergleich 2011

I would say those upgrades from the red to the green led board/platine was the most substantial lupine ever had, doubling the output. I doubt there will be something similar in future, because there will probably not be another such big step in the led technology.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CHnuschti View Post
    I think it is a substantial update, well visible. I recommend to stick to the 22 degree version, the 26 degree version lack some throw in the depth IMO.

I would say those upgrades from the red to the green led board/platine was the most substantial lupine ever had, doubling the output. I doubt there will be something similar in future, because there will probably not be another such big step in the led technology.
    Totally agree.
    Actually, you are two upgrades behind, there was a P4 -> XPG upgrade first, then an XPG -> XML/XPG. When I bought the XML upgrade I put back the old P4 board just for fun and to see how much Lupine has progressed. Man... I cannot even image how I could have ever ridden with so little light... ;-)

My only gripe is the lens, I really liked the original 18 degree, it was really smooth with no edges, the current lens have a sharp cutoff. But the sheer amount of light is totally worth it.

fried stuff with cheese
    Thank you. So you think it's better to go with a little less lumens for a better beam angle?
    Egg

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    This comparison should show more or less how your upgrade would look like before/after:

Go into linked thread, there are the same pictures from another point of view.

There is just a small difference as far as your lupine is 17W, where the pics before are 15W and after 19W, but those +/- 2W do not contribute very much to the beam shot.
    The upgrade effect is impressive, I would say

16degree IMO lacks illumination in the near field, while gains nothing in the width, compared to the 22degree. On the other hand 26degree lacks some throw in the width while gains nothing in the near field, compared to the 22degree.

Best is to download the pictures into a folder, then viewing them with IrfanView, you can switch trough the pics with the mouse wheel forth and back, so you get a good idea of the change.

mtbr member
    I would go with a 22 upgrade or I have a Wilma 1100 and a Betty 1850 I would sell for a good price also
    '08 Turner Highline
    '00 DBR X6